Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Krysmphoenix posted:

Seconding these. The storylines in these games are not serious, but it's fun seeing them make fun of it. It's done by people who are good at the game and can explain what and why they do what they do.

Actually Paul's LP of the first is kind of done, he's just going through Advanced Campaign / gently caress You Hard Mode, and doing it with videos which...actually works surprisingly well.

One of the reasons they work well is that you really see his thinking process. Rather than "I need to be careful of this artillery" you get to see exactly how he checks everything, and contemplate his tactics. I wouldn't want to watch it for the main LP, but as bonus content, it works a lot better than I would have expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I was reading through Thuryl's old King's Bounty thread the other day. Are there any other LPs of army-centric turn-based strategy games similar to that one? I'd like to avoid Final Fantasy Tactics or other JRPG-related games if at all possible.

I keep looking for a Heroes of Might and Magic LP but it seems like no one every finished one? I find that strange.

I can say that HoMM is a very long game to LP - VI is the one of the shortest of the more recent lot, and even that will take a good 80+ hours to play through all the campaigns, not even talking about re-doing certain fights or anything. Doing a megagame like III or V could easily take a year if one doesn't pace themselves. The other part is that before V, it was all text on-screen, which doesn't exactly make up for very entertaining stuff, especially since you'd go through months in-game with nothing very interesting going on. So there's a fair amount of large-effort-low-output going on.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can say that HoMM is a very long game to LP - VI is the one of the shortest of the more recent lot, and even that will take a good 80+ hours to play through all the campaigns, not even talking about re-doing certain fights or anything. Doing a megagame like III or V could easily take a year if one doesn't pace themselves. The other part is that before V, it was all text on-screen, which doesn't exactly make up for very entertaining stuff, especially since you'd go through months in-game with nothing very interesting going on. So there's a fair amount of large-effort-low-output going on.

Maybe, but no more so than any of the multitude of extremely long JRPGs done (Final Fantasies, Tales, SMT, etc).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Is there an informative Dwarf Fortress LP? As far as I can tell the succession threads don't talk about the reasoning for what the player does and I have trouble following what's happening.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The Crash Bandicoot Series by JordanKai and Ikwaylx is a great watch if you enjoy amazing display of skill. JordanKai is incredibly good at Crash, and they're planning on doing the entire series, 100% and beyond.

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012
Can anyone recommend me a Fallout 2 LP, I already tried to search the forum but I didn't find any results. Preferably an informative and non-blind LP.

Thanks in advance!

Happyloony fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 29, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hebbe posted:

Can anyone recommend me a Fallout 2 VLP, I already tried to search the forum but I didn't find any results. Preferably an informative and non-blind LP.

Thanks in advance!

Well it ain't all that informative, but there is one in the archive. It's pretty funny, but actually knowing the game would probably help. The only other ones are abandoned and require archives. I can't attest to their quality.

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Well it ain't all that informative, but there is one in the archive. It's pretty funny, but actually knowing the game would probably help. The only other ones are abandoned and require archives. I can't attest to their quality.

Thanks, will check it out!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Kinda digging Hotel Dusk by Trampoline Tales. Worst I can say about it is that it could use some animated GIFs, but the OP showed us some video, so it's not a big loss.

I'm interested to see where the story's going. Update 1 is kinda ... meh, but 2-3 updates in, you wanna see where it goes.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

slowbeef posted:

Kinda digging Hotel Dusk by Trampoline Tales. Worst I can say about it is that it could use some animated GIFs, but the OP showed us some video, so it's not a big loss.

He did? I don't remember that.

Ed: Oh yeah, and you should all check out this LP.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is not the first time I have recommended Steins;Gate [sic], but damnit that thread needs more readers.

The game itself (a Japanese visual novel (the good kind)) is like a perfect storm of self-aware writing, brilliant characters (including - brace yourselves - the protagonist), hilarious pseudoscience (which nevertheless has an alarming amount of well researched basis, all things considered) and anime batshit bugfuck ridiculousness. Do you want to marvel at something? This game will give you something to marvel at. And speculate over. Oh yes.

The fact that the LP is (somehow) being updated daily helps, too. Hell, the thread could use more posters just to space out the updates.

Go and read it. You won't regret it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Honestly, the misuse of the semicolon in the title is what deterred me from reading the LP. I'm not saying that the LP is bad, but that the game title annoys the loving poo poo out of me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steins:Gate is an LP I want to check out, but daily updates make me burn out on LPs quickly so I'm waiting until it hits the archive.

Oh, and there's a new Short Game thread running in case you haven't noticed. Currently there's Mico doing Frog Fractions, Niggurath's done Slender and Captain Novalin has started Farming Simulator 2013.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Thank you for your input, valued Something Awful forums poster Azure_Horizon. Your opinion is very important to us.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Azure_Horizon posted:

Honestly, the misuse of the semicolon in the title is what deterred me from reading the LP. I'm not saying that the LP is bad, but that the game title annoys the loving poo poo out of me.
It's just the theme that the visual novels have in that series, much like the painfully named ChäoS;HEAd

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

It's just the theme that the visual novels have in that series, much like the painfully named ChäoS;HEAd

Shut up, you're kidding about that name.

...Wow, Google says you're not. That's ridiculous.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Niggurath posted:

That's a theme that should be taken out and shot.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Niggurath posted:

I didn't believe you either, until I google'd it. You learn something new every day, I guess!

I've been meaning to catch up on the Steins Gate LP ever since it started. It's great that they're updating on an almost-daily basis, but it's too bad that there are so many updates crammed into a single page. It can get kind of overwhelming.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

I didn't believe you either, until I google'd it. You learn something new every day, I guess!

I've been meaning to catch up on the Steins Gate LP ever since it started. It's great that they're updating on an almost-daily basis, but it's too bad that there are so many updates crammed into a single page. It can get kind of overwhelming.

It looks like you can click on the table of contents and get each one on its own page through some sort of dark magic.

I'm gonna be checking it out shortly myself.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Shut up, you're kidding about that name.

...Wow, Google says you're not. That's ridiculous.

Yup. It's a pretty awesome VN, though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Even though Halloween spooky time is over, I'd still like to recommend Niggurath's Kuon LP.

The game has a good atmosphere and is creepy, while Rathy does a good job with his low key commentary, really letting the sounds and visuals do their work. His voice is quiet enough to where you can get into the game, but you don't forget he's there. I kind of get this sense that he's just guiding me through this journey.

He seems to be covering everything the game has to offer, too, putting up two videos per update, with that same Niggurath quality we've all come to know and love. I'm just feeling sad that this thread isn't getting the attention it should be, since it really is a great thread.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is there an informative Dwarf Fortress LP? As far as I can tell the succession threads don't talk about the reasoning for what the player does and I have trouble following what's happening.

51ppycup had one on the forums years ago. It taught me how to play Dwarf Fortress. I didn't find the thread, but I found his youtube playlist with the videos

Of course, that's of an outdated version. Apparently he made a new LP that he never posted here, so I never watched it and can't attest to it.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Not quite a recommendation but a request, but a tragedy has happened.

:frogsiren:The Peggle Let's Play by Clownbirth has died!:frogsiren:

If anyone has backups and can reupload them somewhere, or at the very least a backup of the seventh video, they really aught to get those posted. That poo poo is too amazing to lose to the sands of time :(

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
If you like Killer 7 (LPed by Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus) James Howell, the guy who wrote the plot analysis of the game, is doing a(n informative) weekly playthrough on Youtube with some fellas.

The quality of the streaming is lacking, the audio has a few issues every now and then, no editing, some episodes are 1 hour long some 5 minutes and they assume their audience have already played the game: I'd recommend to first watch the archived LP and then watch this (they don't explain poo poo and talk about the game in general).

Thread on Selectbutton
Youtube channel

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Paper Lion posted:

Not quite a recommendation but a request, but a tragedy has happened.

:frogsiren:The Peggle Let's Play by Clownbirth has died!:frogsiren:

If anyone has backups and can reupload them somewhere, or at the very least a backup of the seventh video, they really aught to get those posted. That poo poo is too amazing to lose to the sands of time :(

I still have a copy of the last video somewhere. I'll throw it up on blip if someone hasn't already.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

So I am looking for some "chill" LP's to watch when I am home from work and want to relax, perhaps smoke a weed. Can anyone recommend me some video LP's that work along these lines? psymonkey's LP of Kirby's Dream Course is perhaps my favorite to perform this activity with, but he has not LP'd in some time and I am looking for some new material! Okay great thanks.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Gothy McAngstydie posted:

So I am looking for some "chill" LP's to watch when I am home from work and want to relax, perhaps smoke a weed. Can anyone recommend me some video LP's that work along these lines? psymonkey's LP of Kirby's Dream Course is perhaps my favorite to perform this activity with, but he has not LP'd in some time and I am looking for some new material! Okay great thanks.
Silver Falcon's Okami LP is incredibly chill. Even the parts where there's combat are pretty chill. The game also has soothing music and pretty art to absorb while you're watching.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Suspicious Dish's lp of De Blob is pretty drat chill.
For more soothing kind of lp, try Bobbin Threadbare's Thief lps.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It's been mentioned in this thread a ton of times before, but for anyone who has been holding off on reading Dangan Ronpa because they don't want to wait on an update schedule, it's just finished.

The OP still has some easter eggs and extra content from earlier in the game left to translate, but the main game is done and the credits have rolled.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The FamousGhosts guys did a Super Mario 64 LP a while back that I was a huge fan of because it was so chill. I don't think it ever went to the LP Archive but you can still find a playlist on their YouTube page.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Squint's Demon's Souls is incredibly chill, and I've fallen asleep to it a few times.

Bonus points for the punchyfist run, too.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

CannibalK9's The Void is the pinnacle of a chill LP, for one of the best games ever made.

psymonkey still LPs on Youtube.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Kirby's Epic Yarn by Medibot and Kaz is one of the chillest LP's on the internet. The game is chill, the music is chill, and the commentators are chill.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Seconding this. I just started rewatching the videos myself and they're perfect for drifting off to sleep to (in addition to being drat good games played by someone competent at them, and hilarious when he's not).

Someone also mentioned medibot's LP of Epic Yarn, but his runthrough of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards is really chill too.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Azure_Horizon posted:

CannibalK9's The Void is the pinnacle of a chill LP, for one of the best games ever made.

I would debate you on that, because watching that LP was the closest I've ever come to an existential crisis.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

BlueArmyMan posted:

I would debate you on that, because watching that LP was the closest I've ever come to an existential crisis.

There is no death in the Void.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Luquos posted:

Squint's Demon's Souls is incredibly chill, and I've fallen asleep to it a few times.

Bonus points for the punchyfist run, too.

This is one of my favorites. Squint pretty much never raises his voice very much, never gets worked up, and just generally knows what he's talking about. The definition of "chill".

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Sylphid posted:

This is one of my favorites. Squint pretty much never raises his voice very much, never gets worked up, and just generally knows what he's talking about. The definition of "chill".

Just watch out for that one screamer in the marked video.

Another exceptionally good LP is James 315's Battlefield 1942 Multiplayer LP. Especially considering it's a multiplayer game, he does an exceptional job of introducing all the mechanics at a reasonable pace. He covers tactics, strategy and recaps what went right/wrong really well at the end of each match.

His commentary is very calm, and all together, it's an extremely engaging LP. On a random note, his was the only LP I've watched where I've wondered whether it was live or post commentary.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

There is no death in the Void.

Don't fear death.

You know, I have to say this about The Void: it really says a lot that so many people (myself included) love it for what it is and the meanings and the excellent LP of it and no one even mentions that it's chuck goddamn full of tits and rear end. When boobs aren't even worth mentioning, you know it's got to be a strong, impactful game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

unpronounceable posted:

On a random note, his was the only LP I've watched where I've wondered whether it was live or post commentary.

In Olive Branch's Need for Speed lp, I asked which he was doing, cause it all sounded like post commentary. I literally couldn't tell he was doing it live until he said so in one of his later videos.

• Locked thread