Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you try using the Home button on the gamepad? There might've been a few options and the store clerk just went "uh.... this one!"

No, I had the same thing happen to me in the local Target, there's a WiiU set up but it only has movies on it. Maybe they didn't put the demo disc in it or something but it was pretty disappointing.

But the controller did feel good in my hands and the screen looked nice so there's that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I started to get on board with the idea of buying a Wii U recently for the new Monster Hunter title... only to find out that Nintendo has made it region locked like the 3DS.

This is so maddening when you live in a non-english speaking country and want to play games in english. Not a problem on PS3, 360, or DS. So now I have to decide if it's worth importing everything from the US forever. Gee, thanks Nintendo.

What really sold me on wanting the hardware was update on the controller talking about how they got the latency down to less than 1/60th a second, which is impressive given how inconsistent it was reported to be when they first unveiled it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The gamestop at my school still doesn't have one up. When I asked the employee said "Yeah we have it but we're not gonna put it up because then the place would be full all the time."

At least they were honest. Sucks though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

The gamestop at my school still doesn't have one up. When I asked the employee said "Yeah we have it but we're not gonna put it up because then the place would be full all the time."

Call me crazy, but wouldn't that be a GOOD thing?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Call me crazy, but wouldn't that be a GOOD thing?

I work in retail and I understand. More people = More annoyance = Life is a lot harder.

Working at the gamestop here is cushy as gently caress. One or two customers an hour, absolutely nothing to do, just get paid to be on your phone for 7 hours and clock out. If I were in their shoes I'd delay changing that as much as I could too.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLQ1TnH4IY
Watching this LP has made me think: How loving cool would it be if they released a downloadable 2D Zelda game with smooth visuals and high-def sprites?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 30, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

skywalker6705 posted:

I started to get on board with the idea of buying a Wii U recently for the new Monster Hunter title... only to find out that Nintendo has made it region locked like the 3DS.

This is so maddening when you live in a non-english speaking country and want to play games in english. Not a problem on PS3, 360, or DS. So now I have to decide if it's worth importing everything from the US forever.

You know, they're going to be putting a lot of retail games on the eShop, and until December 2014 you get 10% of the value back from digital purchases if you buy the deluxe console package. If you had enough external storage you might be able to just rely on downloading games.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Bobnumerotres posted:

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLQ1TnH4IY
Watching this LP has made me think: How loving cool would it be if they released a downloadable 2D Zelda game with smooth visuals and high-def sprites?

Internet is scary, and that would cost beaucoup money. That ain't gonna happen unless the game would merit a physical release, too.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bobnumerotres posted:

At least they were honest. Sucks though.

Call corporate and let them know. They're going to have to roll the thing out the next time their Area Manager/a Nintendo rep (rarely, but it happens) comes by anyways because Nintendo is paying good cash for these machines to be placed and if GameStop doesn't comply they're in serious poo poo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Call corporate and let them know. They're going to have to roll the thing out the next time their Area Manager/a Nintendo rep (rarely, but it happens) comes by anyways because Nintendo is paying good cash for these machines to be placed and if GameStop doesn't comply they're in serious poo poo.

Yeah let me get a bunch of cool people fired/in serious poo poo because they don't have the precious display up. :rolleyes:

It's retail work. If you're getting paid under 15k a year you are entitled to not working.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

I love my store's reason for having it turned against the wall and unplugged: little kids tore the poo poo out of first 3DS display, and when I was working there I was constantly cleaning it from finger prints and other bodily fluids. The poor thing eventually broke to the little mongrels, I believe, but I left waaaaaaaaay before I could see that happening. Bet it was one of the regular temper tantrums we get. "I DON'T WANNA LEAVE *so I'll just grab the nearest stack of games and throw it to the ground*"

We kept the Vita in the glass display box, we are keeping the Wii U off. District Manager gave/gives no fucks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah but maybe if people complain about it, including straight to Nintendo, we can avoid Gamestop exclusivity bullshit from gaining momentum.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's retail work. If you're getting paid under 15k a year you are entitled to not working.

Wow, wish I thought like this when I was sweating my rear end off in a UPS warehouse unloading trucks for 9 bucks an hour when I was back in college. I could have just hosed off in retail and made more money for nothing!

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 30, 2012

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM
Nov 18, 2005

Love?

Bobnumerotres posted:

If you're getting paid under 15k a year you are entitled to not working.

OCCUPY GAMESTOP

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Edoraz posted:

I love my store's reason for having it turned against the wall and unplugged: little kids tore the poo poo out of first 3DS display, and when I was working there I was constantly cleaning it from finger prints and other bodily fluids. The poor thing eventually broke to the little mongrels, I believe, but I left waaaaaaaaay before I could see that happening. Bet it was one of the regular temper tantrums we get. "I DON'T WANNA LEAVE *so I'll just grab the nearest stack of games and throw it to the ground*"

We kept the Vita in the glass display box, we are keeping the Wii U off. District Manager gave/gives no fucks.

I have not been to a single electronics store with a working 3ds display in two months. They all have non working displays all destroyed by children. Granted this is a sample size of four stores in one metropolitan area, but still. I imagine the same would happen to WiiUs.

Man, I remember the immaculate N64 display in Toys R Us when I was a kid. I practically played through half of Mario 64 before it even came out. How did kids not destroy THAT? Controller was fragile as hell.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah let me get a bunch of cool people fired/in serious poo poo because they don't have the precious display up. :rolleyes:

We'll see how "cool" these people are when that work ethic/attitude keeps them working at Gamestop into their forties.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Bobnumerotres posted:

If you're getting paid under $1 a year you are entitled to not working.

I don't understand the mentality behind defending poor decision making by people not even authorized to make such a decision. It's not even like they're expressing their concerns in a constructive way. Corporate says install this thing and then they don't, betting on the idea that they won't notice since they're just one store among many.

EDIT: To bring this back around to the Wii U and how this is relevant, I wasn't going to buy one until I managed to find one of these displays and try it out. Because of that, Nintendo probably wants these displays everywhere since their consoles tend to weird people out initially. Once they try them firsthand, people go apeshit over them.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Wouldn't the increased traffic give them more opportunities to sell people pre-orders for games and systems (Like, say, the Wii U)? I thought that was something they actually rewarded them for.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Yeah but maybe if people complain about it, including straight to Nintendo, we can avoid Gamestop exclusivity bullshit from gaining momentum.

I'd be down for this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It might be a good decision though. Like above, you are going to avert tantrums potential problems in the store, potential break ins or robberies, potential non customers loitering and scaring off real customers(see any pen and paper gaming store). It's something that should be up to individual franchises.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

greatn posted:

It might be a good decision though. Like above, you are going to avert tantrums potential problems in the store, potential break ins or robberies, potential non customers loitering and scaring off real customers(see any pen and paper gaming store). It's something that should be up to individual franchises.

Gamestop isn't a franchise.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Gamestop isn't a franchise.

You are correct. Individual store, whatever.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

We'll see how "cool" these people are when that work ethic/attitude keeps them working at Gamestop into their forties.

The comment's being taken in the worst way. You get paid by the hour, raises are extremely unlikely, and promotions mean quintuple the responsibility for a 10% raise or so. Which means you work only hard enough to not get fired. In retail that usually means not doing jack poo poo. Not exactly going to affect your chances of getting a different, far better job.

quote:

Wow, wish I thought like this when I was sweating my rear end off in a UPS warehouse unloading trucks for 9 bucks an hour when I was back in college. I could have just hosed off in retail and made more money for nothing!
I worked at a super crowded Home Depot, which meant all the fun of retail plus constant back-breaking work. Sure it built character and everything, but I'm getting paid more at a different store where I am doing poo poo-all, sort of feels like an upgrade.

quote:

have not been to a single electronics store with a working 3ds display in two months. They all have non working displays all destroyed by children. Granted this is a sample size of four stores in one metropolitan area, but still. I imagine the same would happen to WiiUs.
Yeah now this console has a super sensitive and expensive controller that dumb kids will destroy. Probably not easy to replace with the hardware shortages, either.

Besides, working at a tech store, corporate wants all kinds of stupid things and don't take the context into consideration. Gamestop on the lovely part of Calle Ocho that's open until well past sundown is not going to put out expensive electronics on display, regardless of what corporate wants.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 30, 2012

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah now this console has a super sensitive and expensive controller that dumb kids will destroy. Probably not easy to replace with the hardware shortages, either.

What's the difference between having a broken console that you can't replace and one that isn't even set up?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Wii u discussion ii: Work is for suckers

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Bobnumerotres posted:

The comment's being taken in the worst way. You get paid by the hour, raises are extremely unlikely, and promotions mean quintuple the responsibility for a 10% raise or so. Which means you work only hard enough to not get fired. In retail that usually means not doing jack poo poo. Not exactly going to affect your chances of getting a different, far better job.

I worked at a super crowded Home Depot, which meant all the fun of retail plus constant back-breaking work. Sure it built character and everything, but I'm getting paid more at a different store where I am doing poo poo-all, sort of feels like an upgrade.

Besides, working at a tech store, corporate wants all kinds of stupid things and don't take the context into consideration. Gamestop on the lovely part of Calle Ocho that's open until well past sundown is not going to put out expensive electronics on display, regardless of what corporate wants.

The true point is that it really doesn't matter what the store employees think about what corporate is asking them to do. They should just do it. If they disagree with an order, they should funnel it up and not cowardly protest it by disobeying and hoping it goes unnoticed.

Whatever happened to doing a job the way it's supposed to be done? I get not enjoying a job. At times, I don't enjoy mine. But I still do it because I want it tomorrow.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Surlaw posted:

Wii u discussion ii: Work is for suckers

This is actually relevant since you can tie it into Nintendo not doing online with Mario or NLand.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Smuckles posted:

Whatever happened to doing a job the way it's supposed to be done? I get not enjoying a job. At times, I don't enjoy mine. But I still do it because I want it tomorrow.

Somebody is stuck in TVLand~! Sorry guy, but arguing with guys in suits who know nothing about the work or environment is about as fun as pouring acid in your eyes. At worst, they'll fire the degreeless peasant, and best, they'll take your idea, fire you, then run with it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Bobnumerotres posted:

This is actually relevant since you can tie it into Nintendo not doing online with Mario or NLand.

Oh boy, we're back to this old chestnut :allears:

Please tell us about how lazy these drat developers are.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the lack of online is more of a problem of philosophy and (non political) conservatism than work ethic.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Jesus what did I start. All I meant to say I that GameStop gets paid (by Nintendo) to display that WiiU, not to decide it's too much of a hassle. I worked at GameStop (in Germany) and we always have to make sure paid displays (such as the Blizzard corner) were set up properly, otherwise corporate would bitch because whoever paid for it would bitch.

Video games.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

zenintrude posted:

Oh boy, we're back to this old chestnut :allears:

Please tell us about how lazy these drat developers are.

I believe the problem is they're not lazy enough, if they're putting in more than the bare minimal effort to get the game to work then they're just not my kind of guys.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I think the lack of online is more of a problem of philosophy and (non political) conservatism than work ethic.

Yes, I was making a joke, once again. Their philosophy does suck though. I'm a giant Nintendo fanboy or whatever the term is now but "Well everyone's doing online and it's an industry standard, but we don't like it. :colbert:" is just :psyduck:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Here's how the Deluxe Digital Promotion, aka 10% back, will work:

quote:

All games and DLC purchased from the Wii U eShop will return 10 percent of their value in points – 599 points for a $59.99 game, for example. Every 500 points accrued will be redeemable for a code for $5 in credit, usable on either the Wii U or 3DS eShop.

The promotion will begin counting purchases on the Wii U's November 18 launch day, through December 31, 2014, though the website to track purchases won't be up until December. You'll be able to sign into the site with your "Nintendo Network ID" and password, presumably the same account you'll create on the Wii U itself.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/30/wii-u-deluxe-digital-promotion-detailed/

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yes, I was making a joke, once again. Their philosophy does suck though. I'm a giant Nintendo fanboy or whatever the term is now but "Well everyone's doing online and it's an industry standard, but we don't like it. :colbert:" is just :psyduck:

Especially when so many of their franchises would benefit from some greatly implemented online multiplayer. Hell, i'd probably play Mario Party for hours at a time if I could play it online with friends.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

I agree, sometimes they place a lot of emphasis on being different just to be different.

Does every game need an online mode tacked on? No. But have the games with online modes tacked on where you might not expect it in the last few years been pretty fun and satisfying, and profitable? You bet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Especially when so many of their franchises would benefit from some greatly implemented online multiplayer. Hell, i'd probably play Mario Party for hours at a time if I could play it online with friends.

Pokemon has benefited tremendously from being able to go online to trade and battle. They implemented this feature the moment they had a capable device, as well as with Mario Kart. poo poo double dash on the GC had online if you had that weird port thing.

Mario party? Mario platformers? Mii-centric games? No way! Putting in online would ruin the couch play experience. Going with this philosophy I'm amazed Smash bros even had that super bare-bones online.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 30, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Nintendo's hesitancy for online play may be related to the desire/necessity for monetization. You think the Smash Tourney scene complains a lot about Brawl: just wait until you can micro-transact to get a +5 Hat of Meteor Smash Radius. (I hope I didn't just curse this into existence.)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Nintendo's hesitancy for online play may be related to the desire/necessity for monetization. You think the Smash Tourney scene complains a lot about Brawl: just wait until you can micro-transact to get a +5 Hat of Meteor Smash Radius. (I hope I didn't just curse this into existence.)

What? This doesn't make any sense. Their hesitation is nearly all due to conservative ideas of how games should be played. They have all the money in the world, and very talented people that can do online.

They've done online before and have never monetized it, in fact they are appalled by such an idea. They just don't like people playing multiplayer online instead of in the same living room. This is seriously the reason.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chaltab posted:

This still doesn't make any sense. They literally do not care what those dirty evil nerd super bad tourney players have to say about anything regarding Smash Bros. If Nintendo wants more money, there's no reason for them to NOT turn Smash Bros into a microtransaction carnival. So you lose the "hardcore" that they already mostly disregarded in the first place, they still would make truckloads of money off of people who just want a new hat for Link.

People will bitch about DLC no matter what it is regardless of quality or size, because some people don't like to spend extra money on a game they already own. Nintendo could easily ignore the whiners (like they have regarding other aspects of their business) and do just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Didn't Nintendo just recently mention that they wouldn't have paid DLC for Animal Crossing because it would take the game's functional price into the silly zone? That doesn't jive with this sudden idea out of nowhere that they're about to go hogwild with DLC Smash Bros hats or whatever.

• Locked thread