Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cat Power worked for these folks?

Oh, that's hilarious. Very, very hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Does anybody know of any good wrestling documentaries? I really like the behind the scenes stuff a lot more than the actual program. I've seen things like hitman heart and beyond the mat and enjoyed them.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

There's two documentaries on the history of World Class Championship Wrestling, a WWE-produced one called Triumph and Tragedy of WCCW and an unlicensed one called Heroes of World Class. Both are very good. Memphis Heat was released earlier this year, and covers Memphis Wrestling during the territory days--it was also excellent. There's also The Rise + Fall of ECW and The Rise + Fall of WCW, but the former is much, much better than the latter.

As for wrestler specific ones, Stone Cold Steve Austin: The Bottom Line on the Most Popular Superstar of All Time, CM Punk: Best in the World and Breaking the Code: Behind the Walls of Chris Jericho are all very in-depth and good. Most of the WWE ones are on Netflix Instant, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding them.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Herr Direktor posted:

Does anybody know of any good wrestling documentaries? I really like the behind the scenes stuff a lot more than the actual program. I've seen things like hitman heart and beyond the mat and enjoyed them.
Wrestling Road Diaries is great but more travel diary than a professional documentary. Basically you ride along with Colt Cabana, Bryan Danielson, and Sal Rinauro to see the day to day of an indy wrestler. There's some locker room stuff and going over matches. If you want to see backstage discussion and planning, this is the best you're going to get after Hitman Hart and Beyond the Mat

The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling is pretty entertaining. It's a brief 20th century history, with an obvious focus on the modern stuff they could actually get footage of.

A lot of people really liked Memphis Heat but it wasn't my thing. It's a pretty in depth look at the Memphis territory.

Some of the WWE documentaries are good but the best you'll get is an interview about the reaction backstage years before.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Cardboard Box posted:

There's two documentaries on the history of World Class Championship Wrestling, a WWE-produced one called Triumph and Tragedy of WCCW and an unlicensed one called Heroes of World Class. Both are very good. Memphis Heat was released earlier this year, and covers Memphis Wrestling during the territory days--it was also excellent. There's also The Rise + Fall of ECW and The Rise + Fall of WCW, but the former is much, much better than the latter.
The WCW one is pretty cool if you got into wrestling later in life like I did. But you are right, ECW one is so much better because so many people were deeply and emotionally involved in the company.

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

Herr Direktor posted:

I really enjoyed one that used to be available on Netflix streaming called either Subject to Change or Card Subject to Change. A great look at personal lives of independent wrestlers. I remember Trent Acid and Rhett Titus specifically, but a ton of others too.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Herr Direktor posted:

I actually wrote about this a couple weeks ago.

http://emailsihavesent.blogspot.com/2012/10/wrestling-documentaries.html

Like a lot of others have said, the ECW, WCW, and World Class releases are all fantastic. Punk is probably my favorite of the individual WWE-produced docs. Card Subject to Change is really good if you're looking for something more focused on the indies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The WCW documentary and the Unreal Story of Pro Wrestling are both really bad. Their grasp of history is pretty weak, but the way they have to gloss over almost everything due to the short running times may be worse.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Cat Power worked for these folks?

Oh, that's hilarious. Very, very hilarious.

Do not besmirch the name of Chan Marshall.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows includes a lot of total BS by Bret but it's still an amazing moment in wrestling captured with terrible native tribal noises.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows includes a lot of total BS by Bret but it's still an amazing moment in wrestling captured with terrible native tribal noises.

Do you mean Bret's self serving ways? Because to me that's some of the most interesting stuff in the movie when I watch it now.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I just want to share that in Oklahoma there is a local female worker named Bitch The Clown.

Bitch the Clown.

That is all.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Gaea Girls is pretty good and is a pretty good one about a bunch of GAEA trainees and also some stuff on Chigusa and her feud at the time with Lioness Asuka. If you've ever seen the clip of Meiko Satomura dropkicking a rookie's (Saika Takeuchi) head off, it's from that. Should be easily available on youtube as well.

beaverseatwood
Apr 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Octagon was probably the biggest star in Mexico in the 90s . Why wasn't he ever in WCW?

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

beaverseatwood posted:

Octagon was probably the biggest star in Mexico in the 90s

What?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octagon_(wrestler)

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
They really missed the boat on naming his midget sidekick Quadrilateral.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
WWE's Brian Pillman documentary is also a good watch.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I know who he is. It doesn't say anywhere on the Wiki page that he was the biggest star of the nineties.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Might have something to do with being 35 at the time, not being particularly good in the ring (he has very little to do with Gringos Locos vs Octagon/Santo being a ***** match), and potentially not speaking english (some or even most may not have either, but were spectacular enough for it to not matter or were friends with Konnan). Plus, Konnan brokered the deal, and if he and Konann weren't friends or had beef, he wouldn't have tried to include him in the deal.

Interesting fact: Among WCW barss, supposedly the feeling was that Lizmark Jr. and Juvi would be the breakout guys from those were brought over. They were half-right, sorta.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Interesting fact: Among WCW barss, supposedly the feeling was that Lizmark Jr. and Juvi would be the breakout guys from those were brought over. They were half-right, sorta.

Lizmark Jr. was pretty tall compared to most of them and only like 25. I know they really liked Hector Garza too (he has a win over Scott Hall).

Juvi was legit the best out of the group back then but Rey surpassed him in the years to follow. Plus Juvi was loving crazy. I actually considered it a good thing they took his mask off as opposed to Psychosis or Rey Jr.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

Herr Direktor posted:

There's an episode of Louis Theroux's Weird Weekend where he goes to the WCW Power Plant - that's a pretty fun doco for an outsider's perspective on wrestling.

Here it is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbf1jt9anM

Raven: Didn't you do any research before you started this endeavour?
Louis: No

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
"I'm gonna kick the crap out of Scott Steiner!"

:stare:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That is so fascinating how that they are all supposedly extroverted superstars, but none of them want a camera in their face.

edit: That's Nitro on the way down, right? Which makes it a bit sad in hindsight.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 4, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wasn't Steven Regal still in WCW at this point? I'm surprised he wouldn't get involved with a Theroux interview, he'd be one of the few people at that point that would have heard of Louis.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was broadcast in July 99, so at the time it was recorded Regal was probably still in WWF/rehab.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The other thing to remember about this episode is that when it was in preproduction WCW was the number one promotion in the US, and the front office was more than happy to have him involved. He's later said that he noticed a big shift in attitude when it came to filming, because there was a sense that the company was on the decline.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Skinty McEdger posted:

The other thing to remember about this episode is that when it was in preproduction WCW was the number one promotion in the US, and the front office was more than happy to have him involved. He's later said that he noticed a big shift in attitude when it came to filming, because there was a sense that the company was on the decline.

He was still quite respectable and seemed to put them over well. I loved them cutting old promos. Miss those.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
That indy wrestler who has a day-job pairing socks where he passes his time 'thinking about wrestling' is so sweet.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Were there any real names at the Powerplant there? I only recognized Chuck Palumbo.

fake edit: I'm very loosely using the term "real names" here.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Kwee-Wee/Angry Alan Funk is in it at around 33:15

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Chuck Palumbo and Elix Skipper was there as well.

Sarge is a loving rear end in a top hat who didn't show anything about understanding wrestling. He only knew how to work people out. Not allowing Louis to have any water was just dangerous.

But that's why Bret eventually stopped blaming Goldberg and went to blaming WCW Power Plant.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
From all accounts the Power Plant was all about physical/endurance training and not so much about the in-ring training.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be the worlds worst wrestler. I just know someone would do something and I'd tell them to kiss my rear end.

Then I'd never get work.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Batista was told he would never make it in the wrestling business by Wayne DeBruce because he couldn't keep up in the Power Plant.

People there probably learned way more from Pez Whatley. Three cheers for Pistol Pez :unsmith:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MrBling posted:

From all accounts the Power Plant was all about physical/endurance training and not so much about the in-ring training.

Goldberg has gone on the record saying his training at the Power Plant was far more brutal than any football training he's ever gone through.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

This one time he wrestled Undertaker and Taker hit him with the Last Ride. Val did this really dorky sell where he laid on his shoulders with his legs sticking straight in the air for about five seconds. I think Taker had to roll him back down to pin him. There's no point to this, I just remember that whenever someone mentions Val Venis.

A page old but here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKFYtcNEl7k&t=405s

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Biker Taker was so freaking lame. It should have led to a mid-life crisis gimmick

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Chuck Palumbo and Elix Skipper was there as well.

Sarge is a loving rear end in a top hat who didn't show anything about understanding wrestling. He only knew how to work people out. Not allowing Louis to have any water was just dangerous.

But that's why Bret eventually stopped blaming Goldberg and went to blaming WCW Power Plant.

Yeah, the Power Plant was trying to recreate Verne Gagne's training camp, only Verne was actually a good wrestler who could teach guys how to work and all the WCW trainers were lovely job guys with axes to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shadalator posted:

Biker Taker was so freaking lame. It should have led to a mid-life crisis gimmick

...That's pretty much exactly what it was.