Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Sjurygg posted:

Got a shitload of raw cashews, as in a couple of kilos, at least. What to do with them before they go stale? Cakes, candies?

Shitloads of kung po whatever?

Splizwarf posted:

I rinse because I really don't like sticky rice.

If rinsing rice makes it less sticky (and that makes sense to me, since you're washing off loose surface starch, yes?), why does the best sticky rice I've ever made involve loads of rinsing? I don't really put much effort into rinsing rice that should be loose either. What's going on here? Food science people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
From what I understand, stickiness depends much more on cultivar than rinsing. I mean, it's rice. Most of the starch is inside it.

You rinse to:

1. Clean off the rice -- there may be husks/dust/etc. still sticking to the grains.

2. Make it whiter.

3. "purify" the flavor (cleaner rice means more rice taste and less "Other" taste).

A lot of modern rices don't need to be washed -- or even SHOULDN'T be washed since they've been coated with vitamins/nutrients to make the rice a bit more nutritious. Or, I guess, if you can taste (and dislike) that kind of thing, washing it will clean it off.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

An observer posted:

Oops, I meant like italian pasta. I've actually been eating stir fry for like the last 4 days. As much as I'd like to have more, I think it's time for something else. Thanks though! :shobon:

I like to sauté the broccoli in a bit of olive oil with garlic, black pepper, and sea salt and just toss it with pasta. It's super simple and really tasty.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Anyone have a good pumpkin soup recipe? Tis the season of pumpkins and I love a good soup.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cut into bite size pieces and saute with a bite size pasta like orecchiette or farfalle and some butter, add capers, some minced anchovy, a bit of lemon juice or something. You can always make a veggie lasagna, too. You can puree some cooked broccoli and make pasta with it, too.

This sounds really good and I'm gonna save it for when I've got anchovies!

RazorBunny posted:

I like to sauté the broccoli in a bit of olive oil with garlic, black pepper, and sea salt and just toss it with pasta. It's super simple and really tasty.

This is exactly what I ended up doing. Thanks peeps!

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Sjurygg posted a recipe in the "Awesome Recipes with few ingredients" thread which is pretty drat amazing:

quote:

Orecchiette alla pugliese (Little ears Apulia-style):

- Boil broccoli florets
- Soften anchovy fillets in lots of good olive oil with some garlic and red pepper flakes over slow heat, add boiled broccoli and keep heating until broccoli starts to break up
- Fold in boiled orecchiette pasta, heat through

Yea, it's that simple, and that loving delicious. I made it for all my room mates with pork chops. We could have foregone the pork chops...

Anchovies
May 12, 2011

by T. Finninho

An observer posted:

This sounds really good and I'm gonna save it for when I've got anchovies!

Oh god :ohdear:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

An observer posted:

Hey, what's a good pasta+broccoli recipe that isn't creamy?

e: Hah! Beaten. :D

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

GabrielAisling posted:

Anyone have a good pumpkin soup recipe? Tis the season of pumpkins and I love a good soup.

2 cups broth or stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 small sweet onion, minced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp butter
3/4 cup light cream
1 1/2 – 2 cups of pureed winter squash (or 1 8-oz can of pumpkin, unspiced)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in the bottom of a 3-qt or larger pot. Increase the heat to medium-high and add in the onion. Cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add in the squash and then the broth, stirring thoroughly. Add in the spices and then turn off the heat. Stir in the cream carefully, and serve hot.

You can also add in the spices when you're cooking down the onion, but last time I did that I burned the nutmeg and it tasted like rear end on fire :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Those guys sound serious. You might wanna get out of town, lay low for a while.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for steak tartare? Though, I want it in a specific way: In Flanders, Belgium, it's called préparé and is quite a lurid orange compared to the more muted browns of the recipes I've seen online.

^ This

I was wondering if anyone knows of a recipe to make it to emulate that style of the dish?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Experto Crede posted:

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for steak tartare? Though, I want it in a specific way: In Flanders, Belgium, it's called préparé and is quite a lurid orange compared to the more muted browns of the recipes I've seen online.

^ This

I was wondering if anyone knows of a recipe to make it to emulate that style of the dish?

To me, that color looks like "filet Americain", and when I search for the difference between steak tartare and filet Americian, this is what wikipedia has to say:

"In Belgium, steak tartare is served with fries. A variation of steak tartare, used normally as a sandwich spread, is known as “filet américain” (lit. American fillet) with onions and more seasoning than a normal steak tartare."

So, maybe google a recipe for filet Americain?

This is a good version (even though it's a bit less orange than the factory stuff:
http://kokrobin.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/filet-americain/

paraquat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 31, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

paraquat posted:

To me, that color looks like "filet Americain", and when I search for the difference between steak tartare and filet Americian, this is what wikipedia has to say:

"In Belgium, steak tartare is served with fries. A variation of steak tartare, used normally as a sandwich spread, is known as “filet américain” (lit. American fillet) with onions and more seasoning than a normal steak tartare."

This is a good version (even though it's a bit less orange than the factory stuff:

Based on the consistency in that picture, it looks just right! Thanks a lot!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

paraquat posted:

Wait in Belgium they have steak based sandwich spreads?

What the gently caress USA work on that poo poo.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

FishBulb posted:

Wait in Belgium they have steak based sandwich spreads?

What the gently caress USA work on that poo poo.

loving hell, they eat raw mince (ground beef) in sandwiches there. It's called gecap, though that's probably the wrong spelling since I never had to actually spell it and haven't lived there in years :downs:

Another question here too: I have 800g of beef which I want to roast, and according to the packet, it should be done for 120 mins at gas mark 5. I want to roast it over the course of 4 hours though, what temperature should I cook it on?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

C'mere :chef:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GabrielAisling posted:

1/4 cup olive oil
3 onions, diced
1 pumpkin (kabocha works best), peeled, seeded, and chopped
Water enough to cover said pumpkin (usually around 2 liters)
3 TB maple syrup
3 cardamom pods
6 cloves
1/2 tsp peppercorns
grating of nutmeg
cinnamon, for dusting
1/4 cup coconut milk
Salt, to taste

Sautee the onions in the olive oil until tender. Add the diced kabocha, and toss to combine. Add water to just cover the pumpkin, and bring to a boil. Drop down to medium heat, and let it bubble away for about 25 minutes or so, until the pumpkin is tender.

In a spice mill or pestle and mortar, grind the cardamom, clove, and peppercorns. Add the ground spices and nutmeg to the cooked pumpkin. Add the maple syrup and coconut milk. Puree to a fine puree. Salt to taste, and check for seasoning. Just before serving, dust on a light sprinkling of cinnamon.

If you don't have coconut milk, leave it out. The soup will still be delicious.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

By the way I kind of just made up a new peanut butter pumpkin soup thing with rice and it was very tasty, and now I have to try and remember exactly how I made it...

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

This is what GWS needs more of:

1. Threads about making granola.
2. Threads about how awesome granola is.
3. ...More threads about making granola V2.0

I beg someone, create this. I must learn to make it!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I had a lunch of fish today. The fish was okay (Not great, not bad) but the sauce was blech. It was a lemon butter sauce and it was woeful.

The recipe I used was a couple small cubes of butter (I don't know the exact amount), .25 cups of white wine (The wine tastes fine, I'm drinking it now), 1/2 lemon worth of juice and seasoning (S&P, parsley and basil). It didn't thicken much (Not that I expected it to) but more importantly is was way too buttery for me.

I grew up with and use margarine for most cooking (Except cakes) and I'm not a huge fan of butter because I'm just never gotten used to the taste. Is the recipe I used wrong or is it just a buttery tasting recipe? Yes, I am aware it's "lemon butter" sauce. I just expected it to be slightly dairy tasting and creamy, not BUTTER everywhere.

Would subbing thickened cream for the butter work?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I had a lunch of fish today. The fish was okay (Not great, not bad) but the sauce was blech. It was a lemon butter sauce and it was woeful.

The recipe I used was a couple small cubes of butter (I don't know the exact amount), .25 cups of white wine (The wine tastes fine, I'm drinking it now), 1/2 lemon worth of juice and seasoning (S&P, parsley and basil). It didn't thicken much (Not that I expected it to) but more importantly is was way too buttery for me.

I grew up with and use margarine for most cooking (Except cakes) and I'm not a huge fan of butter because I'm just never gotten used to the taste. Is the recipe I used wrong or is it just a buttery tasting recipe? Yes, I am aware it's "lemon butter" sauce. I just expected it to be slightly dairy tasting and creamy, not BUTTER everywhere.

Would subbing thickened cream for the butter work?

sounds like you were after a cream sauce anyway. A couple of cubes of butter to balance a quarter cup of wine is a shitton of sauce for one serving, too.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So I've knocked together a quick biryani and think I've made an absolutely retarded mistake. I fried up the chicken breasts, added some red onion and cubes of potato then added the curry paste (self-made, too!) w/ some water. Brought it to the boil then took it off the heat because I'll oven cook it later today for dinner.

My intention was to leave it at that so I could finish cooking it later but I added the basmati rice at the end :wth:

Will it be ok? I have visions of the rice clogging together in a lump in the cooling liquid :(

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Duxwig posted:

This is what GWS needs more of:

1. Threads about making granola.
2. Threads about how awesome granola is.
3. ...More threads about making granola V2.0

I beg someone, create this. I must learn to make it!

A basic granola is really easy. Some oats, a little bit of honey and a little bit of oil mix all together bake until it's done.
Add in your choice of nuts or coconut or whatever before the baking, add dried fruits, or other melty additions after it's cooled.
Don't forget the salt!

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
So a great new Cuban place opened up near me and I'd like to take a crack at recreating some of their dishes since I know I can make rice, beans, and pork shoulder for pretty darn cheap. I respect my country's embargo to the point that I'd never tried making Cuban food in the past but it's time for that to change.

My favorite dish is lechon asado but I can't seem to find a recipe that seems like it would turn out the same way as the cuban place makes it. The sauce is this chunky, garlicky spread that's not all that runny and everything I'm seeing requires several cups of various citrus juices and oils. I was going to put some pork shoulder in the crock pot and then make this sauce in a pan and spread it over it. All I know is that it has tons of garlic and onions but beyond that I'm lost. The place calls it a garlic and onion mojo but it doesn't look like much of a mojo either.

I also picked up some of this dried, crushed epazote from my spice guy for Cuban black beans but now I'm reading that it's fatal in certain amounts. Seeing as I bought a super concentrated version of the normally fatal type I'm a little concerned. How much should I use for a pound of black beans that will be a good balance between providing delicious flavor and not killing me?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Making chicken and vegetable pot pies this weekend for boyfriend's gaming night. I accounted for the vegetarian, but forgot about the gluten-free dude.

If I just get gluten-free flour, do I handle it the same way when I make pie crust? Will it still thicken my pot pie filling? Does it taste different?

Also, taking suggestions for vegetarian pot pie filling. I was going to use peas, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, leeks, and pearl onions, but if there's something you use that would be delicious, i would love to know.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

squigadoo posted:

Making chicken and vegetable pot pies this weekend for boyfriend's gaming night. I accounted for the vegetarian, but forgot about the gluten-free dude.

If I just get gluten-free flour, do I handle it the same way when I make pie crust? Will it still thicken my pot pie filling? Does it taste different?

Also, taking suggestions for vegetarian pot pie filling. I was going to use peas, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, leeks, and pearl onions, but if there's something you use that would be delicious, i would love to know.
That filling sounds delicious with the right flavourings. Ensure the stock is gluten free. I'd add some herbs and/or spices to that. Garlic, rosemary springs to mind, maybe some thyme.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'd whack in a load of parsley, too.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

therattle posted:

That filling sounds delicious with the right flavourings. Ensure the stock is gluten free. I'd add some herbs and/or spices to that. Garlic, rosemary springs to mind, maybe some thyme.

Herbs! Righto. I have a frozen quart of chicken stock I made to use, and am going to simmer onions, garlic, a knob of ginger, celery, carrots, and whatever veggies I have to make veggie stock which I have never made before because why go veggie stock when I can use chicken.

Scientastic posted:

I'd whack in a load of parsley, too.

which would give me a great excuse to make these mushrooms to use up my parsley. Oh baby.

Thanks!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to cook steak for me and my parents tomorrow and since they only have a single cast iron pan, could I get away with cooking one of the steaks in an anodized aluminium pan? I just want us to all eat together if possible but can only do 1 steak at a time and with 5 minutes or so to rest and time to cook I'm not sure its really possible.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yes it will be fine. There's nothing magic about cast-iron, it's just one good sort of pan, along with other good sorts of pan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was more worried about loving the pan up at really high heat than anything else. I mean I realise its a bit dumb since its aluminium but I never use it

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
I do a lot of cooking but it's nothing advanced.

I do a lot of half fabricate and other crap, if not i have maybe 5 or 6 different dishes i do (meatballs, pasta and meat sauce and other easy stuff).

Now i wanna start cooking for real. Cook everything from scratch etc.

Where should i start to learn?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I am trying to make some High Protein Pizza Dough and at the advice of Killer Robot in the Pizza Thread, I went out and bought some Soy Flour and "Vital Wheat Gluten" since they had high amounts of protein in it.

Is there a recipe for a dough that uses either of them that still tastes O.K.?

Also, Is it the same kind of protein I would be able to find in my Protein powders? I've known of Soy Protein but "Vital Wheat Gluten" doesn't sound like the same kind of protein.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
The proteins in wheat flour, when combined with liquid, are what form the gluten that's essential to yeast-risen bread. The soy flour may be high in protein, but it's not the type of protein that's going to do that.

Vital wheat gluten, on the other hand, is pretty much just the wheat protein. You can't bake with it on its own, but you can combine it with other lower protein flours to get the desired effect. If you're new to baking though, I'd recommend just getting some bread flour for now and save that stuff for when you're more comfortable.

*edit*
Woops, I didn't realize you're actually trying to boost that kind of protein. I suppose you could try to blend a high protein non-wheat flour with the vital wheat gluten, but I wouldn't know the ratio you'd be looking for.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 2, 2012

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

fritzov posted:

I do a lot of cooking but it's nothing advanced.

I do a lot of half fabricate and other crap, if not i have maybe 5 or 6 different dishes i do (meatballs, pasta and meat sauce and other easy stuff).

Now i wanna start cooking for real. Cook everything from scratch etc.

Where should i start to learn?
You could try a cook book. How to cook everything by Mark Bittman, for instance, or maybe check out the popular television series Good Eats. I find I learn best with resources beyond recipes. I would pick things that teach you different techniques such as braising, roasting, or slow cooking and know why such techniques were chosen.

Here are some things I started with:
a simple roast chicken by Thomas Keller - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/My-Favorite-Simple-Roast-Chicken-231348
with video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

Beef Bourguignon
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/12/les-halles-boeuf-bourguignon-recipe.html
or a classic chuck roast with mashed potatos
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/2008_the_year_of_the_pot_roast/

Tenchrono posted:

I am trying to make some High Protein Pizza Dough and at the advice of Killer Robot in the Pizza Thread, I went out and bought some Soy Flour and "Vital Wheat Gluten" since they had high amounts of protein in it.

Is there a recipe for a dough that uses either of them that still tastes O.K.?

Also, Is it the same kind of protein I would be able to find in my Protein powders? I've known of Soy Protein but "Vital Wheat Gluten" doesn't sound like the same kind of protein.

Are you a vegetarian? How about some anchovies on top to boost the protein instead :can:.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 2, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I want to serve a tomato based beef stew next Tuesday, but I'm a bit short on time.
Would it be okay to prepare it on Friday (4 days prior), and keep it in the fridge?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

paraquat posted:

I want to serve a tomato based beef stew next Tuesday, but I'm a bit short on time.
Would it be okay to prepare it on Friday (4 days prior), and keep it in the fridge?

That's fine. A stew type thing should keep at least a week no problem.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Grand Fromage posted:

That's fine. A stew type thing should keep at least a week no problem.

Excellent, thank you!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

paraquat posted:

Excellent, thank you!

It'll taste better too. If I'm serving a soup/stew type thing I almost always make it at least the day before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So odd questions, but for you folks who work a desk job, what do you do for lunch? I got a bunch of decent ramen bricks and ate them but the sodium kills me and they're not very filling. Today I brought in one of my containers of slow cooked chicken, heated it up with some frozen vegetables I keep here and threw it on instant rice and threw some ginger sesame seasoning on top and it's pretty good. However, I'm weird and can't eat the same thing days in a row.

Just trying to eat a bit more healthy while saving money.