Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Loosen it up or get a better helmet. That shouldn't be happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah. You shouldn't have to tighten the strap down so much that it cuts off your breathing -- I don't notice mine usually unless I look down at my feet or duck my chin. If you're having to tighten it down like that to get the helmet to stay in place, it's way too large and you need to get a smaller size.

Put the helmet on, do up the strap just so that it feels snug but not tight, then grab the chin piece and sharply pull the helmet back and forth, up and down. If it slides at all on your head (instead of taking your head with it), then it's going to move around or even get popped off in a crash, and that's A Very Bad Thing.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah. You shouldn't have to tighten the strap down so much that it cuts off your breathing -- I don't notice mine usually unless I look down at my feet or duck my chin. If you're having to tighten it down like that to get the helmet to stay in place, it's way too large and you need to get a smaller size.

Put the helmet on, do up the strap just so that it feels snug but not tight, then grab the chin piece and sharply pull the helmet back and forth, up and down. If it slides at all on your head (instead of taking your head with it), then it's going to move around or even get popped off in a crash, and that's A Very Bad Thing.

Nah, not cutting off my breathing, just cutting into my throat to make a sore, red spot. Not interfering with breathing at all.

I did the basic helmet test you describe before buying the thing, and it stays put pretty well. I do take a bit of issue with the "up and down" bit, though: it has to move about a bit, vertically, else you wouldn't be able to take it off. It does generally pull my head with it unless I force my head still.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Loosen it up or get a better helmet. That shouldn't be happening.

Probably both of these. It's an HJC, get what I paid too much for. Thanks, guys.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, I have an HJC and it's fine. It whistles at 40mph with the visor open, but I really shouldn't be riding at that speed with the visor open anyway.

Cutting into your throat to make a sore spot is too tight. Just loosen up on it a bit -- it sounds like the helmet is probably fitted pretty well otherwise. Like I said, the helmet should be pretty stationary on your head with or without the strap; it's only there to keep it from being pulled off in a crash.

Also, just keep using it! The padding does break in and mold to your head somewhat over time (including the padding and curvature of the strap), and your body is very good at ignoring constant sensations if you just let it be for a while. When was the last time you felt your shoes on your feet?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, I have an HJC and it's fine. It whistles at 40mph with the visor open, but I really shouldn't be riding at that speed with the visor open anyway.

Cutting into your throat to make a sore spot is too tight. Just loosen up on it a bit -- it sounds like the helmet is probably fitted pretty well otherwise. Like I said, the helmet should be pretty stationary on your head with or without the strap; it's only there to keep it from being pulled off in a crash.

Also, just keep using it! The padding does break in and mold to your head somewhat over time (including the padding and curvature of the strap), and your body is very good at ignoring constant sensations if you just let it be for a while. When was the last time you felt your shoes on your feet?

The last time I bought new ones. So... fair point, I think. Thank you kindly.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Lothire posted:

My legs feel like paper, but I'm so happy to have done this. Motorcycles were such a mystery to me. It feels crazy to have gone from so little knowledge to full on motorcycle endorsement in just two days.

TheNothingNew posted:

Fellows, I want to thank you. I just finished day 3 of a four-day MSF, I am doing generally quite well, and most of that is thanks to lurking here for the last year or so.

These are the best kind of posts. :3:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
It really is a wonderful thread to read and encourage ones self with. There's no way I would have psyched myself up enough to do the course without this sub forum around.

TheNothingNew posted:

The last time I bought new ones. So... fair point, I think. Thank you kindly.

If I may suggest, wear it around the house once in a while. Sure, your dog might look at you funny (and lick the poo poo out of your visor because he can't reach your face and for some drat reason that just erks the gently caress out of him but hey maybe that's just my dog) but it will break it in quicker and maybe help/better identify the strap problem. My flip-up HJC felt heavy on my head and took maybe an hour of wearing every couple days before I could sit down and play a game for an hour and not notice.

Also shaving helped the strap not be so itchy.. Though if you're rocking some sort of Gimli-like beard then please ignore this statement completely.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I wonder for how many people this forum is responsible for getting into motorcycling; I know it would've taken me much longer to get to the MSF, if it weren't for this place.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

AncientTV posted:

I wonder for how many people this forum is responsible for getting into motorcycling; I know it would've taken me much longer to get to the MSF, if it weren't for this place.

Yep, this. It'd be a fun poll to do!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Me three. For some odd reason it was reading the crash thread that made me want to try my hand at it.

Mainly because it made me realise that falling off a bike isn't actually a death sentence :)

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Lothire posted:

It really is a wonderful thread to read and encourage ones self with. There's no way I would have psyched myself up enough to do the course without this sub forum around.

If I may suggest, wear it around the house once in a while. Sure, your dog might look at you funny (and lick the poo poo out of your visor because he can't reach your face and for some drat reason that just erks the gently caress out of him but hey maybe that's just my dog) but it will break it in quicker and maybe help/better identify the strap problem. My flip-up HJC felt heavy on my head and took maybe an hour of wearing every couple days before I could sit down and play a game for an hour and not notice.

Also shaving helped the strap not be so itchy.. Though if you're rocking some sort of Gimli-like beard then please ignore this statement completely.

A helmet is just an odd spot to have weight, so yeah. Totally wore it around the house for a few weeks after I got it. Didn't even notice it during riding, to the point where I surprised myself by being unable to scratch my face.

Just seemed natural to torque that strap down as tight as I could get it, I dunno. Eased off today (and shaved) and bam! No issues.

Oh, and passed the course, in spite of locking up under pressure a bit. Thanks for the help, guys. Now: the loving DMV. Have to go see what they want.

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

falling off a bike isn't actually a death sentence

Not at 1 mph, anyway. World's slowest high-side. Less than confidence-building.

TheNothingNew fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 1, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TheNothingNew posted:

Not at 1 mph, anyway. World's slowest high-side. Less than confidence-building.

I don't think any serious motorcyclist hasn't had a 0-5 mph "Oh god that was embarrassing" parking lot off.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Safety Dance posted:

I don't think any serious motorcyclist hasn't had a 0-5 mph "Oh god that was embarrassing" parking lot off.

One time I forgot to pop my kick stand.

Hopped off, turned around, *crash*

FUUUUUUU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wulframn posted:

One time I forgot to pop my kick stand.

Hopped off, turned around, *crash*

FUUUUUUU

I saw an ex-girlfriend on the sidewalk turned around, and pulled into a parking spot. Fumbled the kickstand, and down went the bike.

It wasn't meant to be.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Safety Dance posted:

I saw an ex-girlfriend on the sidewalk turned around, and pulled into a parking spot. Fumbled the kickstand, and down went the bike.

It wasn't meant to be.

Hahaha this is great. I can just imagine her thinking "Oh, yeah. That's why."

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

It wasn't meant to be.

Hahah I can't stop laughing at this. Right after I got my bike I pulled up next to a stop light and realized the car next to me looked like my ex's, whom I left six months prior when she cheated. I looked over and not only was it her, but she was checking me out. She realized it was me and gave me an awkward wave. I nodded and roared off into the distance.

It would have been considerably less cathartic if I'd stalled and dumped it in the intersection.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Once, having just been to the grocery store in all my gear like a total badass, with the yoga moms and envious dads watching, I coolly flipped on all my fuel and electrical systems like I was starting a fighter jet, hopped up on the kick starter, gave a mighty kick while ripping open the throttle, and had the bike shoot forwards out my grasp six inches and fall over because I forgot to bump it into neutral first. :iamafag:

Khashie
May 21, 2007
Although I failed two weeks ago, you guys motivated me into going this week. Wish me luck (I never rid a bicycle so that probably had to do with it ).

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Khashie posted:

Although I failed two weeks ago, you guys motivated me into going this week. Wish me luck (I never rid a bicycle so that probably had to do with it ).

What part did you fail on?

Khashie
May 21, 2007

Wulframn posted:

What part did you fail on?
I was too scared to go Ito second gear. I was doing alright honestly but the whole breaking part scares me :/ lmfao I have images of being thrown over.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hey, breaking scares me too!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Don't worry, the transmission won't break going into second gear.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Here's the secret for manual transmissions, both car and bike: second gear is way smoother, and easier to tootle around a parking lot in. First is just for getting going.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Basically yeah. When I ride I've barely taken my foot off the ground by the time I'm in second gear.

Khashie
May 21, 2007
Do I have to even start in first or can I go straight to second. Ahaha I've never used a manual car and I don't really care for this stuff :3 thanks guys

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In general you'll only start in 2nd on accident, tho there are sometimes specific instances when you want a bit higher gearing to get going.

Actually, thinking of it I do start in 2nd on the street a couple places. Both are stop lights on a large downhill, where just picking my feet up gets the bike rolling. I find myself skipping second more than starting with it. On a 250 Ninja 2nd and 3rd are really close and on my 600 2nd is just a wasted shift when putting around town. Perfect for the backroads tho, 2nd is right in the power band @ 55mph.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 2, 2012

Khashie
May 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

In general you'll only start in 2nd on accident, tho there are sometimes specific instances when you want a bit higher gearing to get going.

Actually, thinking of it I do start in 2nd on the street a couple places. Both are stop lights on a large downhill, where just picking my feet up gets the bike rolling.

So let me try to wrap my head around this. I was having problems stalling because I wasn't giving it gas and I was letting the clutch out too fast. In higher gears I would need more gas right?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Yep, but this is kind of getting into stuff you shouldn't be concerned with at the moment. I had zero manual experience going into the MSF as well (as did some other people in my class), and you get used to it after a few shifts, as long as you're following directions. Don't try to dick around with starting in second; the instructors will probably notice.

Khashie
May 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Yep, but this is kind of getting into stuff you shouldn't be concerned with at the moment. I had zero manual experience going into the MSF as well (as did some other people in my class), and you get used to it after a few shifts, as long as you're following directions. Don't try to dick around with starting in second; the instructors will probably notice.
:3 fine I guess I should just focus on doing what they tell me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A lot more gas and a lot more clutch slipping.

If you're having problems stalling try breaking down the start process into parts. The first thing you want to do is find the friction zone of the clutch, the point where it starts to bite but doesn't completely engage. You should be able to do this with the bike stopped and without stalling. You'll hear the engine note drop a bit and the bike will squat a bit as it wants to go, but it won't. That's the magic zone for the bike, it's where you'll keep the clutch most of the time you're using it.

With the clutch at that point you start giving it gas, while keeping the clutch in the friction zone. On my bike, I might rev it to around 5k while slipping the clutch, then as the bike's speed comes up and the engine revs drop a bit and match the wheel, you fully let out the clutch.

Eventually you get to the point where you're giving it gas and letting the clutch out to the bite point at the same time.

The thing to remember with the clutch is it's not about letting it out fast or slow, it's about where you let it out to. There's three positions in general: Full disengaged (clutch all the way in), slipping (the friction zone or bite point), and fully engaged (lever out, clutch connected). How quick or slow you go from one to the other doesn't really matter for what you're doing, it's more important to have it in the right zone and not move to the next one too quickly. When an instructor says you're "letting it out too fast" they mean that you're going from full disengaged to fully engaged too quickly without spending enough time in the slip zone.

Slip slip slip. Get used to that friction zone and don't be afraid to stay in it. In a way you're probably a bit better off having never driven a manual car because you won't try to compare the two. I know some guys who drove manual cars before riding and they seem afraid to slip the clutch, but bikes and cars are different. Slip away.

edit: grammars

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 3, 2012

Khashie
May 21, 2007
Thanks for all that guys :) I'm kind of excited to get back on it. Hopefully I wont get that really tall bike. I could barely stand on it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Safety Dance posted:

Pulled to a stop, put down kickstand, pant leg caught the extension on top of it and I didn't notice. Went to lean the bike onto the stand only to discover there was no stand for it to be let down onto it. Flopped it onto its side in front of like thirty people, and just laid there for a minute wondering if it really was possible to die of embarrassment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm proud of you, nsaP. Z3n would be too. :neckbeard:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I know I must have seen the thread in a Perfect Storm of you, Wulfram and z3n all being afk somehow. Amazing.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
To make is short and sweet for slipping the clutch remember: "To it not through it."

Bring a bag lunch and ask to go through an exercise or remedial training during lunch or after the class.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

I know I must have seen the thread in a Perfect Storm of you, Wulfram and z3n all being afk somehow. Amazing.

One of us. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Khashie posted:

So let me try to wrap my head around this. I was having problems stalling because I wasn't giving it gas and I was letting the clutch out too fast. In higher gears I would need more gas right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6IjR-eSYeY

Just watch this vid, it's probably the best and most basic set of instructions I've ever seen.

Honestly, easiest way to figure it out is to get on the bike, be sure you're on a flat surface, put it in first with the clutch in, and *slowly* let the clutch out. Slowly. No gas, just gradually let it out as you feel the friction zone. If you start to studder/stall it, clutch back in, feet down. Lather, rinse, repeat. Do it a dozen times with your hand nowhere near the throttle. Roll it off slowly enough and the bike will take off in first gear without you so much as giving it any gas. Get that mental block out of the way, and then just *ease* the throttle on. Slow, smooth inputs.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

metallicaeg posted:

Don't worry, the transmission won't break going into second gear.

I broke the gear shift lever on my MSF bike with my retard goonlord strength.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

nsaP posted:

Good job, indeed. You did such a good job I spent all of 30 seconds to make you this special prize:

Z3n posted:

One of us. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Are you implying I am one of you, as well?

'Cause I kind of imagine myself as a god riding among mere motorcycling mortals. A sexy fast velociraptor god. And instead of thunderbolts I have a .44 magnum.

Loaded with thunderbolts.

Wulframn fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

I broke the gear shift lever on my MSF bike with my retard goonlord strength.

Tell us more. What were you doing?

• Locked thread