Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Leper Residue posted:

Arcanum is basically just Fallout in a steampunk world (and really good).

Maybe Heavy Rain? It kind of depends on how well you do, but it can all play out very differently depending on how you play.

Huh, according to gog.com, I apparently bought Arcanum a while ago and seem to have forgotten about it. Steampunk Fallout sounds fantastic and I can't wait to give it a go.

I played through Heavy Rain once, I wasn't really sure how much another playthrough would be worth. In a word, does the game change significantly enough so that it'd be worth renting again?

Several people posted:

Alpha Protocol

I played through Alpha Protocol before, but I've only beaten it once, and this game I do know changes a lot on each playthrough. I'll have to try it out again, see what other endings I can get. A shame no DLC or anything was ever made for it but the original game was still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Urdnot Fire posted:

No, that's for Budokai/Budokai 3, earlier games in the series.

Oh, I got confused because Budokai 1 and 3 are the only good Dragonball Z games and the Tenkaichi series is pretty bad. Wait for those ones instead.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Whats the go to game from the Assassins Creed series? AC2? Don't care about any storyline continuity between the games. Id like the self contained story to be at least alright but really I just want some awesome combat. I heard revelations was good gameplay but it had bad story?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Diamonds posted:

Whats the go to game from the Assassins Creed series? AC2? Don't care about any storyline continuity between the games. Id like the self contained story to be at least alright but really I just want some awesome combat. I heard revelations was good gameplay but it had bad story?
If you really care nothing about the story, Revelations would be the way to go. II has the best self-contained story, though, but Revelations is fine too. Keep in mind that Brotherhood and Revelations are direct sequels to II, so they're obviously not going to be as self-contained as it. Any of those three has great gameplay and combat, just marginally improved as they progress from II.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I want to do an LP with my girlfriend.

Does anyone know of a game that would be fun for two people to play? We've done a few, but I always lose interest because of how different my girl and I are. (She likes to explore every nook and cranny. I like to smash things, with a warhammer if possible.) She's never played a shooter before, but seems open to the idea, (which would be pretty awesome,) but really anything, even going as far back as the original nintendo if need be.

No One Lives Forever 1 or 2 would be pretty fun, I think. Funny/fun plot and dialogue, snazzy music, cool weapons and stealth play, lots to see and explore.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

Paper Diamonds posted:

Whats the go to game from the Assassins Creed series? AC2?

I tried playing AC2 and after about half an hour it was really obvious I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. You say you don't care about story, but it definitely didn't feel like something to just jump into. I still plan on giving it another try after playing the first one though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Starblind posted:

I tried playing AC2 and after about half an hour it was really obvious I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. You say you don't care about story, but it definitely didn't feel like something to just jump into. I still plan on giving it another try after playing the first one though.

I recommend reading a brief plot synopsis. Most of AC2 is about Ezio's personal story, which is not really that closely linked with AC1's main protagonist, Altair. Just read enough to get an idea of the connective tissue there, like what's with Desmond and the Animus, and then play AC2 because AC1 is pretty dull.

One way to think of it is that AC1 sets up basic gameplay ideas like stabbing dudes, climbing things, and jumping off of those things, and then AC2 makes a video game out of it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm working on my huge game backlog and just finished Crysis and Crysis: Warhead (both on PC). I enjoyed both those games, and am wondering what Crysis 2 is like. The best parts of Crysis were fighting the North Koreans, and just from the way Crysis ended it doesn't seem like that kind of fighting would make a lot of sense story-wise.

I heard that Crysis 2 doesn't have a quicksave feature, just checkpoints. Normally I dislike that, but I actually liked how the checkpoints in Far Cry worked, they were frequent and gave you good spots to try many different approaches.

What else can people tell me about Crysis 2 (for PC?)

Reive
May 21, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm working on my huge game backlog and just finished Crysis and Crysis: Warhead (both on PC). I enjoyed both those games, and am wondering what Crysis 2 is like. The best parts of Crysis were fighting the North Koreans, and just from the way Crysis ended it doesn't seem like that kind of fighting would make a lot of sense story-wise.

I heard that Crysis 2 doesn't have a quicksave feature, just checkpoints. Normally I dislike that, but I actually liked how the checkpoints in Far Cry worked, they were frequent and gave you good spots to try many different approaches.

Currently playing through both 1 and 2 and am liking 2 better (partially because I can actually run it at more than 30fps)
Crysis 2 is a lot more linear first of all, but it's not your typical COD modern FPS linearity, it's like a series of semi-open set pieces connected by corridors.
You can do about as much in terms of gameplay though, you still have all of the suit powers but they're now context sensitive, speed activates when you run, strength when you hold throw or melee, while armor and cloak now have their own quick keys (you can still use the wheel thing if you want).

As far as enemies are concerned I think it's mostly para-militaries and aliens (is this still spoiler worthy?) I don't know what the military guys are because I didn't pay much attention to the story.

Checkpoints seem OK at best, at times I still wish I could save manually, but pretty much every individual area and story moments have a checkpoint.

Overall game-feel seems better to me, guns arn't ridiculously inaccurate, enemy AI seems smarter (until you abuse your cloak of course), small yet important control things like crouch being toggle by default and ADS being hold (both of which can be changed)
I'd definitely recommend it, not for every Crysis fan but I think it's leagues better than most modern shooters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

One thing about Crysis 2 is while there are still the boring aliens to fight, they use them less frequently and introduced a new type that's basically just an alien version of a regular human grunt, complete with vulnerability to instant kill sneak attacks (by the way there's instant kill sneak attacks, which is nice because they were a glaring omission from the first game). There's also a bunch of mercenary dudes taking the place of the NK army as human enemies, so it's not quite the boring "Shoot at the big flying alien with a ton of health until it dies" slog that the latter half of Crysis is.

It does have a much different feel than the original games though. The environments are a bit more open than say, Call of Duty, but not nearly as huge as the jungle of the original game. A lot of the gameplay itself is simplified too, in some ways good (the suit powers are much better streamlined; you'll actually use all of them now!), in other ways a bit disappointing (no more going prone, way fewer weapon attachment options, Q and E leaning is replaced by contextual "Lean" points at the edge of things where you just pop out automatically by aiming, vehicles are more or less restricted to specific sections or the odd turret), and in general it kind of feels less ambitious than Crysis did. It might be due to being co-designed for consoles, so they just couldn't make something as big as the original game due to the hardware restrictions (although that does mean the game runs a LOT better - the engine itself is just more efficient too), but it still feels like a bit of a step down.

Still, don't let that dissuade you - it's still a really solid shooter and it's still a lot more interesting than the heavily scripted stuff you get from CoD and Battlefield's single player. At the very least you won't find yourself magically dying for no reason because you went forward before the game told you to.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 30, 2012

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Starblind posted:

The second post of the AC3 OT has a plot summary of the series so far. Now I haven't played any of the games(which I mean to change with the 3rd one) but it seemed like a really good and detailed summary of all the games. You could just read up to the point you mean to pick up the series. Just an idea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's also a bunch of mercenary dudes taking the place of the NK army as human enemies, so it's not quite the boring "Shoot at the big flying alien with a ton of health until it dies" slog that the latter half of Crysis is.

:ssh: They're extremely vulnerable to FY-71 fire bullets. Even the big fliers

That said, Crysis 2 is way more linear, but it makes up for this with a refinement in the suit controls. You don't need to toggle Speed/Strength anymore, you just have to hold down sprint or jump/melee to engage a Strength-enhanced version. The two modes you can activate are Armor and Cloak. Armor's an actual defense buff instead of just draining your energy, and Cloak's been improved upon - You can fire a few rounds and it'll just use up some of your energy meter rather than decloaking.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 30, 2012

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

So I introduced the girlfriend to Trine and she really enjoyed it, and we're looking for more stuff to play together. What we need are casual-ish or mechanic-light Couch co-op games with controller support for PC. Stuff like Trine, Jamestown (If it worked and didn't get a compiler error :( ) and the like, ideally with simple controls.

Any suggestions?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
What are some games I can play in a window that are turn-based or that are easy to stop and start frequently? Like FTL, for example.

(I have a job with a lot of frequent little breaks while I wait for computers to do things.)

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Noni posted:

What are some games I can play in a window that are turn-based or that are easy to stop and start frequently? Like FTL, for example.

(I have a job with a lot of frequent little breaks while I wait for computers to do things.)

Dungeons of Dredmor. It's a roguelike with a really neat art style and sense of humor. It's not perfect, but I think it's definitely worth a shot. It's on steam, around 5 bucks.

TabulaRasa
Nov 17, 2005

Ready to fight for right, against wrong!

Parkingtigers posted:

Both are very short games, but both Flower and Journey are the chilliest of chill games.

I didn't lose power yesterday during the hurricane but I decided to use it as an excuse to take some needed down time. I picked up Journey and didn't read any descriptions or anything, just based it on recommendations I got here. I figured 15 bucks was pretty cheap so just go for it.

I had no idea it was this anonymous multiplayer thing. The first time some other dude showed up and start beeping at me and running around in circles I thought, is this some weird AI thing? What is this thing doing. I then realized it was another player. I was actually a little annoyed about it at first but I got into the groove of the game. Short but very enjoyable experience. Thanks for that recommendation. I'll have to check out Flower next and maybe that new one looked good too, Unfinished Swan.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looking for somewhat low end FPSes to play on my non-dual core computer.
Preferably with a lengthy singleplayer or even a really solid multiplayer.

It feels like I've played just about every FPS out there but there's always a chance for something that flew under my radar.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Check out this BUILD engine game a goon made.

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5127-amc-tc-released-merry-x-mas/

I played a bit of it and it's good fun. Doesn't require duke3d or anything.

edit: Speaking of amateur BUILD games, WGRealms 2.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Deakul posted:

Looking for somewhat low end FPSes to play on my non-dual core computer.
Preferably with a lengthy singleplayer or even a really solid multiplayer.

It feels like I've played just about every FPS out there but there's always a chance for something that flew under my radar.

Far Cry
Call of Duty 2

Dunno what kind of CPU you're using, but these might work well on a decent single core.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I'm looking for a fun PBEM game that isn't Dominions or Solium Infernum. Any grognards that can recommend one? Thanks!

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I love sci-fi, but never really gotten into any sci-fi games. What's up with that?! Tell me about some sci-fi games with ships ranging from tiny to gigantic titans the size of asteroids. Preferably action oriented, like X3, which has been in my backlog forever due to it's learning curve.

Mace Griffin had an amazing system that allowed you to leave your ship's controls and walk around, but the game was pretty bad and it never evolved from anything other than a neat feature. Any games that allow you to walk around your vehicle/ship would be super appreciated too. I've heard the newer Silent Hunter (4 or 5) games allow it, but I also heard they're terrible.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 1, 2012

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
Freespace 2 is definitely one of the best space combat sims, it has some really great battles with tons of fighters and giant capital ships.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you can figure out where to buy it, Freelancer is a great action-based space game. It straddles a nice line between being a deep space trading sim without going quite into the super detailed level of the X games. Plus there are some really huge mods for it that add insane amounts of content.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

I love sci-fi, but never really gotten into any sci-fi games. What's up with that?! Tell me about some sci-fi games with ships ranging from tiny to gigantic titans the size of asteroids. Preferably action oriented, like X3, which has been in my backlog forever due to it's learning curve.

Mace Griffin had an amazing system that allowed you to leave your ship's controls and walk around, but the game was pretty bad and it never evolved from anything other than a neat feature. Any games that allow you to walk around your vehicle/ship would be super appreciated too. I've heard the newer Silent Hunter (4 or 5) games allow it, but I also heard they're terrible.

This may seem like an obvious choice, but have you played the Mass Effect series? They're worth it, despite the ending!
(You don't actually fly or customize your ship much in it, though, just command it and walk around it talking to team members/buying upgrades between missions. Definitely more action sci-fi than space sim.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 2, 2012

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Freespace 2 looks awesome, but I'm hoping it's not as in-depth and confusing as X3. Freelancer looks like the best place to start, as it seems like it's got some arcade elements to it, but a quick google search makes me doubt I'm gonna find it anywhere.

I already played the Mass Effect games and enjoyed them for being RPGs, but they have almost nothing to do with ships. Thanks for the suggestion regardless.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

rizuhbull posted:

Freespace 2 looks awesome, but I'm hoping it's not as in-depth and confusing as X3. Freelancer looks like the best place to start, as it seems like it's got some arcade elements to it, but a quick google search makes me doubt I'm gonna find it anywhere.

I already played the Mass Effect games and enjoyed them for being RPGs, but they have almost nothing to do with ships. Thanks for the suggestion regardless.

Freespace 2 is nothing like X3. It is a straight up story space shooter. X3 is more of a space sim. If you thought X3 was action oriented then Freespace 2 will blow your socks off, in both action and the story.

Make sure you get the Freespace 2 open source project which will upgrade the graphics to a modern level and it will really impress you.

Play Freespace 2, love it, then you can play tons of Freespace 2 mods. Some of which really turn up the insane dial for huge capital ship fights(Inferno & the Sol series).

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 3, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend me a game for PC, Wii, Gamecube, or PS2 with:

-The ability to customize a character, as in an RPG
-An open world, or at least some sense of the ability to walk around to places and do things
-Local co-op

Basically just those three things. I want something to play with my girlfriend. She doesn't play too many games but when she does it's RPGs like Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV, Mass Effect, etc.

edit: Oh, and the character customization is mainly about mechanical customization. For instance, it is more important to be able to choose between two skills than two hats.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 3, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-An open world, or at least some sense of the ability to walk around to places and do things
-Local co-op

Basically just those three things. I want something to play with my girlfriend. She doesn't play too many games but when she does it's RPGs like Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV, Mass Effect, etc.

I'd say Phantasy Star Online for the Gamecube. Online part is kaput but you can split screen 2-4 player the campaign. You can create your own guy/girl/robot too.

There's also Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii. Allthough the the world isn't really that big. Just a series of re-used areas for constant boss battles.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Local co-op

edit: Oh, and the character customization is mainly about mechanical customization. For instance, it is more important to be able to choose between two skills than two hats.
For the PC: Borderlands 2? It's a Diablo-like action RPG in sci-fi first person shooter form.
-It has a good number of different skills for each four characters with possibilities for pretty different builds.
-The world is divided into several open areas, ranging from relatively compact to rather large. There are lots of side missions aside from the main quest, though ultimately everything does boil down to "Shoot everything and loot their stuff". The action is awesomely fun though.
-Co-op is an integral part of BL2 and while it's good solo, it's even better cooperatively. You'll need two PCs though, afaik split screen only works on consoles and it's not available for the ones you listed.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
We very specifically need co-op on the same machine, unfortunately.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Co-op RPGs are pretty limited. There's two Champions of Norrath games on PS2 that are god drat amazing and definitively worth picking up. They're not true open-world, but they certainly give you lots of room to maneuver and explore.

Pretty much every Tales of game allows the second controller to control another party member in battles, but as it's a JRPG there's no customization.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Get Ratchet: Deadlocked (Aka Ratchet: Gladiator in PAL territories). Co-op third-person shooter on the PS2 with unlockable character skins and upgradable (and customizable) weaponry.

edit: Honestly, if you want games to play together, you should get an Xbox 360. There's quite a few good games that meet all the criteria for what you want.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Local co-op
Tales of Symphonia and its sequel, Dawn of the New World.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

rizuhbull posted:

Co-op RPGs are pretty limited. There's two Champions of Norrath games on PS2 that are god drat amazing and definitively worth picking up. They're not true open-world, but they certainly give you lots of room to maneuver and explore.

Going to have to second this recommendation, it sounds almost exactly like what you want. It's also the most fun co-op I've ever played on anything.

In this vein, can anyone recommend me something more modern a bit like the Champions of Norrath games on PC or Xbox 360?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm looking for something kind of specific, and I suspect it doesn't exist :smith: but I figured I would give this thread a shot.

I want a hockey manager game along the lines of Football Manager, where you don't control the characters who play the games, you just manage the team and direct their development, raising players to be superstar hockey players who crush their opponents (and trade away the assholes who suck). I would rather it be on PC and not a console.

I've tried Eastside Hockey Manager, but I don't want to play with current NHL rosters, I want to have randomly created fictional players with no NHL expectations attached to them. I've actually been quite enjoying using powerplaymanager.com, but it's a browser game so your team only plays a game every two real-life days, and I kind of want a game where I can play more than a couple minutes each day before waiting for the next thing to happen... (not to mention not having it nag me to pay money for more advanced features all the time...)

It doesn't exist, does it. :smith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm looking for a mainly single-player FPS with lots of customization, be it of player or weapons or whatever, that isn't Borderlands.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

I'm looking for a mainly single-player FPS with lots of customization, be it of player or weapons or whatever, that isn't Borderlands.

Skyrim, unless it needs to be guns instead of swords, arrows, axes, hammers and firebolts.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

VogeGandire posted:

You'd think there are more games following Borderlands' pattern, but there aren't.

Try Wolfenstein (the relatively new one).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get Ratchet: Deadlocked (Aka Ratchet: Gladiator in PAL territories). Co-op third-person shooter on the PS2 with unlockable character skins and upgradable (and customizable) weaponry.

edit: Honestly, if you want games to play together, you should get an Xbox 360. There's quite a few good games that meet all the criteria for what you want.

We're getting one soon I think, but we need an HD TV first :shepface:

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I actually have Dark Alliance laying around somewhere so I think we're going with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KNew
Sep 16, 2007

Yu does not care for puns

Tagra posted:

I'm looking for something kind of specific, and I suspect it doesn't exist :smith: but I figured I would give this thread a shot.

I want a hockey manager game along the lines of Football Manager, where you don't control the characters who play the games, you just manage the team and direct their development, raising players to be superstar hockey players who crush their opponents (and trade away the assholes who suck). I would rather it be on PC and not a console.

I've tried Eastside Hockey Manager, but I don't want to play with current NHL rosters, I want to have randomly created fictional players with no NHL expectations attached to them. I've actually been quite enjoying using powerplaymanager.com, but it's a browser game so your team only plays a game every two real-life days, and I kind of want a game where I can play more than a couple minutes each day before waiting for the next thing to happen... (not to mention not having it nag me to pay money for more advanced features all the time...)

It doesn't exist, does it. :smith:

Franchise Hockey Manager is supposed to be released this December/January
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/fhm-general-discussions/

I know literally nothing about it except it is from the same umbrella that makes a pretty bad rear end baseball simulator. I know in the baseball sim that one of the options is to play with real teams and fictional players.