Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
There's been a few reports of the N7 not handling it's reported last 10% of battery with much grace. Mine usually dies at about 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ozmodiar posted:

I did. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary...but I went to bed last night with 14% battery and woke up to a dead tablet.

Maybe I just need a few cycles to calibrate my battery.

As an aside, why are you not charging your tablet while you sleep?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

There's been a few reports of the N7 not handling it's reported last 10% of battery with much grace. Mine usually dies at about 5%.

Lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries really aren't supposed to be drained down below 5% or so on a regular basis, else they start losing total capacity really quickly. Turning off at 5% by default makes a lot of sense.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
If your battery is dead with 14% before you go to bed, something is draining it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Install Gentoo posted:

Lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries really aren't supposed to be drained down below 5% or so on a regular basis, else they start losing total capacity really quickly. Turning off at 5% by default makes a lot of sense.
When it says 5% it's not really 5% for this reason.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

IT Guy posted:

If your battery is dead with 14% before you go to bed, something is draining it.

Doesn't the battery stats reset if you plug it in for a split second, too? This way you can just plug it in for a second and leave it overnight to see the true battery stats for that time period.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

I did. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary...but I went to bed last night with 14% battery and woke up to a dead tablet.

Maybe I just need a few cycles to calibrate my battery.
Try BetterBatteryStats. My N7 lasts for days if I don't use it. About 15-20% per day.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Install Gentoo posted:

I was kinda curious to see how long the battery would last. I could easily go a week+ on my iPad, so I wanted to see how the Nexus 7 would do.

Tunga posted:

Try BetterBatteryStats. My N7 lasts for days if I don't use it. About 15-20% per day.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tunga posted:

Wow that seems like pretty lousy standby time for a tablet.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dissss posted:

Wonder how it [theverge.com] runs on an iPad?
I just tested it on a OG iPad, an iPad2, a New iPad (3rd gen), and just for fun an iPhone 4s and 5 (I clicked through to "Full Site", not mobile.verge.com). On everything except the iPad1, theverge.com loaded instantly and scrolled perfectly with the usual zero lag from any other website. Page scrolling/inertia was stutter free, and it followed my finger exactly the same as any other website or PDF or doc.

However, on the pad1 it took like 60s to fully load the site, but once loaded it then scrolled smoothly, in both directions, at several zoom levels and on a bunch of random sub-pages. It's eating the poo poo out of memory though, I can see the pad1 has like 50MB free (it's jailbroken and has dumb process/memory thingies on it.) Subsequent clicks to other pages of the site were faster than the first, but still noticeably slower than pad2/3 and phone4s/5. The other open tabs on the pad1 had to reload when I switched from theverge.com back to them. Basically, theverge eats memory bigtime. Also worth noting is the pad1 is on 2-year-old iOS 4.3.1 while all the other devices are on 6.0; I don't know what difference that'd make (we keep it on 4.3.x for some old weird foreign apps that were never updated for 5.x that my wife uses.)

I figured the Safari Nitro javascript engine might be helping so I also tried Chrome on the pads 2/3 and phones 4s/5, and it's pretty much the same. Chrome loads the site maybe 15-20% more slowly, but once it's there it's smooth as silk scrolling and zooming.

I made a quick video to show how 3-year-old to (almost) current gen devices and laptop/desktop devices handle theverge.com. Compare these to the nexus10 video from theverge and :wtf:

What are you people doing so that website breaks your poo poo? Now, politico.com I could understand (what the gently caress is wrong with that website?) but theverge has always performed decently well technically (though often shittily opinion wise) for me. v:shobon:v

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PEJIHp3hVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PEJIHp3hVQ

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Ozmodiar posted:

Does anybody else get absolute crap for standby battery life on the Nexus 7?

The screen on time seems to be pretty much as advertised, however I seem to lose between 10 and 15 percent battery while in standby mode over night.

Other than this issue, I have no real complaints about the directions Android has gone over the last year since I primarily switch to iOS.

If anyone has experienced this issue, what have you done to correct it?

The only thing I can think of, would be tasker, but I'm not sure if that is the easiest/most ideal solution or not.

There's been reports of battery drain with the recent 4.1.2 OTA: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=38720

Seems like something regressed with whatever they did to get the performance increase over 4.1.1. If nothing else, it should be resolved by the time the 4.2 OTA update goes out in tandem with the release of the N4/N10 in two weeks time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's sat on Wi-Fi syncing push email, IMAP email, Facebook, G+, Currents, Calendar, etc. It lasts longer if you turn off data altogether. But, you know, it lives in my house so it doesn't actually matter if it lasts two days or a week.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Depends on if he has email syncing or apps auto updating or wifi always on, etc. There are so many variables. My nexus 7 can last around 2 weeks if I turn that stuff off.

Edit: ^

Edit 2:

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 3, 2012

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

IT Guy posted:

Depends on if he has email syncing or apps auto updating or wifi always on, etc. There are so many variables. My nexus 7 can last around 2 weeks if I turn that stuff off.

Edit: ^

Edit 2:

What's your screen on time? I get 3-4 days on mine, but that's with 1.5-2 hours of screen on time a day.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Athenry posted:

What's your screen on time? I get 3-4 days on mine, but that's with 1.5-2 hours of screen on time a day.

No idea, that screenshot was taken a couple months ago. But, as you can see, the tablet was idle for quite a bit.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
The problem with the verge not responding well is entirely with chrome. Anyone with a nexus 7, load up the verge in chrome and you'll see the same laggy behavior. Now load it up in Opera or Firefox, and it'll be snappy as any other web page.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My 1st gen Kindle Fire running Jelly Bean gets about as bad of battery life. It loses 15-20% per day even when it's doing nothing, even with Juice Defender installed.

My TF700 has great battery life and can standby for about a 1.5-2 weeks. And it seems like my iPad 3 could easily last about a month between charges. Not sure what's up with the 7" tablets.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Syrinxx posted:

My TF700 has great battery life and can standby for about a 1.5-2 weeks. And it seems like my iPad 3 could easily last about a month between charges. Not sure what's up with the 7" tablets.

Just spit balling here, but I would guess they have smaller batteries?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Mister Fister posted:

The problem with the verge not responding well is entirely with chrome. Anyone with a nexus 7, load up the verge in chrome and you'll see the same laggy behavior. Now load it up in Opera or Firefox, and it'll be snappy as any other web page.

I just tried this out on my stock 16gb nexus 7 and I can confirm that the verge page runs like rear end in chrome.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I've had my Nexus 7 for a few days. Got that Blurex case. Have a few observations, I guess.

+ I like the screen quite a bit. I thought I wasn't going to like reading on an LCD screen, but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I've read a couple novellas on it so far, as well as watched a few episodes of various TV shows. Those were my main anticipated uses and it works great.

+ The Blurex case that has been suggested in this thread is excellent for watching media. I'm a little worried about the clips wearing out, but it was cheap enough that I'm not super bothered by that.

- I noticed that the colors in other apps were being washed out after spending time watching TV shows. There's apparently some kind of Nvidia Prism function that does this as a battery saving tactic. I had to root and buy an app to set up a toggle to keep it from doing this.

- A huge thing that bugs me is that it appears there's no way to close all tabs on the tablet version of Chrome. This is especially perplexing, since you can do it on the phone version.

- Running that Genesis emulator app, the touchscreen controls are obscured by the on screen navigation bar, which it appears there's no user defined way to conceal without rooting and installing some kind of UI mod, or waiting for the app developer to build it in.

Overall, I'm really liking it. I own a Galaxy Nexus so I know that 4.1+ is great. I'm glad it translates well to a tablet UI, and it's nice to see apps and games are becoming more of a thing on Android. A couple years ago, I wouldn't have touched an Android tablet. $250 is a great price point for a tablet, too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Not to further cause a derail, but I've been browsing The Verge since its inception and have never experienced these loading and/or scrolling issues some of you have been experiencing, and I've gone to the site on an iPad 2, an HP Touchpad with CM9, a Lumia 710, a Galaxy S3, a Phenom II X4 based desktop PC, and an i3 3220 desktop. The only device I had the loading/laggy issue was on a 1st gen iPhone I used for a few months.

Anyways, my dad has an 8GB N7, and he rarely ever charges it. He tells me it's usually around 9-10 days before he decides to plug it in. The N7 is capable of having some good standby time, you just need to make sure random poo poo isn't draining the battery in the background.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

teagone posted:

Anyways, my dad has an 8GB N7, and he rarely ever charges it. He tells me it's usually around 9-10 days before he decides to plug it in. The N7 is capable of having some good standby time, you just need to make sure random poo poo isn't draining the battery in the background.

Going into Settings/Wi-Fi/MENU/Advanced and switching "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never" or "only when plugged in" can help, provided you don't care about background mail sync, etc. I have a N7 that I use mostly as a Sonos controller, and with that setting enabled and light usage I usually see 2+ weeks of standby -- just checked an it's at 60%, been alive for 7 days 21 hours.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mister Fister posted:

Eh what? Chrome on nexus 7, PC, ipad, iphone, etc, works fine what makes you think this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

- A huge thing that bugs me is that it appears there's no way to close all tabs on the tablet version of Chrome. This is especially perplexing, since you can do it on the phone version.
Just click on the cross on the tab? I do this all the time (leave Chrome open with no tabs when task switching away from it), it's definitely possible. Leaves you with a grey Chrome logo on a black background and a New Tab button at the top.

Edit: Unless you mean closing all tabs in one go? I don't use phone Chrome (the interface stinks) so I don't know.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

randyest posted:

Eh what? Chrome on nexus 7, PC, ipad, iphone, etc, works fine what makes you think this?

Because i have a nexus 7 and tried it last night. The Verge lags on Chrome like in the nexus 10 video. The Verge on Firefox and Opera is snappy.

It's the opposite on my PC though. I usually have like 60 tabs open and Chrome is fast as hell, but firefox lags like crazy.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

- I noticed that the colors in other apps were being washed out after spending time watching TV shows. There's apparently some kind of Nvidia Prism function that does this as a battery saving tactic. I had to root and buy an app to set up a toggle to keep it from doing this.

What app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Because i have a nexus 7 and tried it last night. The Verge lags on Chrome like in the nexus 10 video. The Verge on Firefox and Opera is snappy.

It's the opposite on my PC though. I usually have like 60 tabs open and Chrome is fast as hell, but firefox lags like crazy.

Well it's a good thing you have exactly one data point with which to confirm this!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Endless Mike posted:

Well it's a good thing you have exactly one data point with which to confirm this!

One data point that can be reproduced over all nexus 7 devices

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

One data point that can be reproduced over all nexus 7 devices

randyest posted:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

I don't see where in that statement he said he tried the verge on the nexus 7 with chrome. Which is what we're talking about. And chrome is generally slower than other browsers on android.

Edit:

Here's hundreds of users basically saying the same thing i am

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12ilty/google_nexus_10_review_the_verge/

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 3, 2012

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Verge site crawls on everything I run it on. My Macbook, iPad, my i5 w/ 8GB of RAM Windows laptop. The mobile version does better, but for some reason it doesn't serve that version to Android tablets (user agent related, I guess). it's an interestingly designed page, but there's something weird about it technically.

I actually think that the problem has a lot to do with their ads. I can tell a huge difference when browsing the site with with (mobile) Firefox/adblock vs Chrome.

Edit: Thought I'd add that I just recently gave Firefox beta a try on my transformer TF300 and so far it is pretty amazing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mister Fister posted:

I don't see where in that statement he said he tried the verge on the nexus 7 with chrome.

Really?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mister Fister posted:

I don't see where in that statement he said he tried the verge on the nexus 7 with chrome. Which is what we're talking about. And chrome is generally slower than other browsers on android.
Edit:
Here's hundreds of users basically saying the same thing i am
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12ilty/google_nexus_10_review_the_verge/
I see like 6 there saying that, unless I don't understand reddit (likely) and it's hiding some comments. And yeah, I have tested theverge.com on a nexus 7 in chrome and it was fine, just as fast as any other site on an n7 in chrome.

Maybe it depends on which ad(s) you get?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

IT Guy posted:

What app?

NVIDIA Tegra PRISM Toggle

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.widgets.big.tegra.prism.toggle

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

randyest posted:

I see like 6 there saying that, unless I don't understand reddit (likely) and it's hiding some comments. And yeah, I have tested theverge.com on a nexus 7 in chrome and it was fine, just as fast as any other site on an n7 in chrome.

Well it depends on which statement you are looking for, there's a few people saying chrome is generally slower than other browsers on android and a ton of people replying in agreement. And there are some specifically citing the verge, i pretty much endorse both statements.

In any case, i'm going to shoot my own video when i get home tonight to show you.

My bigger point is that there's nothing wrong with the nexus 7 when it comes to browsing graphics intensive pages like the verge and it appears the fault lies with chrome because the other browsers are able to scroll/pinch to zoom really quickly without any sort of lag. I suspect that's the same thing with the nexus 10 in that video as well.

The only thing i might not have accounted for is maybe i don't have chrome on auto update and it's not the latest version (but it should be iirc, i try to set all my apps this way).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

tomguycot posted:

I actually think that the problem has a lot to do with their ads. I can tell a huge difference when browsing the site with with (mobile) Firefox/adblock vs Chrome.

Edit: Thought I'd add that I just recently gave Firefox beta a try on my transformer TF300 and so far it is pretty amazing.

Firefox is definitely fast, but I found the way it rendered pages to look rather... odd. Like it was rendering everything as a large image and then scaling it down or something. I got weird aliasing issues on text even zoomed in close, and issues like single pixel dividers on forums sometimes being two pixels thick instead. It just looked too ugly to keep using, even though I really did like the speed and interface.

Biazt
Jul 1, 2006
Chiming in to agree with all the chrome choppiness issues. Chrome renders the verge with significant slowdown on my Nexus 7 and One X compared with Firefox and the stock browser (on my One X).

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So I'm thinking about switching from Paranoid Android on my Nexus 7 to CyanogenMod, but I was wondering if anybody knew a way to get the same 'Phablet mode' that Paranoid Android offers - with a tablet interface for my homescreen, but the ability to switch to other modes for apps, etc. Does Paranoid just use a DPI change, or is there something else to it? Can I replicate this functionality in CM10?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quinton posted:

Going into Settings/Wi-Fi/MENU/Advanced and switching "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never" or "only when plugged in" can help, provided you don't care about background mail sync, etc. I have a N7 that I use mostly as a Sonos controller, and with that setting enabled and light usage I usually see 2+ weeks of standby -- just checked an it's at 60%, been alive for 7 days 21 hours.

Thanks. I forgot this option was there. I imagine this will help immensely.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

randyest posted:

Here's my video testing the verge on chrome, opera, and firefox on the nexus 7. It doesn't even register my inputs half the time on chrome (this video actually is better than it was yesterday where i'd say 90% of the time it didn't register when trying to zoom in and out). Opera and Firefox is snappy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdGjBAPW44s

Edit: On second viewing, it seems even when it did respond to zooming in, it'd barely zoom in some of the time when it'd be a full zoom in the other browsers.

I bet Chrome is the problem in that nexus 10 video too and the other browsers work fine.

It's not the hardware, it's chrome.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Here's my video testing the verge on chrome, opera, and firefox on the nexus 7. It doesn't even register my inputs half the time on chrome (this video actually is better than it was yesterday where i'd say 90% of the time it didn't register when trying to zoom in and out). Opera and Firefox is snappy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdGjBAPW44s

Edit: On second viewing, it seems even when it did respond to zooming in, it'd barely zoom in some of the time when it'd be a full zoom in the other browsers.

I bet Chrome is the problem in that nexus 10 video too and the other browsers work fine.

It's not the hardware, it's chrome.

How do we know you're not using an ainol tornado with worse hardware since the video is so dark??