Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tragic Peculiar posted:

Not defending them, even at all, but isn't it 2 cokes? Still obscene (especially as it's in Euros), but not quite as much as before. I'm somehow more shocked that someone would pay 10 Euros for a single water.

10 Euros for a coke was the top end of cafe prices in Paris the other week when I was there fwiw. ~5 Euros was typical

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

midnightclimax posted:

WTF is Loup - 1kg? Don't tell me eating wolf meat is the latest craze among the rich.

From their website, independence day party

Loup is a type of fish called wolfish or rock turbot in English.

It's also the French name of the seabass, so it's one or the other:

Marat's death:

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Loup is a type of fish called wolfish or rock turbot in English.
Ok, but does that mean they're eating beluga whales too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB4dYaHewYw
NWS

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Experto Crede posted:

$20 for a coca cola? What... I... gently caress :psyduck: Who, who the gently caress would pay that much for coke? Even if you were the richest person on earth, how could you justify that when coke costs like 50¢/litre to produce?

The same kinds of people who claim raising taxes is crippling them financially and class warfare.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cool Bear posted:

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares(2) we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest(3) began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots(4)
Of tired, outstripped(5) Five-Nines(6) that dropped behind.
Gas!(7) Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets(8) just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime(9) . . .
Dim, through the misty panes(10) and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering,(11) choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud(12)
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest(13)
To children ardent(14) for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.(15)

Link with the numbered notes. Who would tell them "it is sweet and right to die for your country?" A latin phrase widely understood and often quoted at the start of the first world war.

Does it matter, losing your legs?
The people will always be kind,
And you need not show that you mind,
When the lads come in after hunting,
To gobble their muffins and eggs.

Does it matter, losing your sight?
There's such wonderful work for the blind,
And the people will always be kind,
As you sit on the terrace, remembering,
And turn your face to the light.

Do they matter, those dreams from the pit?
You can drink, and forget, and be glad,
And no one will say that you're mad
For they'll know that you fought for your country,
And none of it matters a bit.

god I love trench poetry

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

cyberbully posted:

168k bar tab. #champagne #domperignon #armanddebrignac by b_attenhofer #rkoi

Jesus christ. That's over ten years of income for the bottom fifth of UK households. On loving alcohol, in one night. This is loving disgusting wealth. The fact that this makes me more angry than the horrible drone strike pictures, which just elicit a sense a crushing despair and hopelessness, probably makes me an awful person.

Jesus christ. I can barely believe these people are real and don't just loving drown themselves in shame.

Child poverty in the UK, from Feb 2011. Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/feb/23/child-poverty-britain-map

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

That's pretty smart. I know I spend a lot of money when I've got nothing to do but sit on the Internet.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Armyman25 posted:

That's pretty smart. I know I spend a lot of money when I've got nothing to do but sit on the Internet.

Tinned marmalade? Truly war is hell...

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

cyberbully posted:

Ok, but does that mean they're eating beluga whales too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB4dYaHewYw
NWS

Caviar from Beluga sturgeon. They're critically endangered now because rich people would kill 100+ year old fish for their eggs. They lived in the Volga river as well as caspian sea basin. They were the largest freshwater fish in the world, but these days there's barely any left.

It's basically as disgusting as hunting rhino horns, but it's ok because white people do it.

linked for huge:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Beluga.JPG

The Selling Wizard
Apr 10, 2009

CAN I BUM A SMOKE
OFF YA, SPACE MAN

Kurtofan posted:

Marat's death:

He just saw that alcohol receipt.

Dat queen~

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gaddafi reacts to a BBC reporter's attempts to beg for an answer that would please the British government. Adam Curtis has a long blog entry on the western media image of Gaddafi.

e: Gotta love the way those two posts came together.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 30, 2012

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Noreaus posted:

Jesus christ. That's over ten years of income for the bottom fifth of UK households. On loving alcohol, in one night. This is loving disgusting wealth. The fact that this makes me more angry than the horrible drone strike pictures, which just elicit a sense a crushing despair and hopelessness, probably makes me an awful person.

Jesus christ. I can barely believe these people are real and don't just loving drown themselves in shame.

IIRC, that was the bar bill for the NHL team that won the Stanley Cup a few years back. Most of it was a 100K bottle of champagne anyway.

EDIT: actually no, that's a receipt from England. Same brand of champagne though. Eat the rich.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 31, 2012

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYHVOIDUGE8
Shag the Queen.

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

I have my eye on a suite in Baker Street.
New fallout graphics look great

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

cyberbully posted:

Some of the worst from http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com

Ughhh. New Whip. Rolls Royce Corniche. Only 330 ever made. #rollsroyce by toraclothing_hilton

Just a kid and his toys. #rkoi by prestonthompson

On to a castle party. by simondbr #rkoi

Coat matches the Rolls. by mikmak514

Delivered all the way from New York. by alfie458 #classicferrari

Little bit of shopping by teah59 #rolex #hermes #davidyurman

Rock the boat in Bali. by mdmolinari #Bali

$200 tip for a $10 cab ride #blackoutproblems by petramarguerite #funemployed

From the G6 to the yacht to the private island. by samuelfastlicht

Walking is for the 99% @erikpmurray #rkoi by truecb

168k bar tab. #champagne #domperignon #armanddebrignac by b_attenhofer #rkoi

And I got another one this week :) #trustfund #check by bon_et_copieux

My #louisvuitton gun. by dominicanbarbie

Pulling up to my house on a boat. #miami #winning #balling #getonmylevel by theballerlife

$100,000 receipt. #nikkibeach #sainttropez by nazam_nazou #redbull #dom #caviar

A normal 17 year old looks for a car to buy. I look for shell corporations. #businessismylife #adaugeopartners by bradmontgomery

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

:bahgawd: those fuckken reds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBHgqplgpk

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I know I'm late on beach house chat but I wouldn't be upset with someone who prayed for the safety of the people affected by Sandy and also hoped their personal property would be ok, however, praying to God almighty for the safety of your beach house without mentioning the people affected by the storm means you're a horrible human being.

Nate Silver is pretty DND right now, his effeminate voice and statistical analysis causes conservatives to hiss in agony.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stolen from some goon I follow on tumblr, but I can never remember who he is:

also:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

should be a tenner

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I know I'm late on beach house chat but I wouldn't be upset with someone who prayed for the safety of the people affected by Sandy and also hoped their personal property would be ok, however, praying to God almighty for the safety of your beach house without mentioning the people affected by the storm means you're a horrible human being.

Not to defend rich people, but based on that you can't really condemn any of the people who made those tweets. Each of the tweets in that image is just a single tweet--the people making them may have each made many other tweets "mentioning the people affected by the storm," and only one each concerning their beach houses.

In any case, it's not really surprising--it's the same reason people care far more about their pet dying than a planeload of people crashing.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 31, 2012

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Noreaus posted:

Child poverty in the UK, from Feb 2011. Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/feb/23/child-poverty-britain-map

The Graun's maps on poverty are very elucidating.

A map of last year's riots overlaid on poverty levels for areas in Manchester. Red areas are the poorest, yellow dots are the addresses of all people arrested on suspicion of offences during the riots.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

dr.gigolo posted:

While behavioral psychology always gets a bad reputation (some of it deserved) it can produce effective results and is an integral part of the aforementioned Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, which is one of the most commonly used therapies around and often the only one supported by insurance plans. Its also used in Applied Behavioral Analysis, which is considered one of the most effective treatments for autism spectrum disorders.

Wait wait. Can you fill me in on the parts that earned it a bad reputation? Is it just the unethical experiments that have been done? My dad writes the "Applied Behavioral Analysis" and "Exceptional Children" intro to special ed texts so obviously I've only heard mostly good things about it. Genuinely curious here.

Content:

Shot this myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gb1NdnfYKg

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

:fsmug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nanomashoes posted:

IIRC, that was the bar bill for the NHL team that won the Stanley Cup a few years back. Most of it was a 100K bottle of champagne anyway.

EDIT: actually no, that's a receipt from England. Same brand of champagne though. Eat the rich.

Here's that Bruins Stanley Cup bottle service tab:

And have some UN:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
A friend of mine sent me a link to a facebook page called "Support our troops or get the gently caress out", which contained gems such as:

:suicide:

(As an aside, do the GOP really still try and get votes by advertising themselves as the part of Lincoln? If so, how can they do that with a straight face?)

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Experto Crede posted:

$20 for a coca cola? What... I... gently caress :psyduck: Who, who the gently caress would pay that much for coke? Even if you were the richest person on earth, how could you justify that when coke costs like 50¢/litre to produce?

That's not that unusual. I'm not anything close to rich, but I've been to expensive bars where they would ask more than ten bucks for a glass of Coke. You're taking up space in a bar that sells expensive drinks, if you want to drink Coke of course you're going to pay.

edit: redundancy

a slime fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 31, 2012

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Experto Crede posted:

(As an aside, do the GOP really still try and get votes by advertising themselves as the part of Lincoln? If so, how can they do that with a straight face?)

It's a pretty normal thing for Republicans to completely ignore history and to act as though the current party system resembles previous party systems.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Here's that Bruins Stanley Cup bottle service tab:

And have some UN:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's a pretty normal thing for Republicans to completely ignore history and to act as though the current party system resembles previous party systems.

Desegregated the US military.

There's like 3 ashtrays on his desk. Were they all presents or did people just smoke that much?

Nih
Oct 22, 2008

The chairmen of the three parties that make up Denmark's current center-left coalition government, with Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt in center.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Armyman25 posted:

There's like 3 ashtrays on his desk. Were they all presents or did people just smoke that much?

I think they really smoked that much. I used to drive a 67 Imperial that had about six ashtrays or so.

quote:

During the Thermopylae rally, the party's leader would declare, "We are being invaded and we must clean our country of [undocumented immigrants]! No more Hassan, Mohammad, Ali!"

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Armyman25 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were all for smoking.

For example, Lyndon Johnson, according to Master of the Senate (truly wonderful book which everyone even vaguely interested in US politics should read) smoked like a chimney whilst working other senators for a vote, and his ashtray would be overflowing within minutes.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6rg_Haider

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Old cigarette ads are the best.

Camels were my personal poison for years.

When I was in the military, I got the nickname "Turkish Blend" because I smoked so many of those damned Camel softpacks.

Even after years of not smoking, I still crave cigarettes from time to time. Addiction is a bitch. It's so tempting to just buy one more pack...

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

There are so many old cigarette commercials on YouTube... Its a terrible habit (I say that as a smoker) and it's a good thing tv ads were banned back in 1970 but drat many of them are still awesome even today. Wicked advertising.

1960s Kent commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33fSU2Q_ZUY

"More doctors smoke Camel than any other cigarette!!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

Egyptian Gitanes commercial, 1982. Yes, that is Omar Sharif. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVsELy8diDE

1950s KOOL commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epk1NApjZEU

And this is what Joseph Cullman has to say about pregnant women who smoke! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpwcF3Malj8

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f17fWth3YgA

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Saw this today when I pulled in at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

quote:

“Dia de muertos” @ the Mexico-US Border in Mexicali BC Mexico border with Calexico CA US.

In memory of the thousands of Latin@ men, women, and children, killed by racist vigilantes, Border Patrol bigots, and institutional colonialism along the Mexico-US border.

quote:

Got my Romney-Ryan bumper sticker in the mail today

• Locked thread