Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Biggie Shorty posted:

I love how they're writing the villain for this show-the guy is such an unrepentant scumbag!

But the blond fairy turning out to be his sister-aaaw goddamnit really? I was hoping to leave that bullshit behind once they went in-game. I'm no prude but this rising tide of 'hey-maybe-it-would-be-allright-if-I-porked-my-sister' animes just seem to promote the idea that it's OK for lonely otaku to take advantage of/pervert the close relationship they would have with a sibling. I mean seriously sprinkle a little incest in every few seasons for weirdness' sake-fine, but putting it in several shows every season? gimmie a break!

For the sake of my sanity, I tell myself that the target audience for little-sister fetishism consists of only children. Japan has low birthrates, after all.

But yes, it's :regd08: and pretty creepy.

Edit: I'm a little surprised we don't have an :incest: emoticon yet.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I think the real villain of the series is Kirito's little sister. Every female he meets through the course of the series (except Asuna) ends up being an incarnation of her in some form or another. Finally, delusional and suffering from intense paranoia and after being cockblocked for the last time, he snaps and develops his own version of a death-MMO, trapping everyone in a world where his sister does not exist. He is then defeated in an in-game duel by none other than his sister.

Storgar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 2, 2012

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Biggie Shorty posted:

But the blond fairy turning out to be his sister-aaaw goddamnit really? I was hoping to leave that bullshit behind once they went in-game.

They kind of did, given that she doesn't know who he is, he doesn't know who she is, Kirito isn't interested, Suguha has pretty much given up on Kirito out of game from what I saw, and we've already had something like 3 discussions about this can we please not talk about it again.

e: VVVVVVVV I was pretty sure I remembered reading that somewhere but didn't want to say it just in case I was misremembering. Thanks.

CARRIERHASARRIVED fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 31, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

CmdtCarpenter posted:

They kind of did, given that she doesn't know who he is, he doesn't know who she is, Kirito isn't interested, Suguha has pretty much given up on Kirito out of game from what I saw, and we've already had something like 3 discussions about this can we please not talk about it again.

LN Spoilers: She finds out who she is, comes to terms with it, and its rarely mentioned again.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

For the sake of my sanity, I tell myself that the target audience for little-sister fetishism consists of only children. Japan has low birthrates, after all.

But yes, it's :regd08: and pretty creepy.

Edit: I'm a little surprised we don't have an :incest: emoticon yet.

It's not like incest fantasies are specific to Japan in any way, shape or form. Head up to the erotica thread in BFC and ask them how incest stories are selling for them. It is (usually) not that people who like incest stories want to commit incest themselves, they just like the taboo-breaking.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
I've always assumed the otaku obsession with incest has to do with their extreme fear and inability to interact with strangers on anything but the most idealized and puritanical levels. The only person of the opposite sex they can be comfortable around and communicate with in an even remotely normal fashion is someone they established a relationship with as a child, before they became a stuttering pile of neuroses and sexual frustration. For some, it's the little sister. For others, a cousin. More commonly, the childhood friend. They're fetishizing the achievement of intimacy without the embarrassment of having to go out on a limb and talk to a stranger who might reject them.

Doesn't make it any less creepy but adds a nice layer of sadness as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The fact that it's (spoiler for future events) Pretty much going to be drop kicked from high makes the suffering worth it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've always been a sucker for the 'childhood best friend' scenario. There's a romantic symmetry involved in transitioning between being lifelong friends and partners. Only in fiction though. My first best friend was a girl and though as young kids we saw each other naked several times, I'd never fantasize about getting together with her.

Seems to me that in reality all the baggage of being friendly-intimate as a child with someone gets in the way of romantic feelings developing more than it helps.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Combined BD/DVD sales figures are out for SAO vol 1, and it sold 34,000 copies in the first week, making it goddamn popular.

Some yearly Top 4 stats for comparison (first volume cumulative sales, IIRC):

2000: 24,374 Love Hina _ 13,233 Hand Maid May _ 9,620 Banner of the Stars _ 8,614 Vandread
2001: 14,125 Mahoromatic _ 11,901 Fruits Basket _ 8,033 Noir _ 7,103 Hanaukyo Maid Team
2002: 58,589 Gundam Seed _ 25,644 Azumanga Daioh _ 16,109 GITS-SAC _ 13,907 Onegai Teacher
2003: 36,511 Fullmetal Alchemist _ 13,829 Tsukihime _ 13,607 Onegai Twins _ 13,377 Da Capo
2004: 68,732 Gundam Seed Destiny _ 28,537 Initial D s4 _ 19,641 GITS-SAC s2 _ 12,934 Bleach
2005: 24,436 AIR _ 16,573 Negima _ 11,254 Nanoha A's _ 11,039 Honey & Clover
2006: 45,367 Code Geass _ 42,525 Haruhi _ 26,590 Fate/Stay Night _ 18,170 Kanon
2007: 32,731 Gundam 00 _ 29,196 Lucky Star _ 24,808 Clannad _ 22,591 Nanoha Strikers
2008: 46,258 Macross Frontier _ 42,690 Code Geass R2 _ 34,601 Gundam 00 s2 _ 19,884 Clannad After Story
2009: 78,671 Bakemonogatari _ 43,883 K-on _ 24,495 Railgun _ 19,602 Haruhi "s2"
2010: 39,385 K-on s2 _ 34,108 Angel Beats _ 23,837 Ore no Imouto _ 18,311 Durarara
2011: 71,056 Madoka _ 50,866 Fate/Zero _ 33,813 IS _ 31,524 Ano Hana

darkgray fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 1, 2012

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

darkgray posted:

Combined BD/DVD sales figures are out for SAO vol 1, and it sold 34,000 copies in the first week, making it goddamn popular.

Yet it's still only the third best selling TV series this year, after Nisemonogatari and Fate/zero 2.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

darkgray posted:

Some yearly Top 4 stats for comparison (first volume cumulative sales, IIRC):

2000: 24,374 Love Hina _ 13,233 Hand Maid May _ 9,620 Banner of the Stars _ 8,614 Vandread
2001: 14,125 Mahoromatic _ 11,901 Fruits Basket _ 8,033 Noir _ 7,103 Hanaukyo Maid Team
2002: 58,589 Gundam Seed _ 25,644 Azumanga Daioh _ 16,109 GITS-SAC _ 13,907 Onegai Teacher
2003: 36,511 Fullmetal Alchemist _ 13,829 Tsukihime _ 13,607 Onegai Twins _ 13,377 Da Capo
2004: 68,732 Gundam Seed Destiny _ 28,537 Initial D s4 _ 19,641 GITS-SAC s2 _ 12,934 Bleach
2005: 24,436 AIR _ 16,573 Negima _ 11,254 Nanoha A's _ 11,039 Honey & Clover
2006: 45,367 Code Geass _ 42,525 Haruhi _ 26,590 Fate/Stay Night _ 18,170 Kanon
2007: 32,731 Gundam 00 _ 29,196 Lucky Star _ 24,808 Clannad _ 22,591 Nanoha Strikers
2008: 46,258 Macross Frontier _ 42,690 Code Geass R2 _ 34,601 Gundam 00 s2 _ 19,884 Clannad After Story
2009: 78,671 Bakemonogatari _ 43,883 K-on _ 24,495 Railgun _ 19,602 Haruhi "s2"
2010: 39,385 K-on s2 _ 34,108 Angel Beats _ 23,837 Ore no Imouto _ 18,311 Durarara
2011: 71,056 Madoka _ 50,866 Fate/Zero _ 33,813 IS _ 31,524 Ano Hana

It seems Japanese anime fans didn't develop good taste until last year. :smug:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Silver2195 posted:

I know Infinite Stratos was my anime of the year.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Largepotato posted:

I know Infinite Stratos was my anime of the year.

Missed that one. The Elevens still have no taste. :negative:

At least it's only third place after two genuinely good shows, though. Look at the first place show for 2004.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 1, 2012

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Silver2195 posted:

Missed that one. The Elevens still have no taste. :negative:

At least it's only third place after two genuinely good shows, though. Look at the first place show for 2004.

I saw a few episodes, and I'm pretty sure he's joking.

Edit: Nevermind, misunderstood. But yeah, mostly I tend to agree with you.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
How the gently caress was Air the best selling thing of its year? And how did it sell only 350 some units less than Clannad did a few years later?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blhue posted:

How the gently caress was Air the best selling thing of its year? And how did it sell only 350 some units less than Clannad did a few years later?

The competition was a bit lacking, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2005_anime

Contrast with the next year's much stronger field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2006_anime

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Silver2195 posted:

I don't see Mushi-shi, Hourou Musuko, Tatami Galaxy or the new Lupin listed, so their taste is still atrocious as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

2004 was the worst year. SEED Destiny, of all loving things, sold three times as well as GitS second season?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sakurazuka posted:

2004 was the worst year. SEED Destiny, of all loving things, sold three times as well as GitS second season?

Seed Destiny was pretty good up until like episode 36.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Dexo posted:

Seed Destiny was pretty good

Said no one ever.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Silver2195 posted:

The competition was a bit lacking, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2005_anime

Contrast with the next year's much stronger field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2006_anime

Paradise Kiss came out that year and didn't even chart! I am sticking with the bad taste angle.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Dexo posted:

Seed Destiny was pretty good up until like episode 36.
I'm terribly sorry you have brain cancer. Is there anything we can do?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pierson posted:

I'm terribly sorry you have brain cancer. Is there anything we can do?

Send 500 BTC to my wallet.

Gundam SEED Spoiler

but seriously Seed Destiny could have been pretty good had they let Kira stay dead and dealt with the consequences of that.

I was actually starting to enjoy it until Kira became the Main character again.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 2, 2012

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dexo posted:

Send 500 BTC to my wallet.

but seriously Seed Destiny could have been pretty good had they let Kira stay dead and dealt with the consequences of that.

I was actually starting to enjoy it until Kira became the Main character again.

so, we're in the "loving spoiler OTHER animes in the SAO thread, now"?
I was watching SEED just right loving now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aureon posted:

so, we're in the "loving spoiler OTHER animes in the SAO thread, now"?
I was watching SEED just right loving now.

Sorry I guess, but seriously though, Series is almost 10 years old.

And if this stops your from finishing it I did you a favor.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Dexo posted:

Sorry I guess, but seriously though, Series is almost 10 years old.

And if this stops your from finishing it I did you a favor.

I'm pretty sure we're not expected to spoiler poo poo that is that old. Plus the correct response is simply to report the post, rather than gripe about it.

Rules posted:

Use spoiler tags!
Spoiler tags must be used when discussing things about of the latest released episode/chapter/volume of a series. You may stop using them after the next new release from this series. If you feel someone has incorrect left spoiler tags out of a post report them!

Your second point is straight on the money, too.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 2, 2012

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Biggie Shorty posted:

I love how they're writing the villain for this show-the guy is such an unrepentant scumbag!

But the blond fairy turning out to be his sister-aaaw goddamnit really? I was hoping to leave that bullshit behind once they went in-game. I'm no prude but this rising tide of 'hey-maybe-it-would-be-allright-if-I-porked-my-sister' animes just seem to promote the idea that it's OK for lonely otaku to take advantage of/pervert the close relationship they would have with a sibling. I mean seriously sprinkle a little incest in every few seasons for weirdness' sake-fine, but putting it in several shows every season? gimmie a break!

Obviously the author knows it yields the most hilarious outcomes in literature. Oedipus Rex is over two millennia old but still yields a few laughs from the audience who knows what is up while the main cast do not.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 2, 2012

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

YouTuber posted:

Obviously the author knows it yields the most hilarious outcomes in literature. Oedipus Rex is over two millennia old but still yields a few laughs from the audience who knows what is up while the main cast do not.

It'd be more hilarious if this wasn't more common in anime and tended to have creepier implications.

The most creepy thing here is that they've been brother and sister for as long as they can remember.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Man, didn't even think about it that way. I mean it's patently obvious he's not going to fall for his sister, cousin or not, so we're just waiting for the dramatic fuzzy bomb to go off and, given everyone's mental state, it's going to be glorious.

Argas posted:

The most creepy thing here is that they've been brother and sister for as long as they can remember.
Well, less for Kirito, he's known otherwise since he was 10.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 2, 2012

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I so wish I had stopped watching at episode 14. I had the feeling things were going to go downhill, but incest is not what I signed up for.

Well, it was a cool thing to watch until it got silly.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Can we loving stop bringing that up?
It has been stated numerous times that (Regarding that spoiler)It doesn't go anywhere and gets dropped almost immediately

Demicol fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 2, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Demicol posted:

It has been stated numerous times that (Regarding that spoiler)It doesn't go anywhere and gets dropped almost immediately

I guess not, what with [that noise] and all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demicol posted:

Only people who've read the novels or spoiled themselves in this thread know that though, everyone else is like 'Welp, creepy poo poo, peace out.' because, despite how it plays out, it's still there.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Demicol posted:

Sorry if it ruins your day or something but I'm just commenting on the anime I watched. It was about as unnecessary as the underage-looking character that shows up in her bra and panties for 2 minutes early on. I can support weird sexual stuff if it makes sense in the context of the show, but I'm not feeling that here.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Only people who've read the novels or spoiled themselves in this thread know that though, everyone else is like 'Welp, creepy poo poo, peace out.' because, despite how it plays out, it's still there.

You know what? If they will tolerate it elsewhere and this is the place they'll quit on it only two episodes in then good riddance. A little bit of patience pays off.

And this comes from someone who had to endure that stupid show with the Tsundere sister and her doormat of a brother in a club setting.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 2, 2012

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Demicol posted:

"But if I don't complain forever about irrelevant stuff, how will people know I'm not a creep?"

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

ConanThe3rd posted:

You know what? If they will tolerate it elsewhere and this is the place they'll quit on it only two episodes in then good riddance. A little bit of patience pays off.

And this comes from someone who had to endure that stupid show with the Tsundere sister and her doormat of a brother in a club setting.

Genshiken?

KoB
May 1, 2009

WitchFetish posted:

"But if I don't complain forever about irrelevant stuff, how will people know I'm not a creep?"

I like that discussing the episodes now just receives backlash against people who dont read the WAY TOO MANY novel spoilers all over this thread. No matter what happens later, it is still currently happening.

It happened in the episode, people are going to discuss it. If you would like to discuss the novel, please take it elsewhere.

Its funny how people that are sorta creeped out by this are in the wrong according to this thread :v:

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 2, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Actually the incest discussions has happened like six times in the thread and needs to stop. This isn't even "discussing the episodes," it's bringing up an old episode to rehash something this thread has gone over multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

No, that's a good show. I Mean Oreimo or 'the gently caress it was called. That show was just awful.

• Locked thread