Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wikipedia fails: "footbag" is also a slang term for "sock". I believe Bertram Wooster said it.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

getting some pretty strong pedo vibes off that guy

they're safe if they stay more than 2 feet from him since he'd run out of breath going after them

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A typical portrayal of the symptoms in the media can be seen in the characterization of the crazy cat lady, Eleanor Abernathy, in The Simpsons.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_clicking

this article is epic in scope, a few highlights:

Wikipedia posted:

When the noise is heard repeatedly at a jagged rhythm which is "mundane and often rhythmically repetitive",[7] it can sound like a "locust convention",[1] and can have a psychological effect on the doer or anyone in the vicinity. The action can either be a conscious or a subconscious action. It is often associated with boredom, inattentiveness[8] thinking, hiding something, nervousness,[9][10] stress, or the "irrational result of anxiety".[11] It can also be suggested that the doer's "mind [is] elsewhere or that [they are] nervous and overwhelmed by [their] responsibilities".[12] Pen clicking represents very high tension,[13] and is one type of harassment that can be done while on foot.[14]

A phenomenon that has been described as "mission to mars"[17] involves "clicking a pen on then [letting go on a table] to see how high it bounces". This utilises the spring inside the pen which builds up elastic potential energy and releases kinetic energy in the form of vertical motion. The Facebook enthusiast page has 7226 likes.[18]

Clicking a pen is a type of autistic stimming behavior, but it is unique in that "a person can do in public without drawing much attention to themselves," as opposed to some others which are not socially acceptable.[51]

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
— Kayla Tasker, 11, sixth grade[27]
— Ian Miller aka impactEDnurse [1]
— Mark Rich, Hidden Evil [45]

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

A typical portrayal of the symptoms in the media can be seen in the characterization of the crazy cat lady, Eleanor Abernathy, in The Simpsons.

i'm shocked that there was no mention of the holy grail

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Cold on a Cob posted:

:pwn:

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Pakled posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_and_Alexander#Landseer.27s_Alexander_and_Diogenes

The painting in turn was to become the inspiration for the anthropomorphic dogs in Disney's Lady and the Tramp.[36] Charles Darwin and Briton Rivière agreed with each other that the hair of the Alexander dog was inaccurately represented.[37]

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cold on a Cob posted:

Holy poo poo. They even tried to delete it earlier this year, and people wanted to keep it. :psyduck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Pen_clicking

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

quote:

A Davenport desk, (sometimes originally known as a Devonport desk[1])
what does sometimes originally even mean

also lol@Ottomans link under surfaces linking to the turks

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Races#Race_results

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cold on a Cob posted:

A phenomenon that has been described as "mission to mars"[17] involves "clicking a pen on then [letting go on a table] to see how high it bounces". This utilises the spring inside the pen which builds up elastic potential energy and releases kinetic energy in the form of vertical motion. The Facebook enthusiast page has 7226 likes.[18]

myself in junior high forever

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

YF-23 posted:

myself in junior high forever

i like the "This utilises the spring inside the pen which builds up elastic potential energy and releases kinetic energy in the form of vertical motion" part.

more words = better than

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

filling erasers with straightened out staples then getting them stuck in the foam drop-ceiling tiles supremacy

also i made some of those sperg watch battery + magnet + led and launched them with a rubber band onto the 60ft ceiling of the school gym

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Socracheese posted:

filling erasers with straightened out staples then getting them stuck in the foam drop-ceiling tiles supremacy

also i made some of those sperg watch battery + magnet + led and launched them with a rubber band onto the 60ft ceiling of the school gym

ppl would bring forks to 6th period english senior year, and a basketball player would jump up and stick it in the ceiling above the teacher's head before she came into the room

we had about 20-30 of them up there when one day mid-lecture (not in our period sadly) one of them worked loose and fell down and hit her on top of the head

she slowly looked up and then her face got so red that she had to leave school for the rest of the day

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

one kid's dad at my elementary school was a drug rep, so he got all sorts of pens with names of meds on them. we found that reassembling a certain kind a certain way mad a really excellent gun, making some sort of weird elementary school black market along the way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

theflyingexecutive posted:

one kid's dad at my elementary school was a drug rep, so he got all sorts of pens with names of meds on them. we found that reassembling a certain kind a certain way mad a really excellent gun, making some sort of weird elementary school black market along the way

remember popping pencils, when one kid would hold out a pencil horizontally in both hands and the other kid would try to flick another pencil and whoever's broke was the loser

yeah i had a pencil that i split down the middle with a razor blade, replaced all of the graphite except for the very end with a straightened coathanger, and glued it back together

i was unstoppable and nobody ever figured it out

e: dont even get me started on the thumb wars

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
replaced bone and muscle with adamantium and myomer
unstoppable and nobody ever figured it out

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Kox

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jonny 290 posted:

remember popping pencils, when one kid would hold out a pencil horizontally in both hands and the other kid would try to flick another pencil and whoever's broke was the loser

yeah i had a pencil that i split down the middle with a razor blade, replaced all of the graphite except for the very end with a straightened coathanger, and glued it back together

this loving owned. we'd chew the eraser head off and bite the metal into a sharp axe but this was deemed illegal in some circles

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

#REDIRECT [[The OP]]

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Yodzilla posted:

this loving owned. we'd chew the eraser head off and bite the metal into a sharp axe but this was deemed illegal in some circles

on the stupider end of the spectrum, there was this weird trend of kids rubbing erasers on their skin until the top layer came off and they got a wicked scab

some kid was working on metallica logo and got to METALL before they called his parents

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

stories from the trenches

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Jonny 290 posted:

on the stupider end of the spectrum, there was this weird trend of kids rubbing erasers on their skin until the top layer came off and they got a wicked scab

some kid was working on metallica logo and got to METALL before they called his parents

that's certainly something i missed out on

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i had the p weird experience where these little plastic pellets were everywhere and for some reason being used as currency. i foresaw the bubble and cashed out with a sweet pen that shot darts :whatup:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
sometimes i feel like i missed out on the quintessential childhood experience. the weirdest/funnest thing we did as kids was form gangs and pummel each other with basketballs at recess until one side stopped moving

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i had the p weird experience where these little plastic pellets were everywhere and for some reason being used as currency. i foresaw the bubble and cashed out with a sweet pen that shot darts :whatup:

One of my grade schools had a short-lived economy based on coupons for a local amusement park. Somebody gave me a huge stack for no good reason, and I was able to buy "Metal Health" from a classmate. :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I made a good chunk of change printing out premade sheets for technical drawing class on our laser printer (not cheating and doing the work itself, just the framing and name/date boxes and so on which would otherwise have to be drawn by hand identically on every assignment). didn't keep track of it properly but it was probably in the several tens of dollars

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Pakled posted:

sometimes i feel like i missed out on the quintessential childhood experience. the weirdest/funnest thing we did as kids was form gangs and pummel each other with basketballs at recess until one side stopped moving

at my school every recess all the males would just run out to the field out back and wail on each other in some lord of the flies free for all, except it was more just knocking each other over instead of killing

i wish the places i work/ed for did this

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

I had one of these

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FEMA summer camp posted:

at my school every recess all the males would just run out to the field out back and wail on each other in some lord of the flies free for all, except it was more just knocking each other over instead of killing

i wish the places i work/ed for did this

welcome to the republican party

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

FEMA summer camp posted:

yeah that's pretty much what recess was for us too

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Sexwale

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensational_spelling

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

that doesn't count bc its not his real name, it was a "typo"

(his real name is friend of the family ainus)

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol a black conservative

Donkwich fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice