Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You're forgetting this comic's true influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BX6SjEKH9k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm actually pretty eager to see how this is handled. I don't want it to be over too fast but I really don't want it to be the second coming of a certain other popular webcomic.

It's a serious shame not many people read this comic, with the clever writing and absolutely breathtaking art you'd think it would of exploded by now.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm actually pretty eager to see how this is handled. I don't want it to be over too fast but I really don't want it to be the second coming of a certain other popular webcomic.

I would gladly accept over 1000 pages on one boss fight if it means we get more of Gigi's purty arts.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, it's popular enough that it was able to fund that Kickstarter a while back. Explosive, enormous popularity can come suddenly, but it never comes quickly, and it's only been running for 18 months. Even then, Cucumber Quest might not ever be that kind of phenomenon no matter how big its reader numbers get, simply because the talent involved is put to the task of creating something inimitable, which accordingly can't be remixed and shared.

It would be very inaccurate and not a little bit stupid to say its low meme potential is holding it back, but it does make it correspondingly more difficult to generate buzz that takes a form other than gushing about how good it is. This limits the temperature, if you will, of the audience - not its size. The most rapid successes of the internet age are those that invite the audience to involve their own creativity, and that doesn't describe Cucumber Quest.

Still, I wouldn't worry about it ending too fast. There are quite a lot of Disaster Masters, and it's taken a year and a half to get to the point where they might be confronting the first one.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, it's popular enough that it was able to fund that Kickstarter a while back. Explosive, enormous popularity can come suddenly, but it never comes quickly, and it's only been running for 18 months. Even then, Cucumber Quest might not ever be that kind of phenomenon no matter how big its reader numbers get, simply because the talent involved is put to the task of creating something inimitable, which accordingly can't be remixed and shared.

It would be very inaccurate and not a little bit stupid to say its low meme potential is holding it back, but it does make it correspondingly more difficult to generate buzz that takes a form other than gushing about how good it is. This limits the temperature, if you will, of the audience - not its size. The most rapid successes of the internet age are those that invite the audience to involve their own creativity, and that doesn't describe Cucumber Quest.

Still, I wouldn't worry about it ending too fast. There are quite a lot of Disaster Masters, and it's taken a year and a half to get to the point where they might be confronting the first one.

And seeing how a high temperature internet fanbase acts and reacts to pretty much everything, would you really want to wish that on Cucumber Quest? I wouldn't wish being like said webcomic on my enemies as this point. Memes don't dictate, indicate, or really have anything to do with how good something is. Nor does fanart or fanfic or PYF mockable internet thing poster children.

Not everything needs to be some big internet phenomenon; understated genius is the best kind.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I agree, it would be fantastic if she could somehow put together a project that caused a lot of people to put their own effort towards works for it. It'd give it a large fanbase and could really widen the audience by a ton! It's too bad that'll never happen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Her Persona and MGS comics were what gave her the audience that went on to fund her Kickstarter. There are many higher echelons of popularity.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Bongo Bill posted:

Her Persona and MGS comics were what gave her the audience that went on to fund her Kickstarter. There are many higher echelons of popularity.

Didn't she shut down, move on to Cucumber Quest, and re-establish/rename herself as gigi digi because she was sick of people bugging her about Persona and video game parody comics on her LJ? Because if so that's not a good example of the point you're trying to make.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

MadRhetoric posted:

Didn't she shut down, move on to Cucumber Quest, and re-establish/rename herself as gigi digi because she was sick of people bugging her about Persona and video game parody comics on her LJ? Because if so that's not a good example of the point you're trying to make.

P. Much, yeah. And she's gone on record as saying that she hates it when people ask her when she'll finish her P4 comics, or when she'll do a MGS4 comic.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Lance Streetman posted:

P. Much, yeah. And she's gone on record as saying that she hates it when people ask her when she'll finish her P4 comics, or when she'll do a MGS4 comic.

Well, specifically, on her Twitter she said something to the nature of "I don't mind when people say something like "hey I loved your game comics and I just found CQ, big fan!" but it's really rude to say things like "OMG WHEN ARE YOU FINISHING THE P4 COMIC HUH!??!?!" which makes sense. Her old stuff is how I found CQ, after all.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
new page: http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-253/

I think this is my favorite Almond page yet

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope he reaches off screen and starts chucking barrels that Almond had no idea was around. Horrible backfires seem to be a running thing :v:!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god, Splashmaster :3:.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
He just had the best idea, totally not prompted by anything anyone said!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Well, in Doughnut Kingdom they say that the Splashmaster's small Special skill grew three stars that day.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think the Cucumber Quest banner might be foreshadowing. I notice her arms are awfully free in it.

I bet the next thing she will say is "Oh no, please don't grab me! Stay away from me!" And then when she's close enough to get a good blow on that big eye of his.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I just love Splashmaster's goofy smile at the end. :allears:

Wonder what Almond will get him to do next.

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.
Just in case anyone wants, here:

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope
New page!

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Oh my gosh, even the THUD! sound effect is reflected on the water. I find that amazing for some strange reason. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I love Splashmaster and everything he does. He has the doofiest grin whenever he's doing anything and it just works so well. "Here me go! :downs:"

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-255/

The screaming one is carrot, obviously.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
New page's up.

But, jeez, it's like he didn't even try.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Nerds aren't very strong. Also, swords are heavy and that's pretty high up.

Almond's face in that last panel is absolutely hilarious.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cucumber... when will you be useful in dangerous situations?

:cripes:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I was kind of hoping he'd just barbecue Splashmaster with his wand. I know it wouldn't fit the tone, but it would be so cathartic.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It seems like a really terrible idea to throw an unsheathed sword for someone to catch, especially when there are a lot of factors at hand that would make it very hard for them to do so. Like, say, being restrained by a giant squid.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe Cucumber knew that and feigned weakness on purpose! :aaa:

Not that he would've made the throw anyways, but still.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
This clip was all I could think of when I saw the last panel.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-257/

Is...Is that blood? Does splashmaster bleed orange?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

"You sound like my dad" indeed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lance Streetman posted:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-257/

Is...Is that blood? Does splashmaster bleed orange?

No, it's the amazing power of beta-carotene!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Hell yes, Carrot! :black101:
He'll probably turn right back into a total wuss within the next 2 pages...

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
New page: http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-258/

In other news, I got my book today! Yay. The only bad part is that it was damaged in the mail. :smith:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Silly Voodoo posted:

New page: http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-258/

In other news, I got my book today! Yay. The only bad part is that it was damaged in the mail. :smith:

Say something to gigi about it via email or twitter! She's been freaking out about hoping peoples' stuff would get their safe and I'm sure she'd want to hear/perhaps work something out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Awww Cuco and Almond :3:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't remember pledging for these, but I got a set of the little portraits of Cuco, Almond, Carrot, Peridot, Bacon, Cabbage, and the Nightmare Knight. I have no idea what to do with these. I love them and they're pretty, but what do I do with them :confused:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Frame them and hang them up?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wow, didn't see that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Oh drat. :munch: