Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The fans absolutely demand lots of plot points that GRRM ends up not giving them, or giving them in the worst possible way [BOOK THREE SPOILERS GODDAMN](e.g. Tyrion killing Tywin in a manner that failed to achieve anything and probably made everything worse for everybody.). Besides, he's already answered it, and if things continue along the path that seems likely, it's pretty much confirmation on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Speaking of that event from the end of book 3, I love the theory that the Red Viper poisoned Tywin, and Tyrion was just ending his life a little ahead of schedule.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I recall Kevan saying that while he holds no lands, he does have "certain incomes." I wonder what sort of revenue streams a knight could hold that don't involve land and taxes; I don't think Kevan finances shipping or owns a string of brothels like Littlefinger.

Keeping with a feudal economy model, he could have rights to forests or mines (which were separable from land) or the right to the profits of a market fair or a monopoly on printing or something. He could own the rights to the profit from a gold mine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

euphronius posted:

Keeping with a feudal economy model, he could have rights to forests or mines (which were separable from land) or the right to the profits of a market fair or a monopoly on printing or something. He could own the rights to the profit from a gold mine.
Thank you. I have no idea why it didn't occur to me that he might have a share in, you know, all the gold in Casterly Rock :doh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Presumably Kevan is kept monetarily and land weak by Tywin so as not to prove a threat to Tywin.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

euphronius posted:

Presumably Kevan is kept monetarily and land weak by Tywin so as not to prove a threat to Tywin.

I thought it was just the way, the older son gets all (as not to dilute the family power). Kevan has proven himself to have some money. Even Tyrion gets all the Lannister money he could need. I don't think there is even a hint that Tywin saw Kevan as a threat; he was competent, never questioned his brother and was absolutely subservient to the greater needs of the House...

That's why Kevan's sassing off and showing backbone to Cersei and Jaime, and then worrying about his immediate family took me aback. His loyalty was to Tywin himself and not so much the advancing of House Lannister

As an aside, does anyone have links to the "bad threads" pre-ADWD? Before they got really bitter. I'd like to read the theories and discussions before I jump into ADWD.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 10, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

CatchrNdRy posted:

I thought it was just the way, the older son gets all (as not to dilute the family power). Kevan has proven himself to have some money. Even Tyrion gets all the Lannister money he could need. I don't think there is even a hint that Tywin saw Kevan as a threat; he was competent, never questioned his brother and was absolutely subservient to the greater needs of the House...

That's why Kevan's sassing off and showing backbone to Cersei and Jaime, and then worrying about his immediate family took me aback. His loyalty was to Tywin himself and not so much the advancing of House Lannister

As an aside, does anyone have links to the "bad threads" pre-ADWD? Before they got really bitter. I'd like to read the theories and discussions before I jump into ADWD.

I don't think there was a time when they weren't terrible garbage threads.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Azure_Horizon posted:

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2176315

This late 2006 one had lots of reasonable discussion and some mild disappointment that it might take another year or so for ADWD to finally come out. So innocent back then, just like Sansa at Winterfell.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 10, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Azure_Horizon posted:

They have always been really awesome, especially pre-2010, hth

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

CatchrNdRy posted:

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2176315

This late 2006 one had lots of reasonable discussion and some mild disappointment that it might take another year or so for ADWD to finally come out. So innocent back then, just like Sansa at Winterfell.

Color me surprised. Well, then total garbage awful for six years, then.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Years of the author talking about football and waterlogged calendars and superhero rape stories while failing to deliver on repeated promises of continuing the series tends to do that to a goon...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

whowhatwhere posted:

Years of the author talking about football and waterlogged calendars and superhero rape stories while failing to deliver on repeated promises of continuing the series tends to do that to a goon...

Many people have spent just as long waiting for GRRM's books and not created stupid threads about it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Azure_Horizon posted:

Many people have spent just as long waiting for GRRM's books and not created stupid threads about it.

And many people who don't like the bad threads don't continually post in them. Funny, that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Nobody should ever post in a manner that forums poster Azure_Horizon disapproves of.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

whowhatwhere posted:

And many people who don't like the bad threads don't continually post in them. Funny, that.

Because boredom is a terrible ailment? We going to get back to actual ASOIAF discussion instead of hilarious bad thread defending?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
New messages and I thought we had a new reader of Storm of Swords who needed to vent. But nope, just the bad thread spilling over a bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm finally closing in on the end of DwD after a couple months of reading it off and on. It's really been a slog to get through. I'm tempted to go back and read ASoS or maybe GoT just to get a fun read in again.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Go with the Dunk and Egg shorts if you haven't read 'em yet.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Maarak posted:

Go with the Dunk and Egg shorts if you haven't read 'em yet.
Yes, do this. I found them a lot easier and more enjoyable to read than AFFC and ADWD.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 13, 2012

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
They're releasing a compiled Dunk and Egg book next year, if GRRM ever stops watching football long enough to write the next installment.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yes, do this. I found them a lot easier and more enjoyable to read than AFFC and ADWD.

Don't read the second one. It's boring and doesn't reveal any backstory.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I didn't find it boring as much as it was frustrating to read. It's an exercise in showing just how easily the Westerosi feudal system will risk the lives of the populace in order to preserve the traditional power structure. The whole situation is brought on by a long hot summer(I think, it's been a little while since I've read it). If it takes someone with the heroic patience of Dunk to resolve a minor water rights issue, how in the seven hells will the realm react to the Others and the coming Long Night?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, I finally, after taking a break from the series, finished AFFC, and yeah.

I thought it was pretty good, for what it was, but I can see precisely why bad sentiment started to settle in.

The first three books came out a rough year/eighteen months apart. The first two books were 'setup books', and then ASOS was the giant payoff book where a whole dragon's colon of poo poo hit the fan.

Then a six year wait. And when AFFC arrives...it's back to the setup.

Which makes sense. If GRRM kept trying to top ASOS, he'd burn out quickly. He needs time for things to settle, gell, and build back to his second, hopefully even bigger King's Landing amount of poo poo that's going to hit the fan. The big issue, of course, was the six year wait.

And then five more years for ADWD. Which I suspect is going to be even more setup. And then I'll be in the same boat as the other fans and readers who grew embittered over the past decade.

Still, I really hope ADWD at least confirms if Brienne died. Because I honestly think, if she has, that that might have been the cruelest death in the series, barring anything that involved sexual violence.

Also, while reading AFFC, I see the word 'rum' and I immediately go '...I'm about to see the context for A Glistening Hodor's avatar text, aren't I'?

Also, BOILED LEATHER. STILL. Hell, in AFFC GRRM hits some sort of zeitgeist of his bad habits by comparing an old woman's privates to boiled leather.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 20, 2012

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Also, BOILED LEATHER. STILL. Hell, in AFFC GRRM hits some sort of zeitgeist of his bad habits by comparing an old woman privates to boiled leather.
More boiled leather to come! Don't worry though. Words are wind.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
And are as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I found the prose of ADWD as pleasant as warm bread fresh from the oven

Thanks to whoever posted that theory about Stannis becoming the new Night King. It's definitely my favorite ASOIAF theory that I've read. It fits Stannis's character shockingly well, has been fairly well foreshadowed, and would actually make the Wall and the Others a meaningful part of the larger storyline.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 20, 2012

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

HK5000 posted:

More boiled leather to come! Don't worry though. Words are wind.

I think the reason 'boiled leather' keeps jumping out at me is that it's always used in description. A lot of the other oft-repeated phrases ("Words are wind." "A Lannister always pays his debts." "You know nothing, Jon Snow." "I am looking for a maid aged three-and-ten..." etc) are used when people are speaking or thinking, which 'excuses' them: why would they need to vary their speech or thoughts? The author, however, is the 'God' of a fictional world, and has a greater responsibility, even if he can't use 'cuir bouilli' because this is Westeros and the French language doesn't exist there. When he fails in said responsibility, and you notice, you can't stop UN-noticing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
On a whim I checked out the Wikipedia page for the next book, Winds of Winter. This led me to this interview:

http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html?spref=tw

Several spoilers but the article does a good job at allowing the reader to skip them. According to this he has about 400 pages written but only 200 does he consider final. He's hoping for a 2014 publication but as we all know words are wind.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Started on A Dance With Dragons. 900 pages to go before I can join everyone else in becoming angry, embittered, and hateful in the core thread.

Also, I realized that A Feast For Crows was lacking in one crucial department: ELABORATELY DESCRIBED MEALS.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cornwind Evil posted:

Started on A Dance With Dragons. 900 pages to go before I can join everyone else in becoming angry, embittered, and hateful in the core thread.

Also, I realized that A Feast For Crows was lacking in one crucial department: ELABORATELY DESCRIBED MEALS.

Don't, please. Actually enjoy it.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be fair, we do tend to exaggerate how awful AFFC and ADWD actually are in the bad thread. I mean the majority agrees that those two are the weakest of the series, but the rage in there mainly comes from the fact that, in the last 11 years, those are the only two books we've had for this series... and it really doesn't seem like either of those books warranted 4-6 year hiatuses.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Contra Calculus posted:

To be fair, we do tend to exaggerate how awful AFFC and ADWD actually are in the bad thread. I mean the majority agrees that those two are the weakest of the series, but the rage in there mainly comes from the fact that, in the last 11 years, those are the only two books we've had for this series... and it really doesn't seem like either of those books warranted 4-6 year hiatuses.

Plus, after the immense poo poo GOES DOWN aspect of SOS, Feast and Dance look to be more setup books in the vein Game and Clash were. Between that and 11 years...yeah, I can see where the bad feelings would come from.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I think I'm going to savor the sweet karma of Jon hacking Slynt's head off. This series far favors more the biggest bastard wins mindset, and I suspect that's the last we'll see of such 'righteous' things.

Also, I think the TV show has spoiled me in a different way. I feel a lot worse for Theon than I should, as he was a lot more sympathetic in the show. Reek, Reek, it rhymes with tweak(ed opinions)...

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Also, I think the TV show has spoiled me in a different way. I feel a lot worse for Theon than I should, as he was a lot more sympathetic in the show. Reek, Reek, it rhymes with tweak(ed opinions)...
I don't think it depends on the show, actually. For me he was a monster in ACOK, but my heart still completely broke over his arc in ADWD all the same. GRRM just has a talent for making you root and feel for his initial villains (also see: Jaime and Cersei) in later books. I wouldn't even be surprised anymore if he pulled off something like that for the most irredeemable character in the series (Ramsay) in book 6 or 7, either.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Joramun posted:

I don't think it depends on the show, actually. For me he was a monster in ACOK, but my heart still completely broke over his arc in ADWD all the same. GRRM just has a talent for making you root and feel for his initial villains (also see: Jaime and Cersei) in later books. I wouldn't even be surprised anymore if he pulled off something like that for the most irredeemable character in the series (Ramsay) in book 6 or 7, either.

I still don't feel bad for Cersei.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ya know, you can say you feel bad for Theon, but he fuckin' killed a couple innocent children and their mother. He also killed a bunch of other innocent people. Sure he was "caught between two worlds" because of his psycho viking family, but still, gently caress that guy.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

JazzFlight posted:

Ya know, you can say you feel bad for Theon, but he fuckin' killed a couple innocent children and their mother. He also killed a bunch of other innocent people. Sure he was "caught between two worlds" because of his psycho viking family, but still, gently caress that guy.
His family is actually not an excuse, since Asha deliberately and persistently tried to talk him off of it and Balon gave him completely different instructions in the first place. It was all his own ambition and minority complex.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

JazzFlight posted:

Theon's arc in ADWD is far worse than any acts he committed. You don't wish that sort of thing even on your worst foe.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Theon's arc in ADWD is far worse than any acts he committed. You don't wish that sort of thing even on your worst foe.
Meh, he could have killed himself at a lot of times in ADWD to end it all. I don't care a bit for him.

Speaking of unsympathetic character choices in ADWD:
why did GRRM have to make Tyrion essentially rape the slave prostitute woman? Sure, she was a "prostitute," but she wasn't getting paid and he repeatedly confirms that she doesn't want to have sex with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Meh, he could have killed himself at a lot of times in ADWD to end it all. I don't care a bit for him.

Speaking of unsympathetic character choices in ADWD:
why did GRRM have to make Tyrion essentially rape the slave prostitute woman? Sure, she was a "prostitute," but she wasn't getting paid and he repeatedly confirms that she doesn't want to have sex with him.

You're talking about Illyrio's 'gift'? I'll venture to say that Tyrion is still embracing "being the monster" so many others accuse him of being. It's not until later that Tyrion really sees what being a monster is (the Slavers, etc.) and how dwarves in the real world are treated that he begins to adjust.

• Locked thread