Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

rscott posted:

I prefer my fonts sans serif for extra aerodynamic efficiency.

Heh. It's easy to tell who's been to the track and who hasn't. Those serifs are for downforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So there will be a new RX-7 in 2017. Presumably Mazda will be a Chrysler subsidiary by that time. Who on earth makes product plans that far out?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Throatwarbler posted:

So there will be a new RX-7 in 2017. Presumably Mazda will be a Chrysler subsidiary by that time. Who on earth makes product plans that far out?

It's a way of generating hype. For all we know, it could be either a) already in pre-concept design or b) drumming up some hype to see if the market is even volatile enough. But with the success (so far) of the FR-S/BRZ, automakers will probably be jumping over themselves to make a small RWD-based sporty car; and who better than Mazda to bring back the car that was so successful? The RX-7 used to dominate that field :)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

So what, are they just totally ignoring the RX-8, or was that a retarded flipper baby of the glorious rotary awesomeness or whatever that the RX-7 was? Going by their numbering scheme I woulda guessed they'd call it the RX-9.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The control system between the front seats, where your hand naturally rests, is absolutely the best place to put your nav controls, and having to gorilla-arm a touch screen is the worst. I think the setup in the new A3 is just about the best possible configuration.

Hard controls for climate, controls between the seats for nav.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Subaru has released two pictures and some preliminary details of the all-new 2014 Forester that will make its public debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

The new Forester arrives with either a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine that produces 170 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque or a 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder engine that will make 250 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque.

The exterior adds some more refinement and the turbo model loses its iconic hood scoop – something some of us are glad to see go. Instead, the turbocharged Forester receives a unique front fascia, seen here in the image above. Subaru says that the Forester's fuel economy will improve, but final numbers have not been released. The Forester will debut a new six-speed manual transmission and a Lineartronic continuously variable transmission. (The CVT includes either six- or eight-speed manual modes so you can swap through the 'gears'.)

The 2.0 DIT motor in the JDM Legacy GT makes almost 300hp, so I'd assume they turn the wick up a bit for the next-gen WRX. Between the next-gen motor and the lessons learned from the BRZ, the new WRX should be awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sadly the Forester XT is still automatic-only, it seems (from the leaked Japanese brochures).

I'll miss you, hood scoop. It appears to be a top mounted intercooler still, just with an extra gap in the hood for feeding air.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The control system between the front seats, where your hand naturally rests, is absolutely the best place to put your nav controls, and having to gorilla-arm a touch screen is the worst. I think the setup in the new A3 is just about the best possible configuration.

Where's the stereo???

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The stereo is controlled through the big dial below the shifter, and displayed on either the big retractable display or the MFD between the gauges.

You can also DRAW LETTERS ON THE DIAL to enter addresses. :awesomelon:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sadly the Forester XT is still automatic-only, it seems (from the leaked Japanese brochures).

I'll miss you, hood scoop. It appears to be a top mounted intercooler still, just with an extra gap in the hood for feeding air.

I can see making the Forester a little less aggro but they know better than to get rid of the scoop on the WRX.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CharlesM posted:

Where's the stereo???

Music? While driving? Silly Americans, first you ask for cupholders, and now this!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Devyl posted:

It's a way of generating hype. For all we know, it could be either a) already in pre-concept design or b) drumming up some hype to see if the market is even volatile enough.

If it's a cleansheet design, this is when a company would start staffing the project, right? Definitely hype (as in, if they cancel it, it was just making news), but not unrealistic timeline wise.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Mercedes is really good at this, but I imagine only on their top end cars. The ergonomics in an S550 is just fantastic. I'll probably never be able to afford one, but my 82 year old CEO makes me program everything in his. What comes after that in terms of the luxury and cruiser? I'd guess the Maybach and Phantom are near or at the top.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 1, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hashal posted:

Mercedes is really good at this, but I imagine only on their top end cars. The ergonomics in an S550 is just fantastic. I'll probably never be able to afford one, but my 82 year old CEO makes me program everything in his. What comes after that in terms of the luxury and cruiser? I'd guess the Maybach and Phantom are near or at the top.

Maybach is going the way of the dodo in 2013. They didn't bother to update the car much, it's still based on the old S-class, but at the same hyper-luxury price. I hear they're going to be doing some clearance deals, though.

The Phantom is pretty much the only step up from an S-class, though I guess the Ghost kind of slips in between them.

7-series and A8 are both more like sidegrades or even downgrades to the S-class.

But I must say, Audi's got a nifty feature in that "draw letters on the dial to enter adresses" thing. Perhaps they've licensed Graffiti from Palm? :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybach is going the way of the dodo in 2013. They didn't bother to update the car much, it's still based on the old S-class, but at the same hyper-luxury price. I hear they're going to be doing some clearance deals, though.

The Phantom is pretty much the only step up from an S-class, though I guess the Ghost kind of slips in between them.

7-series and A8 are both more like sidegrades or even downgrades to the S-class.

But I must say, Audi's got a nifty feature in that "draw letters on the dial to enter adresses" thing. Perhaps they've licensed Graffiti from Palm? :v:

The A8 has had it since 2010, although it's on a seperate laptop-style touchpad. I imagine it's probably useful for the Chinese market where entering Chinese with a dial or whatever the gently caress the BMWs use is cumbersome.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

I can see why some people would be ambivalent about the scoop going, but why be glad to see it go? I guess some people just like things as staid as possible.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's bad for aerodynamics.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

RIP hood scoop, you'll be boosting in heaven little angel

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's bad for aerodynamics.

I guess. But what it loses in aerodynamics it makes up for 100 times over in :black101:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Funny, Autoblog just made mention of a new six-speed and a CVT for the Forester; is the former only going to be available in the base model? Seems stupid. Not sure how I feel about the CVT, but given that I would not ever have bought one of the terrible four-speed Subaru autos anyway I guess it's not an issue.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Funny, Autoblog just made mention of a new six-speed and a CVT for the Forester; is the former only going to be available in the base model? Seems stupid.

This is pretty much a thing with a lot of manufacturers right now. Mazda, Hyundai, Subaru, etc...

Base model with no or minimal options available with a stick, any package above base has an auto standard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Friar Zucchini posted:

So what, are they just totally ignoring the RX-8, or was that a retarded flipper baby of the glorious rotary awesomeness or whatever that the RX-7 was? Going by their numbering scheme I woulda guessed they'd call it the RX-9.

RX-7 had 2 doors, RX-8 had 4 doors, an RX-9 would have to have 6 doors.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

RX-7 had 2 doors, RX-8 had 4 doors, an RX-9 would have to have 6 doors.

full-scale cargo van with dual opening rear doors and a rotary engine :black101:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CornHolio posted:

full-scale cargo van with dual opening rear doors and a rotary engine :black101:

the secret is when you open the cargo area its just one giant rotary spinning like the diesel engine on a battleship. This will also make the van hop at idle, low rider style. BosozukoX9 new for 2017

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Funny, Autoblog just made mention of a new six-speed and a CVT for the Forester; is the former only going to be available in the base model? Seems stupid. Not sure how I feel about the CVT, but given that I would not ever have bought one of the terrible four-speed Subaru autos anyway I guess it's not an issue.

From the press release attached to the Autoblog article:

quote:

Transmission

2.5-liter models: 6-speed manual or Lineartronic CVT

2.0-liter turbo: high-torque CVT with 6-speed and 8-speed manual modes and Hill Descent Control

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Steve French posted:

From the press release attached to the Autoblog article:

Sorry I missed it. Seriously, hill descent control on a Forester?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

I am down for this.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Sorry I missed it. Seriously, hill descent control on a Forester?

Marketing term for engine braking on their CVT.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
So the Hyundai group got caught cheating on EPA fuel economy.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm

I'm surprised this isn't more common, it seems like manufacturers are gaming the system like crazy. I see many cars now that seem to have higher ratings than older cars that I know get better mileage. It's very difficult to accurately compare fuel economy though, because some places have pure gas, some have E10, weather varies so much between different locations, and some people have heavy feet. I do about 23 in my tiny little Miata while a friend of mine has proven that he gets 26 mpg mixed in a mod motor Mustang.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Weinertron posted:

So the Hyundai group got caught cheating on EPA fuel economy.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm

I'm surprised this isn't more common, it seems like manufacturers are gaming the system like crazy. I see many cars now that seem to have higher ratings than older cars that I know get better mileage. It's very difficult to accurately compare fuel economy though, because some places have pure gas, some have E10, weather varies so much between different locations, and some people have heavy feet. I do about 23 in my tiny little Miata while a friend of mine has proven that he gets 26 mpg mixed in a mod motor Mustang.

Every manufacturer does this. Go on any given brand's fan forum and you'll find hordes of threads of people asking why they can't match the mileage that was on the sticker. EPA needs to investigate everyone 'cuz they're all cheating.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Naky posted:

Every manufacturer does this. Go on any given brand's fan forum and you'll find hordes of threads of people asking why they can't match the mileage that was on the sticker. EPA needs to investigate everyone 'cuz they're all cheating.

Volkswagen TDI models, on the other hand, usually understate their mileage for some reason.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Hyundai was bullshitting the numbers way worse then everyone else.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah, I'll buy that. A Hyundai Elantra is the only rental car I haven't been able to beat the estimated mileage with. Only 38 mpg highway, total rip off.

What's surprising is how few people complain about their optimistic speedometers. Now that I have a Garmin with a precise speed readout, some cars drive me nuts on the highway with their +5mph speedometer boost. I can't help but wonder if it's driving up the odometer too. If that's the case then even calculator math is netting me incorrect fuel economy numbers. :kratos:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Volkswagen TDI models, on the other hand, usually understate their mileage for some reason.

I haven't found that at all, with both the TSI and TDI (especially the smaller ones) VWs are difficult to get much better than their published figures, whereas with something lower tech like an Accord its easy to significantly beat the official figures.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The problem with the fuel economy test is it's based on emissions, not actual fuel consumption, and the conditions presented are very easy to game. That test is why the skip-shift exists - GM figured out that if you slap a solenoid on a manual gearbox to force a 1-4 shift under a specific RPM and load condition instead of a 1-2 shift, you'd improve mileage on the test enough to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

The problem with the fuel economy test is it's based on emissions, not actual fuel consumption, and the conditions presented are very easy to game. That test is why the skip-shift exists - GM figured out that if you slap a solenoid on a manual gearbox to force a 1-4 shift under a specific RPM and load condition instead of a 1-2 shift, you'd improve mileage on the test enough to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

What? The skip shift does improve mileage, it's "actual fuel consumption". What does emissions have to do with it?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Funny -- one writer for Car and Driver remarked how he was able to beat EPA estimates on a long road trip in their long-term Sonata 2.0T.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

angryhampster posted:

Funny -- one writer for Car and Driver remarked how he was able to beat EPA estimates on a long road trip in their long-term Sonata 2.0T.

The Sonata 2.0T isn't on the list of models to be revised. Only the Hybrid is.

This is a pretty big egg on their face considering they've been hammering that whole "40mpg across the board" thing in their ads for so long.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Throatwarbler posted:

What? The skip shift does improve mileage, it's "actual fuel consumption". What does emissions have to do with it?
In the UK, they are linked, but in the reverse manner - your official emissions grade is calculated from the official fuel economy figures.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

The problem with the fuel economy test is it's based on emissions, not actual fuel consumption, and the conditions presented are very easy to game.
Using the carbon coming out of the tailpipe is how they measure emissions from gas-burning vehicles.

If you're curious, the US tests are documented at: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

You'll notice that the "highway" test is only about twelve minutes, with an average speed under 50mph, for example. Is there any surprise I see different mileage when I set the cruise at 65mph for three hours at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

MrKatharsis posted:

Yeah, I'll buy that. A Hyundai Elantra is the only rental car I haven't been able to beat the estimated mileage with. Only 38 mpg highway, total rip off.

What's surprising is how few people complain about their optimistic speedometers. Now that I have a Garmin with a precise speed readout, some cars drive me nuts on the highway with their +5mph speedometer boost. I can't help but wonder if it's driving up the odometer too. If that's the case then even calculator math is netting me incorrect fuel economy numbers. :kratos:
I noticed the same with my car; speedometer reads suspiciously close to 5% fast at virtually all speeds. The odometer appears to be spot-on accurate, though. Garmin shows accurate, but what really got me was then when I pull up speed from the OBDII port, it matches the GPS speed, not the speedometer! What The gently caress? The cars knows exactly how fast it's going, yet intentionally displays a faster speed?

I blame German speedometer laws which permit them to be 0-10% fast with severe punishments for manufacturers that show slower speeds. loving Germans!