Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pugnax posted:

Anyone reading The Unwritten? I just cracked open #40 and feel like I haven't the faintest loving clue what is going on. Was there a 39a or something?

Not that I know of, and the XXa issues didn't link directly to the main story anyway. I'd have to dig them out to find out what you mean, though; #42 is out next week, so it's been two months since I read #40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I actually meant 41. :smithicide: Oops.

But seriously what the gently caress? There was no connection from the end of 40 to the beginning of 41, and 41 was full of batshit drama. I really liked 41 but seriously, what happened with the unicorn and the aussie cop? I guess we'll find out next week.

AntiqueCowboy
Jul 31, 2005
Okay punk, listen up. I don't like your face. That's not a good thing.
So what was the general consensus for Spaceman? The collected version is coming out soon and I'm thinking about picking it up. I've only read the preview that was in some anthology way back and found it to be kinda clunky.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

AntiqueCowboy posted:

So what was the general consensus for Spaceman? The collected version is coming out soon and I'm thinking about picking it up. I've only read the preview that was in some anthology way back and found it to be kinda clunky.

If you take the time to learn the language, it's a pretty good read but the language is a HUGE barrier.

Risso is at the top of his game on art though.

AntiqueCowboy
Jul 31, 2005
Okay punk, listen up. I don't like your face. That's not a good thing.

RevKrule posted:

If you take the time to learn the language, it's a pretty good read but the language is a HUGE barrier.

Risso is at the top of his game on art though.

Yeah that's what I was kind of afraid of. I enjoy Azzarello but I already think his dialogue is awkward at times. Thanks for the input.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think I read three or four issues before I got bored with it and stopped picking it up. The language really isn't too hard to understand.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I honestly have no idea what happened in the last issue of Spaceman nor do I know what the point of the story was. I found it impenetrable in a lot of ways, and weirdly enough the language was not one of them.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How and why is Transmetropolitan not available in hardcover? I'm rereading it and honestly it's up there with Sandman and Watchmen in quality, and those both have nice hardcovers.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 4, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedIcon posted:

How and why is Transmetropolitan not available in hardcover?

DC trade department is run by retarded monkey.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bobkatt013 posted:

DC trade department is run by retarded monkey.

I wish this wasn't the case. I would replace my Transmet trades with hardcovers or absolutes without even thinking about it. I'd also love to get my hands on Lucifer in hardcover. They just really don't want my money.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Len posted:

I wish this wasn't the case. I would replace my Transmet trades with hardcovers or absolutes without even thinking about it. I'd also love to get my hands on Lucifer in hardcover. They just really don't want my money.

I would like to have Shade and Hellblazer in Hardcover instead I had to buy singles and other trades.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

bobkatt013 posted:

I would like to have Shade and Hellblazer in Hardcover instead I had to buy singles and other trades.

I would settle for the rest of the Shade paperbacks.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah. I really don't like how they started that and just straight up stopped. It is the worst.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I just said gently caress it and bought the rest of the singles. It was worth it as Shade is awesome.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Hold out hope; we finally got the second Hard Times TPB just recently, and that seemed to be doomed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hardback Hellblazer would be amazing, but that is already what, a twenty-five year monthly run? It'd need its own shelf.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ Try collecting Judge Dredd. 19 volumes so far, and that's still just the first 15 years. If they collected everything to date right now it'd come to 60 volumes.

Len posted:

Now they've run out of extra Sandman stories to recycle, I hope they move on to Lucifer. I have original issues apart from the first three trades (and Devil in the Gateway is signed by Mike, Chris Weston and James Hodgkins), but I'd still upgrade to four volumes of Absolute Lucifer. In a red binding to match the Absolute Sandman volumes, please.

The only other Absolutes I'd buy would be Absolute Unwritten - those blog/web pages have real content, but they're a bit of an eyestrain to read.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 4, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OH gently caress YOU DC gently caress YOU UP YOUR FUCKEN rear end
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/constantine-relaunch-dc-comics.html

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Present day DC is the worst. No, really.

:smith:

Still, it was one hell of a run, all things considered. Let's hear it for the best bastard in comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Present day DC is the worst. No, really.

:smith:

Still, it was one hell of a run, all things considered. Let's hear it for the best bastard in comics.

Hellblazer was the only DC title that I really followed so after it ends I will be a complete Marvel Zombie and also Hellboy Universe reader. Good thing I will have every issue and will have no need to buy any Hellblazer or Shade trades.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

Hellblazer is actually legitimately getting rereleased in trades, there's actually solicits for future volumes and one of them even comes out next week!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

OH gently caress YOU DC gently caress YOU UP YOUR FUCKEN rear end
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/constantine-relaunch-dc-comics.html

NO

NO gently caress YOU

gently caress YOU DC YOU loving FUCKS

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Hellblazer is actually legitimately getting rereleased in trades, there's actually solicits for future volumes and one of them even comes out next week!

It is just a rerelease of Family Man. They say lots of titles will be rereleased but they never are. I wonder if this annoncement will make it so they will stop releasing them

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
To be honest, it seems like they're trying to save Vertigo for stuff that's outside the main DCU and reintegrate all the stuff they can, since mature content isn't really noteworthy enough in comics to warrant exiling things from continuity anymore.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Hellblazer ending isn't a bad thing. The relaunch is.

Come on Hellblazer's been running for almost 25 years, it's said everything it's going to say.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Hellblazer ending isn't a bad thing. The relaunch is.

Come on Hellblazer's been running for almost 25 years, it's said everything it's going to say.

hat is not true. There is a lot of talent that could be given the title and continue to write awesome runs.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dickeye posted:

Are there trades for the Ennis stories between Dangerous Habits and Fear & Loathing in the works or just more recent collections? I really would love to read them as I was never able to track down issues from that period (earliest back mine went was the one where he places the ward on Chantinelle).

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Nail Rat posted:

I guess it's time to just pack up comics and call it a day, because stuff like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, etc. has been running for way over 25 years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Are there trades for the Ennis stories between Dangerous Habits and Fear & Loathing in the works or just more recent collections? I really would love to read them as I was never able to track down issues from that period (earliest back mine went was the one where he places the ward on Chantinelle).

That would be the trade Bloodlines. It is issues 47-50, 52-55 and 59-61. 51 is written by another author and then 56 is in rare cuts and 57-58 are uncollected. The next trade coming up is 35-46 and that might come out next year.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Thanks, Bob, you're a gent.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
This really is the saddest day. Hellblazer and John have been my constant companions and my constant go to title since I first got into comics 12 years ago. I don't know what to say. I guess I should just finish up buying the Milligan trades and then, I don't know, cry or something. That DCU title doesn't fill me with confidence, I'd love to be wrong, but drat. drat.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
I assumed there would be a shakeup at 300 but I just thought Milligan was ending his run. Not like this though... :negative:.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

This really is the saddest day. Hellblazer and John have been my constant companions and my constant go to title since I first got into comics 12 years ago. I don't know what to say. I guess I should just finish up buying the Milligan trades and then, I don't know, cry or something. That DCU title doesn't fill me with confidence, I'd love to be wrong, but drat. drat.

I can sort of understand the reasoning. John Constantine is one of the few characters in Big Two comics who ages in real time, and on May 7th he'll be 60. It can't go on much longer without turning into a Punisher MAX-style thing where you have to question it when the central character's age doesn't seem to restrict his activities. Picking a double milestone (300 issues, 25 years) to end the run and reboot is as good a place as any.

Also, I can't believe it's been twenty loving years since the Ennis run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

I can sort of understand the reasoning. John Constantine is one of the few characters in Big Two comics who ages in real time, and on May 7th he'll be 60. It can't go on much longer without turning into a Punisher MAX-style thing where you have to question it when the central character's age doesn't seem to restrict his activities. Picking a double milestone (300 issues, 25 years) to end the run and reboot is as good a place as any.

To be honest he is only 20 years due to Ennis's run plus demon blood

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The difference being that John is a mystical character and hand-waving his aging away with magic would get far less groans than with any other characters. Especially seeing as how this is a guy who tricked a loving demon into getting rid of his cancer.

That being said, for a mystical character, John's story arcs have had remarkably little bullshit compared to say, non-mystical characters like Spider-Man. Especially considering how long he's been around.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 8, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The difference being that John is a mystical character and hand-waving his aging away with magic would get far less groans than with any other characters. Especially seeing as how this is a guy who tricked a loving demon into getting rid of his cancer.

And said demon later put it back again. Ellie might have fixed it afterwards, but it's safe to say the First of the Fallen undid all the repairs he'd made and she had no reason to do them all again.

Mike Carey told me more than ten years ago that John's age was starting to get handwaved already, which was annoying as Gemma and Cheryl continued to age normally.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I've been sad all day and wanted to maybe talk about some of our favorite moments?

- John's birthday party were Swamp Thing makes some pot for them to smoke.
- That time John helped his friend Brendan Finn no matter the consequences.
- The issue where John uses all the ghosts from the river (or was it a hopsital?) to stop the demons chasing him.

I've got a lot more but I was thinking it might be time for a little re-reading first.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

WickedIcon posted:

To be honest, it seems like they're trying to save Vertigo for stuff that's outside the main DCU and reintegrate all the stuff they can, since mature content isn't really noteworthy enough in comics to warrant exiling things from continuity anymore.

Is Karen Berger even editing the new Constantine book? If not, we can expect a lot of editorially driven Trinity War setup.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Time for me to try and make the internet chose for me.

So, I have the first 2 collected versions of preacher, and the first collected edition of saga. I have already read preacher about 4 years ago, so my question is, should I consume preacher first or should I be reading saga as soon as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true. There is a lot of talent that could be given the title and continue to write awesome runs.

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Jedit posted:

When I got into comics Hellblazer was one of my first titles. The fact the he has aged in real time, been outside the normal DC Universe BS, and dark enough to the point that it would make you put down the comic and sit in a corner shuddering makes it a special comic. A PG version will not cut it.

Hellblazer was beautifully written and crafted. His character has no right being in the DC Universe as his enemies were not of the typical sort.

It is just wrong and there is no way you can go back. It just becomes another comic now. Nothing special.

I think because John actually aged you could identify with him and draw a closer tie to the character.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 8, 2012

• Locked thread