Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Smuckles posted:

I doubt they'll ever go back to one-player-at-a-time Mario like in SMB3. I want to like NSMBU, I really do. I just hate getting jumped on or pushed into obstacles by the other player. :smith:

I understand it's an illogical approach, given that all games are typically simultaneous now, but a guy can dream.

They could have so much fun with the idea though. Like a player who does well on a level could get an item that handicaps the other player's turn, like adding more enemies or halving the time they have to complete the level.

You could store em and use em all at once on the castle/ship levels :getin:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just sae on Nintendo's facebook they are premiering their US marketing tomorrow. I was wondering when they'd start advertising.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I just sae on Nintendo's facebook they are premiering their US marketing tomorrow. I was wondering when they'd start advertising.

They need to have that direct already. 17 drat days.

Also that's pretty funny. I mean what's the point? The thing is loving completely sold out. I feel sorry for Gamestop employees who will have to deal with fresh hordes of parents saying "What do you mean you're all out?! They just announced it!"

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I was under the impression all GameStop pre-orders were sold out, but not Wii U stock in general. Even if GameStop is backlogged a few months, I know some stores (like Target) don't even take pre-orders.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Mennonites Revenge posted:

I was under the impression all GameStop pre-orders were sold out, but not Wii U stock in general. Even if GameStop is backlogged a few months, I know some stores (like Target) don't even take pre-orders.

Actually Target is taking pre-orders...kind of. They sold reservation cards for $1 dollar for regular and $5 dollars for deluxe. Now if the individual Targets actually hold the systems for those people who paid for the Wii U's to be reserved is a whole different issue. Apparently the cards say Target will hold the Wii U for 7 days, but some employees have still been saying it's first come first serve and some have said if you have a reservation card they will move you to the head of the line.

Basically it sounds like a huge clusterfuck and i'm glad I pre-ordered from gamestop.

Edit: And general consensus is Target is sold out of the reservation cards. I stopped by two in my area when i was looking for the new Harvest Moon on 3DS and neither had any.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The new commercial is out. It's... a commercial. The main featured game is U Sing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

The new commercial is out. It's... a commercial. The main featured game is U Sing.

The UK gets a great montage of every game coming out. We got U Sing.

America.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Here's the full commercial and it actually shows off just about everything. If you saw a SiNG Party one on TV, that probably means various individual games also have commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Specifically it shows Sing Party, NSMBU, True Crime Streets of Lego City, and Takamaru's Ninja Castle.

The one you posted is the one I saw, just seemed like Sing Party was the most featured.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The music made me angry.

Also Nintendo, if you want to appeal to older audiences show people older then 10 playing it jeez. To be on the positive side, I did like the giant U thing.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Nintendo wants to appeal to older audiences, but does NoA?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The music made me angry.

Also Nintendo, if you want to appeal to older audiences show people older then 10 playing it jeez. To be on the positive side, I did like the giant U thing.

All the ones that are sold and preordered out already have been bought by people older than ten. The core gamer crowd already knows everything there is available on the system.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

MrLonghair posted:

Probably, they're really embracing ZombiU, and promoted Arkham City and Call of Duty a lot at their conferences ever since E3. They're surely working lots of deals to get those developers and senior staff to come applaud the Wii U capabilities.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chronojam posted:

Probably, they're really embracing ZombiU, and promoted Arkham City and Call of Duty a lot at their conferences ever since E3. They're surely working lots of deals to get those developers and senior staff to come applaud the Wii U capabilities.

It was also just the first commercial and focused more on the E games.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

Older audiences should get it to watch movies according to the commercial :effort:

Or play with their kids if they have any.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

japtor posted:

Older audiences should get it to watch movies according to the commercial :effort:

So they are going the Microsoft route I guess. Media center first and games second!

But seriously, has there ever been successful advertising in video games for the 20-35 demographic? If Nintendo released a commercial of a bunch of college kids eating ramen playing the Wii U with dubstep playing in the background or a dad with a 3 year old trying to steal the controller then everyone would be complaining about how blatant Nintendo is being trying to target an older audience. It seems like a no win situation.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

katkillad2 posted:

So they are going the Microsoft route I guess. Media center first and games second!

But seriously, has there ever been successful advertising in video games for the 20-35 demographic? If Nintendo released a commercial of a bunch of college kids eating ramen playing the Wii U with dubstep playing in the background or a dad with a 3 year old trying to steal the controller then everyone would be complaining about how blatant Nintendo is being trying to target an older audience. It seems like a no win situation.

The best way to "win" at advertising is to not be amazingly bad at it. The dubstep commercial you described is JUST AS BAD as the one we actually got. The focus isn't the real issue here. The advertising should be able to build hype about the system and the games and features it will have. This does nothing for anyone. People who are buying the system at launch were going to buy it REGARDLESS of the advertising. Reggie could appear on TV shouting "And for the first time ever: gently caress YOU" on constant repeat for a minute straight and those people will still buy it.

Nothing in the full ad shows this renewed focus on recapturing gamers who fell off the bus. It does, however, have really bad music.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I saw the Wii U kiosk got installed at the nearby GameStop. There are zero playable games, and the tablet is already irreparably damaged. Such a bummer, because I'm really on the fence as to what to do with my fully paid off preorder.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I did like the giant U thing.

Cabin in the Woods U

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Matlock posted:

I saw the Wii U kiosk got installed at the nearby GameStop. There are zero playable games, and the tablet is already irreparably damaged. Such a bummer, because I'm really on the fence as to what to do with my fully paid off preorder.

I was at mine today and it had the Rayman demo and videos for everything else(so the same as nintendo world). My buddy said they're probably not even going to do an early open for it let alone a midnight launch so 10am Sunday it is! For the record, I am fine with this.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Saturniid19 posted:

Cabin in the Woods U

People like zombies? Make a game where you have to carefully trap a group of friends and have them killed by zombies, with hormones and climate control at your disposal!

If you fail, Cthulhu is summoned.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

Reggie could appear on TV shouting "And for the first time ever: gently caress YOU" on constant repeat for a minute straight and those people will still buy it.

I'm not going to lie, i'd like to see that commercial.

You're kind of hitting on what I was trying to imply. People overly interested in video games and "hardcore" players have probably already made up their mind at this point. A commercial showing off Assassin's Creed, Arkham City and/or Zombie U probably isn't going to change their minds as they can get 2 out of 3 of those games on systems they probably already own. No advertising is going to appease the "hardcore" gamers at this point and anything Nintendo does is just more fodder for them to claim how it's a baby system for casuals.

I guess my point is, I don't think any kind of advertising is going to change the minds of the vocal eternally disappointed and any attempts to do so would be met with just as much criticism.

Nintendo needs to tell the world who hasn't been paying attention they have a console coming out. To me, that was a nintendo rear end nintendo advertisement and it didn't bother me nor did I think it was "good", but it got the point across. It showed mario, showed party and co-op focused games and showed the various ways you can use the gamepad.

You could make an entire thread out of the gamers.txt in the youtube comments. This one is my favorite, sincere and from the heart:

quote:

Nintendo...please. Stop failing. I loved you all my childhood, but now we've drifted so far apart. If you don't show off the hardcore games, you WILL fall.

Also it's scary how similar that Wii U commercial is to the first kinect video in regards to content...even right down to adults watching movies. Here it is for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qlHoxPioM ( Also I feel sorry for humanity that 11 million people actually watched that... )

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

katkillad2 posted:

Nintendo needs to tell the world who hasn't been paying attention they have a console coming out.

This is key. At work today, I asked around to see if anyone other than me was going to try and get one. Only one guy even knew it was a thing at all, and he writes for Unwinnable in his spare time. Everyone else was surprised to learn that Nintendo was making another system. I work at a place that has a decent number of young (23-30) people, so it's not as though the ages aren't appropriate.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Not sure about other Walmarts; but mine cut off their Layaway preorders; at Ten. Not sure when it happened. Lady behind the counter even counted the preorder tickets.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Goons in Australia: Try out the Wii U at Nintendo's Wii U Experience Stores, popping up at these times and places:

http://www.nintendo.com.au/wiiu/?try-it-now.html

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
King George Square in Brisbane is an interesting choice, I would have thought having it a little closer to the retail shops so that you can get people going in and ordering them. (Assuming the pre-orders are still going)

Anyway I just bit the bullet and pre-ordered a black one, sure I got pretty burnt by the Wii, didn't really play it much after Super Mario Galaxy 2, but the addition of the pro controller and a lot more 3rd party publishers hopefully means that a better choice of games for the system.

$430 isn't exactly breaking the bank either. I'm actually quite excited now!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Goons in Australia: Try out the Wii U at Nintendo's Wii U Experience Stores, popping up at these times and places:

http://www.nintendo.com.au/wiiu/?try-it-now.html

I got the email as well. Why the hell did the pick Fountain Gate for the Victoria one? Usually when they do stuff like this it goes to the EB store that's right in the middle of Melbourne's main street. Hell, the place has a dedicated "Nintendo Experience" section on the second floor so you'd think that'd be the best place to put it.

(For the non-Aussies, Fountain Gate is basically a suburb shopping center).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got the email as well. Why the hell did the pick Fountain Gate for the Victoria one? Usually when they do stuff like this it goes to the EB store that's right in the middle of Melbourne's main street. Hell, the place has a dedicated "Nintendo Experience" section on the second floor so you'd think that'd be the best place to put it.

(For the non-Aussies, Fountain Gate is basically a suburb shopping center).
To attract people that would never go to an EB?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

Not sure about other Walmarts; but mine cut off their Layaway preorders; at Ten. Not sure when it happened. Lady behind the counter even counted the preorder tickets.

I had some Walmart weirdness too. They sent me my Wii Remote about 2 weeks after I ordered the thing. All's cool. It's black and shiny and I've been using it to play my Wii.

Then this weekend I get an e-mail from them saying there's a problem with my order and I should login and fix it. I never made an account on their stupid website.

Time to call them up! They said that the thing I ordered "Didn't ship yet," so the order had been cancelled. :raise: Yes... the thing that's not out yet? Yes... mmm hmm.

I spent about an hour on the phone with the sales rep. She didn't know what the hell was going on, but she was very nice and helpful. I re-ordered the thing over the phone with her and I think all is well now. She even comped the shipping for the "inconvenience." Hey, sweet, that's 15 bucks I don't have to pay! Good on you, lady!

The other day I got the cancellation e-mail. For some reason, they had the release date listed as 18 November 2011. Hmm... yes, that could be the problem, mayhaps.

I'm hoping I don't have any more problems. I really really want one of these. I'm projected to get one by 26 November. Let's hope!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Good luck, buddy. Say what you will, but at least places like EB Games are generally good at managing console releases and preorders (Or at least in Australia, they are). Also, you'll still get it before it comes out in PAL-land so you've got that going for you.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I had some Walmart weirdness too. They sent me my Wii Remote about 2 weeks after I ordered the thing. All's cool. It's black and shiny and I've been using it to play my Wii.

Then this weekend I get an e-mail from them saying there's a problem with my order and I should login and fix it. I never made an account on their stupid website.

Time to call them up! They said that the thing I ordered "Didn't ship yet," so the order had been cancelled. :raise: Yes... the thing that's not out yet? Yes... mmm hmm.

I spent about an hour on the phone with the sales rep. She didn't know what the hell was going on, but she was very nice and helpful. I re-ordered the thing over the phone with her and I think all is well now. She even comped the shipping for the "inconvenience." Hey, sweet, that's 15 bucks I don't have to pay! Good on you, lady!

The other day I got the cancellation e-mail. For some reason, they had the release date listed as 18 November 2011. Hmm... yes, that could be the problem, mayhaps.

I'm hoping I don't have any more problems. I really really want one of these. I'm projected to get one by 26 November. Let's hope!

I got an email from Walmart telling me that the shipping date had been changed. I was pretty bummed when I saw the first line in my email preview. Turns out they were just letting me know that the release date had changed from "18 December 2011" to the correct release date. I'm wondering if they had to do some weirdness with the release date for it in their system, to allow the remotes in the bundles (which are already released) to ship as soon as it was ordered?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Looks like bestbuy has posted which stores are doing midnight releases: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii-U/Wii-U-Consoles/pcmcat274600050016.c?id=pcmcat274600050016

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Looks like bestbuy has posted which stores are doing midnight releases: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii-U/Wii-U-Consoles/pcmcat274600050016.c?id=pcmcat274600050016

Man. gently caress that mess. I'll pick my poo poo up calmly at noon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Walking to your secluded car at 12:30am with a scarce piece of technology sounds like a great idea to me. :downs:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Walking to your secluded car at 12:30am with a scarce piece of technology sounds like a great idea to me. :downs:

Walking anywhere with a big bag in your hands at that hour is not a great idea.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
You don't have to tell me twice guys, going outside is scary as poo poo. Who knows what could happen. :ohdear:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

absolutely anything posted:

You don't have to tell me twice guys, going outside is scary as poo poo. Who knows what could happen. :ohdear:

Absolutely anything.

I'm just gonna pick mine up when the store opens around here. There's never been problems where I live so not worried at all.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

You must be so loving cool in real life and ride around a motorcycle while doing drugs.

I just rewatched the dubstep commercial and yeah, they're clearly focusing on people who don't know the U exists yet.

Anyone who wants the ~real games~ has either pre-ordered it long ago or is attached to their current hd console/PC and have no interest.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I'll be standing by to see what the story is on digital releases. I'm wondering if DNS or VPN masking will work too. Accessing the EU and JP stores on PS3 and 360 is comparatively easy, so hope it's the same on the Wii U. Hopefully one of you can do a quick test on this and see what the deal is. Either way, I unfortunately don't expect full games to be up on Nintendo's store, which makes it a bit of a moot point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

skywalker6705 posted:

Either way, I unfortunately don't expect full games to be up on Nintendo's store, which makes it a bit of a moot point for me.

But this is exactly what they are going to do. In fact Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for Wii U is going to be available digitally, and in Japan at least it'll be cheaper.

Unless I read what you're saying wrong.

• Locked thread