Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That was amazingly fun. Definitely worth the fiver. The best part for me, though, was that Wei somehow got a knife stuck in his head during the first (living) gang fight, and it stayed there the entire time. I guess he figured since all the dead people were up in HK now, he might as well just stick around too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tell me about it, it's the greatest thing. I was having a devil of a time trying to fight off a bunch of 18k AND hopping corpses in a garage. No matter how many zombies I threw into engines or sawed the faces off, the last few would always get me. So screw it, it's a garage. Hopped in a car and started running ancient chinese undead down under my wheels.

Then I started getting achievements for it.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
This DLC is pretty great. In other news, it appears that Square-Enix threw Sleeping Dogs under the minibus:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76454/square-enix-projects-68-million-loss-cites-slow-sleeping-dogs

:smith:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Leb posted:

This DLC is pretty great. In other news, it appears that Square-Enix threw Sleeping Dogs under the minibus:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76454/square-enix-projects-68-million-loss-cites-slow-sleeping-dogs

This is disappointing, though I'm not really surprised that they'd lay blame on a western title. Hopefully nothing bad happens to United Front. They seem like the type of developer that if given the right kind of support they will make a fun game.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gibbed posted:

The DLC price got bumped up to $6.99 on Steam for some :wtc: reason, it's still $4.99 on GMG and GamersGate, no idea how long that will last.

Man I should have jumped on it when it was $5 on Steam but I take it GMG will give me a Steam code anyway?

Leb posted:

Oh yeah, I'm sure losses from their arcade subsidiary didn't contribute much :psyduck:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

movax posted:

Man I should have jumped on it when it was $5 on Steam but I take it GMG will give me a Steam code anyway?

Yeah GMG spits out a steam code.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I finished everything(except finding the 10pots) in maybe 2 hours. I didn't like the DLC.
It started out good with solid writing and then it ended up as throw ghosts into energy portal and then kill the rest, or kill ghosts to get meter up and kill the demon. I didn't enjoy either of those 2 things and they are like 90% of what you do.

I loved the main game and finished everything in it. During the whole game I never thought "ugh, do I really have to do this/do this again?" but I did during the DLC. A real bummer.

Not worth the 7 bucks for me(xbox price).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Leb posted:

Haha yeah I'm sure it was Sleeping Dogs and not Square's endless train of other flops. There's something really vindictive about how Japanese publishers treat Western developers.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The straw hat in the Ghost Pig pack is that awesome "over the face" hat from Big Trouble in Little China.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The most disappointing part of the DLC was that Dogeyes' voice actor was replaced with someone generic. I really hope they don't do this with future DLCs.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Caufman posted:

The most disappointing part of the DLC was that Dogeyes' voice actor was replaced with someone generic. I really hope they don't do this with future DLCs.

Was he? Sounded like him just with a ghostly reverb effect to me, though I haven't played the story in this game in a while, so my memory might be hazy.

Enjoyed the DLC, definitely worth it for $5, but I did feel a bit of fatigue towards the end. The final fight could really have benefit from not having you do the same thing, in the same pattern, twice in a row. And the Yaoguai, while an interesting idea and never really a chore, I think had a bit too much health. If you could take them down in one burst of Tea Fists instead of two, without needing the Shaolin Master outfit to get the necessary bonus damage, I think it would have been better. On the other hand, more Salty is great, the ghost chasing missions were fun as 'riffs' on respective missions from the main story, Wei is still a total dick, and running down chinese vampires in my bumblebee coupe is magical.

"That's how it goes; burn down there, burn up here." :smug:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
If I'm totally objective, I did feel a bit of fatigue towards the end too, but on the other hand I was going for full completion (which took 5 hours) so I spent an hour or so going around looking for hell shrines and the random peach wood swords so that I could get the stat awards before the final confrontation. I think burning through the main story alone would keep that manic energy and momentum going until the last.

Oh, and I was delighted that I was able to find all 10 of the shrines myself. They don't mark them on the map this time, so you have to find them the old-fashioned way. Normally I hate such things, but there are only 10 of them, they are highly visible, and confined to a small area of the overall world map. As such, it made for a fun new thing to do hunting them down.

Even better, if you stop to think about how you played through the main game, it is possible to work out where they are likely to be placed, and in most cases my guesses were correct. Felt like I was a proper detective using logic and reasoning to work out where to look for them. Yeah, I felt :smug: about it, but that's a nice feeling.

I think burning though this DLC pack will be my new Hallowe'en tradition. Load up, punch vampires, good times.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
gif's are fun to make. :3:

Wei Shen, Jiang Shi hunter :black101:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Yeah, driving around with a Jiang Shi in the trunk is the only way to go.

This Nightmare in North Point easter egg video was just posted by someone, and contains main story spoilers so only watch it if you have finished the main game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3jg7Jf01Ng&sns=em

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I think this DLC would have been much improved if all the music was really cheesy synth-y 80's music ala John Carpenter, but then again I say that about literally every piece of media ever made, soooo....

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

Yeah, driving around with a Jiang Shi in the trunk is the only way to go.
It's less creepy than stuffing your ex-girlfriend into the trunk :stare:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I finished the main game yesterday. I don't have much to add about the game's strengths or flaws (everything that needs to be said probably has been...) but one issue I initially had with the game I enjoy a lot more in retrospect.

Open world games in general are often criticised for a disconnect between the main character being a decent enough guy in cutscenes and the horrible behaviour a player commits as that character in gameplay. One issue in particular with Sleeping Dogs is that the cop skill tree is finished much, much earlier than the triad one, so while I was carefully avoiding civilians and property damage early in the game, by the end, I was mowing them down over the course of story missions to finish my goal quicker.

What I realised is this isn't necessarily a design flaw; it makes sense in the context of the storyline. I, as a player cared less about my cop duties because Wei, as a character, cared less about them. He was more concerned with his fellow triads like Jackie and Winston, "becoming one of them" and working his way up for his own personal reasons; hence why getting a good 'Triad Score' was still important.

I doubt this was intentional (although I don't see it as impossible) but either way, its an interesting match of storyline and gameplay mechanic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know how I did it, but I managed to grab a demon during one of the portal fights. Usually at any other time, he'd vanish and I'd be unable to do anything to him. How did I do this?!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
drat it Wei, I've had enough of your crap, I'm pulling you out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah, that reminds me: Apparently combat is disabled in your apartment, but hostiles can still follow you in. So I just went and got drinks from the fridge, changed clothes, napped and tried to take a leak while a muttering, flaming demon was following me around in my apartment.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Ghost Pig?? It's Ghost Pig. It's free.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hate to double post but Nightmare in North Point is so goddamn dumb I love it. This is exactly how goofy seasonal DLC should be handled and I like that you can unlock outfits and vehicles by completing the little side fights.

Also hilarious: trying to run down own of the big demons in your car. He teleports up onto the roof, opens the door, throws you out into the street and then runs away laughing maniacally. That's perfect.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Yodzilla posted:

Ghost Pig?? It's Ghost Pig. It's free.

Finally Wei can try his hand at some Hotline Miami re-enactment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yodzilla posted:

Hate to double post but Nightmare in North Point is so goddamn dumb I love it. This is exactly how goofy seasonal DLC should be handled and I like that you can unlock outfits and vehicles by completing the little side fights.

Also hilarious: trying to run down own of the big demons in your car. He teleports up onto the roof, opens the door, throws you out into the street and then runs away laughing maniacally. That's perfect.

Haha yes this happened to me yesterday. I was barreling towards him thinking,"Welcome to the 21st century, bitch!" and then... welp!

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I hit a random peach sword so hard whilst I was going around a corner that it spat me several hundred metres through the windscreen of my Blast. When I finally got back it was gone and apparently completed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God, the ending to Nightmare in North Point is the most amazingly, wonderfully cheesy thing I've seen from a game in a long time. I had a huge grin on my face at the end of it, what a fantastic little DLC :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know! In any other game I'd have gone 'THIS IS HORSESHIT!' but that ending is absolutely tone perfect.

Also an easter egg: Head to the Golden Koi backroom when you dont have to go there.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Leb posted:

This was probably the most entertaining and engaging game I played this year and definitely the most enjoyable Square-Enix one, not sure what they're on about

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

terrorist ambulance posted:

This was probably the most entertaining and engaging game I played this year and definitely the most enjoyable Square-Enix one, not sure what they're on about
Given the lack of sales statistics, it's probably easier to blame the foreign developer's niche game than your giant, money-sucking pit of an MMO that you just rebuilt from the ground up because everyone hated it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Given the lack of sales statistics, it's probably easier to blame the foreign developer's niche game than your giant, money-sucking pit of an MMO that you just rebuilt from the ground up because everyone hated it.

Yea, I seriously doubt Sleeping Dogs did badly. It may not have sold as well as they wanted but it definitely isn't the cause of the money loss. FFXIV was and still is a mess and they're shutting down the servers to restart everything.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It did 1.08 million on VGChartz and probably a decent chunk of sales on Steam.

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..
This game looked awesome but I opted against buying it because WoW sucked me in again at the last minute. Now that I've quit for the 4th and I'm hoping last time, I plan to pick this game up soon. Hopefully I can manage to wait for a Thanksgiving sale and save a little!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's worth the full price. Simply a fun, pretty, well-executed game that needs more love.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

isk posted:

It's worth the full price. Simply a fun, pretty, well-executed game that needs more love.

I spent around 22 hours on it to beat it, completing "most" of everything (I did all the drug busts and health shrines, didn't get all the lockboxes), and it was certainly fun and enjoyable. I did buy it on sale though, I don't think I would have spent the full $60 on this game, a little too short for my taste. I would have liked some more cop cases to be honest, that would have been an easy way to add a few more hours to the game, and could have been some good stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I forget exactly how much I paid for it, but there was some kind of ridiculous sale shortly after it came out and I think it cost me about $30. It was fantastic value for that price, I've gotten 41 hours of gameplay out of it and there are still a couple of events/favors I haven't completed yet, and it's just a blast to run around getting into fights with thugs/going to the fight clubs.

This certainly isn't the best game I've ever played (or even played this year) but it is a hell of a lot of fun that obviously had a lot of love poured into it. I really hope United Front don't get cast up as a sacrificial lamb for Square-Enix, who to their credit are the ones who saved this game from limbo in the first place.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

It did 1.08 million on VGChartz and probably a decent chunk of sales on Steam.

VGChartz is not a reputable source for sales figures unfortunately.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm doing a mission with Old Salty Crab for the first time, he really does have the best loving lines in the game.

"You're pretty AND smart!"
"Huh?"
"Heh I said uh..you're pretty smart."
"Oh. Alright. You too Salty."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fuuuuuck! The straw hat? IT'S THIS HAT:

But you cannot pair it with the Lightning warrior outfit to complete the look. Why would you do this United Front? WHY? :negative:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That was awesome, I wish more devs would give us short, cheap dlc that has some actual content and effort involved. This is like, the best type of dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I'll never pay for cosmetic DLC. I feel like if I'm paying for something I need something new to actually do.

• Locked thread