Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zombie Force posted:

I would go with something like this:

My fiancé and I just moved into a two bedroom apartment. We have a large kitchen, lots of cupboard space with new oven and refrigerator, washer and dryer in the unit. The apartment has an open floor plan, large windows that let in a lot of light and off street parking. We have a back yard and will be using it to grow some herbs and vegetables next year.

We are fun roommates, we work hard and won’t be home a lot, but when we are we like to cook big meals, hang out with the neighbors, enjoy photography, go on bike rides and explore the area. We like to travel and have a lot of stories to share. We are meticulously clean and expect the same from our roommate. Ideally we want to share our home and not just rent out a bedroom we are not using. No pets please.

Sometimes less is more, and your brocolli farting story will be much more endearing in person accompanied by a smile than it is in print. I don't like the word "cozy" (it is code word for small) and don't word things in ways that imply you are desperate.

Wow, yeah you're right. Thanks for writing that up. I'll repost tonight with some pictures.

I've been reading Your Money or Your Life and I want to try it out. Toeshoes is going to read it too, hopefully this weekend. So I'll post my monthly updates that I've neglected, and which are troubling, and then I'll move forward in November with the 9 steps. The good news is that it seems like we're accidentally fairly frugal in most areas. The bad news is that our spending habits and work habits have very little to do with our values. Mine in particular.

In the value vein, I'm going to start volunteering a couple of nights a week. My psychologist recommends it, the book recommends it, and even reading about some of the groups around here makes me excited to the point of making my day, so I volunteered as a tutor for the literacy council here. I just have to give them a criminal record check and meet them and I can get started. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Zombie Force posted:

I would go with something like this:

My fiancé and I just moved into a two bedroom apartment. We have a large kitchen, lots of cupboard space with new oven and refrigerator, washer and dryer in the unit. The apartment has an open floor plan, large windows that let in a lot of light and off street parking. We have a back yard and will be using it to grow some herbs and vegetables next year.

We are fun roommates, we work hard and won’t be home a lot, but when we are we like to cook big meals, hang out with the neighbors, enjoy photography, go on bike rides and explore the area. We like to travel and have a lot of stories to share. We are meticulously clean and expect the same from our roommate. Ideally we want to share our home and not just rent out a bedroom we are not using. No pets please.

Sometimes less is more, and your brocolli farting story will be much more endearing in person accompanied by a smile than it is in print. I don't like the word "cozy" (it is code word for small) and don't word things in ways that imply you are desperate.

Yeah, while the ad you have posted reads somewhat interestingly, I would have skipepd right over it if looking for a new place. It's too drat long for one, there are no pictures, and it seems just not serious in general. Give a fixed rent price, list the appliances, list the utilities included, (gas, heat, electric water etc) is there parking? Ground floor, balcony etc?

PSEUDO EDIT: I see zombie mentioned off street parking. I totally missed that in your ad because i was trying to skim the whole thing. Concise and to the point is better when trying to sell/advertise something.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

When did *that* happen? Better start saving for that wedding! Also, congratulations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nyerf posted:

When did *that* happen? Better start saving for that wedding! Also, congratulations.

She asked me to marry her a bunch of times, going from February 2012 on and I eventually caved and said yes in May. :)

The plan was to have a cottage potluck ceremony. The main costs would be a big spit pig and spit rental and the marrying dude. No dresses, no tux, no rings, 30-50 of our close friends and family. The date was going to be August 25 but we didnt give enough notice and toeshoes' mom had a lot of other commitments and some other people wouldn't have made it. The money also wasn't right yet, so we're going to do the "wedding" next year. No big deal.

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.

tuyop posted:

She asked me to marry her a bunch of times, going from February 2012 on and I eventually caved and said yes in May. :)

The plan was to have a cottage potluck ceremony. The main costs would be a big spit pig and spit rental and the marrying dude. No dresses, no tux, no rings, 30-50 of our close friends and family. The date was going to be August 25 but we didnt give enough notice and toeshoes' mom had a lot of other commitments and some other people wouldn't have made it. The money also wasn't right yet, so we're going to do the "wedding" next year. No big deal.

Heads up, it costs $121 for a marriage license. :3:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

You might have shared the good news with us when it happened.

Next, you'll be saying that we aren't invited to the ceremony.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I noticed that too, but I thought I missed something that was said earler. Contratulations. :toot: Did Toeshoes approve the wording of the brocolli fart apartment ad? If so, then you two are made for each other and make sure that you never let each other go. :)

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
Congratulations on the fiancée (extra E)!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zombie Force posted:

I noticed that too, but I thought I missed something that was said earler. Contratulations. :toot: Did Toeshoes approve the wording of the brocolli fart apartment ad? If so, then you two are made for each other and make sure that you never let each other go. :)

Actually I wrote it when I thought we'd already rented the room, mostly so that she'd find it funny and maybe we'd have a backup renter. Now we have to actually be serious and clean up to take some pics.

Thanks for the congrats guys.

So I was thinking of my motivation behind spending and consuming most things, and I think my biggest problem is that I'm scared of dying. I need to talk to the psychologist about this, but that's why I really traveled like I did, it's why I hate my job so much, it's the reason behind a scary amount of the things I do and the ways I feel. Like I want to feel good about my life if I had a year to live, or three weeks, or died in an hour. It just never happened, and I guess that's because I've been externalizing all of the ways that I can try to feel better about my life. I need to work on this.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Congratulations!

How much would the pig cost? Have you considered lechon instead of roasting the pig? It's the same thing but the pig is roasted and bbq'd. $150-200.

Leftover lechon panfried is more sinful than bacon.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

So I was thinking of my motivation behind spending and consuming most things, and I think my biggest problem is that I'm scared of dying. I need to talk to the psychologist about this, but that's why I really traveled like I did, it's why I hate my job so much, it's the reason behind a scary amount of the things I do and the ways I feel. Like I want to feel good about my life if I had a year to live, or three weeks, or died in an hour. It just never happened, and I guess that's because I've been externalizing all of the ways that I can try to feel better about my life. I need to work on this.

This is a very good possibility. I have a brother who lives his life like this. Back in his twenties, he told me he didn't think he'd live to see 40. He turned 40 this year, and is still struggling to make ends meet because he wasted a good portion of his adult life. I'm not saying you can't have fun, I'm just saying that planning for the long-term makes more sense.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

This is a very good possibility. I have a brother who lives his life like this. Back in his twenties, he told me he didn't think he'd live to see 40. He turned 40 this year, and is still struggling to make ends meet because he wasted a good portion of his adult life. I'm not saying you can't have fun, I'm just saying that planning for the long-term makes more sense.

You're right. To get me there though, I think I have to figure out what "enough" is. When have I traveled enough? What does that even mean? When have I helped enough, created enough, contributed enough? What is enough right now?

For me, it's trying to remodel my thinking on the fact that my career is on hold right now and THAT'S OK. I don't have to be freelancing, completing a part time degree, writing 90 pages a week for the engineering school, AND becoming a fit, supple leopard.

I'm trying to become more mindful of the things that I love about my day to day. I love biking to a farmers market and talking with the lady there about her esoteric cured meat products. I like cooking delicious meals for, and keeping the house clean for toeshoes so that she can concentrate on her career. I like having beautiful things around me so I don't like my bare walls and lack of houseplants.

The smallest parts of my spending seem to be the most rewarding, ironically. Out of every hundred dollars I spend, nearly seventy is spent on my car so that I can drive to the job that I hate. Only about 15 is spent on food, which is very important to me, and it's still a compromise because I have to spend so much on the car (I'd prefer to buy local and organic foods so that I could feel better about the environment). I spend practically nothing on exercise, which is one of my favorite things to do, and it's essentially free anyway!

Just thinking about this stuff has made me feel more in control and I think I can get to a more frugal position this way. I'm pretty excited to apply the steps from "your money or your life" next month.

Edit: also, I think this thread is going to get kind of philosophical and away from the math of money toward the relationship of money and life. But if we can discuss broccoli farts (briefly) then I guess it's slightly more on topic to talk about what having enough money and spending means.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 25, 2012

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Didn't I read a while back you were supposed to have your appointment with the doctor disability guy on the 24th?

April
Jul 3, 2006

quote:

AND becoming a fit, supple leopard.

For some reason I read this as "becoming a fit, supple leotard" and now I can't quit giggling.

Tuyop, when it comes to things you enjoy doing, like travel, there's no objectively defined "enough". You can travel all you want to, for the rest of your life - within your means. Right now, that means biking to the farmer's market. Once you get your car situation cleared up, via your inheritance or disability or whatever, you might be able to afford to take weekend trips a couple of times a year (couple = 1-2, not 14). Pay off the credit cards, start putting some away into savings and so on, and you can take better trips. Think of it in food terms. You've eaten lots of desserts (spending recklessly), and now you are going to feel like crap (broke) until you develop some healthier habits (controlling spending, paying off debt). Changing spending habits can be a lot like detoxing from a bad diet or any other addiction. You are used to this external thing that makes you feel better. The first few days/weeks/months are the toughest, but it does get easier. If you hate your job & feeling stuck now, imagine how much worse it'll be in 20 years, when your options get more & more limited.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

Didn't I read a while back you were supposed to have your appointment with the doctor disability guy on the 24th?

Yup, diagnosis of "thoracic degenerative disk disease" confirmed. He has no idea how much I'll be getting. My file will now go to Charlottetown and then they'll get back to me in 3-18 months.

I'm going to straight up assault the next person who tells me to wait ??? to 18 months for something. My life has been happening "in about 18 months" for like five loving years.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Welcome to government bureaucracy.

They will probably wait it out for you to die.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

You're right. To get me there though, I think I have to figure out what "enough" is. When have I traveled enough? What does that even mean? When have I helped enough, created enough, contributed enough? What is enough right now?

Unfortunately, you didn't stop yourself back when you had a chance to think about this before you bought your car. You've made some bad decisions and it's going to take a little while to get those cleared out. The only thing you can do now is to own those mistakes and learn from them. You're still very young, you've got a lot of life to live.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

quaint bucket posted:

Welcome to government bureaucracy.

They will probably wait it out for you to die.
Given tuyop's history, they may be making a good bet here.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Wolfy posted:

Given tuyop's history, they may be making a good bet here.

Well, he could threaten to sit on their cars or something.

But, more seriously, and while I can't say one way or another how the whole political bureaucratic bullshit mess in Canada works, I can say that in the US, it's entirely true that the squeaky wheel (or, rather, the obnoxious jackass who won't gently caress off) gets faster service.

Perhaps instead of passively waiting 3-18 months, you schedule a weekly call to whomever is in charge of your stuff and politely but routinely bother them? At some point they'll get your poo poo done just to be rid of you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

Well, he could threaten to sit on their cars or something.

But, more seriously, and while I can't say one way or another how the whole political bureaucratic bullshit mess in Canada works, I can say that in the US, it's entirely true that the squeaky wheel (or, rather, the obnoxious jackass who won't gently caress off) gets faster service.

Perhaps instead of passively waiting 3-18 months, you schedule a weekly call to whomever is in charge of your stuff and politely but routinely bother them? At some point they'll get your poo poo done just to be rid of you.

Good idea, and it's kind of how I got out of Gagetown in the fist place. I'm starting to figure out how this bureaucracy thing works!

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

tuyop posted:

My life has been happening "in about 18 months" for like five loving years.
Militarylife.txt

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
August-October M-M-M-MegaUpdate

Graph update, worse looking graphs were an excel error :)

This is going to be a weird update, because toeshoes and I just started doing our finances together. I'm not really sure what the implications are yet, but basically we're talking a significant increase in debt AND income without a proportional increase in expenses.

Except that girl can EAT. She's 5'2 and eats like sixteen times a day. I don't get it.

Not including toeshoes' debts (but including her savings).

Including those debts.

Updated, accurate graph

Whew, we're still below 50k.

It's been a rough few months. October is bad, but it's like 2700 dollars less bad than it appears because we haven't gotten paid yet. That net income line will be back up in the green in November.

I don't think there's any point in breaking down the expenses. My car ate all my money. Our grocery and furniture budgets are loving crazy for October because we had to buy a bed and pay a security deposit, and we've been eating better than normal.

But... Just for kicks:

Yes, you're reading correctly. Since June I've spent Eighteen Thousand Dollars. :suicide:

If I dig down, a lot of those categories were incorrect ("travel" is including a flight for an emergency that toeshoes took that the military reimbursed through a travel allowance, and some of my accommodations in September), but that doesn't really matter.

Anyway, yeah, so goes life I guess. Expect our metafinancial musings as toeshoes makes her way through YMOYL (Your Money or Your Life) and we start implementing the steps.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 31, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Combined finances were always going to result in an uptick of debt so that's a special event. I would like to see the total debt resume the downward trend, including Toeshoes debt. Could we get a break down of Toeshoes debts, associated interest rates and minimum payments to get a better picture?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It's so easy to poo poo on tuyop for the one-off events but that graph doesn't lie: debt is getting paid. Keep truckin' man! You and toeshoes can do it!

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
So this is what my financials look like:

VISA
Limit $1000.00
Interest 19.99%
Balance $858.00
Min $17.00

MasterCard
Limit $2500.00
Interest 12.9%
Balance $2099.00
Min $41.00

I make $2468.00 net each month.

And I have a few bills like cell, rent and so on. But I don't think that's what you are asking.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What I'm targeting is if you are carrying a balance on the cards each month and therefore paying interest. If you are carrying a balance on those cards they need to be paid off as they have a high interest rate. The same goes for tuyop's visa where there is cash available.

On the assumption that you are carrying a balance on those cards:

The visa needs to be paid off first as that has the highest interest rate. The monthly cost of holding the balance is about $14.29.
The mastercard goes next. The monthly cost of holding the current balance is $22.56.

Basically the interest above is easy revenue for the bank, and money that could be in your pocket or going towards an emergency fund or paying off other debts. Where this is all going is to get both of you out of debt (so you have zero net worth at that point) then onto having a positive net worth. My advice tends to be about targeting debt. An emergency fund is still needed and the issue of the car loan being more than the value of the car needs to be addressed.

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007
Keep up the good work tuyop.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

foundtomorrow posted:

Keep up the good work tuyop.

Thanks guys, I feel like it's not going fast enough, but there's only so much blood that I can get from this stone.

I updated the post, because toeshoes noticed that the chart was counting our savings as debt. I like this one a lot better.

Also, If we sell the car and keep very frugal, our repayment schedule looks like we'll be debt free in a little over 12 months. I'm not sure though, and there's really too many confounding variables to say.

On the one hand, nothing has caught on fire yet so I'm sure that's coming soon! On the other, we have lots of some money coming in from benefits just around the corner. I think 12 months is a good, conservative estimate.

It's also right in line with me losing 30% of my income while on vocational rehab and going back to school. So that'll be fun and challenging.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 31, 2012

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

Thanks guys, I feel like it's not going fast enough, but there's only so much blood that I can get from this stone.

You have been unseated by a new challenger!

Seriously though: keep up the good work, mate. I know it feels like it's not going fast enough but you'll get there! :cheers:

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Tuyop, can you tell us more about your phone plan and internet plan? Are you on a traditional plan or a tab plan? Because $70 a month is pretty high for phone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saeku posted:

Tuyop, can you tell us more about your phone plan and internet plan? Are you on a traditional plan or a tab plan? Because $70 a month is pretty high for phone.

Welcome to Canada.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Saeku posted:

I got the student plan, $70 gets you 200 daytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited texts, 10 anytime anywhere in Canada numbers, voice mail with three (THREE!) messages and 6GB of data.

That's before taxes, 911, network access fee, caller ID and the like. tuyop probably gets a lot less than that if he's including that poo poo.

Canada really loving sucks as far as telecoms go.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

I got the student plan, $70 gets you 200 daytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited texts, 10 anytime anywhere in Canada numbers, voice mail with three (THREE!) messages and 6GB of data.

That's before taxes, 911, network access fee, caller ID and the like. tuyop probably gets a lot less than that if he's including that poo poo.

Canada really loving sucks as far as telecoms go.

Yeah that's what I get. Scratch the 10 number thing and I get more than 3 voicemails (!!!). But we have very similar plans. Mine comes to about 72 with taxes. Add more or less long distance for quick one minute phone calls and that's it. I shopped the poo poo out of my plan.

Internet wise, we have unlimited 6mbps down DSL from a local ISP. One of two options for my weird location. ($54)

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

HookShot posted:

Welcome to Canada.

I live in Ontario and I pay $33/mo for phone, voicemail, and light data. I was looking to see if he could switch to Wind or Koodo feasibly and go without a major data plan because being on Rogers is a a lubeless anal gently caress.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saeku posted:

I live in Ontario and I pay $33/mo for phone, voicemail, and light data. I was looking to see if he could switch to Wind or Koodo feasibly and go without a major data plan because being on Rogers is a a lubeless anal gently caress.

I don't remember the details, but Tuyop uses his phone a LOT, including the data. Enough to probably actually justify $70, which is why people mostly dropped that idea.

Plus now that he lives in the middle of nowhere, it's probably safer to stay with Telus that he knows gets reception than move to two carriers that are known for having reception issues in some areas.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I believe he also uses the phone as a part of his other job so changing the phone might cut into his income.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

HookShot posted:

I don't remember the details, but Tuyop uses his phone a LOT, including the data. Enough to probably actually justify $70, which is why people mostly dropped that idea.

Plus now that he lives in the middle of nowhere, it's probably safer to stay with Telus that he knows gets reception than move to two carriers that are known for having reception issues in some areas.

Well, Koodo runs on the same network as Telus, I think. The fact that he mentioned feeling bad about it made me think it might be a reasonable piece of fat to cut but if it's necessary for the second job, yeah, I guess that wouldn't be feasible.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I managed to squeeze an unlimited anytime deal out of Telus, with 10 voice, 1GB of date, caller ID and unlimited texting for $73 pre tax, but had to pay (well my boss paid) a few huge bills before they'd offer it to me.

It's still stupid expensive to have a cell in Canada, but I was hitting close to 3k mins/month and I think they felt sorry for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Saeku posted:

Well, Koodo runs on the same network as Telus, I think. The fact that he mentioned feeling bad about it made me think it might be a reasonable piece of fat to cut but if it's necessary for the second job, yeah, I guess that wouldn't be feasible.

It's not really necessary. I can figure out other ways to do it, and the second job has been going nowhere because my schedule is so random. I also spend a lot of time moping. It's a mess.

I keep deleting and rewriting my erotic fiction because I hate it, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Does three voicemails mean three inboxes or something, or literally three saved messages? :psyduck: As far as I can tell my phone downloads and stores voicemail locally, so there's no real imposed storage limit.

• Locked thread