Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

HalloKitty posted:

8350 is OK to a certain degree, it seems, but is still ridiculous in terms of power consumption, and has almost no overclocking headroom on air unlike the Intel gear.
How did you end up with a Bulldozer in the first place?

8350 is Piledriver, and to say the bulldozer didn't have any OC potential on air is complete bull. 5GHz (well 4.97) on air using a Zalman CNPS 9900 and Artic MX-4 on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX. Idle is 29c load is 56c with an 8120 bulldozer - all 8 cores still enabled.

It has a lot of headroom, mine had a 3.2ghz base clock for example. For what I payed for the board and processor I definitely got my monies worth (245$ on sale), and would not have done it any other way.

How did you end up with no clue about what you are talking about in the first place?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Foil posted:

8350 is Piledriver, and to say the bulldozer didn't have any OC potential on air is complete bull. 5GHz (well 4.97) on air using a Zalman CNPS 9900 and Artic MX-4 on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX. Idle is 29c load is 56c with an 8120 bulldozer - all 8 cores still enabled.

It has a lot of headroom, mine had a 3.2ghz base clock for example. For what I payed for the board and processor I definitely got my monies worth (245$ on sale), and would not have done it any other way.

How did you end up with no clue about what you are talking about in the first place?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/8

I'm confused - I never said it had no OC potential (after all, the highest current OC record is on Bulldozer with liquid nitrogen), and I wasn't commenting on oc'ing the 8120.
I was just going by review numbers for Piledriver - and those load numbers look pretty brutal still, which is meaningful when using the machine for constant loads such as those with video encoding.
I didn't even say Piledriver was bad - it has potential in certain loads, and AMD is headed in the right direction.
It would certainly be a good drop-in replacement for an older Bulldozer chip.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 27, 2012

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

8350 is OK to a certain degree, it seems, but is still ridiculous in terms of power consumption, and has almost no overclocking headroom on air unlike the Intel gear.
How did you end up with a Bulldozer in the first place?

I had a decent Gateway desktop with an i7 860, but I somehow fried the motherboard when I tried charging my bluetooth speaker phone in the USB port. I had just replaced the harddrive and Power Supply, so I found a cheap desktop with the FX 6100 and bought it without really looking into it that much.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Mill Village posted:

I had a decent Gateway desktop with an i7 860, but I somehow fried the motherboard when I tried charging my bluetooth speaker phone in the USB port. I had just replaced the harddrive and Power Supply, so I found a cheap desktop with the FX 6100 and bought it without really looking into it that much.

Ah fair enough, I've seen some good deals on AMD based systems recently. In which case as long as the PSU handles it, the 8350 would provide a good upgrade path. It does seem to do especially well in video encoding as per the AnandTech review.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 27, 2012

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Foil posted:

A living, breathing AMD fanboy? Didn't y'all go extinct around '09?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

A living, breathing AMD fanboy? Didn't y'all go extinct around '09?
When we did our recent VMware refresh, we nearly went with bulldozer. We had a single application that had terrible performance on the AMD proc though, and given it's importance we spent the extra and went with Intel. With bulldozer the aggregate performance in our testing exceeded what we are getting with the E5s we bought, for about 20% less for the whole platform.

You don't have to be a fanboy to find places where the product works well, in this case, the highly multithreaded world of VMware.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

adorai posted:

When we did our recent VMware refresh, we nearly went with bulldozer. We had a single application that had terrible performance on the AMD proc though, and given it's importance we spent the extra and went with Intel. With bulldozer the aggregate performance in our testing exceeded what we are getting with the E5s we bought, for about 20% less for the whole platform.

You don't have to be a fanboy to find places where the product works well, in this case, the highly multithreaded world of VMware.

Analysing specific use cases ≠ being a fanboy

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Debating if I should jump onto the FX-8320
I currently have a T1055 @ 3.2, seeing how the FX-8320 is 20 off and I am doing quite a bit of heavy vmware work, it might be a nice upgrade 2 more cores and a bit more L2/L3 cache. I am tossing this up against just getting some Xeon E5-2620, I am sure the E5 wins however it is much more expensive.

Does look like a nice improvement...
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/698?vs=147

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AMD expected to unveil ARM-based server on Monday. (via SeaMicro)

Will definitely be watching this closely, I've been watching ARM server news pretty closely and there have been a long line of CEO's (EMC the biggest one) saying they'll never get market penetration. I'm incredibly curious to see benchmarks and the price point it comes in at.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Re: above, AMD moving ARM-based server CPUs to production by 2014, with some details on planned market segmentation and a bit of high-level backbone design.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'm gonna stick this here because there isn't really a better place right now:

AnandTech got a reporter in to cover the upgrade of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory's Jaguar supercomputer (18,688 12-core Opterons) into the Titan (18,688 16-core Opterons plus 18,688 Nvidia Tesla K20 coprocessors).

The Jaguar --> Titan upgrade actually provides this 33% x86 core increase and roughly 50 million FP32 units within the same power budget, which is good because that budget is already as large as practicable at 9 megawatts. The RAM has also been upgraded, at 32 GB DDR3 and 6 GB of GDDR5 per node for a total of 710 TB of RAM.

Cray provided the hardware, but they didn't act as a full integrator, so the ORNL's poor saps had to install 18,688 CPUs and 18,688 GPUs by hand:

Read the article; it's super awesome and only gets better.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

But isn't that from 12 cores to 8 bulldozer modules? not even clocked very high - I can't imagine single thread performance budged at all. The real upgrade is the huge amount of GPUs. Sad AMD couldn't get in on that action, since GCN is powerful in compute.

Wonder what they do with all those old 12 core opterons? Would still make a hell of a datacentre!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

HalloKitty posted:

But isn't that from 12 cores to 8 bulldozer modules? not even clocked very high - I can't imagine single thread performance budged at all. The real upgrade is the huge amount of GPUs. Sad AMD couldn't get in on that action, since GCN is powerful in compute.

Wonder what they do with all those old 12 core opterons? Would still make a hell of a datacentre!

Cray has a deal set up to take care of the old hardware.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

HalloKitty posted:

Supercomputers give absolutely no fucks about single-threaded performance*. And, by all accounts, Bulldozer-based designs can perform well under certain circumstances. For you and me, that doesn't matter all that much; we're not going to be rewriting off-the-shelf software packages to target our hardware. For a giant supercomputer in a lab where even the janitors probably have comp sci doctorates, that equation shifts somewhat.

*well, ok, it's not quite that clear cut. Per-core and per-thread performance is always nice. But, raw parallel power is the main goal.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The article addresses CPU choice a bit: that's just what the original Jaguar system used, since they were the better choice at its inception in 2005, and the Cray XK line has kept AMD offerings since.

Nvidia K20s are used instead of Southern Islands for roughly the same reason: the decision to use GPGPU acceleration was made three years ago, and only Nvidia had real GPGPU chops and roadmaps at the time, so that's who Cray contracted with.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tom's ran some tests to see if Windows 8 ran any better on Piledriver than Windows 7:

:smith:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

HalloKitty posted:

But isn't that from 12 cores to 8 bulldozer modules? not even clocked very high - I can't imagine single thread performance budged at all.

When you've got a cluster of 299,008 cores, if you ever care about the performance of a single thread, you're doing it wrong.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zhentar posted:

When you've got a cluster of 299,008 cores, if you ever care about the performance of a single thread, you're doing it wrong.

Oh I realise the single-threaded performance isn't the focus, but rather I'm wondering what the overall effect of that CPU upgrade is.

Edit: Top 500 has the newest configuration, it seems: http://i.top500.org/system/176544
But the previously submitted configuration used 2.6GHz 6-cores. Looks like this beast has had plenty of upgrades.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 31, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If anyone is wondering why the Top500 CPU core count differs from what we've been talking about here, some of the CPUs are dedicated solely to OS and hardware interrupts, so that those interrupts aren't constantly cascading out and hiccuping the entire machine.

E: The ranks above the Oak Ridge computers are, in order:

5) 186k Westmere Xeon cores @ 2.93 GHz with Fermi Tesla, 22% less power.
4) 146k Sandy Bridge Xeon cores @ 2.7 GHz with 8.2k Westmere cores, no GPGPU, 33% less power
3 through 1) IBM Power and SPARC with ridiculous core count per watt

It looks like the Linpack and power rankings only count main cores, not coprocessors like the Tesla gear.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 31, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

If anyone is wondering why the Top500 CPU core count differs from what we've been talking about here, some of the CPUs are dedicated solely to OS and hardware interrupts, so that those interrupts aren't constantly cascading out and hiccuping the entire machine.

Yeah, that's super critical for HPC and real-time applications. We apply a similar kernel patch to our machines that keep the OS on 1-2 cores, and leave the rest open for scheduling / usage by the real-time co-kernel. Nothing like trashing your realtime performance because some OS task with good intentions pops up for attention.

I haven't fully understood the voodoo that goes to make that happen, but I'm sure that voodoo + no real SW department is why we backport poo poo to Linux 2.6.24 :(

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

movax posted:

Yeah, that's super critical for HPC and real-time applications. We apply a similar kernel patch to our machines that keep the OS on 1-2 cores, and leave the rest open for scheduling / usage by the real-time co-kernel. Nothing like trashing your realtime performance because some OS task with good intentions pops up for attention.

I have no sense of scale of the CPU load for thread scheduling or anything is for massive systems like this; could you compare it to a more typical desktop load?

Also, congrats on your new mod status.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We've come a long way from supercomputers that used a scant 9,000 Intel Pentium Pros

edit: Maybe, maybe not - sure, the cores have gone way up but there's still only double the amount of CPU's

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 31, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

I have no sense of scale of the CPU load for thread scheduling or anything is for massive systems like this; could you compare it to a more typical desktop load?

Also, congrats on your new mod status.

Thanks! Ours is actually somewhat close to a desktop load; a single one of our boards generally has a quad-core Opteron on it (can be expanded if needed though). We foist Linux kernel + various system tasks onto Core 0 and leave the other cores free for a real-time co-kernel like Xenomai which is designed for real-time use. Real-time OSes have very strong concepts of task priority, which is important when you need your tasks to run in a deterministic manner. I.E., I want to make sure my high-priority Task A gets all the attention he deserves, but slightly-lower priority tasks B and C are welcome to CPU time if A doesn't need it.

Remember that even on our awesome dual-core/quad-core CPUs, your OS is still busy furiously switching between all the myriad tasks making sure they keep doing their thing. Windows/OS X/Linux (stock) aren't real-time and don't give two fucks about guaranteeing latency/timing for a task. On said real-time system I might have a FTP daemon, and the regular Linux housekeeping tasks running. These aren't performance critical, but I don't want vsftpd (FTP server) stealing cycles at a bad time, so I try to isolate all that to core 0, leaving 1-3 open for work.

So long story short, you shove (the best you can) all that poo poo onto some number of cores, and leave the rest open for usage/scheduling by something a team of CS geniuses wrote.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

movax posted:

Is a moderator now!

This has been a good year for new blue stars.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Factory Factory posted:

The article addresses CPU choice a bit: that's just what the original Jaguar system used, since they were the better choice at its inception in 2005, and the Cray XK line has kept AMD offerings since.

Nvidia K20s are used instead of Southern Islands for roughly the same reason: the decision to use GPGPU acceleration was made three years ago, and only Nvidia had real GPGPU chops and roadmaps at the time, so that's who Cray contracted with.
CPU: 100% incorrect (or at least misses the point entirely, yet the article doesn't talk about it at all either, so I can't get too grumpy about it). Cray cannot use non-AMD parts until their next generation interconnect (Aries, which was recently purchased by Intel) comes online because Gemini, their current proprietary interconnect, is connected to the machine via HyperTransport, not PCIe. Considering the interconnect is Cray's primary value-add as a system builder, they're stuck on AMD for now.

GPU: AMD never had the software strategy to actually go after this market. It's a lot harder than "build a driver, call it a day," (support for third party debuggers and profilers, out-of-band monitoring, dealing nicely with exotic interconnects, etc--lots of stuff that never shows up at all in the non-HPC side of things) and they simply never staffed OpenCL/compute up enough to ever show up in these bids. Xeon Phi is the first real competing accelerator that NV has had in the HPC space.

Professor Science fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 1, 2012

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it needs to be stressed that the primary reason for going AMD years ago was because of Hypertransport beating the pants off Intel's interconnect since that's such a big factor in large-scale HPC workloads (the joke is that supercomputers turn cpu-bound tasks into I/O bound ones)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

At the time it was easier to implement your own HT devices as well; the University of Mannheim developed a workable HT IP core that you could implement on FPGAs with the appropriate transceivers. You enjoy some pretty low latency when your I/O enjoys a HT link to an Opteron. Intel was rather quiet about QPI at the time, I think.

It's unfortunate that even right now, AMD is still selling three-chip solutions in the server market :(

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

necrobobsledder posted:

Yeah, it needs to be stressed that the primary reason for going AMD years ago was because of Hypertransport beating the pants off Intel's interconnect since that's such a big factor in large-scale HPC workloads (the joke is that supercomputers turn cpu-bound tasks into I/O bound ones)
no no, this isn't a QPI or FSB versus HT performance/multi-socket thing (although I'm sure that didn't hurt at the time)--Gemini is actually a device that hangs off the HyperTransport bus. besides the occasional Torrenza FPGA, Gemini is the only device I know of on HT like this.

the only equivalent device that I know of that sits on QPI is the interconnect on the SGI UV machines.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Professor Science posted:

no no, this isn't a QPI or FSB versus HT performance/multi-socket thing (although I'm sure that didn't hurt at the time)--Gemini is actually a device that hangs off the HyperTransport bus. besides the occasional Torrenza FPGA, Gemini is the only device I know of on HT like this.
Yeah, you're right but I wasn't even considering Gemini (heck, didn't know what it was until now). I didn't quite explain with the terse comment admittedly, but before the consideration of performance the architecture and direction of HT was better aligned (not to mention mature and not just paper unlike QPI / CSI or its previous names back in 2003). Prior to 2006, the only low-cost buses with a future and solid performance eliminated PCI and PCI-X, and PCI-E wasn't around either. SRC in their own COTS HPC FPGA-ing efforts had already built their own bus and switching fabric basically (ouch it was expensive) and I proved the mediocre results for it all even with seriously savage optimizations by a Verilog / VHDL guy (me at the time), and Cray went with AMD, possibly involved in making Hypertransport in the first place. The ability to scale easier (you could just add more lanes with HT for near-linear costs) added a lot more value to going HT as well.

Me and my friend Bob (he was working on the GPGPU side of the house) in 2003 were looking for a high-performance bus to solve both our I/O problems on COTS HPC efforts and wound up with Hypertransport being literally the only thing that could suffice for anything that could call itself COTS HPC (although he was quite peeved given there was no HT-based video card available). I thought that the FPGA nodes wouldn't have made it in after the disappointing results I showed but apparently someone thought it was worth it, hrm.

Unfortunately, it's highly doubtful that going forward AMD will see any more of that sweet, sweet DoD / DoE HPC money because Intel's going all-out for Aries apparently and owns Infiniband tech outright. QPI is being skipped entirely for Infiniband it seems. More bad AMD news in the AMD thread? Par for the course.

unpronounceable posted:

Beyond what was said earlier, big clusters need entire nodes dedicated to monitoring and making sure things are in order (reliability and serviceability meaning "is it up, and can we figure a way around it if we can't?" as opposed to just availability which means "is it up? mkay!") and the less overhead of that you require to guarantee availability the more for :rice:. Sort of like how Google's clusters encounter constant hardware failures at all times, this sort of commercial cluster has similar problems to deal with. Think of it like ECC for entire machines.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
On another topic: Aren't all the new next-generations consoles using AMD platform chipsets? I wouldn't count them on going out of business anytime soon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Job Truniht posted:

On another topic: Aren't all the new next-generations consoles using AMD platform chipsets? I wouldn't count them on going out of business anytime soon.

There has been no consistent proof of this. There's been stuff released of next-xbox devkits that had nvidia and intel chips instead.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AMD's not going any lower right? I'm safe to go long on them now? :haw:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
As far as I am aware, we have confirmation that all three next-gen consoles use AMD graphics, but the CPU portion is still up in the air.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'd bet you that AMD management is grooming the company for sale. I'd be surprised if they aren't acquired/merged in the next 2 years.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

AMD's not going any lower right? I'm safe to go long on them now? :haw:

I remember when their stock first fell to $7, tons of pretend stock market gurus on hardware boards were telling everyone to buy it up because that was a bargain price and had no where to go but up :allears:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://allthingsd.com/20121113/amd-exploring-options-including-breakup-sale/

quote:

Shares of the chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices are up by more than 14 percent on a report by Reuters saying that the company has hired J.P. Morgan to “explore options” that could include a disposition of its patents or an outright sale.

Well things seem to keep getting better for AMD. I'm assuming they are looking to sell off some of their assets. Wonder how much longer they can keep going at this rate

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 15, 2012

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

I'd bet you that AMD management is grooming the company for sale. I'd be surprised if they aren't acquired/merged in the next 2 years.

I can't think of anyone who would want them at this point, unless the x86 license was part of the deal. I sort of have to assume it is not, because their market cap is only $1.3B with $2B in debt.

(also, their long term debt has gone from $1.5B to $2B last quarter, which is the exact opposite of what companies looking to be bought out usually do)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 15, 2012

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chuu posted:

I can't think of anyone who would want them at this point, unless the x86 license was part of the deal. I sort of have to assume it is not, because their market cap is only $1.3B with $2B in debt.

(also, their long term debt has gone from $1.5B to $2B last quarter, which is the exact opposite of what companies looking to be bought out usually do)

Apple has been developing their own chips for a while now (for mobile devices anyways), and were even rumored to have had an AMD MacBook Air prototype in the works a while back. Would they benefit anything from purchasing AMD?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If AMD still had fabs, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Edit: I can't read.

• Locked thread