Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

muscles like this? posted:

The weirdest thing about Abraxas is how its somehow an adaptation of comic book legend Jack Kirby's Fourth World.
Yeah, anti-life equation and mother boxes completely disconnected from anything else.

I wonder what the story is behind that - if they couldn't get the license/budget to do it for real, or if it was just a hack writer who figured nobody would notice (I'm guessing the latter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Bedurndurn posted:

They keep the riff to the same rating as the movie, so an R rated movie might have hot uncensored potty mouth, but if the riff is of a PG-13 movie, they'll bleep any swears in the riff.

Ahhhhh. That makes sense, then. Thanks!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They definitely will let 'poo poo' go in anything that's R. But I don't think they ever drop any uncensored f-bombs.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Deadpool posted:

They definitely will let 'poo poo' go in anything that's R. But I don't think they ever drop any uncensored f-bombs.
I also recall a bunch of riffs where characters in the movie will swear, not exclusively pertaining to f-bombs, and then the riff involved repeating the word will get bleeped. They're a bit weird about how they censor swear words.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Deadpool posted:

I know Bill says motherfucker a few times in the Saw riff he does with Kevin.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Bedurndurn posted:

I know Bill says motherfucker a few times in the Saw riff he does with Kevin.

Yeah, something tells me it's more Mike's thing than Kevin or Bill.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Practical Demon posted:

Yeah, something tells me it's more Mike's thing than Kevin or Bill.
He's a positive role model!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

fenix down posted:

He's a positive role model!

He's the world's funniest Republican.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Sometimes I think the bleeps make it funnier, because it emphasizes that the word is something you're not supposed to say but the movie is so bad it drives them to swear anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So there's another crazy short released, but it isn't At Your Fingertips: Cylinders. Come on guys, release it for the rest of us already!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Also, they plan on rebroadcasting Manos in January, and then are taking requests for a second live show as well.

https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/264764801916469248

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

IUG posted:

Also, they plan on rebroadcasting Manos in January, and then are taking requests for a second live show as well.

Happy birthday to me. :toot:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If only they could get the green light to do a live-riff on a more recent title such as (seals) Twilight.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shifty Pony posted:

If only they could get the green light to do a live-riff on a more recent title such as (seals) Twilight.

Birdemic was released the same year as Twilight!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So on Twitter, I asked if Canada might ever see some Live events, and, well,

Rifftrax posted:

@Ensign_Ricky01 We're working on it! Almost had it nailed down for Birdemic.. perhaps next year?

Oh please oh please oh please oh please......

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Tell you what Stephanie Meyer: you let me riff your movie in theaters around the country, and I'll give you a 50% discount.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

IUG posted:

The poll is also available on their Facebook page.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Have they said anything about if the last two live events will make it to DVD?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Have they said anything about if the last two live events will make it to DVD?

I think they said Specifically for Manos that it would not be making it to DVD. :smith:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IUG posted:

I think they said Specifically for Manos that it would not be making it to DVD. :smith:

Well, that sucks.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I hope they at least put the Norman shorts up on their website. I want to relive the depression over and over again. :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wandering Knitter posted:

I hope they at least put the Norman shorts up on their website. I want to relive the depression over and over again. :allears:

Me too, but I also wouldn't mind if we only got to see them in the theater for the Live events. There's something magical about letting out an "uuuuuuunnnnnngggghhhhhhhhh" with an entire theater full of people.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

If you close your eyes, it becomes another, disturbing, short.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

IUG posted:

I thought the language was something like "your ONLY chance to see Manos riffed live in a theater!". The turnaround will probably take forever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So has anyone seen Nightmare at Noon yet? I only had enough time to watch the first third of the film or so, but I thought it was great, it's just such a ridiculous movie that gives plenty of material for the guys to work with. Like having the score done by Hans Zimmer.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I found it odd that at the end Wings Hauser's chick is back to normal with no explanation.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Rifftrax live Manos show has a date, August 16th at 8 Eastern 7 Central and tape delayed to 7 Mountain 8 Pacific.

Maybe I'm reading the email wrong but it seems that this event is not going to be available as a DVD later. They specifically state that: "This one night event will be your only chance to see the guys fire their wisecracking commentary at "Manos" The Hands of Fate on the big screen." (Bolding theirs)

Universe Master posted:

"on the big screen"

It will probably be like Jack and the Giant Killer and become available on DVD in a year or so.
Here are the posts from back before Manos showed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Day-apart doubleposting.

http://www.rifftrax.com/election

Get a buck off of the Captain America riff, and two shorts for 50 cents each.
I own all three, so no help to me. :smith:

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I recently watched a Rifftrax live and I enjoyed it much more than most recorded Rifftrax. It felt like there were less run-on jokes and the audience adds a lot.

But then I noticed the Lowtax (SA!) shorts, and I was very interested if anyone knows the story involved with that? He animates the stories told by his daughter, but I was wondering how he got involved with the whole thing?

Great stuff, still think my favorite all-time Rifftrax is Dark Knight.

"Here's your clothes Alfred"
Bruce throws a duffelbag overboard

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So how was the Captain America riff?

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I'd give it a 9.

Tommy Lee Jones + Rifftrax crew is worth it. But I love it when they riff a good movie. I could barely get through Birdemic and Troll 2 because those movies are so bad and I don't enjoy that like some do.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah if I had been watching Birdemic on my own I don't know if I could have finished. Being with an audience really really helps.

I enjoyed the Captain America track as well, although I think I'd have to rate Thor just a touch higher.

MVP posted:

But then I noticed the Lowtax (SA!) shorts, and I was very interested if anyone knows the story involved with that? He animates the stories told by his daughter, but I was wondering how he got involved with the whole thing?

I'm also curious if anyone knows the story to this.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Everything Counts posted:

I'm also curious if anyone knows the story to this.
Lowtax interviewed Mike for the site a long time ago, I think back when Rifftrax was just starting up, actually. Presumably they hit it off, Lowtax ended up doing a riff with Mike for "Troll 2," and since then Lowtax has frequently promoted the live shows on the site and been an active participant in them with the Shmorky animated shorts, the Flour and Grain Expo video, etc. And of course Mike and Kevin do the occasional QA threads here.

Not sure if there's really much to it outside of that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rirse posted:

A personal favorite.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rirse posted:

The sound of Captain America throwing up on the Cyclone is still my phone ringtone. It's a solid riff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Lowtax interviewed Mike for the site a long time ago, I think back when Rifftrax was just starting up, actually. Presumably they hit it off, Lowtax ended up doing a riff with Mike for "Troll 2," and since then Lowtax has frequently promoted the live shows on the site and been an active participant in them with the Shmorky animated shorts, the Flour and Grain Expo video, etc. And of course Mike and Kevin do the occasional QA threads here.

Not sure if there's really much to it outside of that.

Lowtax recently stated that he's going to be doing a riff with Mike again soon. He also showed up for the first ever Rifftrax Live and did a really bizarre bit that was definitely in his style where he spent the entire time on pretending to be more interested in his phone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you like to watch the Shorts, then you'll love this video Mike posted on his Twitter. A compilation of Cornett introductions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRT4zWrALEo

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD

IUG posted:

If you like to watch the Shorts, then you'll love this video Mike posted on his Twitter. A compilation of Cornett introductions.

This is absolutely fantastic.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

IUG posted:

That's a great video, but what really caught my eye was the intro from a Bailey film, where to my surprise I happened to catch this name. It always throws me for a moment when I find a "real" person in non-blockbuster MST/Riff-stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Toidinamai posted:

This is absolutely fantastic.

Aaaaaand I finally got the premiere joke on the Laser Mission rifftrax.

• Locked thread