Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cabbit posted:

My next improbable prediction: the next page is going to be nothing but white light, then the page after that is going to be the heat death of the universe in the far future. Jones' existence is paradoxical, and time is cyclical. Continue backwards until we get to now, and then Jones answers.

I couldn't think of a possible ending to this chapter but this idea is pretty great. Good opportunity to get some foreshadowing in too. A billion years ago to the start of the Earth, nine billion years ago to the big bang, then start going backwards from the future until you get to now. Maybe that's a little much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Cabbit posted:

My next improbable prediction: the next page is going to be nothing but white light, then the page after that is going to be the heat death of the universe in the far future. Jones' existence is paradoxical, and time is cyclical. Continue backwards until we get to now, and then Jones answers.

I feel like this would mean that she has existed/will exist in all points in cyclical time and would be omniscient as a result. However, she has shown that she doesn't know how everything will play out or everyone's motivations, which make me think she isn't omniscient but just drawing on a lot of experience.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

farraday posted:

At this point I think it's fair to say Jones doesn't look human, humans look Jones.
Hipster Jones says, "I looked human before looking human was cool."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oz posted:

I feel like this would mean that she has existed/will exist in all points in cyclical time and would be omniscient as a result. However, she has shown that she doesn't know how everything will play out or everyone's motivations, which make me think she isn't omniscient but just drawing on a lot of experience.

Or time is cyclical, but has different iterations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

scary ghost dog posted:

Or time is cyclical, but has different iterations.

Nah, if it's cyclical then she has already experienced every possible permutation, including an infinite number of cycles exactly identical to this one.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nah, if it's cyclical then she has already experienced every possible permutation, including an infinite number of cycles exactly identical to this one.

Nah, this version of Jones gets killed sometime during the story and Kat has to build the new one that's a super-robot, as opposed to a robot. There has always been a Jones, but not necessarily this Jones.

Imagine four balls on a cliff...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What happened? I get a 404 on the image here...

Edit: it's back online now, everything's fine.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 3, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe there are an infinite number of permutations!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The simpler solution is that living through the end of the universe plays merry hell with your memory.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

the2ndgenesis posted:

There must be a reason why Jones looks like Homo sapiens even here, millions of years before the arrival of humans or primates in general. I mean, gently caress if I know what that reason actually is, but it's still striking to me.

I'm gonna admit, when I first saw the mixopterid in panel 2, I thought it was what Jones looked like before the emergence of chordates.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

I'm gonna admit, when I first saw the mixopterid in panel 2, I thought it was what Jones looked like before the emergence of chordates.

I glanced at this post and read that as chocolates at first, and had a brief moment where I imagined that Jones recreated herself from that mixopterid into a form that is now regarded as human at some point in the latest era just so that she could enjoy the sweet sweet product of the cocoa bean.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOELUl_P-E

I think I solved it guys.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

You know, I've been avoiding that series (that title...) but... oh my! :swoon:

Anyway, since we're playing the "Last Page" game:

ANTIMONY: "Wait... WAIT! You are older than Phylum Chordata?!?"

JONES: "Yes."

(Long pause)

ANTIMONY: "So... Hallucinogenia. How did that thing even work?"

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 3, 2012

Gothic Lolita
Jul 26, 2003

Ad astra per alas porci
I just wanna point out how Jones' "eyeliner" has a shadow in the last panel. That means it is probably more a weirdly-shaped solid piece (like false lashes) attached to her lids instead of drawn on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gothic Lolita posted:

I just wanna point out how Jones' "eyeliner" has a shadow in the last panel. That means it is probably more a weirdly-shaped solid piece (like false lashes) attached to her lids instead of drawn on.

I think those are just meant to be her real eyelashes, just... wetted together.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

scary ghost dog posted:

Maybe there are an infinite number of permutations!

With an infinite set of permutations there are still an infinite number of each permutation within that set.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

With an infinite set of permutations there are still an infinite number of each permutation within that set.

Well maybe we only just started.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So during the last chapter, when Coyote was badgering (or coyot-ing, whatever) Annie for stories, I got to thinking what she might have told if she'd decided to make one up entirely. That thought eventually turned into this thing I submitted to one of CC's contests. It's still sloppy and mostly unedited but it won second place so I guess someone liked it, and on one level it's basically GC fanfiction, so I thought I'd direct attention to it if anyone was interested.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

So during the last chapter, when Coyote was badgering (or coyot-ing, whatever) Annie for stories, I got to thinking what she might have told if she'd decided to make one up entirely. That thought eventually turned into this thing I submitted to one of CC's contests. It's still sloppy and mostly unedited but it won second place so I guess someone liked it, and on one level it's basically GC fanfiction, so I thought I'd direct attention to it if anyone was interested.

It was good! I really liked it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks, Tea.

I also had the privilege of Coyote chasing me through my dreams due to wondering about the contest results, so, uh, that happened.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Thanks, Tea.

I also had the privilege of Coyote chasing me through my dreams due to wondering about the contest results, so, uh, that happened.
You may already know this, but Tea-san is also known as Tom Siddell :ssh:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Just realized I'm going to have to wait an extra hour for this update :negative:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This Mondays update is up.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
HAY GUYS IS JONES OLD OR SOMETHING?!!

This is just me lamenting the (understandably) slow pace of this chapter. Please god, let it get to the apex soon. (You're doing fine, Tom, ignore me.)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Was Jones placed on this Earth?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The original accretion in the Solar dust cloud that formed Earth? Jones.

The perturbation in the cosmic energy field that resulted in the condensation of matter after the Big Bang? Jones.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Guys I don't think the theory about her being half stone elemental is right.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Man, Jones is gonna wake up relaxed and with a glowing complexion (:downsrim:) after that lava bath. Maybe the key to :geno: is lavatherapy. It relaxes you for eons.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So that's how she got stuck in that rock. Many mysteries are being solved this chapter.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A student posted:

This Mondays update is up.

Oh that's awesome, I checked at 3:01 AM and it wasn't.

I wonder how many sleeping Jones pages we'll get

TracyFentonHS
Nov 16, 2011
Maybe shes a fallen star or commet like Yvaine from the Neil Gaiman novel Stardust. Just the vibe I'm getting with this latest update.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

Was Jones placed on this Earth?

Somehow I get the feeling that it might have been Earth that was placed on this Jones.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I'm telling you, she'll appear at the big bang looking bored as the universe forms around her.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
"It appears as though I am trapped in rock again. Whatever."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jones was already on earth before it had cooled, and, encased in rock, she slept until she emerged in the seafloor to find a world covered in life. If we go back any further, it will be before the formation of the earth, which means that the next page will tell us how she got into the situation we see her in on this page. This revelation will be a clue to her true nature.

I'm guessing that Jones was retroactively created, or will be retroactively created, as a result of the Court's attempts to influence the etherium by means of controlled humanistic interpretation.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Welp, now Jones is pre-life on earth. I wonder if even Coyote's tooth could injure her considering the sort of forces she has weathered up to this point.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What if Tom choses to end the chapter here?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, he wouldn't do something that terrible, would he? He'd have to be Boxbot or something, and the rest of the comic doesn't indicate that at all :ohdear:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A student posted:

What if Tom choses to end the chapter here?

Then he would have put the antimony symbol in the lower right of the page. See last chapters final page (thanks to whoever sperged about linking links for showing me the light).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Checked for an update expecting Jones to be old.

Jones is, in fact, old, as she has been in every strip for the last six weeks, and as I expect her to be for at least the next week and probably the next two weeks.

I remember the glory days when I'd check for an update expecting an answer to a question or some character development or some story progression. Good times, man, good times.

(I kid, but amazing artwork aside this pacing really is utterly terrible for a serial reader. It's all the more jarring since pacing is normally something Tom's very good at...)