Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

skywalker6705 posted:

I'll be standing by to see what the story is on digital releases. I'm wondering if DNS or VPN masking will work too. Accessing the EU and JP stores on PS3 and 360 is comparatively easy, so hope it's the same on the Wii U. Hopefully one of you can do a quick test on this and see what the deal is. Either way, I unfortunately don't expect full games to be up on Nintendo's store, which makes it a bit of a moot point for me.

Just based on how the Wii/DSi/3DS work, there will be absolutely no way around the region lock on the digital store - PAL units get the PAL store, NA units get the NA store, Asian units get their own respective stores, you can't just tunnel around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

skywalker6705 posted:

I'll be standing by to see what the story is on digital releases.

Have you read the OP? :confused:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Have you read the OP? :confused:

That's like chapter 1 page 1 of the "story" of digital releases, there's plenty left to see.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Well we know

• All Nintendo published games will be available for download on the day of the retail release
  • Nintendo is incentivising other publishers to do the same
  • You can store games on external media or the built in storage
  • Downloads will be region locked
  • Owners of the Deluxe console will get 10% of the value of digital purchases back in the form of eShop credit (usable once you have accumulated $5 worth)
  • At some point after launch you will be able to purchase content on devices such as phones, which means...
  • Games will be tied to an account instead of a console
  • You will be able to set a time for content to download, and you can do this remotely
  • Prices look like they'll be the same as the retail equivalent (as indicated by this practice on the 3DS eShop and the fact that Tekken is about the same price as a download in Japan)

The only thing we really don't know is which third party games will be released on the eShop and when.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Prices look like they'll be the same as the retail equivalent (as indicated by this practice on the 3DS eShop and the fact that Tekken is about the same price as a download in Japan)
...but the Tekken download is 10% off :confused:

edit: Speaking of Tekken, apparently it has a costume paint function:
http://thegamershub.net/2012/11/tekken-tag-tournament-2-wii-u-customisation-screens/

Also Captain Falcon's feelings on the Nintendo Land F-Zero game:

japtor fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 3, 2012

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

japtor posted:

...but the Tekken download is 10% off :confused:
That's only if you're subscribed to the Deluxe Digital Promotion (aka Nintendo Network Premium), which I can imagine will expire after 6 months or 1 year for Deluxe WiiU owners. You'd have to start paying a certain fee to stay subscribed to the promotion afterwards.

vvv Oh, sorry about that! That's my bad. I haven't followed Wii U news in a while, I just wrote from what I'd remembered.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 3, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tekken's Japanese digital price is 10% lower than the retail price as a standard. There are a couple third-party 3DS games that are the same. No idea if it'll be the norm for either platform outside of Japan.

EDIT: regarding the Premium promotion, it's only available as part of the core bundle and it's free for two years, with no way to subscribe/resubscribe.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Well we know

• Prices look like they'll be the same as the retail equivalent

I know it's not part of your argument but this is, and (for the forseeable future) never will be, true for digital purchases on consoles as long as they make the price equivalent of the MSRP and call it even. Games go on sale for 50% and more all the time if you know where to look, good luck getting prices like that on PSN/XBLA/e-shop.

Buying digitally is pissing away money and the sooner people realize it, the sooner we might reach actual price parity.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

That's only if you're subscribed to the Deluxe Digital Promotion (aka Nintendo Network Premium), which I can imagine will expire after 6 months or 1 year for Deluxe WiiU owners. You'd have to start paying a certain fee to stay subscribed to the promotion afterwards.

I do believe it lasts till the End of 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was paying off the rest of my games at the Gamestop and the clerk there was pretty good because he convinced me to buy another accessory. Nerf is making cases to put over the Gamepad to help protect it from drops. Makes sense to me, I wish it didn't have nerf branding all over it, but whatever. Nintendo is going to have trouble replacing these because of supply issues so seems like a decent waste of $20. Apparently they make these for 3DS too, anyone have one? Are they unobtrusive? My main concern would be interference with the radios.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I've been playing video games for over twenty years and I have never dropped a controller, handheld or anything else I used to play bideo on the ground, much less with enough force to break it. What the gently caress.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Katana Gomai posted:

I've been playing video games for over twenty years and I have never dropped a controller, handheld or anything else I used to play bideo on the ground, much less with enough force to break it. What the gently caress.

Pussy hands is a hell of a thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm not gonna be the only person playing it though, and I'm sure it will be passed around at parties. No kids(yet) but I'm sure they'll do a number on it when they're old enough.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

greatn posted:

Nintendo is going to have trouble replacing these because of supply issues so seems like a decent waste of $20.

greatn posted:

No kids(yet) but I'm sure they'll do a number on it when they're old enough.
Call it a hunch, but I think Nintendo's Wii U supply issues will be taken care of by the time your nonexistent kids are old enough to play video games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bionic posted:

Call it a hunch, but I think Nintendo's Wii U supply issues will be taken care of by the time your nonexistent kids are old enough to play video games.

Well I won't want it broken regardless if it can be replaced. Also, I don't have the kid yet but he or she has been existent for a couple months now :)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Miyamoto gave an interview to a French website:
http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

He says he is surprised to hear people want more F-Zero.

quote:

Gamekult: after a quick survey on twitter, one of the game French gamers miss the most is F Zero.
Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004.Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.
I thought people had grown weary of it.

I'd like to say:Thank you very much and try to wait by playing NintendoLand's Fzero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people:Why FZero?What do you want that we haven't done before?

He talks about about Metroid on Wii U:

quote:

Gamekult:About more traditional games, you said Metroid would be a good fit for the Wii U.Do you mean Metroid Prime, Metroid Other M or a third way?

Miyamoto:You know the kind of ideas I have about Metroid can already be found in the NintendoLand minigame, Metroid Blast.But on a more general point of view my reasoning is the following: The WiiU is a HD console, with superior graphics with more hardware power.Naturally,what comes to mind is a beautiful HD action game :big smile:

He also reveals the origin of the name "Link":

quote:

It's a little known anecdote, when we began working on Legend of Zelda the triforce's fragments were supposed to be electronic chips!LOZ was going to be a video game set in the past and the future.As the hero was making the link between the two, we called him "Link".But in the end, Link never went into the future and the game remained heroic-fantasy.You could even say there's nothing futuristic about it at all :laughs:

Translation mine.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 3, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Miyamoto gave an interview to a French website:
http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

He says he is surprised to hear people want more F-Zero.

Let's be fair to Nintendo here. You could pick just about any game, set up a poll, and get people to demand a new version of it. I'm going to assume that Nintendo has a bit better understanding of what they can sell then what an Internet poll tells them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Random Stranger posted:

Let's be fair to Nintendo here. You could pick just about any game, set up a poll, and get people to demand a new version of it. I'm going to assume that Nintendo has a bit better understanding of what they can sell then what an Internet poll tells them.

Then again, 43% of Xenoblade Chronicles was sold in the US when initially they did not intend to bring it here, and it only happened because of an online show of demand.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm kind of in awe of Miyamoto wondering why anyone would want to play an F-zero game and asking what they could possibly do that they hadn't already done with the series.

I don't know... online multiplayer maybe? New tracks? Advanced hd graphical showcase? I understand not wanting to run something into the ground but it's been eight years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If the interviewer had balls he would say Mario Kart to point out something done to death with very few new ideas.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That bit about the original LOZ having a cutting-room-floor futuristic aspect probably explains why so much of the deity stuff in the later games has a future-tech look to it. I wonder if they'll ever explore that or just keep teasing at it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

I'm kind of in awe of Miyamoto wondering why anyone would want to play an F-zero game and asking what they could possibly do that they hadn't already done with the series.

I don't know... online multiplayer maybe? New tracks? Advanced hd graphical showcase? I understand not wanting to run something into the ground but it's been eight years.

Someone asked him a couple years back about why we hadn't seen a new Star Fox/F-Zero game on home consoles and he answered that people weren't happy with the last few they'd put out and that they'd have to fundamentally think about how to go forward before they offered up a new one.

It's easy to understand where they went wrong with Star Fox, but F-Zero? The big complaint about the last one was that it was too hard, so... make it a little easier?

Supercar Gautier posted:

That bit about the original LOZ having a cutting-room-floor futuristic aspect probably explains why so much of the deity stuff in the later games has a future-tech look to it. I wonder if they'll ever explore that or just keep teasing at it.

There's concept art of a sci-fi Zelda design in that Hyrule Historia book... I can't remember which game it's from, but it's definitely one of the early ones. Adventure of Link? I forget.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 3, 2012

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's easy to understand where they went wrong with Star Fox, but F-Zero? The big complaint about the last one was that it was too hard, so... make it a little easier?

No, make it harder. That is the only way forward. And you get a controller like you did for Steel Battalion. And each car has a different way to start their engines, and if you fail YOU EXPLODE. :black101: If you turn incorrectly while braking and maintaining a nice cruising speed to keep an uplift, YOU EXPLODE. :black101: You finish the race in first place, but you were one nanosecond too slow to beat the world record, YOU DISAPPOINT. :smith:

THEN YOU EXPLODE. :black101: :black101: :black101:

We can rename the series to Drift Souls.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So this is some weird fan commercial made by Nintendomination that people might assume is a real commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP-2M2tpY04

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm really amazed Miyamoto would say something like that. I'm sure it was just PR speak for "It's not going to sell as well as Mario and Zelda."

GX was critically acclaimed but you have to admit only a niche audience really loved the game. The idea of it is so simple but there's nothing else out there quite like it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

AngryCaterpillar posted:

In regards to other franchises on Wii U, here are a few things I'd like to see
Zelda: sci-fi elements

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

sci-fi elements in Zelda (why!?)

Miyamoto posted:

It's a little known anecdote, when we began working on Legend of Zelda the triforce's fragments were supposed to be electronic chips!LOZ was going to be a video game set in the past and the future.As the hero was making the link between the two, we called him "Link".

:smug:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So this is some weird fan commercial made by Nintendomination that people might assume is a real commercial:

This is pretty embarrassing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Made me think of this instantly

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

There have been plenty of sci-fi elements in Zelda since Majora's Mask. There just hasn't been an aesthetically "futuristic" Hyrule yet. Never say never, though. The concept did exist at one point, so who's to say they won't toy with it again?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the "sci-fi Zelda" concept design from LttP:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's probably not going to be a sci-fi Zelda just yet. More than likely they'll have Link fly a bi-plane or something in the next intallment. They'll introduce technology in small increments and eventually it will be an all out space war with link running across Gannon's fleet jumping from ship to ship destroying each town sized star cruiser one with a single sword strike.

Then again spirit tracks allready exists. :krakentoot:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A sci-fi Legend of Zelda? :swoon:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the "sci-fi Zelda" concept design from LttP:

Oh. an 80's sci-fi Legend of Zelda.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Eventually it will be an all out space war with link running across Gannon's fleet jumping from ship to ship destroying each town sized star cruiser one with a single sword strike.

Legend of Zelda: Link's Wrath. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

quote:

Gamekult: after a quick survey on twitter, one of the game French gamers miss the most is F Zero.
Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004.Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.
I thought people had grown weary of it.

I'd like to say:Thank you very much and try to wait by playing NintendoLand's Fzero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people:Why FZero?What do you want that we haven't done before?

gently caress you Miyamoto you ignorant poo poo. Here's what we want: A highly challenging, satisfyingly competitive high speed racing game with great online, a deep car/track customizer, and some bitchin' tunes to listen to while I spin attack my opponent to death while going 2000km/h.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

gently caress you Miyamoto you ignorant poo poo. Here's what we want: A highly challenging, satisfyingly competitive high speed racing game with great online, a deep car/track customizer, and some bitchin' tunes to listen to while I spin attack my opponent to death while going 2000km/h.

The game then sells 5 copies.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

TaurusOxford posted:

gently caress you Miyamoto you ignorant poo poo.

That's a lot of vitriol for "I didn't realize people wanted a new F-Zero."

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TaurusOxford posted:

Here's what we want: A highly challenging, satisfyingly competitive high speed racing game with great online, a deep car/track customizer, and some bitchin' tunes to listen to while I spin attack my opponent to death while going 2000km/h.

People don't actually want this, if the wailing and gnashing about GX's difficulty around these parts is the majority opinion.

But I'd be one of the five people who buy this theoretical new F-Zero alongside of you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
GX was only super difficult on the super difficult modes, and adventure mode was very much course memorization and muscle memory. The regular racing modes were incredibly varied and not all that difficult until you got up to the higher cups on expert, or any cup at all on master. Even that you could cheese with your own custom vehicle. The only real complaint is that you have to beat the super difficult modes to unlock all content.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

greatn posted:

GX was only super difficult on the super difficult modes, and adventure mode was very much course memorization and muscle memory. The regular racing modes were incredibly varied and not all that difficult until you got up to the higher cups on expert, or any cup at all on master. Even that you could cheese with your own custom vehicle. The only real complaint is that you have to beat the super difficult modes to unlock all content.

You could also just take your memory card to an F-Zero AX cabinet to unlock the content, which kind of makes F-Zero GX the earliest instance of paying to unlock content you'd normally have to get through playing the game.

Too bad they're super scarce now, I doubt I'll ever actually finish Chapters 7 through 9 on Very Hard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TechnoSyndrome posted:

You could also just take your memory card to an F-Zero AX cabinet to unlock the content, which kind of makes F-Zero GX the earliest instance of paying to access content you'd normally have to unlock through playing the game.

Oh yeah, those AX cabinets at every corner store, they were ubiquitous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

greatn posted:

Oh yeah, those AX cabinets at every corner store, they were ubiquitous.

I didn't play GX until a few years after it had come out, but were they super rare even when the game came out? By the time I got around to it there was like one cabinet per state.

• Locked thread