Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I could be wrong, but I thought most speedos ran a few percentage points high on purpose, so speeders can't blame the car or sue the manufacturer when they get pulled over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

What? The skip shift does improve mileage, it's "actual fuel consumption". What does emissions have to do with it?

"Not actual fuel consumption" as in they don't directly measure the actual amount of gasoline consumed - they sniff the tailpipe and calculate it. And it improves mileage in a specific test, not necessarily in the real world.

I don't mind it, because that solenoid saves the tax and is easy as hell to disable.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 3, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
hahahah, I guess when you're president of SRT, you can poo poo talk like this:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Weinertron posted:

So the Hyundai group got caught cheating on EPA fuel economy.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm

Here is what they did wrong: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/11/hyundai-kia-mileage-mishap-how-it-happened.html

quote:

"This test is extremely complicated and delicate and sensitive," he said. "We have been introducing many different models of vehicles to the market over the past three or four years, so we need to handle various types of models within limited amounts of time. So that's made us improve the efficiency of the test itself — how you efficiently make the test and generate the results. By doing that … we added a little [sic] more steps."

An example: Hyundai-Kia used a test track instead of simulated public roads to break in its tires before testing, Cho said. That reflected inaccurate road resistance

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ANAmal.net posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought most speedos ran a few percentage points high on purpose, so speeders can't blame the car or sue the manufacturer when they get pulled over?

My TDI is actually slow by 1-3mph, depending on speed. At 85mph cruise control I'm really at around 88mph according to my phone and Garmin.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dissss posted:

I haven't found that at all, with both the TSI and TDI (especially the smaller ones) VWs are difficult to get much better than their published figures, whereas with something lower tech like an Accord its easy to significantly beat the official figures.

I haven't found that at all with my jetta wagon; it's rated at 42mpg highway and I typically get 43mpg average when I fill up, mainly highway driving but with lots of traffic. On my more wide open morning commute I regularly get 47 or so.

This is probably why the mileage is underrated:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

You'll notice that the "highway" test is only about twelve minutes, with an average speed under 50mph, for example. Is there any surprise I see different mileage when I set the cruise at 65mph for three hours at a time?

It seems to take a while for the car to get to the point where fuel mileage is maximized. Indicated efficiency on the first 10 miles of my commute is significantly less than on the remaining 25 miles; what highway mileage people see personally likely depends a lot on how long their highway trips are.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Not actual fuel consumption" as in they don't directly measure the actual amount of gasoline consumed - they sniff the tailpipe and calculate it. And it improves mileage in a specific test, not necessarily in the real world.

I don't mind it, because that solenoid saves the tax and is easy as hell to disable.

Unless your car is magically hiding exhaust gasses away in a seperate tank or something, measuring at the tailpipe is just as good?

I don't understand this usage of the term "real world", like the EPA's test cycle happens on the Astral plane or inside a black hole or something. Yes it's a "specific test", every kind of test is a "specific test",that's how poo poo gets measured. What are you clamoring to replace it with? An average derived from unscientific, unrepeatable internet anecdotes?

The system is working as it should. There is a specific standard that everyone adhers to in order to get comparable results. Hyundai started cutting corners on their results and were quickly caught out. What's the issue?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My main beef with the system is the test doesn't really represent an actual modern highway drive. Who considers 50mph (plus a multiplier on the results, as far as I know) an actual highway drive? And the test doesn't account for idle time at all, which is why start/stop technology doesn't exist in the US; even though it does improve real-world fuel mileage (since real drivers do end up idling at lights).

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Naky posted:

Every manufacturer does this. Go on any given brand's fan forum and you'll find hordes of threads of people asking why they can't match the mileage that was on the sticker. EPA needs to investigate everyone 'cuz they're all cheating.
I dunno. I drive a 2011 Mustang, and I'm averaging about 20-21 mpg in mixed driving back and forth to work, which is pretty much dead on what you would expect based on the sticker. On a long highway trip last year I averaged about 25-26, which again is exactly what it was supposed to be.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Presto posted:

I dunno. I drive a 2011 Mustang, and I'm averaging about 20-21 mpg in mixed driving back and forth to work, which is pretty much dead on what you would expect based on the sticker. On a long highway trip last year I averaged about 25-26, which again is exactly what it was supposed to be.

Mustangs all the way back to the SN95 era seem to be spot on with the EPA estimates or a little better depending on your driving.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

hahahah, I guess when you're president of SRT, you can poo poo talk like this:

I've always liked Ralph Gilles - now I like him even more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Who considers 50mph (plus a multiplier on the results, as far as I know) an actual highway drive?

My mother.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't think anyone will be terribly surprised by the latest news:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/05/american-suzuki-motors-files-chapter-11-will-no-longer-sell-car/

quote:

American Suzuki Motor Corporation ("ASMC") Announces Restructuring and Realignment to Focus on Motorcycles/ATV and Marine Divisions

ASMC to wind down and discontinue new automobile sales in continental U.S.
Consumers will be protected and all warranties will continue to be fully honored

Granted, they'll still be selling cars in other markets. I'm surprised they managed to hold on for as long as they did in the states, though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Pretty much, as soon as they hit it out of the park with the Kizashi and absolutely nobody gave a single gently caress, the writing was on the wall.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That is a shame. I've never owned a Suzuki car but the bikes I've had have been solid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The SX4 I drove seemed nice and the Kizashi was well-reviewed. Too bad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If they carried their motorcycle philosophy over to the car side, they're cars probably wouldn't have sucked so bad. Why they aimed for the top with their motorcycles, and rock bottom with their cars never made sense.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Maybe they should have named the car something other than Kizashi here in the states.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Maybe if it didn't sound like a snoop dog-ified version of this:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

If they carried their motorcycle philosophy over to the car side, they're cars probably wouldn't have sucked so bad. Why they aimed for the top with their motorcycles, and rock bottom with their cars never made sense.

Two letters: GM.

If Suzuki had kept bringing over their overseas models instead of selling a bunch of rebadged Daewoos, they probably would have done a lot better in the US. By the time non-crap like the SX-4 and Kizashi came out, they were already at death's door.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Did they really hit it out of the park with the Kizashi, though? I remember when I looked at the Impreza I figured I owed it to myself to consider the Kizashi, but it seemed goddamn expensive for what you get in comparison. A base model Impreza is a much better value if you just want/need an AWD sedan, and the Kizashi doesn't have an option for a manual transmission (at least now; I think it did when I was looking) or larger engine to satisfy the WRX customers. Maybe I'm just looking at it from a very Canadian point of view, but I always saw the AWD as its main feature which stood out against the competition (and a very desirable selling feature), and if it can't measure up to the king in that category... what does it have? At the price, it's even starting to compete on price with the AWD specs of other midsize cars like the new Fusion with the 231hp EcoBoost.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guinness posted:

Granted, they'll still be selling cars in other markets. I'm surprised they managed to hold on for as long as they did in the states, though.

I wouldn't worry about the company as a whole - the Swift in particular is fairly successful especially in India

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
drat, color me a little surprised to be honest. They make rather decent cars for the money. I really think they did so poorly in the states because they had absolute poo poo marketing.
In regards to the Kizashi, what really killed it was no v6 option. I guess the partnership with VW must have fallen through.
Also, leaked shots of the next sx4 came out a few weeks ago; I was expecting to at least to see that on the streets.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 6, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When I was at the autoshow early this year, my general impression of Suzuki was.

"Oh, this seems like a pretty nice car. They want WHAT for it? Why the hell would I buy this over [a ton of other choices in the pricerage.]"

They had an AWD Kizashi there for around $28k. For $28k you can get a 3.6R Legacy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm a car fan and I kind of forgot Suzuki made cars.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Xguard86 posted:

I'm a car fan and I kind of forgot Suzuki made cars.

Everyone is saying 'Oh yeah, them.' I had a similar response last year when I discovered that Isuzu pulled out of the US in 2008.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So now that that's over, can we start taking bets on when mitsubishi will pack it in?

They sell about twice what suzuki sells in a month. but that still leaves them with less than 6 new vehicles sold per month, per dealer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's a genuinely scary number when you break it down to the per-dealer level. They haven't built a compelling car in a very, very long time; nothing they make is awful, but they also don't make a single vehicle where you can honestly say "yes, this is the best choice in the segment".

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Until Subaru did the 2.0L+CVT thing, Suzuki was the clear winner in the "best mileage in an AWD car" category. They also had the cheapest AWD car at $16,000 or so. I knew a few people in Vermont who had Suzukis but I never saw them anywhere else.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a genuinely scary number when you break it down to the per-dealer level. They haven't built a compelling car in a very, very long time; nothing they make is awful, but they also don't make a single vehicle where you can honestly say "yes, this is the best choice in the segment".

Dunno, the Galant seems pretty terrible. They still make that, right? It's been pretty much unchanged for almost a decade, too.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I see more newer Lancer Evo's than any other new Mitsubishi around, am fairly sure it's the only competitive car they have left.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Mitsubishi is pretty popular in Canada still. I see a lot of the newer Lancers, RVRs, Outlanders, Evos and even a few Ralliart turbos.

Insurance is gradually killing them here though - for whatever reason collision coverage on the 08+ Lancers is astronomical.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 6, 2012

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, the Galant seems pretty terrible. They still make that, right? It's been pretty much unchanged for almost a decade, too.

The Eclipse (do they still make that, even?) sure is in the running for ugliest... and that means it's competing with the Sebring (ok, so this is the 200 now and slightly less hideous) and PT Cruiser.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kenshin posted:

The Eclipse (do they still make that, even?) sure is in the running for ugliest... and that means it's competing with the Sebring (ok, so this is the 200 now and slightly less hideous) and PT Cruiser.

The only Eclipses I see in Miami have Blount County, Tennessee plates: they're rentals. This also accounts for most of the 200s I see.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Outlander isn't bad but that is a brutal, brutal segment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Eclipse isn't listed on their website. Color me surprised, I had no idea they discontinued it.

According to wikipedia.

" At the end of August 2011, the final Eclipse rolled off the assembly line, and was auctioned off, the proceeds donated to charity"

So, it's been out of production for over a year and I had no idea? Geeze.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

This always surprised me too.

The brand has such a huge cache because of their bikes, most people probably have no idea they make cars, they could make a sweet sporty car, like a Hyundai Genesis, and it would sell because they dont have the negative image like Hyundai.

Kizashi GSX-R or something like that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Suzuki are like Daihatsu. They're fantastic at building 4x4s and Kei cars, but that's really about it.

I discovered that I do, technically, fit in a Cappuccino the other day! :toot:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bull3964 posted:

The Eclipse isn't listed on their website. Color me surprised, I had no idea they discontinued it.

According to wikipedia.

" At the end of August 2011, the final Eclipse rolled off the assembly line, and was auctioned off, the proceeds donated to charity"

So, it's been out of production for over a year and I had no idea? Geeze.

They've sat on lots for awhile, nobody wants a car with an underpowered, inefficient engine in a car that hasn't been updated in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Apparently BMW is set to release a score of diesels over the next few years. Next year is a 3 series sedan and a 3 series sportwagen, both presumably with the 2.0L 180hp/280tq turbo diesel BMW has. A 5 series, 7 series, X3 and X5 all eventually follow.

If this turns out to be the case, I can only hope they release the 3 series with a manual option. I know the previous 335d was only automatic due to BMW saying the manual couldn't handle the torque.