Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Legacy is loving terrible, snap out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yeah, I'm for making a general "Let's Read" thread in theory. But the good stuff should be used sparingly, as a contrast to the stinkers (which is where the best comedy is at, imho). I don't want the thread to start out with collected works of Zahn and Stover. And try to go for stuff that was "good but weird" like the newspaper comics.

Some examples in the "good but still mockable" would be Stackpole. The X-Wing books were good (or so everyone says-still need to read them myself :sweatdrop:), but Corran Horn does sound like a Mary Sue. Another would be "Tales of the Jedi," featuring a Jedi Crawfish.

EDIT:vvv Not sure if you are volunteering. But they're free if you want to take a crack at it :) vvv

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 30, 2012

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'd love a continuation of the NJO. There's so many lovely books in the series that it could provide endless amusement.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Tales series might not be a bad idea to focus. There is some good stuff but it suffers from some really crazy stuff and the whole everything-knows-everyone-in-the-movies trope of Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about the original Essential Guide To Characters? It's pretty weird in retrospect always, seeing how prominent al these forgotten characters like Tigris, Bodo Baas, Moruth Doole and Bollux used to be in the 1990s. Obviously, it wouldn't be a full-on Let's Read, but it might be an interesting retrospective.

Regrettably, I can't volunteer myself since I don't have any of my Star Wars books any more (sold them, and my comics too; I'm hoping to buy the Omnibus comics at some point in the future) but if I can help, I will.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I also can't volunteer anymore, because doing the Jedi Prince series drat near broke my will to live. But you guys have fun, and I'll read the thread if you get one going.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

api call girl posted:

Legacy is loving terrible, snap out of it.

Do you want to back up your assertion with some actual reasoning or examples? Or are you just acting like like a five year old being contrary for the sake of getting attention?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

thrawn527 posted:

I also can't volunteer anymore, because doing the Jedi Prince series drat near broke my will to live. But you guys have fun, and I'll read the thread if you get one going.

Your sacrifice will be remembered :911:

Looking back at the original thread, I see that the pictures you posted died off in the middle of book two. Do you think you could fix that?

PROGRESS UPDATE: I have the OP written up in a Google Doc and I'm midway through reading the first chapter. Once I have an update to post (as well as collect some of the more hilarious pictures from the old thread), I'll start the thread.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 30, 2012

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So, uh, this just happened:

StreetInsider posted:

Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchise.

Acquisition continues Disney’s strategic focus on creating and monetizing the world’s best branded content, innovative technology and global growth to drive long-term shareholder value.

Lucasfilm to join company’s global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

An investor conference call will take place at approximately 4:30 p.m. EDT / 1:30 p.m. PDT today, October 30, 2012. Details for the call are listed in the release.

BURBANK, Calif. & SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and “evergreen” Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 30, 2012

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

I was just about to post that. Prepare for the entire post-RotJ EU to be retconned. I have mixed feelings about that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:asoiaf:

Well, um, wow.

I gotta say that my feelings are mostly positive if reserved. At least until more news is forthcoming.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SirPhoebos posted:

:asoiaf:

Well, um, wow.

I gotta say that my feelings are mostly positive if reserved. At least until more news is forthcoming.

This could be very good or very bad, depending. Holy poo poo. This was the last thing I expected to read today.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Casyl posted:

I was just about to post that. Prepare for the entire post-RotJ EU to be retconned. I have mixed feelings about that.

Same here; granted, most of that period (half of NJO, LotF, KJA books) is crap anyway, but you know, Thrawn Trilogy. :smith:

EDIT: Wait... Thrawn Trilogy? :haw:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 30, 2012

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Cross-Section posted:

Same here; granted, most of that period (half of NJO, LotF, KJA books) is crap anyway, but you know, Thrawn Trilogy. :smith:

Maybe we'll get lucky...:smith:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Well, they are already jumping on a new movie. Who knows, maybe Episode 7 will be an adaptation of Heir to the Empire? :shrug:

I'm at least interested to see how this goes down.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe I'm taking this too personally...but I have a collection of every single Star Wars adult novel, a good selection of YA stuff, and around 80% of the comics. I do not want this continuity "overridden", "retconned", or otherwise trampled by a new movie. This news actually angers me.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I'm hoping that the movie is based on one of the good EU stories, but it probably won't be.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, I didn't expect this. I was hoping we'd finally get TV series that wasn't terrible and then the words 'new movie' hit me.

They might be sane and just set it in the distant future future of Star Wars so they have a blank slate with everything.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ugh, I thought I stopped caring about Star Wras continuity poo poo but I'm already worried about how brutally horrible the EU will be hosed because of this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Maybe this will force a 'Crisis Of Infinite Earths' comic book style retcon at last with the EU?

Since Force Cthulu happened there is literally nothing now that is impossible.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

If this is an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, I'll be totally fine with it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SirPhoebos posted:

Your sacrifice will be remembered :911:

Looking back at the original thread, I see that the pictures you posted died off in the middle of book two. Do you think you could fix that?

I can't, because the thread was closed (not by me) and I can't edit them. Sorry.

edit:
Holy poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

If this is an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, I'll be totally fine with it.

We can only hope and prey.

EDIT: I saved most of the pictures of the Jedi Prince books from the Lets Read if they are needed.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, I didn't expect this. I was hoping we'd finally get TV series that wasn't terrible and then the words 'new movie' hit me.

They might be sane and just set it in the distant future future of Star Wars so they have a blank slate with everything.

Probably the most diplomatic move would be to do a movie of the Legacy comics.

Thrawn Trilogy would own bones, but I doubt it. You'd have to sync up what Zahn thought the Clone Wars were about with what we actually got, and that'd probably be a mess.

If David Bowie were younger, I wouldn't mind seeing a Dark Empire movie with him as young Palpatine.

As for the retconning...the books are still there. If you look at Star Wars as a fable rather than a historical record, then you can have conflicting versions of events exsisting besides each other. In any case, the majority of the EU is crap :ssh:

I am wondering how theforce.net is reacting to the news, however. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that George Lucas's favourite EU story is Dark Empire...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
gently caress it, if this means that the current EU can be retired then I guess I can support it. I used to love it but after Darth Jacen and Force Chtullu completely making a mockery out of the literally everything that came before it I'm just tired of it. It can only get worse from here on out so why bother. JUST END IT.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
They could just fast forward to the current EU and have old Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher star in as many movies as possible until they die.

edit: I think I just discovered why Del Rey refuses to move past the big 3.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Oh boy, a Darksaber movie!

:allears:

:suicide:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Casyl posted:

On one hand I don't want them erasing some of the poo poo I love, on the other they'd never do something as stupid Abeloth.

This might be our chance to get the theatrical versions of the original trilogy on Bluray. Disney actually cares about film preservation, and doesn't have a boner for altering poo poo in post unless you count trimming some racism out of Fantasia.

EDIT: Also, hopefully they don't introduce (more) time travel or alternate universe poo poo, that's always annoying. It's a big galaxy with thousands of years of history, find room and play in your corner.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 30, 2012

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Are you guys not happy? It can't be worse than the last 15 years of Star Wars

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I've heard that George Lucas's favourite EU story is Dark Empire...

But there is only two Dark Empire comic arcs.

Though this is a good thing, because DE1 is mostly decent whilst DE2 pretty much goes balls crazy.

Not that I'd refuse to see a CGI Emperor Bowietine voiced by the man himself oh god!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Calliper posted:

Are you guys not happy? It can't be worse than the last 15 years of Star Wars
That is the bright spot here.

:smug: Let's start a petition to remake the prequels.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Sorry to break up the Episode VII talk for a moment, but look this thread's old friend that I found in my parents' house when I went back last weekend:

I used to love those books. :geno:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SirPhoebos posted:

Thrawn Trilogy would own bones, but I doubt it. You'd have to sync up what Zahn thought the Clone Wars were about with what we actually got, and that'd probably be a mess.

I re-read the Thrawn books recently, and don't recall seeing anything that was blatantly wrong. They make comments about not having records from the old clone masters, and comments from the good guys about "Not wanting another round of Clone Wars", but I'm pretty sure he left it very open ended, unless I missed a paragraph somewhere.

Casimir Radon posted:

On one hand I don't want them erasing some of the poo poo I love, on the other they'd never do something as stupid Abeloth.

Probably not, but on the other hand, EU went that way because they basically ran out of death-star-laser-wielding superweapons. Which means...

PhotoKirk posted:

Oh boy, a Darksaber movie!

On the other hand, though, they can't go too far back, unless they recast all of the main movie characters. Unlike the books, when your actors are 30-40 years older than they were, you can't pretend they haven't aged in character.

Casimir Radon posted:

This might be our chance to get the theatrical versions of the original trilogy on Bluray. Disney actually cares about film preservation, and doesn't have a boner for altering poo poo in post unless you count trimming some racism out of Fantasia.

BUY IT NOW BEFORE IT GOES BACK IN THE VAULT FOR ANOTHER 20 YEARS

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

But there is only two Dark Empire comic arcs.

Though this is a good thing, because DE1 is mostly decent whilst DE2 pretty much goes balls crazy.

Not that I'd refuse to see a CGI Emperor Bowietine voiced by the man himself oh god!

There's a 3rd arc, Empire's End, that's only 2 issues long.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Do you want to back up your assertion with some actual reasoning or examples? Or are you just acting like like a five year old being contrary for the sake of getting attention?

It's an example of everything that's wrong with modern Star Wars EU.

1) "edgy" "gritty" characters
2) re-tread of prequel/OT storylines
3) Sith-of-the-Day (as opposed to Superweapon-of-the-Week, but can't have everything)
4) dumb-as-poo poo characters
5) new ships that just look exactly like the old ships

It's also not nearly far enough into the future so now you know that everything Luke/etc. worked for was worthless, and he and his descendants, despite having defeated the most complete Sith rule over the galaxy ever and put an end to the Bane Sith, also managed to not notice an entire second Sith empire building under his nose.

Thematically it gets only one thing right but it invalidates everything that came before it to get there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I don't see how they can do the Thrawn Trilogy without heavy modifications. Harrison Ford has made it very clear that Han Solo is one character he never wants to play again. I'm thinking the new movies will be entirely new stories, and the books will be retconned into oblivion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

api call girl posted:

It's an example of everything that's wrong with modern Star Wars EU.

1) "edgy" "gritty" characters
2) re-tread of prequel/OT storylines
3) Sith-of-the-Day (as opposed to Superweapon-of-the-Week, but can't have everything)
4) dumb-as-poo poo characters
5) new ships that just look exactly like the old ships

It's also not nearly far enough into the future so now you know that everything Luke/etc. worked for was worthless, and he and his descendants, despite having defeated the most complete Sith rule over the galaxy ever and put an end to the Bane Sith, also managed to not notice an entire second Sith empire building under his nose.

Thematically it gets only one thing right but it invalidates everything that came before it to get there.

I'll address 3-5 here.

3. Its not really "Sith of the Day". They establish that the new "One Sith" is a whole organization, and several of the members get fleshed out motivations and full storylines. I will admit, there are a couple one-off Sith.

4. That's is pure opinion. I disagree with it, but there's really no sense debating it because we'll probably never agree on it.

5. To me, they look like logical evolution of the 'modern' ships designs. Look at the Legacy-era TIE variant vs the "regular" TIE fighters. They're obviously still TIEs, but new design.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
They could also do my fast forward suggestion to just after where we are now and force Del Rey to never write a book that has the big 3 in it ever again.

(This will never happen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ursine Asylum posted:

BUY IT NOW BEFORE IT GOES BACK IN THE VAULT FOR ANOTHER 20 YEARS
Better than not being able to buy it at all.