Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tomorrow's recipe is chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lurdiak posted:

What about the second cookbook, though, any word on that???????

Send in your dollars now and he'll send you out a copy.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Lurdiak posted:

What about the second cookbook, though, any word on that???????

Look under your chairs!! :ssh:

now clean your floor, that poo poo's nasty

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Really liked the first cookbook, Onstad revolutionized how I make oven fries and now they are always perfect. Flavor burgers own too.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Honestly, the cookbook recipe I make the most often is Galaxy Nachos. His fried chicken technique from the Mercury is pretty good too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Last update, June 20. Previous strips, May 19 and May 14. Doesn't seem like he intended to keep even the one strip a month schedule for long. Oh well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Saoshyant posted:

Last update, June 20. Previous strips, May 19 and May 14. Doesn't seem like he intended to keep even the one strip a month schedule for long. Oh well.

Well at least we got the cook book out of it. And it's pretty drat good too!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Saoshyant posted:

Thought briefly about the webcomic the other day, incredibly sad :(.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

Well with what he turned Cornelius into, I don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe if he would stop sniffing all his heated up marijuana, he could get back to normal Achewood writing, and away from Achewood while on drugs writing.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Atmus posted:

Maybe if he would stop sniffing all his heated up marijuana

The proper term is "dry-steaming." :colbert:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

tripwood posted:

Really liked the first cookbook, Onstad revolutionized how I make oven fries and now they are always perfect. Flavor burgers own too.

All this time I'd been making baked potatoes the wrong way. I didn't know you COULD put them right on the oven rack unwrapped—I just assumed they'd catch fire or something.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Atmus posted:

Well with what he turned Cornelius into, I don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe if he would stop sniffing all his heated up marijuana, he could get back to normal Achewood writing, and away from Achewood while on drugs writing.

Man, why you even got to do a thing?

Seriously, dude's been through big changes, and reading between the lines, they've been pretty shattering to him. If he had tried to stick to a rapid schedule previously, I'd give decent odds every other strip would be about how Molly is loving up Roast Beef's life, and then Roast Beef would finally leave her and turn into Ray's cooler hard-partying buddy who fucks a lot of women. (OK, so maybe I'm squinting really hard reading between the lines.)

It sounds like things are calming down and he's doing a lot of other projects. The last few comics have shown some flashes of brilliance, but it's nothing like the days of yore. I hope he finds his muse again, but if he doesn't, I'd rather Achewood end here rather than a series of infrequent strips of declining quality.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If he doesn't find his muse again, I'd rather Achewood have ended in 2008, immediately after Roast Beef and Molly's wedding.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That sounds about right. Seems like after that, the chuckles got rougher as time wore on.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

But then there's no Cornelius and Polly or North Korean Magical Realism, which aren't perfect but I still love.

If I had to pick an ending for Achewood, I'd probably put it exactly at this strip. Phillipe getting closure finally works nicely as a bittersweet sort of ending. It also really nails the idea that you can't go back to something that's no longer a part of you, which is exactly what Onstad is trying to do any time he starts up achewood again.

Plus this way Achewood ends right before Nice Pete's high school, which I don't think anyone here would have a problem with.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maduo posted:

Plus this way Achewood ends right before Nice Pete's high school, which I don't think anyone here would have a problem with.

That would mean no agitated illegal chinchilla farmer, and I ain't having that :colbert:

I thought (and still think) Achewood maintained its quality all the way through, but the flow of the comic was completely disrupted by the long stretches between new strips and that is what really hurt it. I'll be delighted if Onstad gets back into a regular update schedule again but I've long since stopped actively checking up on it to see if there has been a new strip, and I'm certainly not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

What really bugs me is that the Dark Horse hardcovers appear to have been abandoned, because I really loved those.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Maduo posted:

But then there's no Cornelius and Polly or North Korean Magical Realism, which aren't perfect but I still love.

If I had to pick an ending for Achewood, I'd probably put it exactly at this strip. Phillipe getting closure finally works nicely as a bittersweet sort of ending. It also really nails the idea that you can't go back to something that's no longer a part of you, which is exactly what Onstad is trying to do any time he starts up achewood again.

But if it ended on that strip, we would've missed out on all of the slide-whistles and men being punched in the erections that the next one had!

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Jerusalem posted:

What really bugs me is that the Dark Horse hardcovers appear to have been abandoned, because I really loved those.

Seriously. Those were really nice books. Even though I own all his little self-published paperbacks, I was ready to throw down money again for all of the Dark Horse ones because of how wonderful they were.

I thought he'd at least keep putting those out to try and get some income. But, if his inspiration has truly faltered, then I suppose he wouldn't be able to write all the cool extra stuff that made the first three so good. :sigh:

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
Oh wow, I just went and googled the dark horse books and it looks like I can get all three with overseas postage for under $45 at the moment, seems like a pretty good deal!

They must be pretty slim books though, about how much of the archives does each one cover?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SebAndSeb posted:

Oh wow, I just went and googled the dark horse books and it looks like I can get all three with overseas postage for under $45 at the moment, seems like a pretty good deal!

They must be pretty slim books though, about how much of the archives does each one cover?
One is the Great Outdoor Fight, and the others are... slightly larger chunks of the archives because they don't have as much supplementary material, I think.

EDIT: They are quite good though. I used to live in the real-world counterpart of Achewood, and some of the commentary talks about places I used to go or recognize.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They're amazing books, seriously. Each strip includes not only the alt text but a little commentary by Onstad on each comic. Some talk about what he likes/dislikes about that strip, others discuss the reasons he put it together the way he did, others go into unrelated but amusing material. Plus he included a bunch of extra content at different points in the book such as in-character interviews/backstories and such.

I imagine a shitload of work went into putting them books together, and I don't know if he just doesn't want to continue to put that much work in/can't handle the schedule/the books weren't successful enough to justify doing more or putting in the work. All I know is that I really dug them and was happily planning on getting every single one when they came out. Looks like I completed my collection far faster than I thought I would :smith:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

SebAndSeb posted:

One covers the Great Outdoor Fight, as has been said, and the two chronological ones only get up to this strip.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think what makes me saddest about the lack of new Dark Horse books is that they were so close to the Subway arc. I would have been so happy to have the Subway Arc in print. It is all I ever could have dreamed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Achewood may be dead, but its spirit lives on in our hearts and minds. And fanart by the creator of Gunnerkrigg Court.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

EDIT: They are quite good though. I used to live in the real-world counterpart of Achewood, and some of the commentary talks about places I used to go or recognize.

Is it always time for under pants at Underpants Time?!?!?!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Is it always time for under pants at Underpants Time?!?!?!
According to their ad literature yes. I personally just wash mine instead of buying a year's supply.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I guess that's what separates you and Roast Beef.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, my family had a washing machine. Roast Beef... we all know Roast Beef in here. :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Zereth posted:

Well, my family had a washing machine. Roast Beef... we all know Roast Beef in here. :smith:

Dude comes from circumstances.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Just decided to go back and read the archives after not following since probably 2008. It's made me remember that Achewood is basically the funniest thing ever and I have no idea why I ever quit reading it. And I'm only up to the one with Todd's license plate.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Today in Oakland I saw a guy on what had to be a gravity-sensible skitter-cart pulling into a Whole Foods parking lot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

withak posted:

Today in Oakland I saw a guy on what had to be a gravity-sensible skitter-cart pulling into a Whole Foods parking lot.

Pat's blog is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Music Pat has downloaded, legally and for free:

Merryweather Spitbugs
Preston Cloche
Fingerstyle guitar

Party of Rain
Spencer Westwood
Fingerstyle guitar

Bodicea's Lair
Imagination
Fingerstyle guitar

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've been doing an archive binge, and it really surprised me just how fast Ray, Roast Beef, and Pat went from bit characters whose only characterization is being "the dirtiest dudes in town" to such rich, unique personalities.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pakled posted:

I've been doing an archive binge, and it really surprised me just how fast Ray, Roast Beef, and Pat went from bit characters whose only characterization is being "the dirtiest dudes in town" to such rich, unique personalities.
ROAST BEEF
THE MIDDLE CAT
NOT RAY, NOT PAT

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

'The Middle Cat' still describes Roast Beef to a T.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Achewood's down. Hopefully not permanently.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wootcannon posted:

Achewood's down. Hopefully not permanently.

And all souls did burn that day.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, hell. Did someone mirror the whole thing before the lights went down?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Quick, easy idea for Chris if he still wants money: Illustrate some episodes from the characters' blogs, like Pat chewing out Cornelius for insulting Rod. Then sell it as a book. There are probably still a ton of people who haven't read the blogs yet, and it's a lot easier than coming up with new ideas.