Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

RichieHimself posted:

You automatically get a free one time drop of up to 6 credits without any penalties. I withdrew from a spanish class a few weeks into last semester and then got a letter in the mail about not having to pay anything back due to the free drop. I think that still applies even if it's an F and I don't believe it will mess up your pell grant but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for responding. i am aware of that but I dropped 12 credits. My VA rep said since the reason was employment, I should still be good since it is my first time. I just wanted a more definitive answer.

And I didn't get a pell grant so I'm good on that. Just wondering about bah and my kicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I don't spend enough time studying for trigonometry. I need to drop the class. I'm at 17 credit hours, and full time here is 12 credit hours. Will I have to repay anything for a Withdrawal? What if the professor is a dick about it(he is) and gives me a failing grade upon me dropping the class? How will this affect my Pell Grant from this semester and the next?

I've had a few bad weeks these last three or four weeks. I purposely bombed a chem test because I decided not to study. If I don't miss any points after this I'll get an A in chemistry. All my other classes I'm doing great in because the course work is easier to understand therefore do.

Withdrawal in your case will be fine - so long as the billable hours remain the same it shouldn't be a problem. Professors can't give you a failing grade if you withdraw - you get a W on your transcript and that's it. Unless you drop super late, at which point you get either a WP (withdraw-passing) or WF (withdraw-failing) which simply indicates your current status at the time of withdrawal on your transcript. So long as you remain full time status, your pell grant will be unaffected.

Jesus H Nyce posted:

I recently withdrew from all my classes for a job opportunity that I previously mentioned in the thread. It was my first time dropping classes using GI bill benefits and had a question regarding payment.

I officially withdrew on Oct 19th, yet I still got a payment this morning for the entire month of October to include my Army College Fund kicker. My question is, will I have to return this payment or do I get to keep it since I technically still used those benefits even though I withdrew?

I'm going to assume they will want it all back, but I figured I would ask.

Withdrawal for reason (which you have) is excused. So you would have to pay back the BAH/kicker from the date of withdrawal to the date of payment: withdrawal on the 28th of October, for example, would make you pay back 4 days - 28/29/30/31. Otherwise you're fine.

RichieHimself posted:

I think that still applies even if it's an F and I don't believe it will mess up your pell grant but don't quote me on that.

Correct, getting an F will not change anything regarding your benefits - VA or pell. What they will not pay for is no credit, such as a W,WP,WF,I,R,N or Z. An F is still credit, even if it's bad credit.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
You might have to pay back the book stipend money. I dropped one course this semester and they're asking for $150 in return.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Withdrawal in your case will be fine - so long as the billable hours remain the same it shouldn't be a problem. Professors can't give you a failing grade if you withdraw - you get a W on your transcript and that's it. Unless you drop super late, at which point you get either a WP (withdraw-passing) or WF (withdraw-failing) which simply indicates your current status at the time of withdrawal on your transcript. So long as you remain full time status, your pell grant will be unaffected.

Thanks Vasadus.

I just spoke with the VA office on campus, and they said the same thing. I've been worried all day that I'm going to owe a lot, but I guess the possible amount I'd pay back is relatively small.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
Vasodus,

Do you know any experience with public health service officers being covered by the GI Bill? It's supposed to be a benefit for PHS officers, but I'm having a hard time finding anybody who's actually applied for it (in my Google searches). Most of the discussion seems to be "finally we have this benefit" sort of discussion from lifers. I'll have around 130 days of active duty under my belt after this summer, which should make me eligible for 40% reimbursement of tuition. I'm currently in pharmacy school where tuition is around $15k/semester. Would the 40% coverage be (0.4*15,000=) $6,000 a semester, or will I be restricted to the annual limit of (0.4*17500=) $7000?

If it's the latter, not sure if it'd be worth it--I anticipate working with the PHS after I graduate, but they have student loan repayment ($20k/yr, with a 2 year contract extension per year of loans paid). I'm torn between (A) these benefits being flushed down the toilet by the time I would have a kid to use it or (B) using it now to have less loans so I'm not forced to go to a super lovely duty station that can only recruit employees by paying back their student loans.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MaakHatt posted:

Vasodus,

Do you know any experience with public health service officers being covered by the GI Bill? It's supposed to be a benefit for PHS officers, but I'm having a hard time finding anybody who's actually applied for it (in my Google searches). Most of the discussion seems to be "finally we have this benefit" sort of discussion from lifers. I'll have around 130 days of active duty under my belt after this summer, which should make me eligible for 40% reimbursement of tuition. I'm currently in pharmacy school where tuition is around $15k/semester. Would the 40% coverage be (0.4*15,000=) $6,000 a semester, or will I be restricted to the annual limit of (0.4*17500=) $7000?

If it's the latter, not sure if it'd be worth it--I anticipate working with the PHS after I graduate, but they have student loan repayment ($20k/yr, with a 2 year contract extension per year of loans paid). I'm torn between (A) these benefits being flushed down the toilet by the time I would have a kid to use it or (B) using it now to have less loans so I'm not forced to go to a super lovely duty station that can only recruit employees by paying back their student loans.

It would be .40*18,300 = $7,320/year, or $3,660 a semester. When you say 130 days of AD time, is that AD for the purposes of training? Because that time doesn't count when being calculated into things.

You need 10 years of AD time to pass the benefits along, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006

Vasudus posted:

It would be .40*18,300 = $7,320/year, or $3,660 a semester. When you say 130 days of AD time, is that AD for the purposes of training? Because that time doesn't count when being calculated into things.

You need 10 years of AD time to pass the benefits along, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Thanks for the clarification. That's still a pretty significant contribution to tuition.

As far as I know my active duty time wasn't considered training. I was an O-1, a rank in the PHS reserved for JrCOSTEPs(a participant in the "Junior Commissioned Officer Student Extern Program," i.e. an intern). Where I am a bit confused about the training designation is that all "real" jobs with the PHS start at O-2 or higher. For what it's worth, I did receive TRICARE rural, a uniform allowance, a DoD ID card, and accrued paid vacation. So, as far as I'm aware the rank of O-1 should not exclude me from any benefits that higher ranks would be eligible for--including GI bill benefits.

According to this USPHS Q&A it looks like the only requirement is 90 days of active duty service for any officer of the USPHS, and according to this summary of O-1/JrCOSTEP officer benefits an O-1 is eligible to receive the same benefits that are afforded to any other uniformed service member.

A JrCOSTEP placement does have a maximum of 84 days/12 weeks (I did my first one when there was a freeze on Federal funding for the PHS, or something, and didn't receive my commission until a month into my internship). This very well could be a systematic way of preventing interns such as myself from receiving GI bill benefits. I think I would be in a unique position to do so, as I interned with them during my undergrad, changed career paths, and am now in a professional program with 3 more years of school to go after this one. It is very uncommon (but possible) for an individual to do two JrCOSTEPs. It's most likely to happen if (A) you have another year of school left and (B) you have a good review from your previous duty station. With the exception of health professions, most JrCOSTEPs are accepted the summer between their junior and senior year of college. That being said, most people who DO two JrCOSTEPS likely obtain their degree the year immediately after their 2nd tour, and probably wouldn't enroll for GI bill benefits.

Vasudus posted:

Yeah see PHS or anything direct commission is an area that I have literally no experience in, one of the few spots where I just throw up my arms and shrug. If it's not for training, it should count just fine.
Yeah.. like I said, I can't even find active PHS officers talking about using this benefit. It doesn't seem like PHS officers can transfer the GI Bill benefits to a family member, and most of the 7,000 or so officers in the PHS already have a BS/MS/PHD/MD, and are unlikely to use their GI Bill benefits since they already have a degree anyway...

Thanks for your time, though. If I get a JrCOSTEP placement this summer I'll have to make a blog on how to receive these benefits. Most of the folks I worked with were pretty naive about their benefits (such as free eyeglasses through the navy ophthalmic institute), which strikes me as odd since your salary is less than the private sector and the benefits are what make up for that difference.

MaineMan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 2, 2012

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah see PHS or anything direct commission is an area that I have literally no experience in, one of the few spots where I just throw up my arms and shrug. If it's not for training, it should count just fine.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I'm currently taking a course as a NDS (non-degree seeking) student. I applied for pell grant and when I spoke with the financial aid officer was told they do not offer NDS students financial aid for NDS students.

I looked up what this means, I hope to put my application for the school in the spring so I can matriculate to the program.

What are my options?

http://ifap.ed.gov/fsahandbook/attachments/1213FSAHbkVol1Ch1.pdf

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

I'm currently taking a course as a NDS (non-degree seeking) student. I applied for pell grant and when I spoke with the financial aid officer was told they do not offer NDS students financial aid for NDS students.

I looked up what this means, I hope to put my application for the school in the spring so I can matriculate to the program.

What are my options?

You should talk to your registrar about getting retroactively matriculated. They might play ball, they might not.

Good news if you're planning on taking summer classes though; you can get some of that unused pell money that would have gone to you in the fall and have it for summer.

Example: split might have been 2500/2500/500 for fall/spring/summer, with a maximum of 5500. Now it might be 0/2500/2500 depending on summer load, "wasting" only 500 dollars.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

You should talk to your registrar about getting retroactively matriculated. They might play ball, they might not.

Good news if you're planning on taking summer classes though; you can get some of that unused pell money that would have gone to you in the fall and have it for summer.

Example: split might have been 2500/2500/500 for fall/spring/summer, with a maximum of 5500. Now it might be 0/2500/2500 depending on summer load, "wasting" only 500 dollars.

Matriculation isn't an option. Before I matriculate I need to finish the course with an A-, transfer this credit to my community college, finish one last government course (earning the A.S) then apply for matriculation.

My adviser and whatever registration person has told me that without this my application is pretty much not going to get accepted into the program I want. I could try and retro matriculate in a secondary program and then transfer into the department I want to.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

Matriculation isn't an option. Before I matriculate I need to finish the course with an A-, transfer this credit to my community college, finish one last government course (earning the A.S) then apply for matriculation.

My adviser and whatever registration person has told me that without this my application is pretty much not going to get accepted into the program I want. I could try and retro matriculate in a secondary program and then transfer into the department I want to.

That's some hosed up degree progression, but doable.

Zack de la Rochelle
Oct 21, 2008
Originally planned on bumming around in college for a few years when i got out; but as it turns out, those couple years i spent drinking and failing classes like a shitstain before i joined the Navy still matter, and no colleges would accept me.

On the bright side, I decided to just say gently caress it and try to get the job I wanted anyway. Applying for a State Trooper position in Texas, down to the final board interview soon, just finishing up my back-round investigation. :toot:

Not getting accepted made me kind of realize that it would have been a waste of time anyways. I can get the job I wanted without a degree, so why wait is what i'm saying.

Also, take your classwork seriously, I wish I had

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

That's some hosed up degree progression, but doable.

Yeah, if I get a B/B+ I have to take another 3 credit hour course and get a B/B+ on it in the spring (while deployed). Currently averaging 98.7 but... my midterm was submitted 5 weeks ago and still no grade.

This is all because I hosed around while in college last and my GPA got too low. took courses as NDS at the school I wanted to go to, but GPA dropped a bit low. Was told to improve that degree and finish my A.S. to show that I am a changed man.

Submitted my application tonight while stating I have two courses that I hope to take before spring 2013.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Bull Fireman posted:

Originally planned on bumming around in college for a few years when i got out; but as it turns out, those couple years i spent drinking and failing classes like a shitstain before i joined the Navy still matter, and no colleges would accept me.

On the bright side, I decided to just say gently caress it and try to get the job I wanted anyway. Applying for a State Trooper position in Texas, down to the final board interview soon, just finishing up my back-round investigation. :toot:

Not getting accepted made me kind of realize that it would have been a waste of time anyways. I can get the job I wanted without a degree, so why wait is what i'm saying.

Also, take your classwork seriously, I wish I had

Many schools offer a fresh start program for people in your exact situation. I suppose it doesn't matter if you make it to the police force, but the option is there!

Zack de la Rochelle
Oct 21, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Many schools offer a fresh start program for people in your exact situation. I suppose it doesn't matter if you make it to the police force, but the option is there!

Yeah, I did look into that, and if worse comes to worse I can fall back on that. I'm in no serious rush since I saved wisely before I got out.

jonhyb9
Jul 12, 2010
Vasudus,

It has been a while since I've read over this whole thread, so I can't recall if you have cleared an issue like this before; so I have yet to receive any BAH for the month of Oct. I received a letter from the VA saying that I was going to receive BAH from the 1st of Nov until 12 Dec, and I'm quite confused since I begun the quarter on the 24th of Sep, I mean the only issue I can see is that I was AD until the 3rd of Oct, but the Navy only gave me BAH for those 3 days of Oct, so I should still rate 28 days of G.I Bill BAH, right? or am pretty misinformed? your assistance with this will be very helpful. thanks.

Forgot to add some info: Rate 100% of GI Bill, have already received book stipend, attending Community in Seattle.

jonhyb9 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 6, 2012

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

jonhyb9 posted:

Vasudus,

It has been a while since I've read over this whole thread, so I can't recall if you have cleared an issue like this before; so I have yet to receive any BAH for the month of Oct. I received a letter from the VA saying that I was going to receive BAH from the 1st of Nov until 12 Dec, and I'm quite confused since I begun the quarter on the 24th of Sep, I mean the only issue I can see is that I was AD until the 3rd of Oct, but the Navy only gave me BAH for those 3 days of Oct, so I should still rate 28 days of G.I Bill BAH, right? or am pretty misinformed? your assistance with this will be very helpful. thanks.

Forgot to add some info: Rate 100% of GI Bill, have already received book stipend, attending Community in Seattle.

Unfortunately, despite the VA switching to a prorated system for their payments, you're probably boned on getting BAH for October because they are really picky about the DoD->VA BAH payment transition. Yes, it's monumentally stupid but that seems to be going around more and more these days. My only suggestion is to give them a call and raise holy hell, though I'm not sure how effective that would be :(

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Already looking for a seasonal job for a little scratch to cover the dead period from the 1st week of December to the 2nd week of January. Thinking about Christmas tree farms because gently caress a retail job.

Seriously, USA doesn't start classes until January 16th. What the gently caress?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's government math. They save 15 million over 5 years doing this prorated poo poo, vets either eat that loss or put the burden on businesses for seasonal worker stuff.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
10-15 years ago, I used to do day labor poo poo if I had 2-3 week breaks between jobs, it was nice because it was show up, work a day, get a day's pay. No, they weren't any kind of nice jobs, but it worked for someone with a few weeks of not getting paid.

I asked around about that and apparently the lovely economy eliminated that as an option. You cram in hours before the place opens, line up and hope someone picks you for a minimum wage job that might last 4 hours.

So that pro-rated poo poo would be ok if there were options available for very short-term employment, but in the real world it doesn't work like that.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I hated the elimination of break pay initially. Now, over a year later, I actually feel like it worked out in my favor.

a) You know when your breaks are coming, so you can save up money.
b) I actually am getting an extra semester of benefits out of the change because I'm using fewer benefit days and even a single day of entitlement gets you the whole semester. This is pretty awesome because I thought I'd have to pay my entire last year.

Winter break kind of sucks a little (hurray, less money for xmas!), admittedly, but summer doesn't even matter because internships pay stupidly well.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

I'm a success story :toot:

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm a success story :toot:

Are you in CAS100A by chance?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Bright Eyes posted:

Are you in CAS100A by chance?

Nah, I took that in 2004.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone used Post 9/11 for flight training?

Forgive me if this was already asked but I didn't read through all 44 pages of this thread and I didn't see it mentioned in the FAQ.

- How do I find out how much GI Bill I have left?
- Will it pay for only the training or will it also pay for associated costs (i.e. plane rental for required flight time)?
- Is there a way to get BAH if I go this route? Or will I have to get a full on degree at Embry Riddle or something?

jonhyb9
Jul 12, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Thanks for the reply, Vasudus!. Yes I did indeed give them a call, and I wouldn't say that I raised hell, but I was pretty stern with them, trying to figure this out, although the VA guy was like " no need to get loud with me,,, Sir", haha, yeah I guess they get a lot of pissed Vets calling them about this bullshit. Well it's definitely good that I have money saved up for poo poo-uations like this, although I'm probably going to confused them more, because; I might have to drop 1 or 2 classes (I'm taking 4, 5 credit classes, stupid? yes now I know) because I don't want to screw up my GPA by getting a barely passing grade or failing it. So I'm guessing that's going to gently caress with my BAH rate and I'm going to have to pay back those classes to the VA, right? I hosed up this quarter either way, thanks again for the help.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
My professor is looking into a problem with my GI Bill BAH and I am looking for the information she needs to make a case. I began the MPA program and am taking 6 graduate credits for Summer 2012 and Fall 2012.

Summer 2012: I begin program, get my GI bill paperwork done with the certifying official, and get my full BAH for the semester (about $2000)

Fall 2012: For this semester I am still taking 6 credits, but the assumption is that 9 credits is full time, so I am only being paid about $1400 for BAH. I asked the certifying official about the difference and he said "The reason you received the full housing allowance during the summer is because the summer term is compressed and the VA uses a different formula."

The professor believes that for her program 6 credits should be considered full time. Will she be able to get a waiver for me so that I can get full time benefits with 6 credits, and if so, will I be able to get back the money that wasn't paid to me the past two months?

I'm not too optimistic right now but wanted to see if anyone else went through this.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FooGoo posted:

Forgive me if this was already asked but I didn't read through all 44 pages of this thread and I didn't see it mentioned in the FAQ.

- Will it pay for only the training or will it also pay for associated costs (i.e. plane rental for required flight time)?
- Is there a way to get BAH if I go this route? Or will I have to get a full on degree at Embry Riddle or something?

GI Bill pays out as one would expect when that flight training is part of an institute of higher learning meaning a schoo like Purdue, OU, Southern Il, or Embry-Riddle. Can't answer the rest for you. Sorry bro.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

jonhyb9 posted:

Thanks for the reply, Vasudus!. Yes I did indeed give them a call, and I wouldn't say that I raised hell, but I was pretty stern with them, trying to figure this out, although the VA guy was like " no need to get loud with me,,, Sir", haha, yeah I guess they get a lot of pissed Vets calling them about this bullshit. Well it's definitely good that I have money saved up for poo poo-uations like this, although I'm probably going to confused them more, because; I might have to drop 1 or 2 classes (I'm taking 4, 5 credit classes, stupid? yes now I know) because I don't want to screw up my GPA by getting a barely passing grade or failing it. So I'm guessing that's going to gently caress with my BAH rate and I'm going to have to pay back those classes to the VA, right? I hosed up this quarter either way, thanks again for the help.

You should be ok, since this is your first withdrawal. Obviously, don't try to repeat the same mistakes, but it's OK because nearly everyone fucks something up the first semester.

Crazy Mike posted:

My professor is looking into a problem with my GI Bill BAH and I am looking for the information she needs to make a case. I began the MPA program and am taking 6 graduate credits for Summer 2012 and Fall 2012.

Summer 2012: I begin program, get my GI bill paperwork done with the certifying official, and get my full BAH for the semester (about $2000)

Fall 2012: For this semester I am still taking 6 credits, but the assumption is that 9 credits is full time, so I am only being paid about $1400 for BAH. I asked the certifying official about the difference and he said "The reason you received the full housing allowance during the summer is because the summer term is compressed and the VA uses a different formula."

The professor believes that for her program 6 credits should be considered full time. Will she be able to get a waiver for me so that I can get full time benefits with 6 credits, and if so, will I be able to get back the money that wasn't paid to me the past two months?

I'm not too optimistic right now but wanted to see if anyone else went through this.

Yes, if you're flagged as full time in VA-ONCE it'll be fine. You basically need a letter from your program director or someone who would have the authority on an official level to say 'yes, this is considered full time'. If this exception is granted, you should be backpaid for the missing BAH. Note that this is usually a one time deal, in the future you should try and maintain the standard for full time (12UG or 9GR).

6 credits over the summer (or any accelerated period) is considered full time otherwise though.

FooGoo posted:

You can find out by looking on your eBenefits account, using the 'Ask a Question' feature of the VA website (turnaround usually 3-5 business days) or by calling the VA education line.

Flight training is iffy:

GI Bill Website posted:

Payments for flight training vary based on which type of flight training course and what kind of school you are enrolled in:

If you are enrolled in any degree program that consists of flight training at a public Institution of Higher Learning you can be reimbursed up to the resident in-state cost of the training and will receive your housing allowance and the books & supplies stipend.

If you are enrolled in any degree program that consists of flight training at a private Institution of Higher Learning you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or $17,500 per academic year, whichever is less. You will also receive your housing allowance and the books & supplies stipend.

If you are enrolled in any type of vocational flight training you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of training or $10,000 per academic year, whichever is less, you WILL NOT receive any housing allowance or books & supplies stipend.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Yes, if you're flagged as full time in VA-ONCE it'll be fine. You basically need a letter from your program director or someone who would have the authority on an official level to say 'yes, this is considered full time'. If this exception is granted, you should be backpaid for the missing BAH. Note that this is usually a one time deal, in the future you should try and maintain the standard for full time (12UG or 9GR).

6 credits over the summer (or any accelerated period) is considered full time otherwise though.

I'm definitely not an expert on physician assistants school but I know duke university (top rated) and the military PA program don't have traditional semesters. They have very weird overlapping sections. Perhaps this is the case with crazy mike.

http://paprogram.mc.duke.edu/PA-Program/Curriculum/

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

I'm definitely not an expert on physician assistants school but I know duke university (top rated) and the military PA program don't have traditional semesters. They have very weird overlapping sections. Perhaps this is the case with crazy mike.

http://paprogram.mc.duke.edu/PA-Program/Curriculum/

Entirely possible, some schools operate on a trimester or quarter system. Not many, but just enough to remind me periodically when I made broad, sweeping generalizations.

I hate trimesters and quarters, for the record. But I hate intersessions in a fall/spring semester even more. It's a billing nightmare.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Got two friends in the flight school program at SLU right now.. GI bill + Yellow Ribbon is covering 100% of their costs if anyone is wanting to get a Bachelors and Flight Training it might be a program to look into.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

HClChicken posted:

Yeah, if I get a B/B+ I have to take another 3 credit hour course and get a B/B+ on it in the spring (while deployed). Currently averaging 98.7 but... my midterm was submitted 5 weeks ago and still no grade.

This is all because I hosed around while in college last and my GPA got too low. took courses as NDS at the school I wanted to go to, but GPA dropped a bit low. Was told to improve that degree and finish my A.S. to show that I am a changed man.

Submitted my application tonight while stating I have two courses that I hope to take before spring 2013.

Did some more research and found two provisions that might allow Stafford loans or Pell Grants.

A student not enrolled in a degree or certificate program is eligible
for Stafford and PLUS loans for up to one year if she is taking coursework
necessary for enrollment in an eligible program. See the discussion under
Stafford and PLUS loans in chapter 6 of this volume.

The course I'm taking is actually for transfer to another institution for the degree. So I might be able to play that angle for the Pell Grant. If that doesn't work I can try the Stafford loan since my adviser wants me to take this course as a pre-requisite to admission into the program.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
ifap :xd:

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
I recently got out and a vet va helper guy at my college got me applied for my GI Bill. I just got a letter in the mail that says

"We have received your application for benefits. It is our sincere desire to decide your case promptly. However, as we have a great number of claims, action on yours may be delayed. We are now in the process of deciding whether additional evidence or information is needed...yada yada"

Routine poo poo or should I be worried?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

JSARSOM posted:

I recently got out and a vet va helper guy at my college got me applied for my GI Bill. I just got a letter in the mail that says

"We have received your application for benefits. It is our sincere desire to decide your case promptly. However, as we have a great number of claims, action on yours may be delayed. We are now in the process of deciding whether additional evidence or information is needed...yada yada"

I got one of those about the stupid 100/month thing, not about the GI bill paperwork proper. Showed up a couple of weeks before I got my certification.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot
Looks like one of the schools I am applying it is requiring proof of MMR (which I can't find). Will they take "hey I as in the military and it was required" as an appropriate excuse?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

JSARSOM posted:

Routine due to the fact that the VA is hosed this term. If it's a big deal, call them and request hardship processing. Tell them you're facing eviction or something. It'll get done in a week or so. Otherwise hold on to your butts, because it might take a minute.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

Looks like one of the schools I am applying it is requiring proof of MMR (which I can't find). Will they take "hey I as in the military and it was required" as an appropriate excuse?

Sometimes. My health center does, other schools nearby do not. Call em and ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

Vasudus posted:

Sometimes. My health center does, other schools nearby do not. Call em and ask.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I shot them an email about it.

• Locked thread