Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I imagine him still using Dial Up and getting really angry when someone calls him

He has a pile of those '30 free hours!' discs and is set on using every single one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I'm imagining he thinks its his work email.

'peterkingatsidotcom@aol.com'

"Pete... No. You don't have an AOL address. Sports Illustrated has its own website. It's called a domai... listen, never mind."

'There's no AOL Keyword for it!'

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Reminder that Peter King makes more money than any of us will likely see in our lives

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Grozz Nuy posted:

Reminder that Peter King makes more money than any of us will likely see in our lives

I wish being a talentless, worthless hack would get me paid. I still haven't figured out a way to pull it off. In a way, I'm actually very jealous.

Imagine if you could fart out stupid poo poo on the internet all day and get paid for it. It would be like getting paid for our horrible posting. Just try to say you'd turn that down with a straight face.

You wouldn't. None of us would. poo poo, we do it for free already.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

NC-17 posted:

So I'm imagining that his browser homepage is probably AOL.com.

Which rules.

Nah, if he's still using AOL at this point he's using the application. Both my parents still use it, it's a weird brand-loyalty thing.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Fenrir posted:

I wish being a talentless, worthless hack would get me paid. I still haven't figured out a way to pull it off. In a way, I'm actually very jealous.

Imagine if you could fart out stupid poo poo on the internet all day and get paid for it. It would be like getting paid for our horrible posting. Just try to say you'd turn that down with a straight face.

Something we have to remember is Peter King currently sucks, but he earned his way to the top rightfully. He was an excellent reporter for years, gaining contacts and credibility. But once he reached the top, he stopped trying and is now a lazy bum in a cushy job with no one challenging him. Occasionally you still see glimpses of what he used to be, but mostly he just doesn't try anymore because he doesn't have to.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Febreeze posted:

Something we have to remember is Peter King currently sucks, but he earned his way to the top rightfully. He was an excellent reporter for years, gaining contacts and credibility. But once he reached the top, he stopped trying and is now a lazy bum in a cushy job with no one challenging him. Occasionally you still see glimpses of what he used to be, but mostly he just doesn't try anymore because he doesn't have to.

No, no, you're thinking of Rick Reilly. Pete has always been a fluffer to the stars (most notably the Steve Young-Gatorade thing and the years of Favre slobbering)

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Favre slobbering has been replaced with Brady slobbering. I remember he once wrote like 1/5 of his MMQB column on Brady and how he was sponsored by Under Armour and that (somehow) Brady was doing it as some sort of outreach to children.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

Fenrir posted:

Sure it has an appeal, but I have a funny fixation on turning in at least a certain level of quality for my paid ventures.

What I'm actually jealous about isn't that he gets paid to vomit out cliches, it's the perks of the job- the travel and the access.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Speak for yourself you jizz slurping poo poo magnet. I'm making bank and having teh sex0rz with hb10s thanks to being a bad rear end punter. Now make like an ent and leaf, you whore smuggling dog prober.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Fenrir posted:

I honestly feel like being a respected Sports journalist is like some sort of demonic lottery. There is literally no distinguishable differences between a guy on the last page of Bumfuck Times and a guy with his own show on ESPN. As best I can figure you succeed by pure chance simply because there is no concept of merit.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I honestly feel like being a respected Sports journalist is like some sort of demonic lottery. There is literally no distinguishable differences between a guy on the last page of Bumfuck Times and a guy with his own show on ESPN. As best I can figure you succeed by pure chance simply because there is no concept of merit.

Mmm, more likely the 'merit' involved is in the networking. Who you know, who you're related to, who you went to school with, etc.

forums poster
Jan 25, 2012

by angerbeet

Chichevache posted:

Speak for yourself you jizz slurping poo poo magnet. I'm making bank and having teh sex0rz with hb10s thanks to being a bad rear end punter. Now make like an ent and leaf, you whore smuggling dog prober.

What does any of this mean?

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

forums poster posted:

What does any of this mean?

It's a Chris Kluwe gimmick post. Unless of course he actually IS Chris Kluwe. We'll know for sure if Kluwe bobbles a snap or gets a punt blocked in the Vikings' next game vs the Seahawks :tinfoil:

Rogue Elephant fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 24, 2012

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chichevache posted:

You're trying way too hard.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Peter King posted:

So my brother Ken retired from his job in England in September, and we decided to give him a fun, frequent-flier-aided retirement gift: a trip to see a World Series game. So he came over and, as it turned out, the only game that would work for me was Game 1 in San Francisco, which we didn't know would be in San Francisco until last Monday night. Thanks to my friend Corey Bowdre with the Red Sox, we were able to buy seats at face value and we set off for California. I spent much of last Tuesday in Atlanta with Tony Gonzalez for some SI reporting, then flew to San Francisco Tuesday evening.

I was deep in coach, in a middle seat. (The only way to fly! A middle seat for five hours and 15 minutes!) The 50ish woman seated to my left got increasingly frustrated with her iPad, sighing heavily, until finally she said, "drat daughter!" and took the iPad and hit herself on the scalp with it. I clanked over, wondering if I was to feel the wrath of the iPad-abuser next, and she said, "My daughter must have erased this app I need! I can't figure the drat thing out!'' I told her I was sorry, and asked her what she did for a living.

"I'm in sales,'' she said. "On the way to San Francisco for a sales conference."

"Oh,'' I said. "What do you sell?''

"Well, various things,'' she said.

Well, all right then. We flew the rest of the way in crammed, painful quietude.

There's no point to the story. There's no punchline, no follow-up, no anything. Nothing omitted. That's all there is.

The life of Peter King.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
'I clanked over'

what the gently caress does that even mean

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Sitting next to Peter King in coach is a nightmare

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Brannock posted:

There's no point to the story. There's no punchline, no follow-up, no anything. Nothing omitted. That's all there is.

The life of Peter King.

Peter King's life is basically a Raymond Carver story, except everyone's addicted to coffee instead of booze

midwat
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

The life of Peter King.

For a man who spends his time interviewing millionaires and attending huge events, Peter King sure fixates on the most mundane poo poo.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Peter King is just a man of the people. The people despise him, and wish to be rid of him, but he is of them nonetheless

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So he's the Tom Friedman of sports?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Pretty much yeah

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Brannock posted:

The life of Peter King.

How long before Peter King's column is just his grocery list followed by a bunch of things he thought he was typing into the search bar?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

defiantgiant posted:

How long before Peter King's column is just his grocery list followed by a bunch of things he thought he was typing into the search bar?

I mean, he already has Factoid of the Week That May Only Interest Me, so

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

defiantgiant posted:

I bet you $10,000 Peter King is one of those people who goes to Google and types in https://www.facebook.com rather than just using the address bar.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

haljordan posted:

I bet you $10,000 Peter King is one of those people who goes to Google and types in https://www.facebook.com rather than just using the address bar.

I think he probably still goes to AOL to search.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

I think he probably still goes to AOL to search.

AOL.com search "Google" enter "http://www.facebook.com"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

AKMoose posted:

AOL.com search "Google" enter "http://www.facebook.com"

AOL Keyword: Lofty

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
This is the greatest video I have ever seen
http://deadspin.com/5960039/rick-re...sage-production

Look at Steve Young! He stares at him for 10 straight seconds and then hits him during the report. Steve Young is all of the sudden my favorite!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ribsauce posted:

This is the greatest video I have ever seen
http://deadspin.com/5960039/rick-re...sage-production

Look at Steve Young! He stares at him for 10 straight seconds and then hits him during the report. Steve Young is all of the sudden my favorite!

This is like yankeesfans.gif. Every time you watch it, you discover something new. I didn't even notice Young hitting Reilly the first few times watching it.

Dilfer looks like he wants to crawl under the desk.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Rap posted:

Sitting next to Peter King in coach is a nightmare

Sounds pretty wicked wild to me

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Steve Young is not necessarily the best analyst, but holy gently caress will he call you out on your bullshit.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I think he was forced to delete that Tweet. Hah.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
haha

Jason Whitlock
‏@WhitlockJason
Make sure I get credit for having this first: Rick Reilly hoodwinked ESPN out of $10 million and ESPN is dumb/stubborn enough to do it again

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You wouldn't think Jason Whitlock could make that sort of a burn with a straight face considering some of the garbage he's produced, yet there it is.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It saddens me if Rick Reilly has really made $10 million dollars in his life, and probably much more than that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You wouldn't think Jason Whitlock could make that sort of a burn with a straight face considering some of the garbage he's produced, yet there it is.

Jason Whitlock is good at three things: Eating ribs, stumping for Jeff George, and laying down burns on his fellow "reporters"

That's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

Jason Whitlock is good at three things: Eating ribs, stumping for Jeff George, and laying down burns on his fellow "reporters"

That's about it

He's surprisingly entertaining on the radio too. Of course he manages to burn enough bridges not to have his own show anymore but I could listen to his barber talk about Tebow for hours.

• Locked thread