Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I just started playing again. On for a bit as "Mauzer" if anyone wants an invite to the defunct Invalid Guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I played this a little while ago but got busy with other things. I got some plat and other stuff from helpy helpers and don't mind putting those into circulation if anyone wants them. Includes a set of large banded that might make a fatty somewhere happy.

I'm usually online on euro evenings. Not in game though so send me a pm or maybe stalk me on Steam to ask them and I'll log on.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

Meh, any update on how Nilbog is doing with Velious? i have a semi-itch to play an MMO.

I don't have a P99 link, as I'm inactive at the moment, but a guildie said (we still talk on gchat) that they're aiming for early 2013. Content is supposedly basically done, but it's the heavy scripting work for poo poo link Ring War now.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Kind of interested in playing around with this again. How are pugs these days for the low levels? I'm thinking of continuing my wizard along, but I feel like I remember soloing being kind of a bitch until post 20s. I'm down for traveling anywhere popular, I think he's around 8 right now.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Been playing through. Now at 45 (Necro), Getting entirely sick of the Dreadlands. Slowly losing the want to play though and 45 sucks, anything I can do to reignite the oomph to just get to at least 50?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

EllEssDee posted:

Been playing through. Now at 45 (Necro), Getting entirely sick of the Dreadlands. Slowly losing the want to play though and 45 sucks, anything I can do to reignite the oomph to just get to at least 50?

Have you tried grouping in City of Mist or Solusek B? Both of those dungeons were a lot of fun when I at your level range.

Sangori
Sep 6, 2010
My husband and I started playing about two weeks ago. We got the IP exemption within 6 days, so that wasn't too bad! I'm playing a barb shaman named Sangori. He's playing a human shadowknight named Sevis. Starting in Halas and Qeynos has been a lonely road, but we are level 10 and 11 now. Once we hit 14 and I get bind we'll make the trek to the FP side of the world. Is Highpass the happening lowbie place it used to be on live? I want to go ahead and get my Testament of Vanear done while we are there.

We both played live on the Drinal server just after Kunark came out and on through the expansion just after Planes of Power. By Planes of Power the game had lost a lot of its thrill. P99 has been tons of fun. Really drives home how dumb easy the newer iterations of MMOs are. Anyhow, say hello if you see us in game. Its a bit too quiet on our side of the world.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Thanks to Integ being a terrible person, I'm going to be putting a few hours a week into this game again, so look for me daytime and late night EST if you need ports or want an invite to IG.

Also, I am updating the player list in the second post. If you aren't in IG and want to be known as an active goon, let me know here or in game. If you were on the old list and I see you online I will move you to the active list.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Integ?

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 4, 2012

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

iNteg posted:

Meh, any update on how Nilbog is doing with Velious? i have a semi-itch to play an MMO.

Yeah this ^^ guy. I have to blame someone else so it might as well be him.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is the Endless Saga raid rift for the quest "Darkblades Terror" hard? I'm on that step now but the previous steps were MUCH easier than what the guide suggested. The 3 man and 5 man quests were able to be soloed so I'm thinking maybe this step is a bit easier as well.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Mustang posted:

Is the Endless Saga raid rift for the quest "Darkblades Terror" hard? I'm on that step now but the previous steps were MUCH easier than what the guide suggested. The 3 man and 5 man quests were able to be soloed so I'm thinking maybe this step is a bit easier as well.

Gonna go out on a limb and guess you posted this in the wrong thread...

72o
Dec 14, 2007

I played EQ from 99 to 04, and Velious on P1999 is the one "game" I'm most looking forward to in the next year... is that sad?

Elder Scrolls Online? gently caress you, I want to go to Velk's!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah this ^^ guy. I have to blame someone else so it might as well be him.

How's that troll SK coming along?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

The only way to get more hardcore at EQ than playing EQ, is to play a troll SK. And the only way to get more hardcore than that, is to refuse to get your corpse when you die (which I heard a bug was happening yesterday doing just that!)

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

The only way to get more hardcore at EQ than playing EQ, is to play a troll SK. And the only way to get more hardcore than that, is to refuse to get your corpse when you die (which I heard a bug was happening yesterday doing just that!)

Yeah i just heard about that one. Thankfully I didn't die during Draco last night.

P.S. You still playing Bruman? haven't seen you in Gchat.

iNteg fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 8, 2012

72o
Dec 14, 2007

xZAOx posted:

They were pretty prompt in getting summons and rezes out, though. Apparently this is something that happens when a server is up for 42 days straight.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

Yeah i just heard about that one. Thankfully I didn't die during Draco last night.

P.S. You still playing Bruman? haven't seen you in Gchat.

Nah, I'm not playing right now, and have been on hiatus for a few months. I'm unlikely to play again until Velious comes out.

However, I still talk to some BDA'ers online. Chest pretty often, San and Sadad here and there, etc. And I hop on the boards like once a month. I keep up-to-date on what all is going on.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

iNteg posted:

Almost 22, kickin it in Unrest during the day and late at night. Actually had a pretty solid group in there yesterday.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Almost 22, kickin it in Unrest during the day and late at night. Actually had a pretty solid group in there yesterday.

Not bad, did some seb last night before being forced over to poopsock Draco...

P.S. How late is late? i was up til 1:30am est last night.

iNteg fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 8, 2012

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think I hopped on around 2:30 after I got up to feed and change the little monster and couldn't get back to sleep immediately.

I'm fairly impressed by the uptime of the server in the sense that it's very stable at this point. On the other hand, it's a bit disappointing that there haven't been any content patches for a month and a half. I completely agree with 72o in that Velious on P99 is my most highly anticipated MMO-ish thing for the foreseeable future.

Vember
Jun 8, 2005
Started playing this last night again. Was wondering if anyone could help port my cleric from Unrest back to Commonlands area. Tried asking on an alt and did not get any bites. Would be greatly appreciated.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
I'm online and able to port my wizards name is Caramel.

Vember
Jun 8, 2005
Must of just missed you.

I plan on ditching the cleric anyone have suggestions on Shadow Knight weapon/shield for around 50 - 75 plat?

I have access to a 51 necro with no cash and I'm looking for ideas on things to solo to help gear up my Shadow Knight. Or just areas to solo to gain platinum quickly to help with funding.

Vember fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 9, 2012

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
You could do seafuries in OOT if you just want to farm cash for gear (also decent XP at 51). They drop a lot of gems and jewelry that sells for 50-200pp. I haven't been out there in awhile but they used to be pretty heavily camped even during low pop hours.

You could also go to Cazic Thule and farm decayed armor pieces off Lizard Crusaders to do the Darkforge armor quests in the temple of solusek ro. This is solid pre-planar SK armor. Refer to this map: http://wiki.project1999.org/Cazic_Thule They spawn in areas 1 and 2 on the main level, and also area 2 on the lower level.

Crested Spaulders, Diamondine Earrings, and a Hooded Black Cloak are easily campable with a 51 necro in Mistmoore off the Avenging Caitliff, Lasna Cheroon, and the Cloaked Dhampyre respectively. They're good pieces to wear or sell. You can grab a Crested Mistmoore Shield while you're there as well if you want one. Check here if you're not familiar with zone: http://wiki.project1999.org/Mistmoore

As far as cheap weapons/shields, I'd suggest checking out the gear listed on these pages to get familiar with what to look for. There's a lot of cheap 2handers floating around as well. I have a Nathsar Greatsword you could have for free, which is a good starter 2HS because it is fairly low damage and delay (17/30) and so doesn't get hit as hard by the low level damage caps. I should be around this weekend, look me up on Berak, Illtair, or Bugen.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I've begun to taste some of the high end drama on this server as my former guild merged with FE. Let me tell you, sitting around waiting for something to spawn and then pray that you somehow get FTE is the most boring, stupid poo poo in the world. There has to be a better way to do this to make everyone at least slightly happy.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Funkutron5000 posted:

There has to be a better way to do this to make everyone at least slightly happy.

See, you're under the false impression that the majority of people in the cutthroat raid guilds are something other than over grown man children. It's pretty pathetic.

Not all, of course, but many really don't give a gently caress about anything other than making sure they get any and every kill, and make sure noone else gets any other loot than their guild. This includes going to whatever lengths possible - lots of training, lawyering, a "let the GMs sort it out later" mindset, shady tactics, never leaving your computer, getting up at 4 am, whatever it takes. It's pretty dumb. Add to that, since it's free, it also attracts people who don't live in the "real world", and the game becomes way too much a centerpiece of their life. The personal-drama and relationships that goes on for this server is scary. They won't play it just as a game, it becomes very serious, and with no/low income, they're uninterested in other games. It's just weird. Again, not everyone, but there's a lot of that on this server.

Anywhos, it's the reason the industry went to instancing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It occasionally results in really rewarding and awesome gameplay, but yeah, more often it's just dumb poopsocking and training and login races.

Not to mention it leads to the most ridiculous posturing and epenis contests on forums.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
If you read the official P99 forums it becomes quickly apparent the type of people who lead the high end guilds and why they're so full of terrible people. It's like a flashback to how I posted on internet forums when I was 13.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
anyone have a fingerbone hoop for sale? spent 3 days in EC looking, posted on p99 forums and so far no bites. not one for sale apparently.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

hayden. posted:

If you read the official P99 forums it becomes quickly apparent the type of people who lead the high end guilds and why they're so full of terrible people. It's like a flashback to how I posted on internet forums when I was 13.

The funny thing is, I honestly think it's TMO vs the entire rest of the server population. That entire guild BREEDS discontent among the community because of the "elitist" attitude that stealin, alarti, and the rest of the RnF members put out.

I don't even think other guilds bicker with each other. It basically feels like it's TMO vs FE/BDA or whoever is racing or sitting on spawn points for raid mobs for 10+ hours at a time during spawn windows.

And as much as I know that if TMO was to disappear another guild would take its spot, I sometimes think the server might be better without some of the members of TMO being allowed to play on p99 (A lot of TMO are still cool dudes)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

iNteg posted:

The funny thing is, I honestly think it's TMO vs the entire rest of the server population. That entire guild BREEDS discontent among the community because of the "elitist" attitude that stealin, alarti, and the rest of the RnF members put out.

I don't even think other guilds bicker with each other. It basically feels like it's TMO vs FE/BDA or whoever is racing or sitting on spawn points for raid mobs for 10+ hours at a time during spawn windows.

And as much as I know that if TMO was to disappear another guild would take its spot, I sometimes think the server might be better without some of the members of TMO being allowed to play on p99 (A lot of TMO are still cool dudes)
I've been following P1999 from the beginning, and from the beginning goons have always reported that there's been at least one annoying top guild in "charge". Truly the Classic Experience.

I wonder if there were any laid-back, drama-free live servers back in the days? Fennin Ro was ripe with it, so I didn't experience it.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pilsner posted:

I've been following P1999 from the beginning, and from the beginning goons have always reported that there's been at least one annoying top guild in "charge". Truly the Classic Experience.

I wonder if there were any laid-back, drama-free live servers back in the days? Fennin Ro was ripe with it, so I didn't experience it.

I Don't think I was old enough when I played to fully understand the drama, but on Tribunal I think it was two guilds, The Elitists and The Vagrants that were the two top dogs, and then they merged to become Elitists and Vagrants, but I don't remember any raid mob drama. I also wasn't really high enough to be there for anything, so I didn't experience any of the tension of raid racing.

iNteg fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 15, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

FWIW, it's not really an entire guild's fault, as all guilds have good and bad people, but it's the vocal people in that guild and their general leadership. A lot of the same bad eggs go top guild to top guild as it's changed hands over P99's time.

I really think P99 would greatly benefit from management that actually enforced it's own rules. There's several people who play who should just be straight up banned, instead of just suspensions here and there for blatant dickery. Even things like enforcing the stated naming rules and deleting RnF altogether would help to start cleaning up the community. But whatever, I'm pretty sure Rogean enjoys having all the raid drama on his server.

As for drama-free on live, I know some servers had rotations in place. It's all player-run of course, so a guild could go in and wreck it, but social stigma was more of A Thing back on live, so a guild could also be black-listed and shunned pretty easily. Some servers were just nasty and cutthroat.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Bullshit.

The only reason these asslords (TMO and whoever else) can dictate the raid scene is because of the complacency of the members... or as you call them, the "good guys".

The "good guys" are actually more to blame for the situation than the asslords.

So when they say "yeah my GL is a real dick, but I'm not like that", you can punch them in their apologist face.

*don't actually punch them.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2012

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Pilsner posted:

Emphasis mine.

Karana had a collective of guilds known as the Karana Guild Council which essentially enforced a rotation of all major raid targets (including separate rotations for Planes and their gods) from Classic through Velious. It started to break down when Luclin was released, at least they weren't as prompt as adding targets to it - for instance Vex Thal was on an under the table raid agreement between the major US and Asia guilds.

While it cut down on the camping on spawn points, it added an artificial barrier to end game AND to a lot of people completing their epics. Some rotations (Cazic Thule and Inny pre-steroid) were over 30 guilds long. Rules of engagement were you actually had to wait for the guild scheduled for the plane that day to clear it before you could engage the god. Kunark free-roaming dragons also had a long list, and you had to defeat Sev to get on Talendor (at the end of the list) and defeat Talendor to get on Gorenaire (end of the list), and defeat Gorenaire to get on Trakanon. Also, NToV was only cleared maybe three times before Luclin came out, to give an idea of progression as it pertained to this server.

Guilds who went against the rotations were essentially blackballed from the server. It was almost impossible to get a rez or a group if you were part of a guild "going FFA."

Interestingly, Ayonae Ro's Eternal Wrath guild (3rd worldwide to kill Vulak Aerr) came from Karana.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

iNteg posted:

I Don't think I was old enough when I played to fully understand the drama, but on Tribunal I think it was two guilds, The Elitists and The Vagrants that were the two top dogs, and then they merged to become Elitists and Vagrants, but I don't remember any raid mob drama. I also wasn't really high enough to be there for anything, so I didn't experience any of the tension of raid racing.

Hey fellow Tribunal classic player! Sorry if there is a list for this elsewhere, but who were you in classic? I played a barbarian rogue named Xetrin.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I eat baby skin posted:

Hey fellow Tribunal classic player! Sorry if there is a list for this elsewhere, but who were you in classic? I played a barbarian rogue named Xetrin.

Me too. I got into the game late - a few months before Luclin came out. I remember messing around outside Crushbone when E&V released the Sleeper and had no idea what the hell was going on as people were shouting info out.

A friend told me druids were the best all-around class, which I played until I realized they were useless at high level and started a bard and fell in love.

I've been getting the itch since learning about p99 especially since I've always felt like I just missed the golden age of Kunark-Velious (Although I can't believe people stared at their spellbooks for years. I only did it for the couple months before Luclin and almost went mad).

Looking at the p99 site got me thinking: what were server populations like back in those days? Is there anywhere you can see that type of thing? I seem to recall Veeshan was the most populated.

RE Tribunal: IIRC NToV was rotated between E&V and the Euro guild Companions (I can't believe I'm remembering these names). Was there a third top tier guild back then? I know Sol Invictus got big towards the end of Luclin but don't think they were at the forefront during Velious.

Aside from masochistically loving the death system in Everquest, I recently read something that really hit the nail on the head about why I thought EQ was so great: not being reliant on quests. In recent quest-centric MMOs everyone pretty much comes up the same path but in EQ you really had the world open to you. Yeah, there were certain camps everyone did but it didn't feel as "on rails" as questing. And really being forced to group because soloing was so difficult helped make the game much more social.

Also trains. Don't forget trains.

God drat I loved that game...

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Pilsner posted:

You can count classic Innoruuk server off that list. I believe the top guilds had some kind of calendar where they would try to rotate raid times during Kunark - Velious but then we had Dead of Winter, Silent Resurgence etc who didn't give any fucks at all. They literally gave negative fucks, if that is possible. It was really hilarious to watch at times.

A cleric on our server got to BBC News after sitting on his rear end for a week camping some magic dragon for his epic and then SR swooped in for the kill.

Those were the days :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

I eat baby skin posted:

I played a Warrior named Lagunae IIRC. I also played my friends Rogue Wulong.

• Locked thread