Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Due to a screwup with my BR player's Netflix interface I actually found a temporary placeholder title. The "Cover Art" was just the Netflix logo, the title was something like "Sample Series Episode En:USA" etc., the description was "This is the description of the title, etc.", and best of all, it could actually be played- it was footage of clouds going by in time-lapse followed by video of a fountain. It was pretty Zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I agree in terms of the relentless dreariness, but I can't think of a dreary Korean film I've watched that wasn't a crime thriller, and I think the dreariness works in their favor in those cases. The only Korean film I've watched that wasn't a lurid meditation on violent crime was The Good, the Bad, the Weird, which was still about violent crime but was funnier I guess. I don't know, I wasn't as taken with that one as every one else here was.

^^yeah

Check out "The Host", it's got it's share of depressing and dreary, but it's also a pretty funny take on the "Monster Rises from Sea to Cause Havoc" movie.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Check out "The Host", it's got it's share of depressing and dreary, but it's also a pretty funny take on the "Monster Rises from Sea to Cause Havoc" movie.

Yeah I actually watched that a while ago, it just slipped my mind, though I really liked it. I also watched Thirst today, which I though was great. I enjoyed it far more than I would have imagined myself enjoying a vampire love story. I would say it's because he focused on making the love story interesting rather than the vampire part, but poo poo, the vampire part was cool and original too. My man Park Chan-Wook knows what's up.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Yeah I actually watched that a while ago, it just slipped my mind, though I really liked it. I also watched Thirst today, which I though was great. I enjoyed it far more than I would have imagined myself enjoying a vampire love story. I would say it's because he focused on making the love story interesting rather than the vampire part, but poo poo, the vampire part was cool and original too. My man Park Chan-Wook knows what's up.

That's why I love this movie and always recommend it. I guess it's a real love it or hate it kind of thing, because the wife hates it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

I agree in terms of the relentless dreariness, but I can't think of a dreary Korean film I've watched that wasn't a crime thriller, and I think the dreariness works in their favor in those cases. The only Korean film I've watched that wasn't a lurid meditation on violent crime was The Good, the Bad, the Weird, which was still about violent crime but was funnier I guess. I don't know, I wasn't as taken with that one as every one else here was.
Yeah, the problem is that it seems like dark crime thrillers are almost everything they make (or at least that's all we get over here). I just know that I didn't enjoy Oldboy or The Yellow Sea even close to how much people talk about them, and I had to abort my watching of Thirst and I Saw The Devil because of how aggressively unpleasant they felt to me and I've been turned off of trying anything else ever since.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I like the dreariness. Im also a fan of movies that have a big emotional punch. If a movie can make me feel like I just got socked in the gut, I genuinely like it.

**edit - Watch "Castaway on the Moon" - not dreary, very awesome.

It's kind of weird that the only counter to "Korean cinema is pretty dreary" is a film which has a plot synopsis that starts with "A failed suicide attempt" :shobon:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If not dreary crime dramas, then really raunchy romance films with drawn out sex scenes that would make HBO blush.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Korean films seem to always have a lot of pointless scenes, or a really... disconnected feel. Like it's just a series of events strung together and nobody ever thinks about tightening things up to keep things flowing.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
That's kind of the allure I think... It's like back when I was 15 and thought I was this Jean Paul Sartre or Camus kind of existentialist where there's just poo poo happening, doesn't really matter. Sometimes I still enjoy movies like that, as long as it's aesthetically pleasing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

casa de mi padre posted:

Korean films seem to always have a lot of pointless scenes, or a really... disconnected feel.

That's 3-Iron down to a T. It's an almost completely dialogue-less movie about a disaffected man experiencing other people's lives by breaking into their houses. The same director did The Island, where things actually happen. Really unpleasant and uncomfortable things, sure, but things nonetheless.

For the record, I actually enjoyed 3-Iron more.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie is up, and it's pretty watchable disposable horror-anthology junk, if you're into that kind of thing. Disclaimer: it does not use the creepy opening title sequence from the TV series. But you do get Steve Buscemi playing a college kid, so there's that.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

kuddles posted:

Yeah, the problem is that it seems like dark crime thrillers are almost everything they make (or at least that's all we get over here). I just know that I didn't enjoy Oldboy or The Yellow Sea even close to how much people talk about them, and I had to abort my watching of Thirst and I Saw The Devil because of how aggressively unpleasant they felt to me and I've been turned off of trying anything else ever since.
I lived in Korea for a few years and I can tell you that they actually make a crapload of all sorts of movies, from slapstick comedy to traditional popcorn action to romantic movies and everything else you'd expect. And the other (ie normal) kinds of movies are actually much MUCH more popular among Koreans in Korea. It's just that for whatever reason, the darkly violent and depressing ones are the only genre that gets exported consistently. No idea why.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie is up, and it's pretty watchable disposable horror-anthology junk, if you're into that kind of thing. Disclaimer: it does not use the creepy opening title sequence from the TV series. But you do get Steve Buscemi playing a college kid, so there's that.

it's been a while since I've watched a horror anthology so thanks for the heads up.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
American Scream is up, which is a documentary made by the director of Best Worst Movie about people who make crazy detailed Haunted Houses in their homes on Halloween.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Roomate wants to watch an interesting horror film, anything fit the bill on Netflix presently?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Revener posted:

Roomate wants to watch an interesting horror film, anything fit the bill on Netflix presently?

Pontypool if he/she wants something unconventional; screw the haters, I like the second act.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Revener posted:

Tell me what they consider interesting and I'll give you a recommendation. You might also think of checking out the 2012 October Horror Movie a Day thread, which has a lot of good recommendations that I've been drawing from over the past month.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Maxwell Lord posted:

Due to a screwup with my BR player's Netflix interface I actually found a temporary placeholder title. The "Cover Art" was just the Netflix logo, the title was something like "Sample Series Episode En:USA" etc., the description was "This is the description of the title, etc.", and best of all, it could actually be played- it was footage of clouds going by in time-lapse followed by video of a fountain. It was pretty Zen.

did you watch the whole thing? It gets kinda weird and funny when the dude shows up and starts talking

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

vmdvr posted:

I lived in Korea for a few years and I can tell you that they actually make a crapload of all sorts of movies, from slapstick comedy to traditional popcorn action to romantic movies and everything else you'd expect. And the other (ie normal) kinds of movies are actually much MUCH more popular among Koreans in Korea. It's just that for whatever reason, the darkly violent and depressing ones are the only genre that gets exported consistently. No idea why.
Korean pop culture has been exploding in the last 10-20 years, and seems to have created a climate that's perfect for young filmmakers who are doing really interesting genre work. My speculative theory is that a lot of the movies we see that make it overseas are the ones that catch the eye of international distributors, and those tend to be the darker and more horror-slanted films like those released under companies like Palisades Tartan's "Asia Extreme" (I kinda hate that label but there are some really interesting films in there). And part of the reason for a lot of this, I believe, is the surge in the popularity of Asian horror movies that really jumped off with the success of The Ring remake.

This is just speculation though, please correct me on anything I got wrong here.

kuddles posted:

A lot of the comedies are very lighthearted and goofy. One I've liked recently that's on Netflix is called "Going by the Book", check that out for something different.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

vmdvr posted:

Similar to the international market for Japanese movies, like the stuff from Takashi Miike. Its that "crazy foreign poo poo" that gets all the attention. But it's not all doom and gloom. Arahan, Castaway on the Moon, Sunny, Le Grande Chef 2: Kimchi Battle, My Tutor Friend 2, and Daddy are a few Korean movies the wife and I enjoyed on Netflix streaming that really had a style distinct from American cinema. Hell, even the sappy romantic comedy ones I listed were enjoyable compared to similar American flicks.

Sure they're not as popular but there definitely distinct in their style. If I had to pick one word to describe the distinction it would be "introspective".

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

big business sloth posted:

did you watch the whole thing? It gets kinda weird and funny when the dude shows up and starts talking

I ran across that video on accident and it was one of the most surreal things I've experienced.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Troposphere posted:

I ran across that video on accident and it was one of the most surreal things I've experienced.

Any chance you could post a link to it or enough info to help search it out?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Ratatozsk posted:

Any chance you could post a link to it or enough info to help search it out?

Example ATT Movie en-US

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

This is actually more unsettling than the movie I just watched - House of the Devil.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

origami posted:

This is actually more unsettling than the movie I just watched - House of the Devil.

There's something very Lynchian about the way the guy goes into a whole passionate Shakespeare monologue and then, unblinking, follows it up with a deadly serious string of random mouth sounds - don't forget the laptop moonwalking scene that will leave you breathless.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I LOVE the fact that you just spoiler tagged whatever it is that this video is.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

This is the strangest loving thing I have ever seen.

Edit: Am I going to die in 7 days now?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The reviews are pretty good reading too.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Thank you, Netflix, for recommending "Fireplace: Your Home Companion". I don't know that it'll be able to achieve the same ominous tone, though.

Nothing would make me happier than if Netflix just kept churning out surrealist test videos in the background, with one surfacing every now and then to both calm and unnerve.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Aorist posted:

Thank you, Netflix, for recommending "Fireplace: Your Home Companion". I don't know that it'll be able to achieve the same ominous tone, though.

I appreciate that Fireplace has closed captions available. I'm not sure if these change for the version with holiday music, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Trees Lounge is back on Netflix Streaming, woot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm watching this one show called Fatso.

I don't usually watch european poo poo but it's pretty decent so far. Subtitles seem hosed up though.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't usually watch european poo poo but it's pretty decent so far. Subtitles seem hosed up though.

I was kinda sleepy the other day but I tried watching. Subtitles are hosed and the movie just stops. Checked the run time and it was 58 minutes, so somehow they only put up part of the movie.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I was kinda sleepy the other day but I tried watching. Subtitles are hosed and the movie just stops. Checked the run time and it was 58 minutes, so somehow they only put up part of the movie.

Yep gently caress. I was really really enjoying this movie too.

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys
FYI...Bottle Rocket is up on instant. Its (to my knowledge) the first Wes Anderson film...and not at all similar to everything past Rushmore. The first time I watched it, I was pretty confused and bored. But once you know the plot and then can see all the nice little plot subtleties...its a pretty great film.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

X is a good movie too. I love the director's choice in cinematography.

Also:

Student Services

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 4, 2012

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

It's like a short film designed to make you take a piss.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I didn't even get subtitles. Which happens with a decent amount of Netflix stuff for me, really annoying since I watch a lot of foreign films.

And my queue has been bugging out lately, maybe it's the 300+ items I have in it... :v:

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Major content dump in the past couple of days. I'd recommend:

Tales from the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood Completely disposable trash, but there is something amusing about Dennis Miller just sauntering through a campy horror movie, delivering Miller-isms with panache. It's ridiculously obvious he wrote nearly all of his own dialogue. I know Miller is not to everyone's taste, but his smarm works here, I think.

The Boys From Brazil Nazi hunter Lawrence fuckin' Olivier chases down Doctor Mengele in a quasi sci-fi movie. Sounds awesome? It drat well is. Well worth watching.

Out of Sight Stellar Elmore Leonard crime thriller with Clooney. Possibly Jennifer Lopez's only great movie.

Stay the gently caress away from Megan is Missing, a completely pointless, shrill, truly malevolent found footage movie about two abducted teenagers. It's like Hostel without anyone bothering to actually move the camera around. I can count on one hand the number of movies--out of thousands--I've wanted to turn off out of sheer disgust. This is numero uno. Completely without merit.

I added, sight unseen:

Fireball, a Thai movie about a violent, Rollerball-style future where basketball involves combat.

Red Scorpion, an apparently decent Dolph Lundgren movie.

Bay of Blood, a Mario Bava "classic." No idea what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
If you're looking for some true nostalgia, Netflix just uploaded Sesame Street Classics. Right now, it seems to only be episodes from the Sesame Street Old School Vol. 2 DVD which features episodes from the 1970's. Still, it's neat to see some classic SS episodes with Jim Henson present.

• Locked thread