Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Hair dryers in general don't get hot enough to mold foam. The heat you need to mold foam is pretty close to where you'll start burning your skin, and most hair dryers have a governor in them to keep them from getting that hot.

If you can't get out to a hardware store and pick up a heat gun (they're pretty cheap), I've seen people use a low oven or even shape foam over the coils on an electric stove. You might also be able to use a clothes iron on the hottest setting, with a pillowcase or something between it and the foam so it doesn't accidentally stick if it gets too hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Well Sailor V didn't come out as planned so I threw together this...

What do you guys think, I want to wear this again so I need to get better at applying facial prosthetics. Though I was pretty stoked about it.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Kind of hard to tell, really. Any other pictures?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Cross-posting from the PYF cosplay thread:

I added the scarf to my costume because it was seriously like less than 35 degrees last night.

Here's a better picture of PBG's dress that she made:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

Kind of hard to tell, really. Any other pictures?

Not yet I am waiting for a few people to post. I was only able to get myspace angles of myself with this, didn't want to drip on my phone to much. I will post more if I find any good ones. I think I may wear it again though so maybe I can get good pictures then.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

It's coming along, but sadly because I've been winging it, there's some problems.
The side light area is big and boxy and ugly and the helmet doesn't fit properly on top of the mask now because of it. It seemed to fit fine earlier so I was annoyed to find it now doesn't. The lenses also fog up like crazy. The EL wire is also pretty poor quality and has lots of dim spots, and the battery pack makes a high frequency hum right next to my ear. Welp! Might be too late to fix before Halloween.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I know this is off topic but did you shop out your eyes? That looks creepy as hell.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

NancyPants posted:

I know this is off topic but did you shop out your eyes? That looks creepy as hell.

As he said, it was fogged up because there's nowhere for the air to go but through a small opening. Although it does look kinda like flesh, ahah.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Cheap Shot posted:

It's coming along, but sadly because I've been winging it, there's some problems.
The side light area is big and boxy and ugly and the helmet doesn't fit properly on top of the mask now because of it. It seemed to fit fine earlier so I was annoyed to find it now doesn't. The lenses also fog up like crazy. The EL wire is also pretty poor quality and has lots of dim spots, and the battery pack makes a high frequency hum right next to my ear. Welp! Might be too late to fix before Halloween.

The fogging can be fixed, there's coating that you can get that divers use for their masks.... Or so I've been told. I'm claustrophobic so I never wear masks.

The problem with the el wire could be that the battery pack is simply not putting enough power out to supply the whole strand with power.

Does the battery pack HAVE to be stored in the mask/helmet? Could you feed a wire down the back of your neck or something and store it on your body instead?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Killer_Frost posted:

The fogging can be fixed, there's coating that you can get that divers use for their masks.... Or so I've been told. I'm claustrophobic so I never wear masks.

The problem with the el wire could be that the battery pack is simply not putting enough power out to supply the whole strand with power.

Does the battery pack HAVE to be stored in the mask/helmet? Could you feed a wire down the back of your neck or something and store it on your body instead?

Yeah that is called Cat Crap :smug:

:colbert: No... really: http://www.amazon.com/Ek-123625-Cat-Crap-Anti-Fog/dp/B002ZNA488

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know bout cat crap, but as a diver the only anti-fogging materials I ever used were spit and toothpaste.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Woah cool thanks for this. I'm probably out of luck for halloween but maybe I can get some for future reasons to wear it.

Killer_Frost posted:

I may have also damaged the wire removing it from the glasses. I think it was just cheap. It's ok, I'm going to tint the lenses red so just the light they give off should be enough.

I also found out that I can't put the helmet ontop of the mask because of the side light and battery pack being there. I removed the whole thing and rebuilt it on the helmet while looking at source images. It's a lot closer to the real deal now and the battery pack is going to be in a pocket instead of next to my ear.

Still gotta paint it up proper and tint the lenses red. Then I guess I'm done!

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

Woah cool thanks for this. I'm probably out of luck for halloween but maybe I can get some for future reasons to wear it.

I may have also damaged the wire removing it from the glasses. I think it was just cheap. It's ok, I'm going to tint the lenses red so just the light they give off should be enough.

I also found out that I can't put the helmet ontop of the mask because of the side light and battery pack being there. I removed the whole thing and rebuilt it on the helmet while looking at source images. It's a lot closer to the real deal now and the battery pack is going to be in a pocket instead of next to my ear.

Still gotta paint it up proper and tint the lenses red. Then I guess I'm done!

Hehe, cat crap. I just remembered some friends discussing it in reference to a Resident Evil costume he was working on and my brain filed away its existence.

Its good that you can make it work. I just spent a couple hours putting the final touches on my Jedi, I just HAD to have new robes. We get to wear costumes to work, very odd for the medical field, but I'm far too excited about this for a woman of my age. :D

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I declare this helmet, FINISHED!

Thanks for the feedback and help guys. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Finishing touches may include spraying on a protective layer, and tinting the lenses red. I'll see what I can do before Halloween. Shame I couldn't get to the coat and armor in time.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I painted some jumpsuits for my brother and his stepson so the could be Deadpool. Didn't do too much detail but I think it turned out alright.

Also here are the Han and Leia costumes . Foam and Sculpy are kinda fun to work with. The bikini skirt was a bit big for my tiny client but as she lives in a different state from me I am pleased with how it turned out.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

That's a good deadpool! ^

Did the chest armor 2 hours before I went out. Not bad for quick work.

Forgot to pop the collar :(

Got someone else to take the photo and it turned out poorly. :smith:

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
So I'm going to go ahead and start working on next years outfit. Anyone have some suggestions on how to make the rabbit splicer mask from bioshock?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Cheap Shot posted:

This is so loving :black101: great job!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Cheap Shot posted:

Dude, zipties are where it's at. We used roughly 250 zipties on our Halloween costume this year and they are so quick and so durable! I just wish they weren't sort of ugly on the surface.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
3D Printing!

But before I get into that:

I love cosplaying. It's so loving nerdy. A nerdy hobby that is usually a part of a larger nerd hobby. A nerdy Russian doll situation.

I usually do super lazy poo poo. For a few years I've been using a skull mask and some army/tactical poo poo I have and using any excuse to dress up as Ghost from Modern Warfare 2. But it's getting so old and lame. This year, at FanExpo, the level of skill and care being displayed by the costuming community was so intense. I decided it's time to retire Ghost and try to keep up with the jonses and make something really killer.

My brother built his own 3D printer. He's a tech wizard, super smart. But not creative. He had no idea what to print with the drat thing. So we did a 3D scan of my head, and found a nice T-800 skull 3D file online. We used my head as a negative and created a mask that was form fitted to my face and head. So he printed the jaw for me. At this point his printer needed some repairs and he just couldn't be bothered. He was bored with the printer since he learned all he could from it. Now he's on to electric cars.

So my friend and fellow goon/super nerd Linux Assassin got his own printer. This one is pre assembled and tested. But being an off the shelf/out of box printer, it doesn't have the same precision as the home build. The next chunk of the mask didn't have the same fine texture.

I was hoping to have a useable mask by halloween, but the second printer didn't arrive on time. So I have 2/3rds of the mask. At least now I can take my time over the winter and spring and have a nice finished product.

I got impatient and decided to paint it anyway, just to see how it was coming along. The lower jaw is almost done. The upper jaw/cheek piece will need lots of sanding and drilling. I think the upper teeth are a write off and I'll probably get some novelty costume/toy teeth and glue them on.

I feel strongly that the potential for 3D printing being applied to cosplaying is unlimited. But I do need to impart that your printer will not poo poo out perfect, wearable masks/props. Just like other propmaking techniques like vacu-forming, this is actually quite labor intensive.

3D file shaping 8+ hours (3D scan took very little time, and the terminator skull was a pre-existing shape created by an artist and posted online for use with 3D printers)
Printing time on the upper jaw alone 22 hours
sanding, filing and painting 6+ hours (not complete)

ultimately I want a full skull, covered in a tattered latex human face, with tufts of burt hair stuck it. Fake blood and light up LEDs eyes.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Flanker that is nuts!!!

As for me I have a few spare minutes to post some progress. I some how have way over booked myself the past few months... I need a manager or something. So I have a week to finish Black Gold Saw if you remember I had only started the sword... and that was all that was done as of Friday before I went crazy. Here is what I have worked through. The following is roughly 24 hours of progress if I can get even two thirds of that progress today I will be happy.

Feet:

They are currently in the garage with some primer... I am having some difficulties with smoothness and I am not sure what to do about it. I fear I may have the problem with a few different pieces. I am going to try and layer some gesso and sand that. If anyone has a better idea please let me know this doesn't have to be done till Saturday so...

Outfit:

Stupid vinyl. I am having some difficulties with the shape of the shorts I am trying to keep seams minimal but that just may not work I have some curves down there so getting it shaped right requires more than a little darting. All that is left other then that is attaching collar to jacket, lining both pieces, and painting on the jackets symbols.

Leg Parts:

Still have a ton to do on these, they gave me some problems yesterday, working with cardboard can be a huge pain in the butt. So I still need the base of the knee strap, the shin guard, add trimming to the top rack, and foam line them for comfort.

Extras:

Horns are done, I may add a sealer to them. Hands are not drying right. so I am letting them sit a bit more and try and de tack. Not sure if the cold front coming in has something to do with that. No new pics of the sword really as I have only added foam layers.

All in all I still have a crap load to do and wish I had the money for nicer materials but I am still glad all the theatre work I did has helped me be crafty with unsuspecting materials. What do you guys think?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
It's not much but I had finished my Grifter costume (more like.. just mask.. featuring generic army getup) for the NYCC wanted to post it.

Lots of comments from strangers who passed me about whether I could see or "that guy is scary" sort of thing.

I had a surprising amount of people actually know who I was despite not wearing the signature green trenchcoat.

Surprisingly didn't get as many "Deadpool?" comments as I thought I would too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Okay I'm asking here rather than the general sewing thread because it's specifically for the purposes of costuming in general and cosplay in specific. So, I'm looking at getting my sister a sewing machine for christmas for her costumes and the like. If I go and pick up whatever's on for between eighty and a hundred bucks at wal-mart, will I be purchasing a machine that will only give her grief?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

neongrey posted:

Okay I'm asking here rather than the general sewing thread because it's specifically for the purposes of costuming in general and cosplay in specific. So, I'm looking at getting my sister a sewing machine for christmas for her costumes and the like. If I go and pick up whatever's on for between eighty and a hundred bucks at wal-mart, will I be purchasing a machine that will only give her grief?

Nope! There's absolutely nothing wrong with cheap sewing machines, because at their heart they perform very basic functions (especially Brother and Singer, which are both sold at WalMart, IIRC). That being said, if she's super into costuming and wants to do more complex stitches or more heavy-duty sewing you're better off looking into some hardier machines. I can help you find a good one if you're leaning toward the latter.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I agree with Rufus just because Walmart carries them doesn't mean they are bad. Be sure to make sure what kind of sewing she wants to do and also check out reviews on the different models.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I've got a little Kenmore that my grandma bought me at sears several years ago. I've used it for everything including vinyl and leather. It doesn't always do the best job, and I probably shouldn't use it for heavier fabrics, but it will do it.

Just because its cheaper doesn't mean it's crap.

Eventually I'll replace mine with something more expensive, but I still use it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Okay, cool, I'll make sure I look up whatever I go with. As far as I know she's not wanting to do anything particularly heavy-duty -- more than she can with hand-sewing, to be sure, but she's not wanting to deal with sewing leather or many thick layers together or anything as far as I know.

I just wanted to make sure since going lower-end with a lot of things like that can result in something that'll fall apart or just not up to more than the most basic tasks.

Glad to know sewing machines aren't one of those things. Thanks guys!

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

My sister and I both got the same machine, they both had issues with bird nesting on the bobbin. It was nothing a trip to the repair shop couldn't fix.... Well that and using my walking foot for heavier stuff and sometimes more than a couple layers of fabric, but if she's used to hand sewing even problems like that will be no biggie.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

neongrey posted:

Okay, cool, I'll make sure I look up whatever I go with. As far as I know she's not wanting to do anything particularly heavy-duty -- more than she can with hand-sewing, to be sure, but she's not wanting to deal with sewing leather or many thick layers together or anything as far as I know.

I just wanted to make sure since going lower-end with a lot of things like that can result in something that'll fall apart or just not up to more than the most basic tasks.

Glad to know sewing machines aren't one of those things. Thanks guys!

Also remember even for a simple stitch machine there is a lot to be said about different needle types and feet types. I hands down am grateful that I started on a basic singer machine with a few option feet and different needle types (sharp, universal, stretch, jean/denim). It helps you learn the basics much better.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
After cosplaying for the first time at NYCC, I'm hooked. I'm already planning for next year. For (one of) my next cosplay(s), I want to go as a set of triplets, with me dressing as one and the other two being mounted on my back like this. What materials should I use to build the flat that the other 'siblings' will be painted on? I'm thinking foam core backed with a whole lot of tape to reinforce it, but if there are other better options I'm very open to suggestions.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

neongrey posted:

I had a cheap singer from wal mart as a back up machine and it broke without me having using it too often. Sometimes you can get less expensive machines from a shop that will include classes and a good warranty. Worth it IMO.

Newcott
Oct 19, 2011
Hi All,

Thought you might like this Cosplay music video from London Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpW7gNkohFA

Hope you enjoy :D

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
My goon SO and I are finally taking on our first real cosplay together for Emerald City in March - The Night Watch's Carrot and Angua a la Paul Kidby:

We'll be using mostly craft foam - Already picked up some brown foam to experiment with. I'll work on Angua's collar first, then move out to the bigger projects (belts, skirts, chest plate, helmet). I leaning towards knitted chain mail (or at least experimenting with that as well).

Things I am worried about : The helmet (how the hell do I bend foam like that?), the chest pieces (it's so large . . . the weathering and texture is a bit scary too), and the sandles (Hmmm . . .).

We did take the first step and cobbled together some duct tape dress forms. Now to steal a bunch of free newspapers to stuff them with:

dem titties

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
For the helmet, I had good luck building my last one out of a base crappy costume helmet from Goodwill, then built it out with craft foam and papier mache'd the whole deal. I did a write-up with pictures on my blog, if you're interested: http://foamcorps.blogspot.com/2012/09/hildes-helmet.html#more

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'll be wearing my Stormtrooper armor to Emerald City CC! Can't wait to see you there!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

McPantserton posted:

For the helmet, I had good luck building my last one out of a base crappy costume helmet from Goodwill, then built it out with craft foam and papier mache'd the whole deal. I did a write-up with pictures on my blog, if you're interested: http://foamcorps.blogspot.com/2012/09/hildes-helmet.html#more

Thanks so much for the tip (and the blog link!). We'll be on a look out for a stupid kid's helmet. So, I just want to get the steps checked by you: Add foam to helmet to give it the ridges and shape, cover with paper mache for structure. I don't think we'd bother with the clay (unless needed) - so, with a foam and paper mache cobbled helmet, I just can paint it and clear coat it? Is gesso needed before hand and/or are their other alternatives? If you can't tell, I'm horribly new to this :sigh:

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'll be wearing my Stormtrooper armor to Emerald City CC! Can't wait to see you there!

My SO will be jealous of your armor - if you don't see a Carrot and Angua, it's because everything blew up in our faces and we're going as Krieger and Pam from Archer as plan B :( Make sure you ask us if their are stairs in our house, because all you Stormtroopers look the same.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

PezMaster posted:

Thanks so much for the tip (and the blog link!). We'll be on a look out for a stupid kid's helmet. So, I just want to get the steps checked by you: Add foam to helmet to give it the ridges and shape, cover with paper mache for structure. I don't think we'd bother with the clay (unless needed) - so, with a foam and paper mache cobbled helmet, I just can paint it and clear coat it? Is gesso needed before hand and/or are their other alternatives? If you can't tell, I'm horribly new to this :sigh:

No worries! That all sounds perfect. The mache also helps cover awkward foam seams if the shaping is such that it won't be perfectly smooth. I did do a few coats of gesso on mine to smooth out the mache texture a bit.

e. Guess I'm still the most recent post!
Here's the art/plans for a few pieces of my current project! Top one is the art for my bracers, bottom one is the potential screen print for a fantasy-style crotch skirt thing.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 13, 2012

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Moons Everywhere!! Looks cool.

So finally wore all of Shiki, I think I am still to heavy for it but my evil friends talked me into it. Got a wicked photo though!

She posted the lit up version so I posted it as well.

Also did a shoot with Black Gold Saw, but it isn't up yet. We took first in the masters category with our three costumes from that series. Exciting because the two girls with me were still novice. I plan to repair and rework a lot on it, a week was not even close to enough time to get it where I wanted it. Also the feet hurt, like severely. Gonna have to modify them. Also need to finish the sword, cold front came in the week I was working and nothing wanted to dry properly.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 14, 2012

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
Someone on the Halloween thread linked here, and this is great! You guys are a fantastic resource, and I will definitely be picking your brains for some upcoming costumes.

This was also posted in the Halloween thread, but it probably belongs more here.
I went as the Year of the Dragon, complete with handmade dragon. I don't have any really good pictures, but here's how it came out:

And here's how I made it: http://nekotomeoto.blogspot.jp/2012/10/how-to-make-dragon.html

If I were going to do it again, I'd make it a puppet. I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't think of it soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PezMaster posted:

My SO will be jealous of your armor - if you don't see a Carrot and Angua, it's because everything blew up in our faces and we're going as Krieger and Pam from Archer as plan B :( Make sure you ask us if their are stairs in our house, because all you Stormtroopers look the same.

I'll probably have a horse head mask on for at least some of it so come say hello!