Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

prefect posted:

She works as hard as she can to be Ann Coulter II, but she's never seemed to get much attention. Howard Stern used to have her as a guest once in a while, which was fun, because she's only worthwhile for being goofed on.

She can't be Ann Coulter II, Ann Coulter II is Laura Ingraham. Schlussel would have to be Ann Coulter III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Someone who lies all the time has contempt for their audience? Huh, it all makes sense now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

She works as hard as she can to be Ann Coulter II, but she's never seemed to get much attention. Howard Stern used to have her as a guest once in a while, which was fun, because she's only worthwhile for being goofed on.

She forgot that the Ann Coulter Method of Edgy involves a scattershot approach. Attack literally everyone in your path, hit every insane theory, do literally anything to get in front of cameras to be terrible. Debbie just keeps ranting about the evil Muslims so people just go 'goddamn she's racist as gently caress'.

Basically if you're going to be a bigoted piece of poo poo for money you have to create the shield of 'uh excuse me I'm an equal opportunity offender' :smug:. Debster just reeeeeeally hates Muslims.

Also yea, Ingram is Coulter 2.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Pope Guilty posted:

She can't be Ann Coulter II, Ann Coulter II is Laura Ingraham. Schlussel would have to be Ann Coulter III.

Nope Ann Coulter III is Michelle Malkin. Coulter IV perhaps?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheGreyGhost posted:

Pretty sure that's Dana

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, in talking elsewhere on the web about journalism, someone brought up Ben Swann who has apparently won some awards for his journalism, but to me seems like a typical Paulite (one of the bits I watched was all about the Fiat dollar and how Ben Bernanke is out of control, etc). Has anyone else heard of this guy? He claims to be a "fact checker", but I just get the feeling it's a load, or not telling the whole story, or something. Maybe I'm just trained to distrust or something.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghH9Cl-Pj60

Here's Rush Limbaugh pouring out some bile against Chris Christie for daring make the President look good. Notable things:

-Rush's voice sounds really odd to me, not like his normal. Plus he seems to kind of lose the thread a little towards the end, more than even usual for people stumbling on their words a bit on broadcast radio. Studio at home, wonder if dude is hopped up on the goofballs again.

-He says Bloomberg endorsed Romney, when he in fact endorsed Obama. Fox News always carried this incorrect news, I wonder if Rush got this from Fox or vice versa?

-Funny that the "Daily Rushbo" youtube channel only shows the thinner Rush pictures. I'm pretty sure he's back on the "fat" part of his fat/thin cycles.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Goatman Sacks posted:

Pretty sure that's Dana

:psyduck: I guess that's another explanation why Ann Coulter seems so tame nowadays.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

TheIllestVillain posted:

This Debbie Schlussel woman seems like quite a piece of work.

Yeah, she never quite made escape velocity to break out but it was nice to see even someone as awful as her can call out Hannity.

As for Rush videos, this one will always be my favorite. Before he become super famous he was asked to guest host the ill-fated Pat Sajak Show on CBS. This is what happens when Rush has a non-screened audience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK4byQkn7w They ended up having to clear out the studio audience so he could finish without getting shouted down.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wait, who's Dana?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Dana Loesch. She's a CNN contributor which is why you haven't heard of her.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Typical Pubbie posted:

Dana Loesch. She's a CNN contributor which is why you haven't heard of her.

Or perhaps not. http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/01/kudos-to-cnn-for-dana-loeschs-mysterious-three/191051 CNN seems to have shelved her.

She's a Breitbartian publicity hound talk radio host from St. Louis. Coulterish sure, but doesn't seem to have the same staying power.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

She's a Breitbartian publicity hound talk radio host from St. Louis. Coulterish sure, but doesn't seem to have the same staying power.

She doesn't go big enough. When you're at the top of right-wing professional troll pile the only way up is to out-troll yourself. By calling the President of the United States a retard on your twitter feed, for example. That's a lot more provocative than something as amateurish as saying you'd piss on dead taliban fighters.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 2, 2012

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

whoops

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 2, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

e: welp

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 2, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Zwabu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghH9Cl-Pj60

Here's Rush Limbaugh pouring out some bile against Chris Christie for daring make the President look good. Notable things:

-Rush's voice sounds really odd to me, not like his normal. Plus he seems to kind of lose the thread a little towards the end, more than even usual for people stumbling on their words a bit on broadcast radio. Studio at home, wonder if dude is hopped up on the goofballs again.

-He says Bloomberg endorsed Romney, when he in fact endorsed Obama. Fox News always carried this incorrect news, I wonder if Rush got this from Fox or vice versa?

-Funny that the "Daily Rushbo" youtube channel only shows the thinner Rush pictures. I'm pretty sure he's back on the "fat" part of his fat/thin cycles.

I saw this on Chris Matthews' show, we should point out that he also made several thinly veiled gay jokes about Obama and Christie, as well. :rolleyes:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TheGreyGhost posted:

Oh, her. Every time her name comes up I feel like everyone on Earth should be reminded that that evil woman literally wrote a book supporting racism.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hazo posted:

Oh, her. Every time her name comes up I feel like everyone on Earth should be reminded that that evil woman literally wrote a book supporting racism.

And, in case you've never seen her, her family is from the pacific region.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But that just gives her extra credibility (as one of the good ones)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The American Decline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=642KbtSiMbA

I think there's no purer distillation of the last 4 years of propaganda than this video. You might think it's just a crazy Youtube video but it's actually a real ad paid for with real money by the Winning Our Future SuperPAC.

:siren: CHURCH CONVERTED TO A MOSQUE :siren:

Glitterbomber posted:

And, in case you've never seen her, her family is from the pacific region.
Filipinos weren't the ones rounded up and interned, so it's not like that matters.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Because Fox is a propaganda arm of the Republican party that people take seriously as news for some reason. It should be taken less seriously than Russia Today.

infinity2005 posted:

RT seems to have some interesting content though at least, and i don't find it that biased.. if you 'unskew' (can't think of a better word) the obvious pro-Russia opinions or little digs at certain groups in what they choose to report on then i think it's good, although i've only been watching for a short time. Fox is just straight up powering nonsense into your face all day and being dishonest about it.

Illumination posted:

I could watch Max Keiser yell about fundamentalist suicide bankers all day :allears:
Yeah RT has Max Keiser and Breaking The Set, which is basically what Fox News pretends to be in terms of being anti-establishment and contemptful of the mainstream media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGYeG_pCCH0&t=51s

VideoTapir posted:

Look at popular post-apocalyptic fiction...we just can't suspend our disbelief for nukes anymore. Kids are gonna see the new Mad Max movie and be like "Wait, what's going on? Are there zombies or something?"
Mad Max isn't fallout, watch this intro to The Road Warrior and tell me it doesn't work just as well today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 2, 2012

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Filipinos weren't the ones rounded up and interned, so it's not like that matters.

How many people who agree with her can tell the difference, or even know there is a difference?

quote:

Mad Max isn't fallout, watch this intro to The Road Warrior and tell me it doesn't work just as well today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

It's still supposed to be post-nuclear. The first one was either during the decline, or right after the end. It's easy to miss, but there are some suggestions that things aren't normal (mostly to do with the car). The second strongly implied nuclear war, the third made it explicit. The backstory leading up to the war in Fallout is more or less the same as Mad Max, too.

Mad Max basically is Fallout. It inspired Wasteland which was the predecessor to Fallout.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Hazo posted:

I've never paid much attention to Malkin, but I recall reading more than a few articles claiming she's just the "one of the good ones" mask for her husbands awful political views or at least its how she started. Is there anything a little more concrete on that?

Not that I don't think she's a horrible person who's came to believe this poo poo, if for no other reason than it's quite lucrative.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

VideoTapir posted:

How many people who agree with her can tell the difference, or even know there is a difference?
Given how most Filipinos who immigrated to America have notably darker skin than Filipinos in general, let alone Japanese immigrants, Malkin included, I'd say they can tell.

VideoTapir posted:

It's still supposed to be post-nuclear. The first one was either during the decline, or right after the end. It's easy to miss, but there are some suggestions that things aren't normal (mostly to do with the car). The second strongly implied nuclear war, the third made it explicit. The backstory leading up to the war in Fallout is more or less the same as Mad Max, too.

Mad Max basically is Fallout. It inspired Wasteland which was the predecessor to Fallout.
Mad Max was an influential post-apocalyptic vision that inspired Fallout, that does not make them the same.

As you can see in the intro, whether you want to infer nuclear war or not, the text of The Road Warrior set forth the themes of societal breakdown due to the scarcity of oil in a society that had become reliant upon it, and that's something that is still relevant today in our peak oil age.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
So.... Gerlado had a bit of a fit on Fox News.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/geraldo-and-eric-bolling-in-screaming-match-over-attempts-to-blame-obama-admin-for-benghazi-deaths/

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

If you told me that I would be seeing, of all loving people, Geraldo Rivera standing up and demonstrating some kind of a backbone--and on the network that pays his salary to boot--I would have thought you were pulling my leg. I mean, I'm glad to see him doing it, and I commend him for it. I just never thought I'd see the day. :stare:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If you told me that I would be seeing, of all loving people, Geraldo Rivera standing up and demonstrating some kind of a backbone--and on the network that pays his salary to boot--I would have thought you were pulling my leg. I mean, I'm glad to see him doing it, and I commend him for it. I just never thought I'd see the day. :stare:

Every once in a while, Geraldo will do something that's straight-up admirable. I remember him being extremely emphatic about the federal government's lovely response to Katrina. I'm sure Geraldo's primary motive is fame and fortune, but there are times he seems to genuinely care for some people.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

prefect posted:

Every once in a while, Geraldo will do something that's straight-up admirable. I remember him being extremely emphatic about the federal government's lovely response to Katrina. I'm sure Geraldo's primary motive is fame and fortune, but there are times he seems to genuinely care for some people.

True, though I still think his Katrina reports (at least initially) smacked of grandstanding. Especially in comparison to Shep Smith's Katrina reports, who literally looked shaken and upset (and also looked like he wanted to reach through the screen and strangle Sean Hannity to death on more than one occasion, after some of the stupid poo poo Hannity said).

As I recall, this is also the same Geraldo who got kicked out of Iraq and Afghanistan for giving away troop movements on camera, too. :v:

But again, kudos to him for standing up and telling Fox News and their audience that all the poo poo they spew about Benghazi are "obscene lie[s]". That had to take some serious loving stones to do, and he's definitely gone up quite a few points in my estimation. :patriot:

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

prefect posted:

Wasn't he also somewhat of a competent journalist at one point?

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

TheIllestVillain posted:

Right up till Al Capones vault.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Mad Max was an influential post-apocalyptic vision that inspired Fallout, that does not make them the same.

The fact that they are the same in every aspect that we've discussed is what makes them the same.

quote:

As you can see in the intro, whether you want to infer nuclear war or not, the text of The Road Warrior set forth the themes of societal breakdown due to the scarcity of oil in a society that had become reliant upon it, and that's something that is still relevant today in our peak oil age.

I watch that movie every couple of months.

It's implied in the Humungus's burns. It's explicit in the third movie. And the same sort of societal breakdown happens in Fallout.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

prefect posted:

I loved his exchange with O'Reilly over drunk driving and immigration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhwwbNA3hjg

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

TheIllestVillain posted:

He did an expose about the Willowbrook State School in 1972, which played a major role in getting the Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act of 1980 passed. Downhill from there, but it was an awesome achievement.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheIllestVillain posted:

He has absolutely got real journalistic skills, and he has used them from time to time. As mentioned, he broke a big story over Willowbrook. I know Hugh Downs has respect for his news skills, even though he spends most of his time not using them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

prefect posted:

He has absolutely got real journalistic skills, and he has used them from time to time. As mentioned, he broke a big story over Willowbrook. I know Hugh Downs has respect for his news skills, even though he spends most of his time not using them.

I vaguely remember him freaking out at 911. I think it broke him, he swing hard right. Really made me happy to see him stand up for truth.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

True, though I still think his Katrina reports (at least initially) smacked of grandstanding. Especially in comparison to Shep Smith's Katrina reports, who literally looked shaken and upset (and also looked like he wanted to reach through the screen and strangle Sean Hannity to death on more than one occasion, after some of the stupid poo poo Hannity said).

As I recall, this is also the same Geraldo who got kicked out of Iraq and Afghanistan for giving away troop movements on camera, too. :v:

But again, kudos to him for standing up and telling Fox News and their audience that all the poo poo they spew about Benghazi are "obscene lie[s]". That had to take some serious loving stones to do, and he's definitely gone up quite a few points in my estimation. :patriot:

According to Wikipedia, he's not a huge fan of Michelle Malkin either.

"In 2007, Geraldo was involved in a dispute with fellow Fox colleague Michelle Malkin, Malkin announced that she would not return to The O'Reilly Factor, claiming that Fox News had mishandled a dispute over derogatory statements made about her by Geraldo in a Boston Globe interview. Rivera, while objecting to her views on immigration, says, "Michelle Malkin is the most vile, hateful commentator I've ever met in my life. She actually believes that neighbors should start snitching out neighbors, and we should be deporting people." He added, "It's good she's in D.C., and I'm in New York. I'd spit on her if I saw her", Rivera later apologized for his comments."

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Ninja Bob posted:

This is one type of caller, which is always obnoxious, but there's also the risk that spouting unhinged craziness will make the literal crazies call in, and those can be amusing. I was listening to Andy Dean on the way home from work, who appears to be some up-and-coming Hannity type, and he had to constantly tell his callers not to say that Obama is like Hitler or Stalin, because apparently they "lose sponsors" from that kind of talk. The smaller shows don't seem to have as tight call screening, so even more of the conspiracy theorists get on the air.

It should be noted that the biggest conservative shock jock in the Houston and East Texas market, Michael Berry, traffics in direct comparisons between Obama and the Third Reich without any substantial backlash.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Or perhaps not. http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/01/kudos-to-cnn-for-dana-loeschs-mysterious-three/191051 CNN seems to have shelved her.

I've heard rumors that she's about to get a national show. Maybe it's just that I live in St. Louis, but I'm hearing her name everywhere on right-wing websites. Probably because she blogs for most of them.

Also she had a huge crush on Breitbart (and followed him around like a puppy: (http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bbmmfa.jpg) and was nearly in tears on her radio show the day he died. It was loving glorious.

She's not a parody like Coulter, she seems to legitimately run on pure hatred.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

In more Rupert hates Christie stuff we have this editorial saying politicize Sandy or else:

http://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/04/murdochs-ny-post-to-gov-christie-politicize-hur/191124

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I'm watching Dick Morris on Fox News at the moment going on about how all the polls that show an Obama advantage are wrong 'because of math'.

Looking at him... you have to wonder. How old is he? Actual whores, ideally, get to retire pretty young. But he's doing this duplicitous, two faced bullshit in his 60s. How would you not just get worn out?

I think the same thing occasionally about the likes of Limbaugh. The ones who clearly have never actually uttered a sincere word in their lives. At some point surely they must have enough money to retire comfortably. Is there some sort of foul vitality that comes with partisan, reactionary hackery? Do they keep going because they'd have nothing else going on otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

joedevola posted:

I'm watching Dick Morris on Fox News at the moment going on about how all the polls that show an Obama advantage are wrong 'because of math'.

Looking at him... you have to wonder. How old is he? Actual whores, ideally, get to retire pretty young. But he's doing this duplicitous, two faced bullshit in his 60s. How would you not just get worn out?

I think the same thing occasionally about the likes of Limbaugh. The ones who clearly have never actually uttered a sincere word in their lives. At some point surely they must have enough money to retire comfortably. Is there some sort of foul vitality that comes with partisan, reactionary hackery? Do they keep going because they'd have nothing else going on otherwise?

They probably developed some really expensive habits they have to support. For example, could Rush keep flying to the Dominican Republic with jars full of viagra if he retired?