Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I randomly pulled up What Dreams May Come because it had Robin Williams and I was tired of watching Toys.

I was not prepared for that :qq:.

Don't let this discourage the rest of you from watching What Dreams May Come. It's a sad movie but it's a fantastic movie. Robin Williams at his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Bored posted:

I agree with that, but it took soooo long to get there. Jessica Biel is generally a pretty competent actress. She just unfortunately got her start on 7th heaven. I'll always respect her for how she got out of her contract with that show, though. It was pretty clever.

Was there anything more than the photoshoot she did with Gear? I googled around but couldn't really find anything relevant.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Volume posted:

Don't let this discourage the rest of you from watching What Dreams May Come. It's a sad movie but it's a fantastic movie. Robin Williams at his best.

Oh, yeah, no, it's a really good movie (and the visual effects are top-notch) it's just sad as hell.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

MindlessHavok posted:

Was there anything more than the photoshoot she did with Gear? I googled around but couldn't really find anything relevant.

Not that I'm aware of. Just that photoshoot. That's why it was clever. For some reason, I had it in my head that it was fully nude. I heard or read about it a few years after it happened. Showing her boobs so that she can leave a terrible show. Awesome.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Check out "Exit Humanity". It's a Civil War era zombie movie that mixes live action and animation. I really enjoyed it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

10 Beers posted:

Check out "Exit Humanity". It's a Civil War era zombie movie that mixes live action and animation. I really enjoyed it.

Only if you watch "Klown"

You know my sense of humor, you'll enjoy it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Volume posted:

I hate, hate, hate his comedic acting most of the time, but give him a good role like that one or 24 Hour Photo and he knocks it out of the loving park every time. That movie is overwhelmingly depressing, though, but everything about it is beautiful.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Only if you watch "Klown"

You know my sense of humor, you'll enjoy it.
It's been in my queue for a while!

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Pick posted:

I randomly pulled up What Dreams May Come because it had Robin Williams and I was tired of watching Toys.

I was not prepared for that :qq:.

I had to watch this movie in a life, death, and dying course at 8am. For the whole week (short classes). The movie literally ruined my days, it's super loving sad.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Are you guys watching some ultra sad, alternate ending, version of What Dreams May Come? I thought it had some really depressing and sad moments but they would always be countered by a really heart warming piece of dialogue or flashback. Also the ending was :3:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

beato posted:

Are you guys watching some ultra sad, alternate ending, version of What Dreams May Come? I thought it had some really depressing and sad moments but they would always be countered by a really heart warming piece of dialogue or flashback. Also the ending was :3:
The Cry-tearsian version?

I'm so sorry.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

10 Beers posted:

The Cry-tearsian version?

I'm so sorry.

Wouldn't it be the Cry-tearian version?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

OK Octopus posted:

Oh my God, you guys. The post-apocalyptic DDR movie, "The FP," is on insant. Oh my god.

you have got to be loving kidding me

go watch this right now

RIGHT NOW

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

casual poster posted:

Wouldn't it be the Cry-tearian version?
Yeah, dammit. I realized that when I got to work this morning.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I watched Troll Hunter yesterday. It was pretty well done for what it was. I like that they didn't use a handycam, but an actual camera. Only thing is, going for a "We found this footage and no one's located the people in it," vibe, there were a few things that sort of remove you from the idea that it "really happened".
Anyone have recommendations for horror/ci-fi movies that are comedic (Slither) or show little to none of the monster (Signs before the end sequence)? Ghosts of Mars looks like an unintentional laugh out loud riot. Considering putting that in the queue.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pope Mobile posted:

I watched Troll Hunter yesterday. It was pretty well done for what it was. I like that they didn't use a handycam, but an actual camera. Only thing is, going for a "We found this footage and no one's located the people in it," vibe, there were a few things that sort of remove you from the idea that it "really happened".
Anyone have recommendations for horror/ci-fi movies that are comedic (Slither) or show little to none of the monster (Signs before the end sequence)? Ghosts of Mars looks like an unintentional laugh out loud riot. Considering putting that in the queue.

Ghosts of Mars is more western than horror. If you don't like "circle the wagon train" movies like John Carpenter does, you probably won't enjoy it.

You might check out The Host It's a Korean monster movie that's pretty funny.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
If anyone is looking for a horrible horror marathon for halloween, check out Hellraiser. All 7 movies are on there, 4-6 are some of the worst things I have ever seen, haven't seen 7 yet.

FYI: The 2nd one is called Hellbound, took me awhile to find it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I watched a movie called Tuff Turf with a very young James Spader and Robert Downey Jr. You should all watch it just to see that RDJr has basically always played the same character.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

casual poster posted:

If anyone is looking for a horrible horror marathon for halloween, check out Hellraiser. All 7 movies are on there, 4-6 are some of the worst things I have ever seen, haven't seen 7 yet.

FYI: The 2nd one is called Hellbound, took me awhile to find it.

Theres actually 9 Hellraiser movies. I always thought they stopped at the 3rd one for a long time until I saw the cover of the 9th one. I don't know how this series kept going. And is still going.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hellraiser is one of my favorites, because not only does it do the normal horror franchise thing of making it always hinge on people being stupid, but they always hinge on people being so stupid that they go through an elaborate puzzle of some kind usually fully aware of the legends and stories around the puzzle, for no gain whatsoever other than to do the puzzle.

Hellraiser is a series where basically everyone deserves to get slashered.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Glitterbomber posted:

Hellraiser is one of my favorites, because not only does it do the normal horror franchise thing of making it always hinge on people being stupid, but they always hinge on people being so stupid that they go through an elaborate puzzle of some kind usually fully aware of the legends and stories around the puzzle, for no gain whatsoever other than to do the puzzle.

Hellraiser is a series where basically everyone deserves to get slashered.

I still get freaked out by Hellraiser 1 and 2. 2 had some of my favorite lines..."Your suffering will be legendary, EVEN IN HELL!" and "And to think...I hesitated."

Will never forget them...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Saw Get the Gringo the other day, not bad. Mel Gibson as an aging career criminal who gets locked up in a Mexican superjail. Fairly standard heist/revenge type thing, reminiscent of classic Western stories, though the narration was kind of weak.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Tucker and Dale vs Evil is a pretty awesome movie and was not what I was expecting going in.

I think it's more fun to start this movie not knowing what to expect, so I spoil tagged the description.

quote:

Two lovable West Virginian hillbillies, are headed to their "fixer-upper" vacation cabin to drink some beer, do some fishin', and have a good time. But when they run into a group of preppy college kids who assume from their looks that they must be in-bred, chainsaw wielding killers, Tucker & Dale's vacation takes a bloody & hilarious turn for the worse.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465522/

Ramsus has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Oct 30, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched a Civil War era zombie flick called Exit Humanity. It has some glaring flaws but I still enjoyed it.

Six years after the American Civil War a former soldier, Edward Young, tries to survive the zombie apocalypse as told by his diary and sketches; narrated by one of his descendants. The film begins in 1865 when dead soldiers stand up and attack the living. Armed with muzzleloaders and cavalry swords the war ravaged population is quickly decimated. The first third of the movie is very good. The scenes with Young (played by Mark Gibson) alone or with his horse are well acted and well written. Once Young meets other survivors the script often feels rushed and sometimes a bit cheesy, actress Dee Wallace' lines especially so. There are a few other issues: The scenery doesn't look much like Tennessee; which of course it isn't as it was filmed in Ontario. Young's repeating rifle is a few decades early for the setting but I can live with it. Normally I would criticize a zombie film for trying to explain the cause because explanations usually seem dumb but here it is handled very well and I have no complaint. Despite some obvious flaws it was a sincere effort and it kept my attention.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
Has anyone posted these? Weird "test" videos. Have fun writing stupid reviews.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Example_Mixed_FN_Show_en-US/70259793
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Example_ATT_Movie_en-US/70259774

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Had I realized Sam Neill was in Tudors I'd have started watching it sooner.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Pope Mobile posted:

Had I realized Sam Neill was in Tudors I'd have started watching it sooner.

The first season is pretty good, but it goes quickly downhill after that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
About 137 people recommended Luther and I finally got around to watching ep1, hopefully the rest are this good because the first one is rivetting.

Edit, if they're not, don't tell me.

wormil has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Nov 2, 2012

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Psych season 6 was added today! I've been waiting for this for months :3:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

wormil posted:

About 137 people recommended Luther and I finally got around to watching ep1, hopefully the rest are this good because the first one is rivetting.

They're all pretty good

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

wormil posted:

I've had 3 people tell me that in the last month. I guess your post is a sign from the netflix gods to seriously start watching this show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bonzaisushi posted:

I've had 3 people tell me that in the last month. I guess your post is a sign from the netflix gods to seriously start watching this show.

I'm about 1/2 way through season two and while it is very, very good it is also kinda depressing. I've taken to watching an episode of Luther followed by a comedy. One complaint that applies primarily to season one is that all the cops except Luther are idiots which becomes tedious very quickly although they fix that up a bit in season two. One other issue is that the police take a very long time (15+ minutes) to arrive once called to a scene. Maybe that is normal for London or very large cities but in my experience in an actual emergency they are on scene within a minute or two. But other than those knitpicks it's a fantastic drama.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

wormil posted:

I'm about 1/2 way through season two and while it is very, very good it is also kinda depressing. I've taken to watching an episode of Luther followed by a comedy. One complaint that applies primarily to season one is that all the cops except Luther are idiots which becomes tedious very quickly although they fix that up a bit in season two. One other issue is that the police take a very long time (15+ minutes) to arrive once called to a scene. Maybe that is normal for London or very large cities but in my experience in an actual emergency they are on scene within a minute or two. But other than those knitpicks it's a fantastic drama.

I'm half way through the first episode and i am really digging it. Thanks for the recommendation!

My only complain is that its a bit tough to understand idris at times, hes a brilliant actor though.

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004
I'm a big fan of British crime dramas, so I'm excited that "Cadfael" had more episodes added. I also enjoy "Inspector Lewis", "Foyle's War", and "Luther".

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

wormil posted:

One other issue is that the police take a very long time (15+ minutes) to arrive once called to a scene. Maybe that is normal for London or very large cities but in my experience in an actual emergency they are on scene within a minute or two. But other than those knitpicks it's a fantastic drama.

I saw someone get stabbed once in my hometown and it took the police 15 minutes to show up and the ambulance 25.

LtAldoRaine
Oct 4, 2012
I did not watch "Hunger Games," and instead watched Battle Royale:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70004548?strkid=724192497_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70004548

Its Japanese and freaking amazing. Just a bunch of schoolchildren forced to murder each other brutally and comically. Can't recommend it enough. I also just saw Battle Royale 2 is also available...I guess I know what my plans are for the rest of the afternoon.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal" is on instant. It is fantastic! I did not read the book, but there hasn't been any lull in action like the other disc world movies.

Also, if I need a Halloween costume next year, I'm gonna have to make a postmaster costume. That hat is badass!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bonzaisushi posted:

My only complain is that its a bit tough to understand idris at times, hes a brilliant actor though.

I turn on subtitles. Amuka-Bird is the one who gives me the most trouble, I can't understand a word she says.

Flippycunt posted:

I saw someone get stabbed once in my hometown and it took the police 15 minutes to show up and the ambulance 25.

Maybe they are just exceptionally quick around here.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

LtAldoRaine posted:

I did not watch "Hunger Games," and instead watched Battle Royale:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70004548?strkid=724192497_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70004548

Its Japanese and freaking amazing. Just a bunch of schoolchildren forced to murder each other brutally and comically. Can't recommend it enough. I also just saw Battle Royale 2 is also available...I guess I know what my plans are for the rest of the afternoon.

Caution: Battle Royale 2 is a steep decline from the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Just saw that Manhattan is now up. Hopefully this means more Woody Allen movies will be made available in the future, because the current selection is pretty barebones.

• Locked thread