Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

I'm going to have to second the issues with Jones the eternal attractive white lady. Humans have been around for about 200 thousand years, but white people a quarter of that. This leads to 2 unappealing options.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than two options. You're reaching pretty far for a reason to be offended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

So Jones can't be hurt by anything normal. Not by a sword, not by punching a wall, not by fire, not by a loving buffalo charging into her.

Coyote's Tooth can cut through anything. It can cut a shadow from the floor.

What happens if you use a sword that can cut through anything on a woman who can't be hurt?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Freudian posted:

What happens if you use a sword that can cut through anything on a woman who can't be hurt?

Then you're a jerk.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Why are we talking about Homo Sapiens and white people? Jones obviously isn't either.

Freudian posted:

So Jones can't be hurt by anything normal. Not by a sword, not by punching a wall, not by fire, not by a loving buffalo charging into her.

Coyote's Tooth can cut through anything. It can cut a shadow from the floor.

Not being able to be hurt by anything normal isn't the same as not being able to be hurt.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jones is literally robot hitler

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
This whole chapter is Jones having PTSD style flashbacks provoked by Annie's question.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MikeJF posted:

Excess melanin production is stimulated in response UV exposure, but there's a natural baseline level. You don't exactly need to put African babies in the sun to ripen them and turn them dark.

Obviously, but the natural baseline level is lower depending on how far back you go (and it appears we're going pretty far back here). We (as a species) only started developing darker skin tone once we lost our body hair; I'm pretty sure that our hairy ancestors were comparatively light skinned because they were basically covered up 100% of the time.

This is of course ignoring the fact that Jones is physically developed enough to fit in with modern day people, but yeah. I imagine there was a bit of a window there between "losing body hair" and "genetically predisposed to handling more sunlight without being covered" where people that looked like Jones wouldn't be uncommon, assuming a lack of tan.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nipponophile posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than two options. You're reaching pretty far for a reason to be offended.

That's kinda the whole point of this entire forum.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Cabbit posted:

Maybe being white isn't a mutation. Maybe Jones was the first white person, and all white people share her as a common ancestor.

"No, Antimony, I am your mother^13!"

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Ursine Asylum posted:

This is of course ignoring the fact that Jones is physically developed enough to fit in with modern day people, but yeah. I imagine there was a bit of a window there between "losing body hair" and "genetically predisposed to handling more sunlight without being covered" where people that looked like Jones wouldn't be uncommon, assuming a lack of tan.
It's also possible that Jones has just always looked weird compared to the rest of the people around her and that it's only recently (on an evolutionary timescale) that she's happened to kinda fit in at all.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Or she's an alien that only coincentally resembles caucasian humans. Soon we're gonna see her climb out of a crater caused by the meteor that killed the dinosaurs.

Then we're going to learn that travelling through space on a giant rock is really boring.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What if Jones experiences time in reverse

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

pandaK posted:

What if Jones experiences time in reverse

Merlin is a legendary character, but T. H. White's version of him is not... I think we've found our loophole!

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Jones is immortal. My theory is that she's the product of some misguided court immortality/godhood experiment that went terribly wrong and resulted in her living forever. Literally forever, so she retroactively exists at every moment in time back to the formation of the universe. Having accidentally and irrevocably altered human history and the fundamental nature of reality forever, the court swears off this etheric science nonsense and decides to achieve their quest to become gods through the much safer avenue of robots.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I'm going to have to go with the theory that "Jones" is Lilith.

In the Talmud (Tractate Sanhedrin 38b), Adam was initially created as a golem

A similar version, related to the earlier Talmudic passages, recounts how Lilith was fashioned with the same substance as Adam was, shortly before.

A Golem is inanimate matter brought to life with a set of instructions.

This chapter is called "The Stone".

Tom recently crated a "golem heart" shirt, and I am pretty sure we have not seen any golems in the story so far.

I believe that Lilith was told to "serve man." If you look in all these flashbacks, she is simply doing what all the people are asking of her.

sansuki fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 30, 2012

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

DarkCrawler posted:

Why are we talking about Homo Sapiens and white people? Jones obviously isn't either.
Also you see they only look 11, they are actually a highly advanced race of 100 year old

sansuki posted:

I'm going to have to go with the theory that "Jones" is Lilith.

In the Talmud (Tractate Sanhedrin 38b), Adam was initially created as a golem

A similar version, related to the earlier Talmudic passages, recounts how Lilith was fashioned with the same substance as Adam was, shortly before.

A Golem is inanimate matter brought to life with a set of instructions.

This chapter is called "The Stone".

Tom recently crated a "golem heart" shirt, and I am pretty sure we have not seen any golems in the story so far.

I believe that Lilith was told to "serve man." If you look in all these flashbacks, she is simply doing what all the people are asking of her.
This is a great theory, and would be awesome. As goyische as Jones looks haha

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

We HAVE seen Golems, though. Diego's original robots - Kat and the robots confirmed as much. See Chapter 33 for details!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Rats.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Cabbit posted:

Maybe being white isn't a mutation. Maybe Jones was the first white person, and all white people share her as a common ancestor.
I rather hope not, since suggesting all white people are descended from an immortal superhuman brings up its own unfortunate implications.

Nipponophile posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than two options.
Okay, like what?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I rather hope not, since suggesting all white people are descended from an immortal superhuman brings up its own unfortunate implications.

Are they more or less unfortunate than the implication that there's an insane coyote trickster god living in a forest somewhere that can eat that moon if he wanted to?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think Lilith would probably count as "existing mythology".

Unless other ethnic groups also descended from other immortal superhuman beings. Then it's just racist against the homo ergaster, and they're all dead so they will probably not complain too much about it.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Cat Mattress posted:

I think Lilith would probably count as "existing mythology".
The name "Wandering Eye" doesn't originate from an existing mythology. The rest of Jones' identity is fair game.

vvv I agree that this whole "seemingly immortal white lady" development COULD lead to concerns of ethnocentrism, but why don't we wait and see Tom's conclusion before going there?

Fecha fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 31, 2012

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Ursine Asylum posted:

Are they more or less unfortunate than the implication that there's an insane coyote trickster god living in a forest somewhere that can eat that moon if he wanted to?
Yes, because white people exist in the real world while insane coyote trickster gods don't.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
No, no, no guys. Clearly Jones is Antimony's ancestor by virtue of the fact that she's clearly immune to fire and is therefore the only being capable of procreating with a fire elemental. Totally makes sense, fo reals.

In all seriousness, I hope surprises us all and I have faith in him as a writer to come up with something both satisfying and compelling.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Fecha posted:

The name "Wandering Eye" doesn't originate from an existing mythology. The rest of Jones' identity is fair game.

vvv I agree that this whole "seemingly immortal white lady" development COULD lead to concerns of ethnocentrism, but why don't we wait and see Tom's conclusion before going there?

Because we're not there yet and I have to pee.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe Jones is a time traveller in a weird-rear end closed timelike loop.

Pretty soon, forget about caucasian, we're going to have questions about why she's (apparently) homo sapiens when everyone around her isn't.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why the hell is a complex multicellular entity hanging around with unicellular bacteria? :colbert:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

SynthOrange posted:

Why the hell is a complex multicellular entity hanging around with unicellular bacteria? :colbert:

Tom your eukaryocentrism is showing, check your privilege.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yes, because white people exist in the real world while insane coyote trickster gods don't.

.. Of course, that's just what they'd want us to think. :tinfoil:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Wow it's like I took a hard right turn into Tumblrville.

Can someone check my map for me? think the directions are off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sansuki posted:

:siren: IT'S A COOKBOOK :siren:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Speaking of Coyote's tooth, I am really interested in what's gonna happen when another sentient being gets cut by it, it seems to change them.

Think about it, Shadow went from 2d to 3d, Robot discovered love, what the hell would've happened if Parley had tested that edge with her thumb? What's gonna happen if Jeanne gets a slice from that sword?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

ATP_Power posted:

Speaking of Coyote's tooth, I am really interested in what's gonna happen when another sentient being gets cut by it, it seems to change them.

Think about it, Shadow went from 2d to 3d, Robot discovered love, what the hell would've happened if Parley had tested that edge with her thumb? What's gonna happen if Jeanne gets a slice from that sword?

Well, obviously her binding to the river will be severed and she'll be free to fly up to the Court and maim the souls of all those damned children with their gleaming, mocking hearts

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Rasamune posted:

Well, obviously her binding to the river will be severed and she'll be free to fly up to the Court and maim the souls of all those damned children with their gleaming, mocking hearts

Naw, see you just cut out the hole where her heart was, problem solved.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
In a fit of conscience, Tom redraws Jones in every page to exactly match the indigenous people, so as not to offend anyone.

"Who are all these ladies in all these different time periods? They don't look identical, so they can't be Jones!" the thread cries out.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

For those of you who were wondering, assuming geological epochs, this is between 2.5 million and 11,700 years ago.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I wish "Give absolutely no gently caress whatsoever" was a legitimate survival skill for cold exposure.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Roger Explosion posted:

I wish "Give absolutely no gently caress whatsoever" was a legitimate survival skill for cold exposure.

Maybe that's the source of her power. Gives absolutely zero fucks.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 31, 2012

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Theory Time: Theres an entity that created the earth that is not omniscient and Jones is both their way to see whats going on as well as their method of direct intervention in worldly affairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
So Jones is basically confirmed pre-human, right?
That just raises more questions!