Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Long shot here, but does anyone work for Papaya Mobile in SF, I just got a poke about working there and I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on whats up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aliginge posted:

loving Middlesbrough, man....
Alright England, listen up. You just officially lost your "calling Americans greasy fastfood-eating bastards" privileges for the decade.

... also, this Kaos Studios writeup is just sad :( I had a friend at another THQ studio, and as soon as they got to Danny Bilson - I'd heard that story before.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
Great news for Las Vegas goons:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180765/TakeTwo_looking_to_open_new_Las_Vegas_office.php#.UJL-u8XR52A

I'm pretty excited about this happening here in Las Vegas. Now to find out what types of jobs will be available.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
As a Scotsman all I can think is "Why isn't it battered and deep fried?".

Oh, great, now I've made myself hungry...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Shalinor posted:

Alright England, listen up. You just officially lost your "calling Americans greasy fastfood-eating bastards" privileges for the decade.

In our defence (I literally rarely ever defend England) Middlesbrough is the only place in the country with the (lack of) taste to create such a beast.

Sunday Roasts more than make up for England's food shortcomings :colbert:

Just a loving shame that you cannot find a decent Carvery anywhere local in Leamington Spa :cry:

Tovarish
Oct 5, 2007
Does anybody work at Ubisoft San Francisco I could chat with?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

I miss garbage plates so loving much.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shalinor posted:

Your experience is how many years you've been working.
Yes and no. Contrary to what some people think, being a "veteran" is not a positive trait. As you gain more experience beyond 10 years, the number of opportunities available to you will dramatically decrease. You might be proud of your career, but you should always understate your "years of experience" if you have any interest in continued employment.

Aliginge posted:

To anyone wondering, it's a slab of breaded chicken topped with cheese and pizza toppings and often mountains of garlic sauce, wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the greasiest goddamn thing known to mankind.
I'm sorry, but that's nothing. In San Diego, you can order supreme fries with carne asada (beef), adobada (pork), or pollo asado (chicken) at every taco shop. "Supreme" generally means sour cream, cheese, guacamole, and other garnish. I recently found one place where you can get any of the above items plus bacon and chipotle (smoke-dried jalapenos). These items are supposed to be appetizers for several people, but nobody eats these that way around here.

Images

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 2, 2012

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Adraeus posted:

I'm sorry, but that's nothing. In San Diego, you can order supreme fries with carne asada (beef), adobada (pork), or pollo asado (chicken) at every taco shop. "Supreme" generally means sour cream, cheese, guacamole, and other garnish. I recently found one place where you can get any of the above items plus bacon and chipotle (smoke-dried jalapenos). These items are supposed to be appetizers for several people, but nobody eats these that way around here.

Images

Everything you said here sounds amazing except the fries part.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I like Parmos, but nearly every single one I have got in the town centre and around the Uni has been a shower of poo poo. When it is still terrible when drunk there is definitely something wrong. The supermarket Jeff the Chef ones beat most takeaways.

Housemate at Uni was adamant they smell like feet.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xgalaxy posted:

Everything you said here sounds amazing except the fries part.
You can substitute the fries with chips.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Adraeus posted:

You can substitute the fries with chips.

Nope. Still doesn't work.
Low carb, high fat. Everything you mentioned fits perfectly except that.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xgalaxy posted:

Everything you mentioned fits perfectly except that.
You're not from San Diego. :)

Carne asada fries and burritos are the two most popular dishes.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

icking fudiot posted:

pretty brutal retrospective on kaos studios.

having done some outsource stuff for them during this time, it seems accurate.. still sorry to hear it, years later though.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/3560318/homefront-kaos-studios-thq

I worked with a few people from THQ's now-closing Phoenix QA branch, who they had sent over to help us with the major testing. They'd been around when Homefront was in development, and mentioned how hopeless that project seemed. This article definitely isn't surprising after what I heard from them.

My contract's ending soon, which sucks considering there aren't many leads in this area right now, but at least THQ seems to be doing a lot better with Jason Rubin calling the shots.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Transform... for Justice!

rndm posted:

Great news for Las Vegas goons:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180765/TakeTwo_looking_to_open_new_Las_Vegas_office.php#.UJL-u8XR52A

I'm pretty excited about this happening here in Las Vegas. Now to find out what types of jobs will be available.

Take2 is shutting down their Los Angeles QA and moving it to Las Vegas.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aliginge posted:

I tried a Parmo once in my seven years in boro, it was loving foul and I'll generally eat anything.

To anyone wondering, it's a slab of breaded chicken topped with cheese and pizza toppings and often mountains of garlic sauce, wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the greasiest goddamn thing known to mankind.

loving Middlesbrough, man....

wanna eat dat crucnhfoods

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I miss garbage plates so loving much.

Garbage plates and Mark's Pizza are the only two things I miss from Rochester aside from family/friends.

Adraeus posted:

Images

Carne Asada Fries are pretty sweet - my first time getting them I got them and a burrito and didn't finish the fries and didn't unwrap the burrito.

Game Foods Megathread

The Kaos writeup was the second I've seen, there was also one on Gamasutra where they used the term "Bilsowned" to describe Bilson's hit and run creative direction on Homefront.

Everyone I know at THQ says that Rubin is kicking rear end in comparison to Bilson, but I don't know that that is enough. For my friends' sakes, I hope it is.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Aliginge posted:

wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the greasiest goddamn thing known to mankind.

I really have to scoff at a brit calling anything the "Greasiest" unless you've experienced the wonders of deep south fried cuisine. I've seen practitioners go through 3/4ths of a tub of crisco for a meal for six people, and there wasn't even anything that overtly greasy in the dish. It's just mind-boggling how much fat you can incorporate into a meal and still have it be solid sometimes.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Shalinor posted:

In our defence, such garbage plates are only traditionally eaten when you're really, really drunk and not as part of a balanced diet.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Monster w21 Faces posted:

In our defence, such garbage plates are only traditionally eaten when you're really, really drunk and not as part of a balanced diet.

What if you're really really drunk every day as part of your balanced diet? :smugbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hughlander posted:

What if you're really really drunk every day as part of your balanced diet? :smugbert:

There's a reason the UK has the most synonyms and euphemisms for "drunk".

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

So are american garbage plates so it is ok.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

So are american garbage plates so it is ok.
Americans don't have garbage plates. We call those "breakfast" :c00lbert:

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
Also, we are too lazy to even use a plate. They usually just put a skillet full of poo poo directly on the table these days!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
French Canadians would like to remind you that Montreal is not only a leader in video games, but also a leader in the best garbage food to ever exist:

Hmm yeah.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Jan posted:

There's a reason the UK has the most synonyms and euphemisms for "drunk".

Every word can be used as a synonym for being drunked.

"gently caress me, I got completely Jan'ned last night.'

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Jan posted:

French Canadians would like to remind you that Montreal is not only a leader in video games, but also a leader in the best garbage food to ever exist:

Hmm yeah.

Considering spamming Canada with my CV and portfolio now.

Also I just realised nobody remembered the layer of Béchamel sauce between the chicken and the cheese on a parmo. Also Gi Gi's is the worst parmo maker.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 2, 2012

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Jan posted:

Hmm yeah.

This is not garbage, it's the pyramid of heavenly wonders that one must ascend in order to attain true happiness. I miss poutine, Germany's currywurst just doesn't cut it :(

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:

jBusy posted:

Take2 is shutting down their Los Angeles QA and moving it to Las Vegas.

Do you currently work there?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Aliginge posted:

In our defence (I literally rarely ever defend England) Middlesbrough is the only place in the country with the (lack of) taste to create such a beast.

Sunday Roasts more than make up for England's food shortcomings :colbert:

Just a loving shame that you cannot find a decent Carvery anywhere local in Leamington Spa :cry:

What kind of Carvery? There is a Carvery in Solihull which isn't too far away. If you just want a good Sunday lunch try the Clarendon.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
What are cheese curds? Is it brined cheese like feta?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Cheese curds in cuisine, or cooking, are the solid parts of soured milk either eaten alone or used in various regional dishes, mostly in Canada and the northeastern and midwestern United States. They are sometimes referred to as "squeaky cheese"

Not only are they delicious, but you can produce a squeaky melody as you eat them.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

I have no idea. It tastes almost like a sharpish mozzarella. I had a co-worker bring me back some from Canada when he went and I made my own. Considering shipping in from Wisconsin now :( I miss Canada.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Not brined at all, some people say it's cheddar but it's actually more like a kind of mozzarella. I miss poutine...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

concerned mom posted:

What kind of Carvery? There is a Carvery in Solihull which isn't too far away. If you just want a good Sunday lunch try the Clarendon.

Toby Carveries were my favourite. Roll up, get a serving of Roast Beef/Gammon/Turkey, eat all you like in terms of veggies, literally roll home like the majestic royal-blooded glutton sphere you are.

E: ah christ the solihull one IS toby as well! Curse my inability to own a car :C

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Senso posted:

Not brined at all, some people say it's cheddar but it's actually more like a kind of mozzarella. I miss poutine...

Aggh gotcha,

So it's fancy chips 'n' cheese with gravy on top.

Why can't you Canadians be normal and use curry sauce like the rest of us?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aggh gotcha,

So it's fancy chips 'n' cheese with gravy on top.

Why can't you Canadians be normal and use curry sauce like the rest of us?

While you can approximate poutine with mozzarella cheese, it just isn't the same. Cheese curds are what make it.

They're pretty good by themselves, too! Lots of convenience stores and pretty much all grocery stores carry them in snack-sized bags.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
We, everyone talking about piling cheese on top of french fries, are fat bastards who will never find love. :smith:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I've made approximations of poutine before but gravy coming into contact with cheese, or tomato-based sauces, grosses out MY WIFE so that experiment didn't last long :(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Akuma posted:

I've made approximations of poutine before but gravy coming into contact with cheese, or tomato-based sauces, grosses out MY WIFE so that experiment didn't last long :(

Is she eating it? I don't see the problem here :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Senso posted:

Well, not quite.

Cheese curds just refer to the curds. When you make cheese, you throw the rennet into the milk, and it separates the milk out into the curds and the whey. The whey is the liquidy part, and the curds are the solid part.

At this point, you can eat the curds as-is, or you can use a cheese cloth to compress/drain them. If you stop there, then boom, you've got mozzarella cheese. Or, you can add spices to it at that point, and age the result, and boom, you've got one of the cured cheeses (like cheddar). And so on. Also mind that all of that is an extremely simplified description.

... I know a lot about cheese for someone allergic to dairy. God dammit I miss cheese. I hate you all.