Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
God drat, why would he choose to script it for one device...

Kynetx posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, but why no admin rights for WP7?

No idea, I've never touched a WP7. However, on the Exchange box you can allow incompatible devices to continue to connect regardless of the compliance on the security. You'd think Microsoft's own phone OS would be compliant though. I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Syrinxx posted:

On a good note we made a very good case against offshoring any more IT jobs.

While I'm glad you made that case, you say it like a local IT couldn't have pulled that off.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Zero VGS posted:

While I'm glad you made that case, you say it like a local IT couldn't have pulled that off.
Everything we do like that is sanity checked but apparently that is not a thing in India.

e: the real point is that you should not happily hand over admin rights on your personal device to your IT department just to get your mail via Active Sync. Also keep good backups.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 2, 2012

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

e: the real point is that you should not happily hand over admin rights on your personal device to your IT department just to get your mail via Active Sync. Also keep good backups.

My company only turned on the requirement a year ago, but it was a blessing that got me to disconnect from it permanently. If they need, me they'll call.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kynetx posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, but why no admin rights for WP7?

Are you sure you they don't have these permissions for your 900? I don't recall it explicitly telling me all the control I was giving over when I synced my WP7 phones, but I am almost certain it's present.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kynetx posted:

spotty NTFS support

What does this mean? I mean, I know what it means on a technical level, but when do you need your Android tablet to support reading NTFS file systems?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Thermopyle posted:

What does this mean? I mean, I know what it means on a technical level, but when do you need your Android tablet to support reading NTFS file systems?
:goonsay: I need to hook up my USB drives with HD animu episodes!

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
Anybody else having trouble accessing Google Now on the N7? In the last few days, Google would rather send me right to the search screen when swiping up rather than show me any cards. Swiping up just lets me begin searching directly on Google. Asking Google for the weather or something will bring up a single card, but I can't seem to find my way back to the Google Now homescreen... full disclosure: I'm probably doing something really stupid to cause this.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My N7 search bar hasn't actually been working whatsoever, or working really slow. Kind of frustrating.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Quick Nexus 7 question. Can the navigation buttons be set or modded to be left justified, instead of centered? I'm thinking of getting one but the nav bar layout makes me irrationally upset.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

bawfuls posted:

So is there a way to get pdf or epub files from my computer onto my Nexus 7 and showing up in the google play books app? or do I have to download another ebook reader?

I'd rather have books all in one place, even though some will be loaded on the device from my computer and others downloaded from the google play store.

Not yet. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Fabrik is a decent cloud ebook reader that will sync from your Dropbox folder on your PC to all your devices, as well as between devices.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

mr. stefan posted:

Quick Nexus 7 question. Can the navigation buttons be set or modded to be left justified, instead of centered? I'm thinking of getting one but the nav bar layout makes me irrationally upset.

Different ROMs offer this, but I didn't find a way to do it in the five minutes I had it stock.

Any suggestions for a news ticker widget for the Nexus 7? Pulse's widget is nice, but Apex doesn't play nicely with resizing it.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

mr. stefan posted:

If you're rooted, I'm pretty sure you can change the LCD density in your build.prop to get the full tablet UI.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

jack. posted:

If you're rooted, I'm pretty sure you can change the LCD density in your build.prop to get the full tablet UI.
Except in 4.2 it's put in the center no matter what.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Except in 4.2 it's put in the center no matter what.

Oh, didn't know that. Bummer.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jack. posted:

Oh, didn't know that. Bummer.

But this will almost certainly still be possible with a mod from XDA or whatever, someone will do it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I can't see Google leaving it like that with so many people complaining. Just try to use it on a 10" tablet, it's awful.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It looks like the Exynos 5 doesn't kick as much rear end in the Nexus 10 as it did in the Chromebook.

Other benchmarks show a similar decrease in performance.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why is there is there so much lag on the new 10?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt1ZKiZaem8&t=78s

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Don Lapre posted:

Because they replaced the original stock browser with chrome.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Don Lapre posted:

That's just The Verge site. Everything on my nexus 7 works smooth as butter but The Verge acts exactly like that — I can barely scroll around at all, sometimes it doesn't even register scrolls, etc.

I think they dynamically load their content as you scroll to save bandwidth or something and it fucks with chrome. I'm guessing this is the case because sometimes when I scroll on the N7, there will be no content there, and it will suddenly pop in. Again, this only happens on the verge's site.

Kind of annoys me that they knock the browser for acting weird when it's just their site, and that they knock the app ecosystem while The Verge themselves haven't put out a tablet-optimized android app. The app ecosystem problem is a real catch 22.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 2, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Polo-Rican posted:

That's just The Verge site. Everything on my nexus 7 works smooth as butter but The Verge acts exactly like that — I can barely scroll around at all, sometimes it doesn't even register scrolls, etc.

I think they dynamically load their content as you scroll to save bandwidth or something and it fucks with chrome. I'm guessing this is the case because sometimes when I scroll on the N7, there will be no content there, and it will suddenly pop in. Again, this only happens on the verge's site.

Kind of annoys me that they knock the browser for acting weird when it's just their site, and that they knock the app ecosystem while The Verge themselves haven't put out a tablet-optimized android app. The app ecosystem problem is a real catch 22.

The Verge site crawls on everything I run it on. My Macbook, iPad, my i5 w/ 8GB of RAM Windows laptop. The mobile version does better, but for some reason it doesn't serve that version to Android tablets (user agent related, I guess). it's an interestingly designed page, but there's something weird about it technically.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It looks like the Exynos 5 doesn't kick as much rear end in the Nexus 10 as it did in the Chromebook.

Other benchmarks show a similar decrease in performance.

Could the difference in resolution have anything to do with the disparity?

Also, I am really loving Flipboard. It is slick as hell.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mister Fister posted:

Because they replaced the original stock browser with chrome.

Chrome is the stock browser.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fookolt posted:

Could the difference in resolution have anything to do with the disparity?
Not for Sunspider, no.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Don Lapre posted:

Chrome is the stock browser.

Yes now it is

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Verge actually 100% freezes my Ivy Bridge Notebook for a good 5 seconds (completely, no mouse response or anything.) I have no idea what they are doing on that site.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

The Verge actually 100% freezes my Ivy Bridge Notebook for a good 5 seconds (completely, no mouse response or anything.) I have no idea what they are doing on that site.

Yeah it's a piece of poo poo site. It freezes my desktop as well for a few seconds each time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Thirded. I'd complain about it on their forums which they love so dearly but that means going to their forums. And registering.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Thermopyle posted:

I format my bigger removable media as NTFS, as it is generally faster over USB. It would take a day or more to transfer data off of it to my server or another drive, format it as FAT32 and then transfer it back over.

It's just handy and kind of impressive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you have something like anime's that are over 4gb then fat32 wont work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Weird, you all must be running pieces of poo poo because I load The Verge fine on my beater desktop PC (built it 2 years ago). Last I used my parents' TP with CM9, it loaded/scrolled fine there too.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The verge runs with full sized jpegs (6mb~) and a poo poo ton of javascript code which lags tons of machines. It stresses a lot of machines that really shouldn't be stressed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

teagone posted:

Weird, you all must be running pieces of poo poo because I load The Verge fine on my beater desktop PC (built it 2 years ago). Last I used my parents' TP with CM9, it loaded/scrolled fine there too.
Er, no. I have no issues scrolling, but on some days their homepage completely hangs my browser when loading on my machines regardless of OS X, Windows, Chrome, Safari, IE10, quad-core, dual-core, 16GB RAM, SSD, you name it. I think it has to do with an advertiser in their rotation since it comes and goes.

Good assumption though! :downs:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 2, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Not sure but adding an SSD to my Core2 Duo desktop mostly eliminated that 5 second pause (less than a second now) so it must be loading a bunch of cached stuff. Never seen any slowdowns on my Ivy Bridge laptop with an SSD so I guess that's the threshold for decent Verge performance.

Wonder how it runs on an iPad?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
My machine is a quad core i5 with 8gb of RAM and dual SSDs, so the slowdown is definitely a Verge issue, not my hardware.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Wow! A Great tablet for a Great price. Some websites look to be lagging, but That is okay for my Needs. Does this Nexus 10 come with any Peripherals, like such as perhaps an Earbud? That would push me over the Edge for a purchase....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Does anybody else get absolute crap for standby battery life on the Nexus 7?

The screen on time seems to be pretty much as advertised, however I seem to lose between 10 and 15 percent battery while in standby mode over night.

Other than this issue, I have no real complaints about the directions Android has gone over the last year since I primarily switch to iOS.

If anyone has experienced this issue, what have you done to correct it?

The only thing I can think of, would be tasker, but I'm not sure if that is the easiest/most ideal solution or not.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Ozmodiar posted:

Does anybody else get absolute crap for standby battery life on the Nexus 7?

The screen on time seems to be pretty much as advertised, however I seem to lose between 10 and 15 percent battery while in standby mode over night.

Other than this issue, I have no real complaints about the directions Android has gone over the last year since I primarily switch to iOS.

If anyone has experienced this issue, what have you done to correct it?

The only thing I can think of, would be tasker, but I'm not sure if that is the easiest/most ideal solution or not.

Check your battery stats in the settings menu. It should tell you what's eating your battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I did. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary...but I went to bed last night with 14% battery and woke up to a dead tablet.

Maybe I just need a few cycles to calibrate my battery.