Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
hahah holy poo poo it looks like all those stupid old jokes about windows 95 powered cars crashing are coming true a decade later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A well done touchscreen is a good complement to proper knobs for temperature, fan, volume, and tuner.

In my opinion, Honda's recent fascination with buttons for everything is only slightly less frustrating than a bad touchscreen interface.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Touch screens in cars is A Bad Idea.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Am I the only one that thinks that throwing a touch screen in a car is incredibly dangerous in the hands on your average driver? I'm honestly scared of the idea. I hope it's a dumb gimmick and goes away soon.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that throwing a touch screen in a car is incredibly dangerous in the hands on your average driver? I'm honestly scared of the idea. I hope it's a dumb gimmick and goes away soon.

No, you're not the only one who thinks this. We're talking about average people who are very quickly growing incapable of managing their vehicle's headlight system for those times when they turn it off the automatic setting and then forget to put it back on so they drive around at night without their lights on. They don't seem to notice because new cars all seem to have dash lights that automatically come on when it senses that it's too dark, so the outside lights must be on and just dirty, right?

So yeah. Touch screens for the average public can go right to hell.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler's system is exactly like that.

http://www.dart-mouth.com/gizmos.html

What is a "performance font?" Is this typography jargon or marketing jargon?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Previa_fun posted:

Any typeface that's easy to read. You have to have consideration for the display medium (LCD), too.

Readability is a big deal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearview_(typeface)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
SRT Performance Font is the typeface you'll need to make your brochures literally fly off the shelves, then snap off a 13 second quarter mile before going back in time and punching your mom in the womb.

Why, just look at these features.
  • Lowered baseline for aggressive ground effects and bad-rear end street presence
  • Closer kerning for aerodynamics
  • Redesigned ligatures reduce pumping losses up to 5% over competing serif typefaces
  • Awarded JD Power and Associates' best font under $35k category, three years in a row
Any unexplained fires resulting from the use of SRT Performance Font will be disclaimed by our Italian overlords. Do not directly ingest SRT Performance Font. Do not have intercourse with SRT Performance Font without the use of Mopar brand prophylactics, now with reduced panel gap.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

Looks like marketing jargon in this case, that typeface makes very few affordances to readability. The speedometer typeface on 2012 Mustangs is just as bad.

Clearview is actually quite nice, but doesn't fit the Dodge Dart image.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Thanks. It still seems like strange wording though.

Yo dogg I got dat comic sans stage three performance edition. And that's just for emails. Don't wanna gently caress with my shitposting font. :c00l:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Looks like marketing jargon in this case, that typeface makes very few affordances to readability. The speedometer typeface on 2012 Mustangs is just as bad.

Clearview is actually quite nice, but doesn't fit the Dodge Dart image.

Ugh, that font is terribly unreadable, just like most "cool" dash fonts. Oh well, at least they're not blue, or else pointlessly italicized speed numbers.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 30, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think it's alright. The dart seems like a pretty awesome car especially given that and rwd in a Fwd dominated segment.

VVV really?! poo poo I thought it was rear. drat

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 30, 2012

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Xguard86 posted:

I think it's alright. The dart seems like a pretty awesome car especially given that and rwd in a Fwd dominated segment.

The Dart is fwd.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Xguard86 posted:

Err, I agree the dash isn't awful or anything, but the new Dart is still front wheel drive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drat, the brochure printed in Dart Performance Font fools another kid via R vs F.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

IMO Honda had the best dash font (that one they used on everything) but I don't know what their gauge clusters look like now. I think a lot of blue and green and trees and stuff.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Here's an interesting article about iDrive. Having used it for a while now I agree that it is so much better than touch screens. The BMW/MINI implementation of voice control isn't too bad either.

http://www.richardaucock.com/bmw-tells-me-why-its-instruments-are-lit-in-orange-an-idrive-insight/

quote:

‘But, if you’re trained in iDrive, you don’t use the buttons. You do the whole interaction WITHOUT looking at the controller.’

That’s fine, we wagered, but isn’t it even easier to have touchscreen? No, said a horrified engineer. See, touchscreen is absolute: ‘you need to guide your finger all the time, by looking at the screen.’ Imagine, they said, driving along and trying to input a nav destination.

‘iDrive is relative, though – you can turn, wait, give your attention to the road, but still know where you were when your eyes flick back.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

drat, the brochure printed in Dart Performance Font fools another kid via R vs F.

I feel so betrayed. I guess its a little above the Dart's the price point but the focus st and some version of a mini S seems like a better choice.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Naky posted:

No, you're not the only one who thinks this. We're talking about average people who are very quickly growing incapable of managing their vehicle's headlight system for those times when they turn it off the automatic setting and then forget to put it back on so they drive around at night without their lights on. They don't seem to notice because new cars all seem to have dash lights that automatically come on when it senses that it's too dark, so the outside lights must be on and just dirty, right?

So yeah. Touch screens for the average public can go right to hell.

Yeah I've been hit by two cars now because no headlights, because of automatic headlights. Once as a pedestrian and once totaling my car. It's a really lovely situation because it's impossible to prove even with a witness. I had to eat over 1k in tickets in addition to my car.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

With regards to Ford reliability, I'm sure the Powershift is killing them. The longest threads on Focus Fanatics in the 2012 Forum are pretty much all transmission related, with the next being MyFord Touch. A lot of people are needing their clutches replaced because they're getting contaminated with oil from within the gearbox. Even more people are just getting the runaround from dealers claiming "That's just how these dang ol dual clutchin' transmissions work"! Nevermind the fact that you could probably test drive another car on the lot with no problems whatsoever.

My '12 SEL doesn't have the touch system (thank god, the buttons work great), but it also doesn't have the nice Sony stereo (gently caress you, Ford).

After about a month+, I'd say the dual clutch is acceptable about 70% the time, perfect 20%, and 10% "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING TRANSMISSION I NEED TO MOVE NOW BEFORE I GET BROADSIDED". I don't think I'd ever get another Ford with this transmission again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's a really lovely situation because it's impossible to prove even with a witness.

I wonder if it's something that will get snapshotted during a crash into the car's blackbox down the road.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SouthLAnd posted:

With regards to Ford reliability, I'm sure the Powershift is killing them. The longest threads on Focus Fanatics in the 2012 Forum are pretty much all transmission related, with the next being MyFord Touch. A lot of people are needing their clutches replaced because they're getting contaminated with oil from within the gearbox. Even more people are just getting the runaround from dealers claiming "That's just how these dang ol dual clutchin' transmissions work"! Nevermind the fact that you could probably test drive another car on the lot with no problems whatsoever.
When I was at the most recent auto show (back in Mayish IIRC) there were a lot of people stopping by the Ford booth to mention to the sales reps how pissed they were that their DCT cars were in the shop again. I spent a lot of time in the Ford booth going between 2-3 possible "next cars" with a friend so there was no real shortage of anecdotal evidence.

It stinks - I'd love to see automatic cars at least offering a shiftable DCT in lieu of rubberband CVT but the one in the Focus/Fiesta is perhaps not as well built as it could have been. It looks like from TrueDelta, etc that they're starting to iron it out.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder if it's something that will get snapshotted during a crash into the car's blackbox down the road.

Or do the Canadian route and mandate daylight running lights into all vehicles. Coming from Canada, I always run my us vehicles with headlights on all the time even in broadday light in the middle of the desert. :tinfoil:

I think commercial drivers are supposed to run headlights on during daylight.

But yeah fat chance having evidence, I guess its high time I put a witness cam on my vehicles.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DRLs are different than headlights, though. I constantly see cars driving around with only their DRLs on, which are much dimmer than headlights and don't light up the tail lamps. And of course it's always gray/silver cars that blend in with the nighttime urban environment.

Still better than no lights at all, but it's still dangerous and obnoxious.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

At least for VW's DRL system, the interior gauges dim to almost blacked out if you are cruising at night with just your DRL. I suppose you could disable this in VAGCOM but for the average driver it hopefully it has the desired affect of "Why can't I see my radio??? oh poo poo my lights are off"

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Guinness posted:

DRLs are different than headlights, though. I constantly see cars driving around with only their DRLs on, which are much dimmer than headlights and don't light up the tail lamps. And of course it's always gray/silver cars that blend in with the nighttime urban environment.

Here's what I've never understood about DRLs: Why not just have the taillights come on as well even during the day? I've seen more than my fair share of people driving at night with only DRLs on, and I've come close to hitting one or two because I was behind them and didn't see them until the last second.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

hedge posted:

Here's an interesting article about iDrive. Having used it for a while now I agree that it is so much better than touch screens. The BMW/MINI implementation of voice control isn't too bad either.

http://www.richardaucock.com/bmw-tells-me-why-its-instruments-are-lit-in-orange-an-idrive-insight/

Audi's MMI system is also really nice, takes a few days to get used to control placement, but the big center dial is a really good input system.

SouthLAnd posted:

After about a month+, I'd say the dual clutch is acceptable about 70% the time, perfect 20%, and 10% "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING TRANSMISSION I NEED TO MOVE NOW BEFORE I GET BROADSIDED". I don't think I'd ever get another Ford with this transmission again.

After driving one all week like I said before, there was moments of it being really nice, and moments of annoyance/terror as it decided it didn't want to engage right away, seemed like a huge delay in actual power delivery even in sport mode, and the manual shift buttons were super sluggish as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Goober Peas posted:

A well done touchscreen is a good complement to proper knobs for temperature, fan, volume, and tuner.

In my opinion, Honda's recent fascination with buttons for everything is only slightly less frustrating than a bad touchscreen interface.

I know it looks fairly intimidating, but I think the system in the Accord works far better than a touch screen ever would

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Guinness posted:

Maybe they're just more distinct, but I see this with Toyota trucks a ton - and those drivers seem especially stupid since they seem to be confusing their glowing ambers with their headlights.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Bovril Delight posted:

At least for VW's DRL system, the interior gauges dim to almost blacked out if you are cruising at night with just your DRL. I suppose you could disable this in VAGCOM but for the average driver it hopefully it has the desired affect of "Why can't I see my radio??? oh poo poo my lights are off"

I like that, and i also like how Subaru's dash lights aren't on at all when the headlights aren't on. The DRL's definitely aren't bright enough to drive by a night anyway. Also, I'm not sure what the ongoing fascination of disabling the DRL's is all about. I generally have my kid in the car with me, I prefer to be seen.

Edit: I was just thinking about this when thinking about my old Ford pickup...why did manufacturers go away from putting the high beam switch on the floor by your left foot? I still prefer that, even after all these years. My wife's new 4Runner has so many bells and whistles on the steering wheel stalks its jus irritating.

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 31, 2012

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

War Bunny posted:

I like that, and i also like how Subaru's dash lights aren't on at all when the headlights aren't on. The DRL's definitely aren't bright enough to drive by a night anyway. Also, I'm not sure what the ongoing fascination of disabling the DRL's is all about. I generally have my kid in the car with me, I prefer to be seen.

Edit: I was just thinking about this when thinking about my old Ford pickup...why did manufacturers go away from putting the high beam switch on the floor by your left foot? I still prefer that, even after all these years. My wife's new 4Runner has so many bells and whistles on the steering wheel stalks its jus irritating.

I can't imagine a good place to put that which would result in a good resting position for my left foot and the ability to use the clutch. Why did that exist in the first place is a better question.

EDIT: And regarding headlight confusion, the first time I drove my car at night, the loving automatic lights confused the gently caress out of me, since they were on, but I had never turned them on, and it wasn't immediately obvious what lightbulb-A meant. So I actually pulled over and read the manual to figure it out.

Any place with long tunnels (I'm thinking specifically about the ones between Golden and Revelstoke on the Trans-Canada, but any tunnels will do) will also have the morons that cannot read (or choose to ignore) the "use lights through tunnel" sign. Guess what? The automatic sensor isn't going to react quickly enough. Twist the fuckin' dial one spot over so I don't run into your stupid slow-driving rear end.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 31, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Thanks. It still seems like strange wording though.

Yo dogg I got dat comic sans stage three performance edition. And that's just for emails. Don't wanna gently caress with my shitposting font. :c00l:

I prefer my fonts sans serif for extra aerodynamic efficiency.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

PT6A posted:

I can't imagine a good place to put that which would result in a good resting position for my left foot and the ability to use the clutch. Why did that exist in the first place is a better question.

EDIT: And regarding headlight confusion, the first time I drove my car at night, the loving automatic lights confused the gently caress out of me, since they were on, but I had never turned them on, and it wasn't immediately obvious what lightbulb-A meant. So I actually pulled over and read the manual to figure it out.

Any place with long tunnels (I'm thinking specifically about the ones between Golden and Revelstoke on the Trans-Canada, but any tunnels will do) will also have the morons that cannot read (or choose to ignore) the "use lights through tunnel" sign. Guess what? The automatic sensor isn't going to react quickly enough. Twist the fuckin' dial one spot over so I don't run into your stupid slow-driving rear end.

my auto lights come on pretty fast, usually 5 seconds after I'm in a tunnel. My friend was a valet and did an unofficial check for who uses auto-lights. He said it was less than half of the people who had them equipped. Not scientific but he had a >100 car sample size over a year or so. It's very possible those people with their lights off because they're bad drivers or have their autolights off.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Cars with always lit dashboards and auto lights need to have them enabled at every startup, just like traction control. Like TC, there could be a button to temporarily disable them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PT6A posted:

This is a real problem in DC in the 3rd St tunnel.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

One of my favorite small features of my E46 is the auto headlights (which also work in tandem with the rain-sensing wipers; wipers on = lights on). Why anyone would keep those features turned off in a car that has them is mind boggling. I just never even have to think about whether my lights are on, and never have to remember to turn them off when parking, either. Soooooo many people drive around with their lights off or just their DRLs when its dark and/or rainy out, and just leaving that poo poo on auto would prevent that!

There are a few exceptional situations where I may need to manually turn on the lights (like, say, when it's snowy out and thus very bright so that light sensor never gets triggered), but 99.9% of the time it works as intended.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

PT6A posted:

The dimmer switch is the size of a quarter and (at least in every car I've ever owned) far enough up and away from the clutch so as to not be in the way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always wondered why anytime I take my car in for service at the dealership, they turn off the automatic lights.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've always wondered why anytime I take my car in for service at the dealership, they turn off the automatic lights.

probably dark enough in the shop to set off the sensor and annoying to anyone working across from the bay or otherwise near the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I keep my autolights off because I don't think that they respond quickly enough (they wait til it gets too dark), and it's a bad habit to be dependent on them when you drive a lot of rental cars.