Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Gravity Pike posted:

If many different people are suddenly looking into your credit score, it might indicate that you're looking to start engaging in transactions that all rely on you having good credit. Even if you've had a good credit history, no card company wants to be one of twelve new credit lines that you decided to open up, all at the same time.

So why not make the negative impact based on applications or acceptance instead of looking up the score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I come from a country where we don't use credit scores so the concept is a bit alien to me; how important are they really over someone's average life? And what is a 'good' score? Is it 100? Is it 1000?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

tarepanda posted:

So why not make the negative impact based on applications or acceptance instead of looking up the score?

That's how I feel about it. Nothing wrong with being curious, in fact, isn't it a good thing that someone keeps track of their score?

I got mine from the guy at the bank when I got my credit card. He just told me straight up, wasn't going to make me pay for it or anything.

Namarrgon posted:

I come from a country where we don't use credit scores so the concept is a bit alien to me; how important are they really over someone's average life? And what is a 'good' score? Is it 100? Is it 1000?

I don't know the logistics but mine was 750ish and I was told that was a respectable score. Not phenomenal, but more importantly, not utterly horrific.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

tarepanda posted:

The negative impact only comes from hard inquiries, such an applying for credit. Soft inquiries, such as you looking at your own score, do not have an impact.

Namarrgon posted:

The highest score is 850. Anything over 750 is usually considered "excellent" and is enough to secure the best rates. How important they are depends on how much you depend on credit. For most people (in the US at least), it's essential for things like buying a car or a house. Having excellent credit means a lower interest rate, which means less money paid over the life of the loan.

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 30, 2012

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

There's something I've been wondering for a while now, so a question for you US goons:

Is telephone etiquette in the US really like in the movies and tv shows, regarding ending the conversation? I mean, here in the Netherlands, and the rest of Europe as far as I know, it's pretty standard to say goodbye in some fashion before hanging up, giving the other person on the line the chance to stop you if they have another question or wanting to say something before the conversation ends.

In American tv and movies people just hang up when they're satisfied, something that seems really odd and rude to me.

-"Hey John, what's the deal with so and so?"
-"Oh, hi Peter, well, it's such and such."
-"Okay, thanks." *click*

Rarely you see a conversation being ended properly with a goodbye or see you or whatever, and when you do it's most often done to emphasize a relationship between the characters, usually saying love or miss you or something similar.

It's a difference I've started noticing since my mom got older and started doing it. It's really, really annoying because often I have to call her back to clarify something. A conversation should end when both parties agree it's over, not when one of the parties decides it is.

Before then I guess I've always figured it was a stylistic or pragmatic choice in tv and movies, but now I'm not so sure. It could just as easily be a cultural difference.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
No. It's a constant annoyance to see people use the phone like that in TV and movies. What annoys me even more is, for example, a henchman calls the boss:

*phone rings*
Boss: Yeah?
[henchman speaks to him; we don't get to hear it]
[Boss hangs up]

That's not only rude, but if you say anything then the guy isn't waiting there for 5-10 seconds to realize the line's dead.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's what I figured, or at least hoped/expected. Now I'm left wondering why it's done that way in the movies. A quick bye doesn't seem intrusive at all, so why not make the conversation more natural?

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Taeke posted:

That's what I figured, or at least hoped/expected. Now I'm left wondering why it's done that way in the movies. A quick bye doesn't seem intrusive at all, so why not make the conversation more natural?

On a show like 24 it kept the suspense going. Exchanging an 2-5 second "Bye then" period after every call could have made it slightly less intense.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Taeke posted:

There's something I've been wondering for a while now, so a question for you US goons:

Is telephone etiquette in the US really like in the movies and tv shows, regarding ending the conversation? I mean, here in the Netherlands, and the rest of Europe as far as I know, it's pretty standard to say goodbye in some fashion before hanging up, giving the other person on the line the chance to stop you if they have another question or wanting to say something before the conversation ends.

In American tv and movies people just hang up when they're satisfied, something that seems really odd and rude to me.

-"Hey John, what's the deal with so and so?"
-"Oh, hi Peter, well, it's such and such."
-"Okay, thanks." *click*

Rarely you see a conversation being ended properly with a goodbye or see you or whatever, and when you do it's most often done to emphasize a relationship between the characters, usually saying love or miss you or something similar.

It's a difference I've started noticing since my mom got older and started doing it. It's really, really annoying because often I have to call her back to clarify something. A conversation should end when both parties agree it's over, not when one of the parties decides it is.

Before then I guess I've always figured it was a stylistic or pragmatic choice in tv and movies, but now I'm not so sure. It could just as easily be a cultural difference.

I think it's just slightly rude and/or arrogant to hang up fast; some Americans are rude and/or arrogant. In the movies it's a stylistic choice. Phone behavior changes as people drop land lines and adopt mobile lines.

Some people still say 'Hello?' when they pick up the phone, including myself since the screen is broken on my cell and I can't see who is calling. :cool:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

Is telephone etiquette in the US really like in the movies and tv shows, regarding ending the conversation?

In general, no. They take shortcuts like that when making TV shows because there's a pretty hard limit on how long an episode can be. Trimming out things like that in a telephone call leave more time for fart jokes. IRL people are more courteous on the phone, at least in my experience.

Golbez posted:

Boss: Yeah?
[henchman speaks to him; we don't get to hear it]
[Boss hangs up]

After re-reading this I realize you're still talking about TV, but I have worked with people who basically were like this. I used to be a deck officer on a ship, and one of our SOPs was to call the engine room and tell them about X Y or Z if they happened. One dude in particular wouldn't say a loving word. You'd hear the other end pick up, but there was just silence. Say "Hello? Are you there?" and get a "yes" if you're lucky. After saying what you had to say, he'd just hang up without any acknowledgement. Total rear end in a top hat.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I can't speak for the US but (well-written) dialogue in TV and movies is supposed to be as lean and streamlined as possible. You drop all the normal pleasantries and babbling to advance the story. You may also notice, for example, that fictional dialogue rarely has people answering questions straight – they'll often answer with another question. So, TV dialogue is not really a good way to gauge how people would actually speak in a similar situation.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
What's a good place to take an old dad on his birthday? His birthday is also on Veteran's Day and he's an Air Force vet but thinks the Air Force is stupid so he doesn't have any military ID or anything. He always likes taking advantage of free stuff so getting whatever will be a fun kick for him.

Edit: "It's so iconic and American" \/ \/

GreenCard78 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 30, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is related to a discussion my roommate and I had last night in which we were discussing Andy Worhol and why his art is so popular/significant. The discussion cut short when we realized that we don't know how to judge art.

So what exactly makes Worhol's art so great? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to understand why art exhibits would give the time of day to a painting of a Campbell's soup can or a sculpture of soap boxes.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Mak0rz posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to understand why art exhibits would give the time of day to a painting of a Campbell's soup can or a sculpture of soap boxes.

That was kind of Warhol's point with it, actually

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

That was kind of Warhol's point with it, actually

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I don't know much about the guy, but he's often depicted in media as being one of those obnoxious hipster types. Is irony a big part of it then?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I don't know much about the guy, but he's often depicted in media as being one of those obnoxious hipster types. Is irony a big part of it, then?

I suppose you could say it was an irony thing. He was certainly an odd and controversial man. I'm not an art historian or anything, but I think he did bring some interesting thoughts to the public discourse regarding consumerism and what not. Plus I guess he just found beauty in the mundane (a soup can) and literally just silk screened that, which all of sudden made it art, as opposed to a grocery item.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

GreenCard78 posted:

What's a good place to take an old dad on his birthday? His birthday is also on Veteran's Day and he's an Air Force vet but thinks the Air Force is stupid so he doesn't have any military ID or anything. He always likes taking advantage of free stuff so getting whatever will be a fun kick for him.

Edit: "It's so iconic and American" \/ \/

One of my lodge brothers used to take another brother (since deceased, rest his soul) to Hooters on his birthday every year.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

So what exactly makes Worhol's art so great? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to understand why art exhibits would give the time of day to a painting of a Campbell's soup can or a sculpture of soap boxes.

You think that's bad?

There was certainly a period of challenging the notion of "what is art" but then it just turned into more dick-swinging by the new art critics who "got it." Tom Wolfe wrote an interesting short book about it, "The Painted Word," where he describes how various critics championed different artists and then used that as a platform to espouse their personal theory of art.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I don't know much about the guy, but he's often depicted in media as being one of those obnoxious hipster types. Is irony a big part of it then?

Warhol is who ironic hipsters want to be.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I bought a package of italian sausage back in early september. I cooked half of it immediately, and the other half has been in my freezer since. Is it safe to eat?

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
It's fine. Enjoy.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
TV/movie goodbyes:

Wait, I don't think I saw anyone say the regular answer I've heard to this--that "goodbye" kind of shuts down the brain of the audience through some Pavlovian mechanism. Every time I've seen such a discussion, that is the first answer someone gives. Even if it's not true at this point, enough people believe it.

But yeah, like most of us agreed, it is not what normal, polite people do. I'm personally one of the sad sacks that cannot hang up first.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
It's just one of those things that are more or less only done by people in movies and TV that is starting to be noticeable enough to pull me out of the film. That, and women holding sheets up over their chest right after having sex. I don't care if it's a PG-13 movie, that's not what happens, find a more intelligent way to avoid showing boobs.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Why are 700 MB CDs limited to only 80 minutes? Why can't I add more than 80 minutes worth of music as long as its under 700 MB?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
^^^ That's in CD Audio, PCM form, as in what actual CDs that are burned are. At the bitrate those CDs are encoded at, 80 minutes of music encompasses 700mb of data.

If you want to burn MP3s to the CD, you can squeeze as many on there as you want.

Also, Used to be you could show boobs in PG-13 movies. How far we have fallen.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 30, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Starpluck posted:

Why are 700 MB CDs limited to only 80 minutes? Why can't I add more than 80 minutes worth of music as long as its under 700 MB?

Because CDs have a fixed bitrate, so eighty minutes takes up 700mb regardless of the source quality.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Why aren't there a lot of original German Neitzche books on eBay? There's about 1700 in English and only 30-ish in German.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the posted:

Why aren't there a lot of original German Neitzche books on eBay? There's about 1700 in English and only 30-ish in German.

Because you didn't look on eBay Germany: http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=Nietzsche&_sacat=0&_from=R40

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Also, Used to be you could show boobs in PG-13 movies. How far we have fallen.

You still can. It just can't be "sexually oriented." So Kate Winslet being painted in the nude in Titanic is fine, but bare breasts in a sex scene aren't. You're also allowed one use of the word "gently caress" but not two.

Wanna pine for the good ol' days? Sixteen Candles is rated PG but has nudity in the opening shower scene. That's because it came out a few months before PG-13 existed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What's the etiquette in an apartment with shared wash/dry units for moving other people's clothes that are left in the units? When you have your own load in the pipeline?

I've always moved it to a sorting table or on top of the dryer, but I hate doing it. Grabbing other people's underwear makes me feel like such a creep.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

kimbo305 posted:

What's the etiquette in an apartment with shared wash/dry units for moving other people's clothes that are left in the units? When you have your own load in the pipeline?

I've always moved it to a sorting table or on top of the dryer, but I hate doing it. Grabbing other people's underwear makes me feel like such a creep.

gently caress 'em. They should know how long a load takes and should come get their stuff when it's done.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

kimbo305 posted:

I leave my hamper on top of the dryer, so if I'm not there to pick up my clothes, there's a place for the next user to put them. I'm generally less willing to move people's clothes out of the washer when they're still wet. I try to give people a reasonable amount of time to clean up their own laundry, but will do it for them after that. "Reasonable" depends on how much of a hurry I'm in, and how long their stuff has been done.

You're within your socially accepted rights to move it to the top of the dryer or a sorting table. As long as you're not perving out over bras/panties, my understanding is that nobody really gives a poo poo.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
I, too, leave my laundry bag atop the washer or dryer so it's known to be in-use and someone can bag my things if they can't wait ten minutes, but I understand proper etiquette in North Milwaukee to be "eject clothes onto cement floor while still wet so you can use the rest of their drying time for free :haw:" so it's really different everywhere, I guess.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

I leave my hamper on top of the dryer, so if I'm not there to pick up my clothes, there's a place for the next user to put them. I'm generally less willing to move people's clothes out of the washer when they're still wet. I try to give people a reasonable amount of time to clean up their own laundry, but will do it for them after that. "Reasonable" depends on how much of a hurry I'm in, and how long their stuff has been done.

You're within your socially accepted rights to move it to the top of the dryer or a sorting table. As long as you're not perving out over bras/panties, my understanding is that nobody really gives a poo poo.

I had a guy nearly punch my light out once for moving it on top of the washer, it had been done for nearly an hour and the second I finished taking his clothes out he came downstairs. gently caress you, there are 5 washers and 20 floors in this building, rear end in a top hat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Taeke posted:

A conversation should end when both parties agree it's over, not when one of the parties decides it is.

I work in a call centre, and I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have absolutely no idea how to end a phone call. I'll say "Thanks for your time, <contact information, legal bullshit>, have a nice afternoon." and they say "Thanks." and then just hang on the line awkwardly. Also a lot of people seem to think that the correct response to "thank you" is "thank you". You thank them for anything and they just thank you back.

second-hand smegma posted:

Some people still say 'Hello?' when they pick up the phone, including myself since the screen is broken on my cell and I can't see who is calling. :cool:

Well, how else would you answer the phone?

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I can't speak for the US but (well-written) dialogue in TV and movies is supposed to be as lean and streamlined as possible. You drop all the normal pleasantries and babbling to advance the story.

This is because the way people speak in real life is really disjointed and awkward. Most of the time people don't know exactly what they want to say when they start speaking so they stop in the middle of sentences, repeat things, jump from one thought to another and generally make a mess of it. Our brains just filter that out so you don't notice, unless it's really extreme. But if you want to see it, try recording an ordinary conversation and then later listen back to it and try writing it down. Written down, it looks almost incomprehensible.

SIHappiness posted:

You still can. It just can't be "sexually oriented." So Kate Winslet being painted in the nude in Titanic is fine, but bare breasts in a sex scene aren't. You're also allowed one use of the word "gently caress" but not two.

I've often wondered about this. How is one "gently caress" OK but not two? What's the reasoning there?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Tiggum posted:

"What's up, [name you read on the caller ID screen]?"

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tiggum posted:

"Thank you for calling Pizza Hut, would you like to try our meat lover's special?"
"Suicide hotline, please hold."
"If you don't stop calling me I'm going to get a restraining order!!"

I personally usually do "<Firstname> <Lastname>" if I know it's from a colleague; that saves time if they've mis-dialed. That is if I don't just let it ring to voicemail because who the gently caress answers a phone these days? (Other than those whose job it is to do so, I suppose.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This post in another thread reminded me of something I've been wondering about for a while now:

An observer posted:

If Romney gets elected and gets rid of the "preexisting condition" thing that Obamacare did, once I turn 26 and lose my parents' insurance, I am hosed because the medication I take for my (preexisting) autoimmune disorder costs like $3k a month. Murrrrrca gently caress yeeeeah!

How does this work in America? If you need $3000 worth of medication per month to live and you don't have insurance, what happens? Do you die? Do you declare bankruptcy every month because you keep racking up $3000 worth of debt that you can't pay? What happens?

And if you go to the emergency room, you have to pay for that, right? But they can't just kick you out or refuse to treat you? So what happens if you can't pay for that?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Tiggum posted:

This post in another thread reminded me of something I've been wondering about for a while now:

How does this work in America? If you need $3000 worth of medication per month to live and you don't have insurance, what happens? Do you die? Do you declare bankruptcy every month because you keep racking up $3000 worth of debt that you can't pay? What happens?

And if you go to the emergency room, you have to pay for that, right? But they can't just kick you out or refuse to treat you? So what happens if you can't pay for that?

Some die, most go bankrupt/into unpayable debt, yes, and I guess you've never heard of hospital workers literally dumping unable-to-pay people outside (I think they may have been homeless)? We have like what, 50,000 preventable deaths in this country per year because people can't afford insurance or treatment :patriot:

An observer fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Tiggum posted:

Either amazing amounts of debt or you die.

edit: It's weird, I grew up dirt poor, no medical insurance and poo poo really. So now that I'm an adult at 29, I recently broke my foot and walked it off for 6 months because growing up, going to a doctor is something you just don't do, unless something is OBVIOUSLY hosed (bleeding or mangled)

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 31, 2012