Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jefferoo posted:

Otacon, do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?

Why am I suddenly cringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

Who is this in the poster? It's nice looking and all, but I seriously have no idea who it's depicting.

Kinda has the features of Liv Tyler, but I'm not sure. I'll admit I had the same response when I first saw it, trying to find recognizable features and only really finding the Tree. For better or worse, a lot of his other work is done in a similar way.

EDIT: It just hit me, the Lord of the Rings poster looks like a medieval tapestry

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 1, 2012

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why am I suddenly cringing.

Next Bond movie is giant death robots and it's going to be the greatest thing ever.

JAAAAAAMEEEESSSS. BROOOOOTHERRRRRR!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

DKWildz posted:

Kinda has the features of Liv Tyler, but I'm not sure. I'll admit I had the same response when I first saw it, trying to find recognizable features and only really finding the Tree. For better or worse, a lot of his other work is done in a similar way.

EDIT: It just hit me, the Lord of the Rings poster looks like a medieval tapestry

Yeah, it's Liv Tyler.

Sorry, but I don't really want a likeness of Liv Tyler hanging on my wall

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Has Jeremy Renner ever been in something good and, more importantly, been good in something? The guys got a lot of fans and a lot of opportunistic in the business, for some reason. He's about as bland and uninteresting as they get.

He absolutely rules in 28 Weeks Later. He's very good in The Hurt Locker and The Town also.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

He absolutely rules in 28 Weeks Later. He's very good in The Hurt Locker and The Town also.

Everybody forgets SWAT :colbert:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't the premise of Van Helsing that Dracula felt no emotion whatsoever, and him not feeling any emotion made him really angry and sad?

That movie is one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen.

It's about how vampires can't have children because they're born already dead, and they think werewolf juice might fix it or something. Then it turns out it won't, because that would be ridiculous. Van Helsing was great, especially as a comedy. It had Dracula, the Frankenstein monster AND werewolves in it too, which is more anachronistic than I think my mind has room for.

It's been awhile since I've seen it, though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It was that but with using Frankenstein's monster and using electricity to power his undead babies. Apparently feeling void of emotion doesn't stop Dracula hamming it up. loving funniest film I've seen for a while.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm pretty sure that was Kryten from Red Dwarf, dude, not Frankenstein.

I mean, it wouldn't make any goddamn sense otherwise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also I'm pretty sure a wooden carriage falls off a cliff and explodes.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baron von Eevl posted:

Even better: they jump a ravine with a carriage just like a car going off a ramp

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Baron von Eevl posted:

Started reading this page from the bottom and I knew straight away what film this was about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Farbtoner posted:

Even better: they jump a ravine with a carriage just like a car going off a ramp

The important thing is that the carriage is drawn by Transylvanian horses, which nothing can outrun. Things go wrong when some werewolves then outrun the Transylvanian horses.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Are there any movie posters (fan/Mondo-made or otherwise) that do something interesting with the symbolism of the film? Something that doesn't just look good and work as advertising, but that intersects with the story's themes and might even affect your interpretation of the film?
The only one that comes to mind for me right now is the Alien poster.

Fairly obvious birth metaphor, which fits nicely with film's major theme of the trauma of leaving the comfort of the womb - the poster is showing you you'll literally experience birth into a terrifying and strange world in the film.

I was just wondering if there were any posters that really stuck out for you guys like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

frozenpeas posted:

I'm sure this movie will be as terrible as every other movie John Carpenter has made since Vampires but the poster is quite striking, I think.

At first I thought the arm hold the skull was the skull's spine and it was bursting from her stomach, that would be a better poster.

Edit: As for Badass fairy-tale movies, Freeway kinda fits. I wouldn't call it badass necessarily but it's certainly gritty and creepy.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 2, 2012

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

tvb posted:

Everybody forgets SWAT :colbert:

Everybody forgets Senior Trip.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Hbomberguy posted:

Are there any movie posters (fan/Mondo-made or otherwise) that do something interesting with the symbolism of the film? Something that doesn't just look good and work as advertising, but that intersects with the story's themes and might even affect your interpretation of the film?
I was just wondering if there were any posters that really stuck out for you guys like that.

I would say some of the unused Prometheus posters worked in that way (a shame they weren't used). Here are two examples:

The first one really gets across the shlocky grand guignol aspects of the film, and having Shaw's eyes open even as she is suffocated perfectly captures her character.

The second and third reference the iconic Alien series posters but re-contexualize their imagery, just like the movie revisits the visuals and themes of the earlier films but to different ends.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I would say some of the unused Prometheus posters worked in that way (a shame they weren't used). Here are two examples:

The first one really gets across the shlocky grand guignol aspects of the film, and having Shaw's eyes open even as she is suffocated perfectly captures her character.

The second and third reference the iconic Alien series posters but re-contexualize their imagery, just like the movie revisits the visuals and themes of the earlier films but to different ends.

The second and third designs look very "straight to DVD", not quite Asylum levels of bad, but approaching them. The first one is quite striking though and I definitely would have wanted a copy if I'd liked the film.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

The second and third designs look very "straight to DVD" (not quite Asylum levels of bad, but approaching it) but the first one is quite striking and I definitely would have wanted a copy if I'd liked the film.

Yeah, they don't look quite as polished as they could. They're still better than the actual DVD cover with its teal glowing people just floating there and, in person, really obvious JPEG artifacts.

There were other posters in the style of that first one in the film's thread, but I can't seem to find them right now.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah, they don't look quite as polished as they could. They're still better than the actual DVD cover with its teal glowing people just floating there and, in person, really obvious JPEG artifacts.

THAT's what they went with?! :stare:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

It's just the DVD cover, the special edition Blu-Ray is much better. They also left off any special features, so I guess they really wanted the DVD to be unappealing next to the Blu-Ray.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love the 3D BD cover. It's holographic, and quite mesmerizing to view in real life. I like that you can just barely see the humanoid figure through the holographic interface.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I also like the standard blu-ray cover.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
/\/\/\ eh, not so much (but I really didn't like the design of the Engineers)

The MSJ posted:

I love the 3D BD cover. It's holographic, and quite mesmerizing to view in real life. I like that you can just barely see the humanoid figure through the holographic interface.

This is stunning though. drat you Prometheus.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The standard Engineer head one doesn't really tell you anything about the film. At least the special edition cover evokes a sense of awe.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

This is terribly executed but I love this one. Though it probably reveals too much to outright state that all the marble statues of gods from antiquity were actually of these guys.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Interesting that the first example the thread comes up with is made by the same director, exists in the same canon as Alien, and recontextualises imagery from Alien. That said Prometheus is currently hot on everyone's minds so that might be one reason why. It seems like they went through a lot of different poster designs. I wonder if different people came up with each of them, or if Ridley Scott at some point threw about fifty different ideas at the poster people and just said 'make all of them.'

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The rest of the Prometheus concept posters are here, by the way.

Some are great. Some are terrible.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

YOU DON'T EVOLVE FOR 4.5 BILLION YEARS WITHOUT MAKING A FEW ENEMIES

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Y'know what Prometheus could've used?

Pinhead.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Gonz posted:

Y'know what Prometheus could've used?

Oh, oh! I know this one!

A main character with a consistent accent?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Oh, oh! I know this one!

A main character with a consistent accent?

That, too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They used Handsome Squidward. Does that count for something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

There were other posters in the style of that first one in the film's thread, but I can't seem to find them right now.

Oh hey, a new Firefly movie.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Lord Krangdar posted:

Vickers is an android a realdoll

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, this movie stars three extremely good looking people, lets make them unrecognizable on the cover!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

muscles like this? posted:

Hey, this movie stars three extremely good looking people, lets make them unrecognizable on the cover!

No joke, who has the arrogance to think they can improve Theron? It looks nothing like her. Fassbender looks weird too and Rapace has some serious Roswell grey vibes going on.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 2, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yeah, Theron and Rapace are looking pretty Alien. :madmax:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Maybe it's some kind of extremely clever meta-commentary that of the three of them, David looks more human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

casa de mi padre posted:

YOU DON'T EVOLVE FOR 4.5 BILLION YEARS WITHOUT MAKING A FEW ENEMIES
Oh come the gently caress on, that's literally science fiction book cover.