Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
I'm looking for a good system for a post apocalyptic campaign. I like combat to be DEADLY with serious and permanent repercussions like limb loss. The grittier the better. Basic survival should be a pressing concern.

Any suggestions?

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

hairrorist posted:

I'm looking for a good system for a post apocalyptic campaign. I like combat to be DEADLY with serious and permanent repercussions like limb loss. The grittier the better. Basic survival should be a pressing concern.

Any suggestions?

GURPS will kill a motherfucker dead if they're dumb, and there's supposed to be a post-apoc instant game (like Action and Dungeon Fantasy) coming soon.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Apocalypse World. The theme's in the name, and combat can be pretty brutally swift (unless you're a gunlugger, in which case you're an absolute beast---but will likely attract a proportionate amount of heat looking for your head).

Adding in penalties for limb loss would probably be a trivial matter. It's very easily hackable.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks guys. I'm also looking into Tribe 8. I've heard great things about it.

Isn't GURPS kind of a pain in the rear end to work with? Out of all my years of gaming, I've not yet played with that system.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GURPS puts a lot of work on the GM since unless you do one of the worked examples like Dungeon Fantasy you have to go through the rules and pick which ones you're using, which traits the characters can use, and such. It's more like a kit for making an RPG than a ready-to-use game. But that's where its incredible flexibility comes from.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

hairrorist posted:

Thanks guys. I'm also looking into Tribe 8. I've heard great things about it.

Isn't GURPS kind of a pain in the rear end to work with? Out of all my years of gaming, I've not yet played with that system.

You could try Savage Worlds with the optional "Gritty Damage" rules. They're pretty harsh, but the system is overall way easier to deal with then GURPS.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Savage Worlds is one I've been meaning to pick up, but there's so very many editions that I have no idea where to start.

What's the difference between the regular, the explorer, the deluxe, and the deluxe explorer, for instance? And why haven't they beheaded their marketing guy yet?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

hectorgrey posted:

By the way, what system would people recommend for someone who wants to run a game in the Wheel of Time setting? I'd prefer a crunchy setting that would allow me to run a duel between two master swordsmen and have it be interesting to play through (if it isn't that interesting to watch, I may pick one of the other players to run it while I focus on everyone else). The system I was considering was The Riddle of Steel (check my posts in the FATAL and friends thread for more details regarding the system), because it does free form spell casting very well, and does one on one combat very well.

So, yeah, any suggestions?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

hairrorist posted:

Savage Worlds is one I've been meaning to pick up, but there's so very many editions that I have no idea where to start.

What's the difference between the regular, the explorer, the deluxe, and the deluxe explorer, for instance? And why haven't they beheaded their marketing guy yet?

Deluxe Explorer's Edition is the newest, and conviently, the cheapest version of the rules. Just go with that one.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

hairrorist posted:

Deluxe and Deluxe Explorer are the same version, and the most recent version of the Savage Worlds rules. The difference between SW:D and SW:DEx are the size and price of the books. If you're wondering why they sell the same version of the book in $30 and $10 variants, they got a lot of fan response to sell a normal sized book.

Speaking of gritty, deadly systems, there's always ManMythLegend's Savage X-Com rules hack.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SageNytell posted:

Godlike, the precursor to Wild Talents, is a One-Roll Engine game set in WW2 where both sides are using mildly superpowered soldiers.

I'd only heard of this game before and wasn't very familiar with it. I think this may actually be what I wanted!

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
So, uh, this is a little embarrasing. I want to do something based on the Tinkerbell movies, and it should be reasonably rules-light. There should obviously be something to handle various types of magic for the animal, plant, light, water etc. fairies. Obviously also crafting, and I also want weaponry including automatic firearms and explosives. Also, something like necromancy and/or death magic. And flight is also a must, of course.

I also would like something to support the kind of backbiting "social combat" you see in World of Darkness.

If mood comes into it, I'm going for grimdark, rather than the feel of the movies. Sorry this isn't much to go on, but I'm still in the daydreaming phase of planning.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Before I go and attempt some sort of homebrew, I figured I'd ask:

I'm considering cooking up a campaign setting based on the MYST games, most likely taking place in the modern day with an archaeological bent (ie, URU), but possibly with a secondary campaign taking place before the fall of the D'ni civilization. Basic tabletop plot stuff, really.

The world is incredibly dense when it comes to culture, art, and especially writing. And the series is known for its puzzles, being adventure games, though they needn't be a focus. There also tends to be a decent amount of danger yet relatively little overt violence.

So I need a system that's...
-More or less non-combat-oriented.
-With a good social system.
-Largely exploratory or investigation-focused.

Thoughts?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I'm doing a game based on the concept of a "prison planet". Basically, aliens with god-like powers have taken over the earth and in exchange for handing over all of their power (government, military, essentially everything), humanity now lives in decadence and paradise. Essentially, no work and all play. All the food you want, no responsibilites, no work to do, long life and all sorts of other goodies.

So, obviously there will be a few undesirables who get sent to a "prison planet". It's been in operation for around 250 years. I want the system to reflect the fact that there is a difference between the fresh meat and the children who grew up on the planet. The main aims will be exploration, working for various factions and combat. It's essentially a post apocalyptic setting on a different planet.

I want players to enjoy firefights but also make melee viable. I also want a system to be as realistic as possible (i.e. no bullet sponges). What kind of system would you recommend?

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Project1 posted:

So, uh, this is a little embarrasing. I want to do something based on the Tinkerbell movies, and it should be reasonably rules-light. There should obviously be something to handle various types of magic for the animal, plant, light, water etc. fairies. Obviously also crafting, and I also want weaponry including automatic firearms and explosives. Also, something like necromancy and/or death magic. And flight is also a must, of course.
The bolded part leads me to believe that you'll want some kind of toolbox system rather than a turnkey faerie RPG system. Maybe Strands of FATE?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I want to run a system where the characters are seasoned investigators trying to solve murders in the coal country of Eastern Kentucky, with some suspense/horror elements added in. Combat should be a possibility but not a priority; investigation and narrative interaction should rule the day -- basically, narrative heavy, with the PCs getting input into the bad things that can happen.

Preferably, I want to incorporate dramatic flaws that reward PCs for problems that put them front and center (say, giving points for an alcoholic character being properly roleplayed and having it affect the session). Think Justified + spooky mountain folk or one of the countless serial killer films.

I was considering doing a version of FATE (we own and have run a few games of Spirit of the Century, but this will be modern and I don't want this to be as "pulpy" so I would need to change some of the rules). I had Gumshoe recommended to me, but I don't know if it has a generic corebook, or if any of the settings would be appropriate.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Gumshoe would be a pretty good fit. While it doesn't come with a generic rulebook, pretty much any of the games that use it can have the setting stripped out quite easily.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

hectorgrey posted:

Gumshoe would be a pretty good fit. While it doesn't come with a generic rulebook, pretty much any of the games that use it can have the setting stripped out quite easily.

I second this suggestion, and I'd say Trail of Cthulhu is probably the Gumshoe book that'd fit what you're describing the closest out of the box.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sega 32X posted:

I want to run a system where the characters are seasoned investigators trying to solve murders in the coal country of Eastern Kentucky, with some suspense/horror elements added in. Combat should be a possibility but not a priority; investigation and narrative interaction should rule the day -- basically, narrative heavy, with the PCs getting input into the bad things that can happen.

Preferably, I want to incorporate dramatic flaws that reward PCs for problems that put them front and center (say, giving points for an alcoholic character being properly roleplayed and having it affect the session). Think Justified + spooky mountain folk or one of the countless serial killer films.

I was considering doing a version of FATE (we own and have run a few games of Spirit of the Century, but this will be modern and I don't want this to be as "pulpy" so I would need to change some of the rules). I had Gumshoe recommended to me, but I don't know if it has a generic corebook, or if any of the settings would be appropriate.
I do think a GUMSHOE game would be a good option, but it does not have a "generic" corebook because there is always a powerful external source of threat (Cthulu, monsters in general, vampires, terrorists, supervillains); in terms of the way of rewarding the "properly roleplayed" stuff, you could refresh General pool points or hand out little bonuses to rolls. The game does lack "dramatic flaws" in the sense you're talking about; Trail of Cthulu has Drives, Pillars of Sanity, and Sources of Stability, but these are things that the GM invokes, threatens, or destroys rather than things the player RPs for a mechanical benefit.

Played non-pulp, Trail of Cthulu serial killers will definitely win some of the time. Combat is "problematic" (compared to, say, D&D 4e, where its risk/reward is more akin to a pro sports career) and can result in PC death. Played "pulp", they can still win, but PCs start with more character build points and higher max health.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm looking for a system for a small campaign idea I'm thinking up, after playing a bunch of Earthbound. Basically, the player characters are children (~10 years old) who have stumbled into some sort of bordering world to ours (sort of a magical counterpart, much more nature, not a lot of civilization) and are essentially tasked with stopping some malevolent entity from breaking through into our world. I guess a good thing to compare it to is the D&D television show...ish.

So, while they're kids, they still have to bash things' heads in, and as such are given abilities based on the item they bring with them into the otherworld (ie the kid with the baseball bat can swing it with great force, the kid with the stuffed animal can shapeshift into a strong creature, the kid with the baton can shoot a variety of elemental attacks with it etc). Armor is done through charms and amulets and what have you, not actual armor.

I prefer less roleplaying, as the people I play with aren't huge into that sort of thing, but some is definitely okay - the big issue is that since these are kids, it's hard for them to have a history to roleplay off of.

A big thing I'd like to implement is the removal of XP (or points, like GURPS) and instead have discrete jumps in strength - once they free an elemental stone (which are big parts of the campaign) - they gain some big powers, or once they complete a small sidequest someone gets a moderately useful ability.

Ruleset: Normal or lower
Support: Probably user-generated, as my levelling system will likely have me figuring out balance on-the-fly
Chargen: Involved or lower is fine, though I'm planning to create the base characters myself and letting the players flesh out the ones they choose. It looks like simple characters would be better, though, despite how long it takes to make them.
Setting: Neutral, I suppose.

I'm thinking I might end up using a heavily modified version of something, but I can't quite figure out what would be best - a big part of this is because not a lot of systems are available to preview online, so I was hoping someone could give me a place to start looking.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 1, 2012

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Cinematic Unisystem, perhaps? Sure, it uses XP by default, but that kind of stuff can always be done behind the scenes. It's a pretty simple system to use, though I'm not sure how I'd implement some of the powers you want. GURPS might actually be easier to make fit your ideas due to its modular design; sure, all the improvements have a points value, but you can always just offer improvements of similar points values whenever those discreet jumps in power come along, and otherwise ignore the idea of points. The recruitment post for the XCOM game is a pretty good example of how you can obfuscate most of the system from the players in that regard. Those are the systems that come to mind for me, anyway.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
FATE could work that pretty well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Piell posted:

FATE could work that pretty well.

I was looking at FATE, but it seems that its based more around roleplaying than anything else - in addition to having involved pasts for your heroes, which would seem a little out-of-place for kids (though it would be interesting to have phases where the kid takes a year of martial arts or something, or is nerdy and plays video games). I might have to look into it more, as I've only read the character generation stuff and skimmed over the section about resolving skills. Combat in particular looks kind of strange, as someone who's only ever played games with stuff like HP.

hectorgrey posted:

Cinematic Unisystem, perhaps? Sure, it uses XP by default, but that kind of stuff can always be done behind the scenes. It's a pretty simple system to use, though I'm not sure how I'd implement some of the powers you want. GURPS might actually be easier to make fit your ideas due to its modular design; sure, all the improvements have a points value, but you can always just offer improvements of similar points values whenever those discreet jumps in power come along, and otherwise ignore the idea of points. The recruitment post for the XCOM game is a pretty good example of how you can obfuscate most of the system from the players in that regard. Those are the systems that come to mind for me, anyway.

The Cinematic Unisystem, at a glance, looks like what I might want. It appears to be a heavily-simplified form of GURPS, though I'd need to look into it more. I like the idea of drama points, too.

I've run a campaign with GURPS in the past, and I might be able to pull of a very modified/restricted version of it. I'll check out the XCOM game to see how to do something like that. One benefit of GURPS here is the low health points. I don't want these characters to be taking beatings left and right, I want them to be dodging most attacks and for each actual hit to hurt.

Edit: The Burning Wheel system also kind of intrigues me, but apparently finding materials for it is not very easy, so I don't know exactly how well it would fit.

Double Edit: Actually, now that I'm reading more into FATE and its combat and advancement systems, I think I may end up using this. It definitely has some aspects that I want, and I don't see why I couldn't add in some modifications if the situation arises. Thanks!

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 2, 2012

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I'm looking for a system for a small campaign idea I'm thinking up, after playing a bunch of Earthbound. Basically, the player characters are children (~10 years old) who have stumbled into some sort of bordering world to ours (sort of a magical counterpart, much more nature, not a lot of civilization) and are essentially tasked with stopping some malevolent entity from breaking through into our world. I guess a good thing to compare it to is the D&D television show...ish.

So, while they're kids, they still have to bash things' heads in, and as such are given abilities based on the item they bring with them into the otherworld (ie the kid with the baseball bat can swing it with great force, the kid with the stuffed animal can shapeshift into a strong creature, the kid with the baton can shoot a variety of elemental attacks with it etc). Armor is done through charms and amulets and what have you, not actual armor.

There's a game called Grimm that is exactly this. I haven't played it, but I have a copy kicking around and it looks pretty great. I especially like the art for the "nerdy kid" class having a copy of Blue Planet.

There is also a game in an apparently never-ending playtest called The Magical Land of Yeld that is also this exact idea. Another one I haven't played, but you can check out the current playtest docs or a quickstart adventure. Oh wait, he also has the playtest docs up on his old site.

Finally, Anima Prime is also free, and totally made to be the Last Airbender/Final Fantasy RPG, with an emphasis on lighthearted fights with sweet special powers and rolling lots of dice. Worth a read at least.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: User-Generated to Established
CHARGEN: Involved
SETTING: Universal to Neutral

I'm looking for a good fantasy system to do a long running fantasy campaign, our group is going to be creating the game world ourselves. More low-fantasy Game of Thrones-ish stuff, probably a heavier emphasis on narrative than combat, but some good tactical crunch is fine too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LordZoric posted:

I'm looking for a good fantasy system to do a long running fantasy campaign, our group is going to be creating the game world ourselves. More low-fantasy Game of Thrones-ish stuff, probably a heavier emphasis on narrative than combat, but some good tactical crunch is fine too.

This is the textbook case for Dungeon World.

creating the game world ourselves ? check
heavy emphasis on narrative ? check
some tactical crunch ? check ?
long running ? check, the book for levels past 10 should be out by the time your group gets there.

Well, Dungeon World for a party-based game. If you want fantasy sandbox, steal some of the playbooks from the World of Conan AW hack.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

LordZoric posted:

Gonna suggest Reign for this one, especially if you are thinking of having any GoT style power struggles. Plus, if you want to make your own setting, you can pick up the Reign Enchiridion (just the rules, no fluff) for cheap.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

This is a reverse question: I really like the look of DUST / DUST TACTICS (the miniatures game) -WW2 mechs is pretty appealing to me; but I never see any discussions about it on the forums. If I don't see people talking about it here It kind of implies to me that it isn't a good system / game / popular.

Can anyone give me a rundown of whether or not its a good game to buy into?

I don't want to give any more money to Games workshop because I don't like their business ethics.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=173

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

LordZoric posted:

Might want to take a look at Fantasy DICE. It's fairly cheap, and I reckon it'll suit your purposes; it assumes that the player characters are a cut above the average person, but by reducing the amount of Trigger Ammo, you can reduce how much this affects the game. It has magic, but this is rare, powerful and dangerous - and easily removed if you don't like it. It uses a semi-class based system, in that the Path a character follows is along the lines of an archetype, but the skills a character has aren't restricted by Path, and crossing into another Path for its special abilities is easily done.

The combat is fast paced, fairly tactical and very dangerous; a single good hit can have potentially permanent consequences (especially if you use the Trauma source book by the same company), even if the person on the receiving end survives, making combat something the characters are likely to want to avoid unless they have a very good reason to enter into it; especially since that very good reason will likely allow them to use their Trigger Ammo to tilt the odds in their favour.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Parkreiner posted:

There's a game called Grimm that is exactly this. I haven't played it, but I have a copy kicking around and it looks pretty great. I especially like the art for the "nerdy kid" class having a copy of Blue Planet.

There is also a game in an apparently never-ending playtest called The Magical Land of Yeld that is also this exact idea. Another one I haven't played, but you can check out the current playtest docs or a quickstart adventure. Oh wait, he also has the playtest docs up on his old site.

Finally, Anima Prime is also free, and totally made to be the Last Airbender/Final Fantasy RPG, with an emphasis on lighthearted fights with sweet special powers and rolling lots of dice. Worth a read at least.

These are great suggestions, especially Grimm - really looking forward to checking that out. Thanks!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

LordZoric posted:

You might want to have a look at Legends of Anglerre, if you want involved character generation that plays into narrative down the road. FATE's good for that.

The book provides a couple of examples for how to implement the titular setting but it's pretty generic overall, and before it hits any of them it gives you a way for everybody to chip in creating the initial adventure map.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Morpheus posted:

These are great suggestions, especially Grimm - really looking forward to checking that out. Thanks!

Happy to help. If you do play Grimm, make sure to come back and tell us how it went, I'm curious.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
I just saw 'Trollhunter' and I want to run something kind of like that.

Modern setting with the PC's fighting monsters on the fringes of civilization/in the wilderness. I know white wolf has a monster hunter thing in their line, but I'm not really sure if that's what I'm looking for - I want to do large scale cinematic battles against giant enemies, with some wilderness exploration and survival, and maybe some investigative elements.

No high tech, little or no magic (for the PC's, magic monsters work).

Don't have any real specific requirements as to how complicated the rules are or anything, but I'd take a simple solution over a complex one.

Sears Poncho fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 14, 2012

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
There's Cinematic Unisystem, as used to create the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG, though that's more monster slaying, less survival and poo poo. GURPS is pretty good at most things, so long as you know how to get what you want out of it. Same with BRP, which is probably easier to get to work the way you want, but I don't have the stand-alone rules so I couldn't say so for sure. I know that Mongoose RuneQuest 2 has rules for fighting monsters that are big enough that you can't reach their torso, but I'm not sure whether or not BRP has the same.

Unfortunately, not many games have been designed with the idea of fighting big rear end monsters in mind (at least, not that I've seen; I could be wrong), so a fairly universal system is probably the best idea.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

hectorgrey posted:

Unfortunately, not many games have been designed with the idea of fighting big rear end monsters in mind

Dammit, how is this not a thing yet? Shadow of the Colossus came out like 5 years ago, you'd think someone would've whipped up some PnP rules for some serious rear end giant fights.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Last Stand comes to mind.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

UnCO3 posted:

Last Stand comes to mind.

Looks pretty cool, although more sci-fi than what I was looking for. Definitely going to grab a copy of that though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sears Poncho posted:

Looks pretty cool, although more sci-fi than what I was looking for. Definitely going to grab a copy of that though.

Other, less sci if settings are being worked on for it.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Sears Poncho posted:

I just saw 'Trollhunter' and I want to run something kind of like that.

Modern setting with the PC's fighting monsters on the fringes of civilization/in the wilderness. I know white wolf has a monster hunter thing in their line, but I'm not really sure if that's what I'm looking for - I want to do large scale cinematic battles against giant enemies, with some wilderness exploration and survival, and maybe some investigative elements.

No high tech, little or no magic (for the PC's, magic monsters work).

Don't have any real specific requirements as to how complicated the rules are or anything, but I'd take a simple solution over a complex one.

Monster of the Week might fit the bill, although I'm not sure if it has anything specifically focused on huge monsters.

Edit: Should probably mention it uses the Apocalypse World system, so nice and simple. Preview the playbooks at http://genericgames.co.nz/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Monster of the Week might fit the bill, although I'm not sure if it has anything specifically focused on huge monsters.

Edit: Should probably mention it uses the Apocalypse World system, so nice and simple. Preview the playbooks at http://genericgames.co.nz/

That just might work, I'll have to take a closer look, give some thought to how I want combat to play out and see if it'll work. Good find.

I already have apocalypse world too, and I bet there might even be a few things in there that could be reskinned to supplement.