Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Les Oeufs posted:

I'm using an android app called Shortwave Schedules. It seems to be working quite well. I've heard people complain that some of the info is wrong, but it seems to be working pretty well for me.
That looks like an interesting app, and it's free, too. I'll have to give that a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

foobar posted:

I don't have much info about current antennas but I had an AN-LP1 (which I sold to another goon in this very thread) and it was AWESOME - I highly recommend seeing if you can get your hands on a used one.

While not AN-LP1 awesome the Degen 31 active antenna works pretty great for me;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DEGEN-31MS-Indoor-MW-SW-Active-Loop-Antenna-/320934832996?pt=US_Radio_Antennas&hash=item4ab934eb64

Hard to beat for under $20. I use mine to DX at a table away from a window. Put the loop in a window with a suction cup, run cord to my Sony 2010 or Grundig G5. Only downside is having to tune two knobs, frequency then antenna to clearify the signal. This antenna often brings barely-there signals to S3 levels, very helpful with tropical stations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

foobar posted:

I don't have much info about current antennas but I had an AN-LP1 (which I sold to another goon in this very thread) and it was AWESOME - I highly recommend seeing if you can get your hands on a used one.

Yeah, I'm still using the AN-LP1 I picked up years ago, and it's pretty impressive especially for its size. And it's very portable with how it folds up. Well worth it if you can find one for a decent price on eBay, they seem to pop up pretty regularly. Although to be fair I haven't tried out anything in the same size range, so I don't know how it compares to something like the Degen that Radio Nowhere mentioned.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

If anyone is still interested in number stations, there is one right now at 6.768 MHz. It's in Spanish, probably from Cuba.

edit -
Good times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=278DSbDh2HE

TremorX fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 28, 2012

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

TremorX posted:

If anyone is still interested in number stations, there is one right now at 6.768 MHz. It's in Spanish, probably from Cuba.

They're one of the main reasons I want a shortwave radio. Anyone hear Firedrake lately?

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006

Radio Nowhere posted:

While not AN-LP1 awesome the Degen 31 active antenna works pretty great for me;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DEGEN-31MS-Indoor-MW-SW-Active-Loop-Antenna-/320934832996?pt=US_Radio_Antennas&hash=item4ab934eb64

Hard to beat for under $20. I use mine to DX at a table away from a window. Put the loop in a window with a suction cup, run cord to my Sony 2010 or Grundig G5. Only downside is having to tune two knobs, frequency then antenna to clearify the signal. This antenna often brings barely-there signals to S3 levels, very helpful with tropical stations.

Just ordered one from that link. Free shipping. After conversion it was $20.57. I'd say that was agreeable

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

This has already started, but something to listen for this weekend:

quote:

Scandinavian Weekend Radio special broadcast this weekend
Posted on August 3, 2012 by Thomas

Scandinavian Weekend Radio will broadcast for 24 hours during the Finnish DX Association’s 50th Annual Summer Meeting, Friday, August 3 and Saturday August 4, 2012.

Try to catch Scandinavian Weekend Radio’s broadcasts when conditions are favorable for your part of the globe. Their online radio schedule could be a bit confusing for those of you new to SWLing–I’ve produced a simple broadcast schedule with times in UTC below:

Friday, August 3rd, 2012

21:00 – 22:00 UTC on 6,170 and 11,720 kHz
22:00 – 24:00 UTC on 6,170 and 11,690 kHz

Saturday, August 4th, 2012

00:00 – 07:00 UTC on 6,170 and 11,690 kHz
07:00 – 08:00 UTC on 5,980 and 11,720 kHz
08:00 – 13:00 UTC on 6,170 and 11,720 kHz
13:00 – 14:00 UTC on 6,170 and 11,690 kHz
14:00 – 16:00 UTC on 5,980 and 11,690 kHz
16:00 – 18:00 UTC on 5,980 and 11,720 kHz
18:00 – 21:00 UTC on 6,170 and 11,690 kHz

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
UVB-76/MDZhB (The Buzzer) 4625 KHz has changed the tone of its buzzing. Sounds much less menacing now with a higher pitch.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I prefer the old buzzer. :smith:

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

foobar posted:

It's me. I was the other goon. The antenna is great!

Sorry for a long-delayed response to this; I don't generally listen to my radio during the summer, so I don't check the thread very often except in fall/winter/spring. That being said, I'm looking forward to pulling it back out now that it'll be darker earlier and I feel less obligated to do things outside!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Jasta posted:

I prefer the old buzzer. :smith:

Well due to popular demand it's back!

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

All is well in the world.

Anyone hear Firedrake lately? I'd love to find it and show some of my friends. :xd:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Jesus, this loving thread is still going? loving losers.

I kid! I kid! Tragically I haven't been able to do much SWL in the last couple of years. Moved to a new city and my mag loop got wrecked in the move, and there's lots of interference from assorted data burst and spread spectrum military poo poo nearby (Colorado Springs is a garrison town). I'm tickled pink to see the thread still going strong, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where I can find a sample (complete) Weatherfax transmission in MP3 or WAV or whatever format? I don't have a radio but I want to try this HF FAX iPad decoder that I bought on a whim because it looked super neat.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
This might help. There are so many weird, wild sounds on HF that googling up whatever you're looking for plus "sound sample" usually yields results.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! I'll give those a look.

There are plenty of samples that I found, but they don't usually include the sync sounds at the beginning of the transmission, and this app doesn't make adjusting after the fact very easy.

I'm going to try to just find a cheap SW radio and do this myself if I can't find a complete transmission online at some point. Seems like I can get into this for not a terrible amount of money which is good since I basically just want to dick around with HF-FAX and SSTV :)

e: That site only has ten seconds, and it's surprisingly difficult to find a complete transmission on Youtube. I emailed the developer of the app to see if they can supply a sample, but I might just end up throwing $50 or something at a radio and test it with the real thing.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 17, 2012

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Jesus, this loving thread is still going? loving losers.

This was my thought too! A couple weeks ago I was thinking, "What ever happened to that shortwave thread I used to read four years ago?" I was going to look through the archives bu I was shocked to see it still going. My last post in it was two years ago and somehow it got removed from my bookmarks. My old E5 has been sitting mostly unused since I got a full time job two years ago and I can't stay up too late anymore. I went camping with some friends last month and for the heck of it I brought my radio. We listened to various stations. Thankfully my group had people who could speak Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese so they could translate some of the stations. I really want to get back into listening more this winter if I'm not too busy.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You know, when I get home from work I'll try to produce a sample weather fax image and record the sound. Pretty sure I can do it with MULTIFSK.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

AFN (AFRTS) drops Key West transmitters
Posted on September 20, 2012 by Thomas
Due to budget cuts, the American Forces Network (AFRTS) has decommissioned their Key West, Florida SW frequencies of: 5446, 7811, 12133 kHz

Since the Navy provides the shortwave service as a supplementary or backup service for their ships that don’t have the Navy’s Direct-to-Sailor (DTS) capability, I’m not terribly surprised they’re downsizing. Even so, the AFN still maintains their Guam and Diego Garcia transmitters as they recognize that the, “(s)hortwave service is also an option for land-based listeners in remote locations that do not have access to local or satellite-delivered AFRTS full Satellite Network (SATNET) services.”

AFN/AFRTS Shortwave Frequencies (note: all broadcasts are in USB)

Diego Garcia:
12,579 kHz daytime
4,319 kHz nighttime
Guam:
13,362 kHz daytime
5,765 kHz nighttime
Personally, I’m a little saddened by the cuts as the Key West facility was the easiest for me to hear in the US, though I routinely hear Guam and Diego Garcia. Not familiar with the AFRTS? Check out our recent post.
This is too bad, because I can usually only ever hear the Key West transmitter.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

The Mighty KBC testing transatlantic signal on 9.4 MHz, October 7, 2012
Posted on September 28, 2012 by Thomas
See if you can catch this test transmission on Sunday, October 7 (oo:00-02:00UTC) from The Mighty KBC in the Netherlands:

(Source: The Mighty KBC)

The Mighty KBC is testing on 9400 kHz on Sunday, October 7th, 2012 between 00.00 – 02.00 UTC with 100kW beamed to the USA, South America and Canada.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
You see this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509741&pagenumber=1

Remember that idea we had way back when of starting a Something Awful pirate number station? WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T WE DO THAT FOR REALS?!? That would have made all this poo poo even more hilarious.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Not shortwave at all but none of my friends care and I want to tell SOMEBODY.

I found a Tivoli Model One at the thrift store for $9. It's the Platinum Edition which means it costs $50 more because it's ~~Really Shiny~~.
The tuning was awful and loud so I opened it up to clean the tuner and discovered that all four posts that the screws that hold it together thread into were snapped off. Also there were a bunch of dried out broken rubber bands inside.
So I cleaned the tuner and found some long screws that would reach the now shorter posts and put it back together and it sounds GREAT.

But yeah a $200 radio is held together with rubber bands.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 10, 2012

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dog Case posted:

I found a Tivoli Model One at the thrift store for $9. It's the Platinum Edition which means it costs $50 more because it's ~~Really Shiny~~.
The tuning was awful and loud so I opened it up to clean the tuner and discovered that all four posts that the screws that hold it together thread into were snapped off. Also there were a bunch of dried out broken rubber bands inside.
So I cleaned the tuner and found some long screws that would reach the now shorter posts and put it back together and it sounds GREAT.

That's a pretty sweet deal. I actually really like all those tabletop "high-end" radios made to look vintage that started popping up last decade.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dog Case posted:

I really like these table radios as well, but you just confirmed my suspicion that they are all held together with the cheapest bullshit works the factory can put out.

A while ago I asked if there was a Tivoli-style radio kit you could put together (like in the 70's) and that met with silence. Google searching also met with silence. So I take it that route is dried up?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Mighty KBC test transmission now scheduled for October 21st
Posted on October 9, 2012 by Thomas
The Mighty KBC just announced a change in frequency and time for their next test transmission.

They are now testing on Sunday, October 21st from 00:00 – 02:00 UTC on 9,500 kHz.

Signal reports can be sent to: themightykbc@gmail.com

KingOMtDew
Dec 29, 2008
Crosspost from ham radio thread

Numbers station alert! (on the ham bands)

I was on w4ax.com tonight listening to the bands. I have to do it over the net now, my old shack is now my son's bedroom. I am looking at the waterfalls on the site and there is an odd looking signal at 14.132, LSB.

I click on it and its a person reading phonetic alphabet letters with some numbers. "oscar whiskey uniform kilo 4 whiskey..." I was listening for over 20 minutes. There was an occasional pause, and the person reading even switched to a different person once.

Another person who was listening with me on the site said they had heard it last night too. So maybe its a nightly thing? It stopped around 10:45PM EDT. Not sure when it starts, the other listener said that they had been listening for an hour.

So what do you think it is, fellow goons? The signal was strong for 20 meters that late, this time of year, it was about the only signal on the 20 meter waterfall. Maybe it was coming from near Atlanta, GA, where the receivers are for the web site.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It could also be an emergency action message. I'll see if I can pick it up tonight; I'm in northern Virginia so if it's an EAM there's a good chance it's being sent from here.

EDIT: That link does a real poo poo job of explaining what's going on. Here is a better one. There are also youtube videos(search for x06shadow, he has a ton) of EAMs broadcast openly on shortwave. The TLDR version is that they're basically just the modern equivalent of guards on a tower shouting "eight o'clock and all is well!"

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 13, 2012

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Anyone heard The Buzzer lately? I can't really grab it where I am, but the wikipedia page makes it look like it's been going crazy lately.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Another Mighty KBC transmission into North/South America–Nov 4th
Posted on October 30, 2012 by Thomas

KBC Propagation Map (Source: The Mighty KBC)
The Mighty KBC is once again broadcasting into North and South America on 9,500 kHz, Sunday, November 4th (00:00-02:00 UTC).

This is their third 2 hour broadcast in the 31 meter band this year.

Try to catch them! If the past is any indicator, their signal is strong (easily heard on a portable in eastern NA) and their music mixes are fantastic.
Maybe I'll get to listen this time!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
For number station freaks "The Conet Project" is being re-released on CD with a new 5th disc.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/tcp1111

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

North Korea updates transmitters and jamming ability
Posted on November 1, 2012 by Thomas
(Source: Daily NK)

The North Korean authorities are in the process of replacing their existing shortwave radio transmitters, Daily NK has learned. The measure appears designed to both allow better broadcasts targeting South Korea and stop outside shortwave broadcasts entering.

According to the Northeast Asian Broadcasting Institute (NABI), the authorities made their first move in March this year, replacing the shortwave transmission equipment at Kanggye Transmission Station in Jagang Province with modern equipment made by Beijing BBEF Electronics Group Co. Kanggye Transmission Station is one of three high output shortwave transmission facilities in North Korea, with the other two being at Pyongyang and in Gujang County, North Pyongan Province. [...]

North Korea has two shortwave broadcasters; Chosun Central 1st Broadcast and Pyongyang Broadcast. The first is for the domestic and international audience while the latter serves the international audience only, leading to the assumption that North Korea is replacing its existing transmitters in order to improve its broadcasts targeting South Korea. With the sort of modern equipment arriving from BBEF, North Korean broadcasts will be receivable anywhere in South Korea, no matter where in the North they are broadcast from.

According to NABI, North Korea’s shortwave broadcasting capacity was previously very weak due to worn out and broken equipment. Signal strength was particularly weak, meaning that listeners tended to receive a different channel even when tuned directly to the intended broadcast frequency. According to one defector from Pyongyang who arrived in South Korea in June 2011, the signal strength of Chosun Central 1st Broadcast was so weak at times that it was even unlistenable in most regions of North Korea.

However, the quality has recently improved dramatically, as Park Sung Moon of NABI explained to Daily NK, saying, "Recent analysis of North Korea’s shortwave Chosun Central 1st Broadcast and Pyongyang Broadcast reveal that they are being broadcast clearly and consistently, without interference or signal shifting."[...]

The other side of the coin is that improved shortwave transmission strength stops incoming signals from reaching listeners.

According to one defector who used to be a part of the Party Propaganda and Agitation Department, "They know that when the Chosun Central 1st Broadcast signal strength is weak, it regularly arrives with outside broadcasts mixed in. I think they want to stop this happening."

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I was thinking about making a new post in the DIY & Hobbies thread about rebuilding a R-392 500k-32MHz receiver. After 5 years, I finally located an original mildly radioactive signal level meter for it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in that or radio restoration in general.

Edit: Yay, my first thread created. Wonder how well it will be received and I hope it doesn't get gassed.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 5, 2012

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Paperweight posted:

I was thinking about making a new post in the DIY & Hobbies thread about rebuilding a R-392 500k-32MHz receiver. After 5 years, I finally located an original mildly radioactive signal level meter for it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in that or radio restoration in general.

Yes, please.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

An interesting little twist on their test transmissions:

quote:

The Mighty KBC tests 9,450 kHz and will send a digital message this weekend
Posted on November 6, 2012 by Thomas

KBC Propagation Map (Source: The Mighty KBC)
This Sunday, from 00:00-02:00 UTC, The Mighty KBC will again broadcast 2 hours of music on the 31 meter band. This time, they will be testing on 9,450 kHz to avoid adjacent signal interference heard on 9,500 kHz last week.

They will also broadcast a special digital message at 01:30 and then again prior to the end of their broadcast. They have sent full details about the broadcast in a press release (below). Note that though the mode is different, the procedure of decoding the digital message is similar to the one WBCQ broadcast this year. We published a short primer on decoding the WBCQ message in May.

Here are the details on Sunday’s broadcast and how to decode the QPSK125 message:

(Source: The Might KBC)

The Mighty KBC will test to the USA on Sunday 11 November 2012 00.00 – 02.00 UTC on 9450 kHz!

Please join the Mighty KBC for a test of a digital text sent via a shortwave broadcast transmitter. This will take place during the next transmission to North America, Sunday 0000-0200 UTC, at approximately 0130 and just before the end of the broadcast at 0200.

All you need is a basic shortwave receiver (no SSB mode is necessary), and a basic personal computer. Using a patch cord, you will feed the audio out of the earphone jack (or line out) of your radio into the microphone jack of your PC. If you don’t have a patch cord, you can try placing the speaker of your radio close to the built-in microphone of a laptop PC.

You will also need software. There are several freeware or shareware programs used by the amateur radio community that decode digital text modes. One is FLDIGI, available from http://www.w1hkj.com.

After installing FLDIGI, pull down the Configure menu, then click Sound Card, and select the soundcard your PC is using.

You might also have to adjust your audio settings. In Windows 7, left click twice on the speaker icon in the lower right of PC display, then click Options, then click Properties, then click Recording, then click the input that works. Other operating systems will have different procedures. A good way to test your audio settings is to try to decode the radio amateurs using the PSK31 mode on 14070 kHz.

For the test digital text transmissions on Sunday, The Mighty KBC will be using the QPSK125 mode. On your software, your cursor should be centered on 1500 Hertz, where you will see the “waterfall” of the QPSK125 signal. You can decode the transmission while you receive it, or record the transmission and decode from the recording. The latter will give you more opportunities to perfect the technique.

The test to be transmitted will be a formatted html file. Copy it from <html> to (and including) </html>, and paste it to a text editor (such as Notepad in Windows). Save the file, using any file name, with the suffix .htm or .html. Then open the file in any web browser. If all goes well, this might be the first time you receive a shortwave radio broadcast in color!

In the future, an app will be developed to make this process simpler!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Radio Nowhere posted:

For number station freaks "The Conet Project" is being re-released on CD with a new 5th disc.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/tcp1111

Come on people, get on the Conet Project Bus. I don't want to have to end up with 20 copies just to get them over the line.

ACHT NEUEN ACHT ZWEI SECHS TRELLUNG DREI SIEBEN

ENDE

walph
Dec 3, 2011
I've been spending way too much time on webSDR servers like http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

I was looking at getting a SDR receiver setup with continuous frequency range at least ~100kHz - 30MHz, (ideally more) for under a few hundred $.

It seems like the best choices are between

FUNcube Dongle Pro+ (150khz - 240 MHz, 420MHz - 1.9Hhz, ~220$)
FiFi-SDR (200khz - 30MHz, ~190$)
HPSDR (DC - 55MHz, ~700$)

I'm leaning towards the FUNcube since it has a very large range at a pretty good price point. But i wonder if the quality is going to be significantly reduced since it downconverts, compared to say the HPSDR which does direct sampling with a 16 bit 130MSPS ADC

Transmitting would be nice but i'm not too interested in it at the moment.

I'll still have to figure out how i'm going to run an antenna(s)/preamp for such a massive frequency range

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
I'm going to give this cheapo SDR a crack: http://rtlsdr.org/start

Ordered up a dongle with the necessary RTL2832U/R820T guts for £9.90 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DVB-T-RTL-SDR-Receiver-Realtek-RTL2832U/dp/B009VBUYA0/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_t_2

Decent SDR for under a tenner? Got to be worth a try.

stinky ox fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 22, 2012

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Have a TECSUN PL660 on order, arriving Wednesday. Here's to hoping there is something out there to listen to.

Has anyone thoughts on the quality of the unit? Seemed to get pretty good reviews elsewhere.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Got the tecsun set up. AM is passable but not as good as my truck's OEM radio. A lot to do with it is the office I have it set up has a ton of electronic stuff in it.

Going to give the home-brewed magnetic loop antenna a shot when time allows. For now I have a wire lopped around a west-facing window (inside) and get a handful of SW stuff at night. I suspect being in a valley surrounded by honking huge mountains may block a smidge of the signals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
I got bored and decided to find out what would happen when I tuned my radio to the same frequency as NFC devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDlnTtpI4U

hazza fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 12, 2013

• Locked thread