Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Zool has an RS125, a 2T racebike (for kids). It looks fun as hell but high maintenance. It's fast but the power band is extremely narrow. It's great, but I'd keep your SV around for backup :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Gullous posted:

My R6 seized up. I'm grateful it went out as I was pitting on my last session.

As I was pulling into my pit the engine made a lovely sound, like a terrible pinging. I killed the engine, waited, and tried to turn it over. Nothing. Rear wheel won't turn, even in 6th.

Time to tear into it...

How was the oil level?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gullous posted:

Zool has an RS125, a 2T racebike (for kids). It looks fun as hell but high maintenance. It's fast but the power band is extremely narrow. It's great, but I'd keep your SV around for backup :)

Sent him a PM, will see what he says. Maintenance I'm not too worried about, I already change oil and check valves on the CRF after every track day. Sure it might cost a little more (250-300 for a top end rebuild every 300 miles) but they look so fun.

Going to go look at the one my friends kid races this weekend, maybe take it for a spin.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

aventari posted:

How was the oil level?

Good, a lot came out! I had just changed the stator cover and oil so I checked it a handful of times throughout the day.

If I had to guess the cause, I'd pick the RTV I used to seal the stator cover. I was careful to apply very little sealant, but perhaps some broke loose, entered the oil stream and plugged an oil passage?

I'll open the engine up this weekend.

quote:

Sent him a PM, will see what he says. Maintenance I'm not too worried about, I already change oil and check valves on the CRF after every track day. Sure it might cost a little more (250-300 for a top end rebuild every 300 miles) but they look so fun.

That's cool, it sounds like you're prepared. With Zool's RS, FINDING the parts is an issue. Honda has moved on to 4T for their spec class, so new pistons are rare. I guess there are CR125 swap conversions, but it takes some 'thinkin' to get it running.

Despite all that, I encourage you to do it!

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 7, 2012

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Hooray track days. Gonna go out and have some fun at Little Tally this weekend with Josh Herrin (and brothers) and Huntley Nash. First track day in 6 months :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
So there's a chance I'll be picking up an SV650s soon for a trackbike, and, considering the only piece of bodywork on it is the tail piece, I'm wondering if I should get a cheap front fairing simply for damage protection if I were to dump it. It has frame sliders, but that's about it.

And I know you recommended not to put any extra money into it z3n, but I'm curious if the cost of it would offset any possible damage from not having one in the case of a crash.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I bought a practically new 09 Street Triple (800 miles) this year and have just been tossing money at it to make it nice but I've always wanted to take it to the limit in a safe environment. I was pretty hesitant to try it out but when I found myself trying to apply stuff I was reading in Twist of the Wrist and Sport Riding Techniques I decided I was better off trying it at the track vs the street.

I ended up buying a 1 piece suit because my jacket didnt have a pant zipper option and I didnt want to buy a new jack/pant combo vs the suit. I ended up spending $500 on a suit and became really nervous I would get too freaked out about the track and will have wasted a lot of money....till my first lap around a track.

Now I cant see how anyone with a non cruiser bike can not want to take their bike to the track, I'm no where near pushing it to the limit and I'm still having a blast. I went with a friend who has only been riding for 3 months and only 2 on his GSXR 600 and I think one more 20 min session on the track he would have had his knee on the ground.

Hockey (goalie), Photography, and now motorcycle track days. Why must awesome things be so loving expensive.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

AncientTV posted:

So there's a chance I'll be picking up an SV650s soon for a trackbike, and, considering the only piece of bodywork on it is the tail piece, I'm wondering if I should get a cheap front fairing simply for damage protection if I were to dump it. It has frame sliders, but that's about it.

And I know you recommended not to put any extra money into it z3n, but I'm curious if the cost of it would offset any possible damage from not having one in the case of a crash.

Track fairings are cheap, I'd throw something on there.

I have clip ons, rear sets, and a rear shock if you decide to get this as I'm parting out my SV650S track bike. Some other misc bits too (big bag of spare bolts, etc).

Hit me up if you need anything.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

Track fairings are cheap, I'd throw something on there.

I have clip ons, rear sets, and a rear shock if you decide to get this as I'm parting out my SV650S track bike. Some other misc bits too (big bag of spare bolts, etc).

Hit me up if you need anything.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks

You picked up a Gen 1, right? I have a cheap front fairing stay, yours for shipping plus 20 bucks or whatever. You can bend the mounting arms on it so it fits just about any fairings.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

You picked up a Gen 1, right? I have a cheap front fairing stay, yours for shipping plus 20 bucks or whatever. You can bend the mounting arms on it so it fits just about any fairings.

That was the plan, but someone bought it out from under me :(

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Last weekend was my last session with the slower groups in lvls 1-2, I cant wait to be slow in the LVL3/4 group vs fast in 1/2. Really started feeling great after the end of the session which was my 2nd time out. I'm going Sat/Sun this week for our season closer and I'm shopping for a track bike.

titanium fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 26, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
TEXAS: TWS track weekend with Lone Star Track Days! Anyone else going?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Did another day at Jennings today, this time with Gottrack.net
Compared to last time I went, I learned that it's really difficult to get good body positioning on the Ninjette's stock seating position even armed with the knowledge of how to do it. I'd be off the bike so much that I'd be afraid of losing my grip on the tank, but even then I was still scraping pegs and toes. Some comparison shots from last time:

So, overall, not much change in overall cornering speed, but I felt much more planted and confident through turns that I was oh-making GBS threads over last time. Of course, that's all relative because the bike is still pogo sticking like a fiend every time it tips over. I'm hoping to take the SV next time I'm out there (next week?)

As for GotTrack.net... holy poo poo, their organization sucks. The novice class had 23 people who were all in one group. We had 4 classroom sessions where their control riders would talk over each other and generally waste time, and then 3 of our 7 sessions were lead-follows that turned into a clusterfuck of floating newbies and a bunch of Rossis and Stoners trying to be hot poo poo and passing everywhere, nearly stuffing a few people.
Aside from the organizers, the people that showed up (mostly from 1000rr.us, it was their annual meetup) were awesome to hang around and I had a great day overall.

edit: The one piece is new and tight and it made it extremely hard to bend over and tuck into the bike, if that criticism comes to mind :v:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 28, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Honestly you look fine...probably more important to focus on line choice. Or get that sv up and running. I have some cheap rearsets that could help you out ;)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
And lines were one of the things I felt confident about this time; I nailed most of the turns that tripped me up last time.
Saying this will probably change my luck with them, but the rearsets that came on it should still be operational. Hopefully they're uncharacteristic of the rest of the bike and stay that way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have you removed the curb feelers from your pegs? It looks like they're still on there...

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
They were for half of the first time was there since I completely forgot about them. Didn't have them yesterday though.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I've decided that i want to attend the california superbike school next year, preferably for a 2 (or 3) day camp on the west coast since it's a long flight from Singapore to the US. Now i'm just saving up my pennies and waiting for next year's schedule to come out.

Has anyone done the camps before?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

raffie posted:

I've decided that i want to attend the california superbike school next year, preferably for a 2 (or 3) day camp on the west coast since it's a long flight from Singapore to the US. Now i'm just saving up my pennies and waiting for next year's schedule to come out.

Has anyone done the camps before?

I did it back in May, it was amazing. I can't recommend it enough. I haven't done any track days apart from that, but I definitely can say that my riding improved by leaps and bounds. I just feel safer on the street now knowing that there is a lot more in reserve when I am riding twisty roads.

It's really well worth the money and I can't wait to have some time to do it again.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I have not attended CSS, but here's a review from when Keith came to town this year:
http://pnwriders.com/track-time/173266-california-superbike-school-ridge-review-pics.html

I've overhead it's a great school, but sort of expensive if you're already invested in a track bike/gear. If you don't have a track setup it's a great deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd probably do the Kevin Schwantz school instead...from what I hear, the Keith Code stuff takes their time laying the groundwork and working your way up from the very, very basics. If you have the chance to do them all, it wouldn't be so bad, but just doing a 2-3 day school, I'd probably prefer the Schwantz school.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Plus Schwantz is a loving legend and Keith is a Scientologist :toxx:

But screw all that noise, I'd go to the Texas Tornado Man Camp

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Texas Tornado Boot Camp is awesome. i might be going again later this year, but for the 2 day weekend camp.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I think working up from the basics would be best for me at this point. I seem to have hit some kind of wall with my riding and my confidence hasn't improved even after a bunch of trackdays at Sepang. I know the bike is capable of more and i used to ride alot harder than this 5 years ago when i was last doing regular trackdays.

I'm riding well within the limits but there's always this voice in the back of my head telling me not to crash the bike. Maybe that's the downside to getting a fancy bike, it'll be a pain in the rear end to crash it both in terms of cost and parts availability. Now i'm just that regular face with the nice MV who's always riding around in the slow group.

So i figure i should go back to basics and work my way up from there. After the course i'll see how it goes with the MV. If it's still the bike holding me back i'll probably shop around for a cheap trackbike and keep the MV for road use or something. Then maybe i can think about doing the Schwantz school.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you want to get fast get a slow bike, that's already ugly, and setup the suspension properly. Then get in as much track time as you can. Any bike you don't want to scratch is going to hold you back.

Cheap running yesteryear track prepped bikes can be had for less than 2k all the time. Grab one and ride the piss out of it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

I'd probably do the Kevin Schwantz school instead...from what I hear, the Keith Code stuff takes their time laying the groundwork and working your way up from the very, very basics. If you have the chance to do them all, it wouldn't be so bad, but just doing a 2-3 day school, I'd probably prefer the Schwantz school.

This is the Scientology hokum part of the CSS program. That they literally have a "program" by which you pay increasingly vast amounts of money to access their "real riding technology". If you get to the top-level school you probably get to meet xenu or have your thetans audited or a scientology gift card or some poo poo. Best case Keith learned from the masters and it's a bit of a scam. Worst case your money is actually going to the Church of Scientology.

I say this as someone who thought that ToTW 1 and 2 contained a lot of really helpful ways to approach circuit riding.

Raffie, I suspect it's the bike. The faster and more expensive they get, the harder to exploit, the more concerned about dropping them you are. I think also you just don't have to ride them as hard to keep up, so they feel less frantic. You also had a ZX-10R, which I gather feels friskier than anything with similar horsepower?

It may also be age and experience - I certainly pushed harder 10 or 15 years ago than I do today.

You could always kick it old skool with a rusty air-cooled RD125, open face helmet, B&H gold (please don't light it, that poo poo is poisonous) and faded death metal t-shirt / baju melayu if it's a Friday. As I recall, this setup used to produce awesome and improbable corner speed.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Saga, now it's all about the underbone bikes/scoots/cubs, windbreakers worn backwards and fake Oakley frogskins. I hardly see the old bikes like RDs out on the roads anymore.

Yes i know the bike is playing a part in holding me back. The MV is really stable and planted and with TC i know there's a safety net there, but i just can't bring myself to step over the line that i've drawn. Maybe i don't think i can handle myself over that line, because it seems to be a subconscious thing. I know it's there and i can ride right up to the line and be perfectly relaxed on the bike flapping my arms in mid-corner and what not, but i just can't cross it.

The '04 10R was frisky, even with a traxxion kit at the front end and ohlins damper+rear shock. I used to have to literally climb over the front end to keep it down but that bike was hella fun and i used to be able to keep up with some of slower A group guys with it. I had great confidence with the front end of that bike. The '08 10R was alot more stable but i never gelled with that bike.

Unfortunately trackbikes aren't so common out here and i have some logistics issues as well but i will be asking around and looking into it. I think the course will be a good refresher and confidence builder which can then be transferred to whatever i get in the future.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

raffie posted:

Unfortunately trackbikes aren't so common out here and i have some logistics issues as well but i will be asking around and looking into it. I think the course will be a good refresher and confidence builder which can then be transferred to whatever i get in the future.

Don't even need to buy a track bike really. Pick up a cheap/ugly SV650 or something, throw some good tires on it and do some suspension work if you want.

I bought a basket case SV650 in boxes for $200, then put on a GSXR front end and a ZX10? rear shock. After selling off extra stuff and buying a bunch of misc poo poo I have 600-700 in the bike. If I destroy it at the track I'll only be mad if I don't get it on video. Of course now that I have it built I don't have any time to track it.

Of course I'm also an idiot and went out and bought a 125GP bike so now I have two track only bikes. Neither ready and a track day Saturday.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 30, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

raffie posted:

Are older 600s available?

Honestly, I'd say hitting a wall probably has more to do with the fact you're riding bikes you're not willing to crash. Any of the 600s made in the last 6 years or so would be great trackbikes.

I've got a full suspension setup for an SV sitting here right now...shipping would be expensive but if you can find a cheap one, potentially one of the easiest ways to get a cheap bike with decent suspension.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Are older 600s available?

Graduated licensing means not really Z3N. AFAIK a 600 has always been in the top licence tier plus until relatively recently your average Malaysian didn't have 600 money to blow.

Raffie, this is what I'm saying, you can't learni the true meaning of biking from scooter racers or people who aspire to a Proton Satria.

You need to go on a spirit quest to find your inner Mat. Scour every kampung until you find that RD and its grizzled owner. Humble yourself before him! For only when you learn his secrets will you once again be master of the track!

It's going to be a bit like Countryman, or Disney's Cars.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Yeah the "bigger bikes" aren't as common out here and tend to hold their values better.

SVs are rare as hen's teeth, i've only actually seen 2 in person and that was years ago. I think they're probably scrapped by now.

I'll look for a bike in Singapore where everyone wants the latest and greatest, there's loads of used sportbikes around and i'll stick to a 600 or 750 at most. I'm actually a singapore citizen and only moved up here to kuala lumpur a few months back because we opened an office up here. I'm not even an official resident, my apartment is rented by the company and i'm on a tourist visa and paid by the singapore office. I just have to make sure i run out of the country to get my passport stamped every 30 days, although i drive back to singapore for most weekends anyway. Both my car and the MV are singapore-registered but parked up at the apartment here.

Come to think of it, i've never ridden a 600 before and only rode my friend's gsxr750 once for a short distance. I jumped straight from an Aprilia RS250 to a TLS back in the day. I think a 600/750 would be pretty fun to get my mojo back on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cool, looking forward to seeing what you pick up :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

raffie posted:

I'm actually a singapore citizen and only moved up here to kuala lumpur a few months back because we opened an office up here. I'm not even an official resident, my apartment is rented by the company and i'm on a tourist visa and paid by the singapore office. I just have to make sure i run out of the country to get my passport stamped every 30 days, although i drive back to singapore for most weekends anyway. Both my car and the MV are singapore-registered but parked up at the apartment here.

That sounds like a great gig. Singapore seems to be pretty much turning into Hong Kong, although admittedly with slightly more charm - I looked at property prices recently and they were just retarded. By which I mean, even more retarded than they were 10 or 20 years ago. And in peninsular Malaysia you have somewhere to go on the bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone done an open session trackday with SoCalTrackDays? They've got two days at Chuckwalla clockwise on Dec 15/16 but I've only ridden at one track before and I'm slow intermediate - kinda not sure about doing an open session thing.

If I went with a sessioned day I'd probably ride beginner for a few sessions to get a feel of the track and get back into riding since I haven't been to the track in just over two years.

edit: Actually, since I'm even worried about it I think that's enough to tell me to not do it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 17, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Open trackdays are awesome but you'd probably get more out of a normal trackday setup as it is now. Open ones are awesome for fine tuning setup and stuff but the structure of the normal days generally means you get more quality time that way.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I've only done open days in the rain (nobody shows up) and I found myself sticking to a schedule close to the standard setup. But like Z3n said, it's nice when you're messing with stuff to not miss the window.

In other news, I picked up a new track bike!

07 Triumph 675 (not shown - spare bodywork).

The PO veered off the track (thinks he was clipped) and hit a dirt berm at ~70. The front came up, smashing his helmet into the tank and knocking him out. The bike didn't suffer too bad: broken rear set, tail, fairing stay, upper fairing, sliders. The deal came with spare everything but sliders. He decided to quit riding all together and sold me the bike for a mega-friend price :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I see you got the mootmoot cans with it. In fact, check for blood and pieces of skull - if present, it might actually be his bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...so are we up to like three 675s purchased by AI in the past couple of weeks? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
'tis the season for good prices on trackbikes, I guess

• Locked thread