Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

About the only thing I use twitter for is to find articles to read (most of my friends don't use it so all I follow is bloggers) so I'm trying to improve my "workflow" for reading. Right now I go through and "favorite" tweets with articles I want to read later, then as I read them (from the web interface or my twitter client) I unfavorite them. This isn't how twitter intended the favorite feature to be used, because people get notifications when I favorite an article and I don't really like my reading list being public like that.

So I'm looking for a twitter client with good integration into some kind of read it later service (instapaper, readability, pocket, don't really care which). I'm using TweetCaster and it keeps forgetting where I am in my timeline. I'm sending them to Readability, but I think I'm not understanding how to do it correctly, because once I've read something I delete it from my reading list, but Readability makes it harder to delete something than to archive or favorite it, so not sure how I'm supposed to use this.

Ultimately I'm probably going to get some kind of tablet and I'd like to be able to sync an offline copy of my articles to read to the tablet, so I can mark to read them later on my phone, and then later on read them on my tablet, without waiting for articles to load or anything like that.

Try Plume and see if that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Actually Plume is what I was using before I decided on the read-it-later thing, and I love it, except I don't think it integrates with any of the read-it-later services.

In fact, I think tweetcaster may be the only one that does, which makes me cry a bit on the inside.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Actually Plume is what I was using before I decided on the read-it-later thing, and I love it, except I don't think it integrates with any of the read-it-later services.

In fact, I think tweetcaster may be the only one that does, which makes me cry a bit on the inside.

I just saved a Verge article through Plume to Pocket.

Make sure you tap the tweet and then hit more and share.

Unless I'm not getting what you want to do.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm sending them to Readability, but I think I'm not understanding how to do it correctly, because once I've read something I delete it from my reading list, but Readability makes it harder to delete something than to archive or favorite it, so not sure how I'm supposed to use this.

Why do you require deleting the articles? The only time I delete an article is if it wasn't pulled into my read-it-later app and is totally useless. Otherwise I archive everything. Like Skeezy said your best bet is to just share the article or FriendCaster has built-in saving to a read-it-later service.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just go with Plume because at least you get a good Twitter app from it. TweetCaster straight up looks like baby's first twitter app.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I was using Readability, and it seems to be a pretty bad app. No indication from Plume that I'm trying to load anything into it, and it would frequently fail to actually save the article. Pocket seems to do a lot better on that front (and adds itself to the top of my Share list, which is nice, but dumb and hacky).

As far as archiving and not deleting, why would I want to keep articles I don't want to read anymore? I was imaging Archive as a place for things I've read but want to hold on to.

E: I'm guessing I'm supposed to archive what I've read and favorite what I want to find later, that workflow makes a lot more sense, and Pocket does a better job explaining it (the "I've read this" checkbox puts it into the archive, vs Readability which just prevents you with an Archive button but no indication as to why I would want to use it).

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I just got a Razr HD Maxx, and I can't get Hulu to work with it. Has anyone else had this problem? The first ad loads fine, but then nothing else will load. This goes for other streaming video apps except for WatchESPN, which works fine.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Probably stupid question.

I have used GO SMS for a while now. A few posts back I saw somebody recommend Chomp SMS and decided to check it out.

I downloaded it and then uninstalled GO. I've only received a couple of text messages over the past hour but the couple I did get had the Chomp notification and a second, " You have a new message" notification. I click it and it takes me nowhere. I double checked the original "Text Messaging" app to make sure it didn't turn on and the notification settings were still disabled in it. What am I missing.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

CancerStick posted:

Probably stupid question.

I have used GO SMS for a while now. A few posts back I saw somebody recommend Chomp SMS and decided to check it out.

I downloaded it and then uninstalled GO. I've only received a couple of text messages over the past hour but the couple I did get had the Chomp notification and a second, " You have a new message" notification. I click it and it takes me nowhere. I double checked the original "Text Messaging" app to make sure it didn't turn on and the notification settings were still disabled in it. What am I missing.

I had horrible trouble getting other SMS apps to work after having GoSMS installed. After uninstalling notifications wouldn't happen in other apps, with it installed I couldn't get them to work without also having notifications on in GoSMS, no matter what combination of notification options I set in the other app or GoSMS. Problem only went away after flashing a new ROM and not installing GoSMS again. I don't know how but somehow it fucks with SMS notifications on some weird deep level.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, anyone else try the new 4.2 keyboard? I'm using it right now and it's pretty cool. I'm not convinced I'll stick with it, but it makes me even more excited for Swift Key Flow. One thing I miss from Swype is being able to swipe from m to space for a question mark (and similar gestures)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just picked up a Galaxy S III after having the same phone for 5 years, so I am a total smart phone noob. I've got a couple of questions...

The OP recommends the App 'Tasker' for things like 'I want my phone to X when Y.' Would this include something like 'I want my phone to mute when I have a calendar event and then unmute when the event is over?' I want to be sure before I fork over the $6.

Can anyone recommend a widget that would track my data and texting usage over a specific period and display it on my home screen? And maybe even express it as a percentage? I was thinking Traffic Counter Pro.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 31, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

deoju posted:

The OP recommends the App 'Tasker' for things like 'I want my phone to X when Y.' Would this include something like 'I want my phone to mute when I have a calendar event and then unmute when the event is over?' I want to be sure before I fork over the $6.

Yes. http://tasker.wikidot.com/muteinmeetings

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Tunga posted:

Yeah this, and good riddance to it as well. MMS really was the shittiest terrible system for sending pictures. A couple of people I know still insist on using it and sending me stupid tiny little pixelated images that for some reasong get displayed as five second long animations (what the Christ).
Really? Where do you live? are your provider having some set limit on the size of MMS or are your friends compressing the images down to a mess when they send them?
I use MMS all the time, and the pictures are perfectly fine and I can look at them for more than five seconds.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

XIII posted:

So, anyone else try the new 4.2 keyboard? I'm using it right now and it's pretty cool. I'm not convinced I'll stick with it, but it makes me even more excited for Swift Key Flow. One thing I miss from Swype is being able to swipe from m to space for a question mark (and similar gestures)

I have. It's pretty nice and I really dig how the word follows your trace. That being said it royally sucks at words with repeating letters.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

torjus posted:

Really? Where do you live? are your provider having some set limit on the size of MMS or are your friends compressing the images down to a mess when they send them?
I use MMS all the time, and the pictures are perfectly fine and I can look at them for more than five seconds.

UK. I think these are coming from old small dumbphones, hence why they don't just email me.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

UnbornApple posted:

Does Android official Twitter client seriously not support copy and paste?

You can copy via the Share intent with this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.johanhil.clipboard

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

I'm using it and I like it. The fact that it works in the browser is enough to get me to switch from Swype and while I'll try SwiftKey Flow when it gets here, the yearning for it is much, much less than it was.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have. It's pretty nice and I really dig how the word follows your trace. That being said it royally sucks at words with repeating letters.
I'm not having any trouble with repeating letters but the prediction needs to be a lot better if they're only going to provide three suggestions. It's one thing when you suggest for tap-tap typing where you're not going to be off by that much, but when you're swiping it's not like the first letter of the word is guaranteed. Plus it seems really bad at suggesting if you attempt to swipe a misspelled word. Like it gets nowhere in the ballpark.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 31, 2012

Turbo Ron
Nov 21, 2002

deoju posted:

For volume-silencing control see if Shush! works for what you want: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.publicobject.shush

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Turbo Ron posted:

For volume-silencing control see if Shush! works for what you want: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.publicobject.shush

I like Llama

It is a lot more powerful than it's user-friendliness would suggest.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

FISHMANPET posted:

It might be a slightly convoluted option, but Flipboard allows you to subscribe to twitter feeds and it includes read it later integration.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
I've been trying to download a free RSA client today to my Nexus (RSA SecurID Software Token), and it keeps coming back with an error every time I try to install it. The error I'm getting is "error processing purchase DF-BPA-10". I can only find one post through Google about that error, but it didn't give any solution. I tried clearing the cache and data for the Google Services Framework as well, that didn't help. I'm running Android 4.1.2 if that matters.

Has anyone received this error before, and if so, how did you get around it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

XIII posted:

So, anyone else try the new 4.2 keyboard?
There's still no arrow keys right?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's still no arrow keys right?

That's what Hacker's Keyboard is for.

Also, phone started running a bit slow after about 8 days of uptime, so sad. Running the CM10 10-20121020 Nightly.

Edit: Uptime: 214:14:24 on the Verizon GNex.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 31, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Illuminado posted:

That's what Hacker's Keyboard is for.
Yeah but sometimes I want arrow keys and not ctrl/esc/whatever. Swype does a good job of that.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah but sometimes I want arrow keys and not ctrl/esc/whatever. Swype does a good job of that.

I am the weird outlier that cannot stand Swype. I need to type individual letters.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Thumb Keyboard's nice for that too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I do really like the Edit page on Swype.

I've moved back to Swype from the 4.2 keyboard, but I'll probably switch back later today and play around with it more. I agree with what someone said earlier that only having three word choices isn't enough. I may have said this already ITT, but one thing I really like about Swype is being able to swipe from M to the space bar to get a "?" and similar gestures. SwiftKey's smart punctuation key (or whatever they've called it) is a close second. I really don't like that the 4.2 keyboard doesn't have long press symbol keys, so you have to switch pages to get to most of them. I do think it's a huge step up for the people that never switch from the stock keyboard, but I'll stick with my Swype in portrait, SwiftKey in landscape combo, until Flow is released. Also, although I use Keyboard Manager to have different keyboards depending on my phone's orientation, I really feel that should be a feature that's built in.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How does DeskSMS work? I'm thinking of abandoning Google Voice because of its lack of MMS but I don't want to give up the ability to send texts from my desktop. Its Play page isn't very descriptive - do the app redirect all SMS and MMS to its service, which then forwards it along to me? That's the only way I can think of it working and I hesitate to give them carte blanche access to my messages.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Question for any fellow UNIX geeks.

I use connectbot and Hacker's Keyboard extensively in my daily work, but I can't figure out how to get the keyboard to send the proper backspace signal. Since I'm on AIX, I need to send the Ctrl+H code, but I can't get connectbot to do that, regardless of keyboard.

Anyone have a suggestion?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I've just noticed something which was fixed in the latest maps update from the other day: the 'area of uncertainty' indicator is back! :toot:

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Is there any way to copy and paste an address from maps to calendar? Holy poo poo. Google Now doesn't do the traffic/reminder stuff for events unless you have an actual address in the calendar event. Can you share from maps to calendar? So annoying.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Goose Halo posted:

Is there any way to copy and paste an address from maps to calendar? Holy poo poo. Google Now doesn't do the traffic/reminder stuff for events unless you have an actual address in the calendar event. Can you share from maps to calendar? So annoying.
I doubt you can on the phone, but I always put the address in Calendar events for exactly this reason.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Since I'm on AIX, I need to send the Ctrl+H code, but I can't get connectbot to do that, regardless of keyboard.
Does AIX not have stty? Otherwise:
code:
stty erase ^?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Goose Halo posted:

You can definitely hit the 'share this place with others' option from within the Maps app to pop up a Share menu, but it won't create a Calendar event - you'll need to share it to a new SMS or something, then cut and paste over to Calendar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just noticed something else that's irritating about Now and bluetooth.

If I'm connected to BT, the "Search, or say Google" text in the Now search field just says "Search". (Saying Google doesn't work)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Does anyone know if you can get Google Now to pull from a second Gmail account? I've got my main/work/serious business account and my secondary/spam/random stuff account, and the second is where I typically put things like flight and hotel confirmations since they like to sign you up to weekly emails. Both accounts are on my phone, but I'd prefer to keep Google Now synced to the first account while still able to pull stuff from the second.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Karthe posted:

How does DeskSMS work? I'm thinking of abandoning Google Voice because of its lack of MMS but I don't want to give up the ability to send texts from my desktop. Its Play page isn't very descriptive - do the app redirect all SMS and MMS to its service, which then forwards it along to me? That's the only way I can think of it working and I hesitate to give them carte blanche access to my messages.
That's about right, the app sends SMS/MMS to the service and when you reply it sends it back to the app to send via the phone.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

datajosh posted:

That's about right, the app sends SMS/MMS to the service and when you reply it sends it back to the app to send via the phone.

You can't send MMS through DeskSMS, but you can view them. SMS are two way... Great if you use it through Google Talk.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Just noticed something else that's irritating about Now and bluetooth.

If I'm connected to BT, the "Search, or say Google" text in the Now search field just says "Search". (Saying Google doesn't work)

If I'm connected to bluetooth, I can't get any voice recognition to work in Google Now. Using the voice recognition keyboard works, but Google Now just sits there saying "Initializing". Works perfectly when not connected to bluetooth.

Annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

RVProfootballer posted:

Does anyone know if you can get Google Now to pull from a second Gmail account? I've got my main/work/serious business account and my secondary/spam/random stuff account, and the second is where I typically put things like flight and hotel confirmations since they like to sign you up to weekly emails. Both accounts are on my phone, but I'd prefer to keep Google Now synced to the first account while still able to pull stuff from the second.

I'd be surprised if you can get it granular enough to pull some things and not all of it, though. A practical solution might be to manually forward your confirmation emails to your primary account (or use a forwarding filter triggered off the word "Confirmation" or similar).

• Locked thread