Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TaurusOxford posted:

Yes, cause heaven forbid if we don't make every game easy and braindead enough for your mother to play.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Since games don't necessarily need to suffer reduced depth of mechanics or amount of content in order to broaden their appeal, I'm usually the first person to criticise people who fret needlessly about "casualisation" of games resulting in a weaker overall experience. That said, this is the first time I have ever seen someone actually advocating for that to happen. :psyduck:

I'm not calling for some casual transformation (though I'm not afraid of it), but saying that they hit the complexity curve about right in the first game. There could be a little more depth than four cars and a bunch of drones, but it was approachable to the everyman in varying degrees without demanding you dedicate your life to it like a fighting game would. The more content you make that you have to be really, really dedicated to see; the less of your customers will ever see it. And yet it takes as much time to develop as the easier stuff.

MMOs face this same dilemma: It doesn't make sense for Blizzard to make an interactive spectacle boss with voice acting and cinematics for only the best 10 WoW guilds in the land. You can have an F-Zero with difficult modes but not have it designed like GX where many people felt taken advantage of that the game showed them very little since it demanded more from it than they were going to be able to give.

I maybe couldn't finish King Mode or whatever the hardest SNES tier was called, but I could get to the third level or so and the ramp up was about perfect. And furthermore, F-Zero really is the kind of game where it's fun to just sit back and drive very fast with people for a bit.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any word yet on what Atlus, Aksys, or NIS are going to release for the Wii-U?

I mean the system seems like it would be ideal to bring a console remake of 999 or Zero Escape to the system ala Trauma Center. The Wii itself had ye olden point and click style adventure games like Broken Sword, Sam and Max seasons 1 and 2, Trauma Center, Trauma Center: New Blood, and Trauma Team. Visual novels are just a step or so below that territory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not calling for some casual transformation (though I'm not afraid of it), but saying that they hit the complexity curve about right in the first game. There could be a little more depth than four cars and a bunch of drones, but it was approachable to the everyman in varying degrees without demanding you dedicate your life to it like a fighting game would. The more content you make that you have to be really, really dedicated to see; the less of your customers will ever see it. And yet it takes as much time to develop as the easier stuff.

MMOs face this same dilemma: It doesn't make sense for Blizzard to make an interactive spectacle boss with voice acting and cinematics for only the best 10 WoW guilds in the land. You can have an F-Zero with difficult modes but not have it designed like GX where many people felt taken advantage of that the game showed them very little since it demanded more from it than they were going to be able to give.

I maybe couldn't finish King Mode or whatever the hardest SNES tier was called, but I could get to the third level or so and the ramp up was about perfect. And furthermore, F-Zero really is the kind of game where it's fun to just sit back and drive very fast with people for a bit.

An occasional game that requires challenge is a good thing though. Especially when the difficulty is (mostly) balanced toward skill rather than bullshit. Cutting it down to a general bare-bones :effort: game designed for everyone means it just gets lost in the crowd and generally forgotten for a lack of identity. Tossing in dozens of vehicles, a custom vehicle builder atop those, story mode, and a good 32 courses means you have a deep rewarding game that people remember over time. To bring up WoW, things like the cinematics make perfect sense - they're the reward for the raid's effort. If there wasn't anything that only they would earn, they wouldn't make the attempt.

To get off this tangent, has there been any mention on what the Wonderful 101's release date is?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Arthe Xavier posted:

Of course I'd be excited about a new F-Zero game, Mr. Miaymoto, as F-Zero GX was one of my favorite ( and most played ) GameCube -games. Sure, it was difficult as hell, but also rewarding and full of content. It used to look eye-meltingly amazing, too.
It still holds up pretty drat well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

japtor posted:

It still holds up pretty drat well.

On a whim I just went and checked to see if it supported widescreen mode. I think I may have to fire it up on my Wii in the near future (Got the component cable for it) and whack some drivers off of Trident.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On a whim I just went and checked to see if it supported widescreen mode. I think I may have to fire it up on my Wii in the near future (Got the component cable for it) and whack some drivers off of Trident.
If you have a fast enough computer maybe check out Dolphin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwENypwAkgY

(not sure why that guy didn't use widescreen though, pretty sure the game supports anamorphic)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Vaerai Archon posted:

I mean the system seems like it would be ideal to bring a console remake of 999 or Zero Escape

Yes, more remakes, gaming certainly suffers from a lack of those.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

japtor posted:

If you have a fast enough computer maybe check out Dolphin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwENypwAkgY

(not sure why that guy didn't use widescreen though, pretty sure the game supports anamorphic)

Dolphin's nice (and my computer's more than fast enough), but I've got a Wii with RGB video and a 32-inch TV. It's gonna look gorgeous either way.

edit: actually, on a similar topic I'm looking forward to seeing how Wii games look on the WiiU. Just to see if we get Dolphin-like quality with games like Xenoblade. I'm also really curious to see if playing on a WiiU kills The Last Story's framerate issues.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: actually, on a similar topic I'm looking forward to seeing how Wii games look on the WiiU.

Exactly the same. There's no upscaling.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Is there any word yet on what Atlus, Aksys, or NIS are going to release for the Wii-U?

Isn't Aksys just a localization company?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

TaurusOxford posted:

Exactly the same. There's no upscaling.

Which seems like a lost opportunity really. I wonder if this can be patched in later.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FlyingCheese posted:

Which seems like a lost opportunity really. I wonder if this can be patched in later.

If Nintendo couldn't be bothered to put it in the system from the start I can't see them adding it later.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

If Nintendo couldn't be bothered to put it in the system from the start I can't see them adding it later.

It's probably just to play it safe. If you try modifying the output, you just know there'll be one or two games that end up bugged to hell somehow.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

How about they're not doing it because someone did the math and the cost/benefit ratio was off (this also goes for F-Zero) . How about that instead of whatever reason you made up in your head?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

How about they're not doing it because someone did the math and the cost/benefit ratio was off (this also goes for F-Zero) . How about that instead of whatever reason you made up in your head?

Well, I mean, as long as they're maximizing profits I guess I'm ok with it then. Wait a second, what the gently caress am I talking about and when did I become a shareholder in Nintendo LLC or whatever? When did people start accepting poo poo from game companies and excusing it because "well it probably made financial sense for them." Jesus Christ.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It seems pretty reasonable to me. Especially when very very few players used their Wii in anything other than standard definition. Once the Wii U comes out, much like the Gamecube library's fate the only Wii games people will ever even acknowledge will be the great looking ones with Mario in the title.

The industry is hype, marketing, and licensing based rather than sales based, we can disagree with that all we want but the days of selling hardware at a pure profit are long gone (Nintendo was the last console maker to try this with the 3DS release, look at how that went). They have to cut costs somewhere and, frankly I'm shocked it even comes with an HDMI cable out of the box. If this were 1995 there'd be some $60 HDMI cable with a single different plastic notch on the end made "only" for Wii U/XBox 720/whatever.

In a perfect world, yes, the Wii U would have fully compatible upscaling for 100% of the Wii library or whatever, but the reality is that no one will care except for maybe one or two hundred people that, being avid gamers, are running their Wii games are Dolphin or whatever anyway.

kater: Agreed. I think a major effort has to be made to make everything as flexible as possible with the Pad. A lot of the stupid limitations on the Wii and what it could do, realistically, weren't really noticed by or relevant to the majority of Wii owners. As its life went on and the industry continued to change though even the most casual players were affected by the cracks in the system like the lack of DLC, etc. With the Wii U Nintendo has a system that, theoretically, can have current gen games, is powerful enough to look even better as developers get more accustomed to it, has all the casual stuff Nintendo is now famous for, etc. as long as its flexible to everyone's needs. They need to not blow it with this system in particular more than anything else they've ever done.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 4, 2012

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Not being able to play VC games on the pad is the far bigger crime.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Well, I mean, as long as they're maximizing profits I guess I'm ok with it then. Wait a second, what the gently caress am I talking about and when did I become a shareholder in Nintendo LLC or whatever? When did people start accepting poo poo from game companies and excusing it because "well it probably made financial sense for them." Jesus Christ.

It's not about "accepting poo poo", it about people forgetting time and time again that video games are a business. I am also not "excusing it", I am stating that it's much more likely that they didn't do it because I doesn't make financial sense than because of some technical issue that may or may not exist. Lastly, I would like to see Wii games upscaled as well but tough poo poo, it's not happening until they decide the investment is worth it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Well, here's some non-crazy reasons:

-Emulation, rather than a "Wii mode", would cause a ton of backwards compatibility issues, it would be very expensive and tons of work to get every Wii game in the library to work. A lot of PS2 and Xbox games do not work on their current gen editions, still, because they went with the emulation route.

-With emulation, I imagine the console would be able to do little more than smooth out visuals slightly and apply anti-aliasing. Rendering games at a higher resolution through sheer brute force, without any optimization, takes TONS of power. Just look at the kind of rig you'd need to run Dolphin at 1080p.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Vaerai Archon posted:

NIS have been sticking pretty religiously to Sony consoles for a while now, because that's where their audience is. And I'd doubt Atlus would move away from their mostly handheld-focused output, the only console game they developed this generation that I know of was Catherine.

Aksys are just a localisation studio, aren't they? Maybe if they see something worthwhile, not that it matters to me because the Wii U's region-locked. :argh:

kater posted:

Not being able to play VC games on the pad is the far bigger crime.

I hope they actually consider patching this in during a firmware update or something, because lying back in bed with Super Metroid or Castlevania III sounds absolutely heavenly.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

The Introvert posted:

I hope they actually consider patching this in during a firmware update or something, because lying back in bed with Super Metroid or Castlevania III sounds absolutely heavenly.

There has to be a Wii U version of the Virtual Console at some point. Then we can use the GamePad. I just don't know if they'd be easily able (or willing) to get such a system to recognise our previous Wii VC purchases for integration with the Wii U OS.

Hopefully we will also be able to transfer NES games to it from the 3DS.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok guys, you can put away all your fears about NSMBU now. The Forest of Illusion is back.

http://www.gamesradar.com/new-super-mario-bros-u-preview-8-ways-its-just-super-mario-world/

The game is basically New Super Mario World. Buy it if you weren't going to already.

EDIT: Here's a quote

quote:

The Forest of Illusion returns
NSMBU is the first Mario game ever to have a seamless, continuous world map, and that sprawling overworld is laid out similarly to the one in Super Mario World. The homages get much more overt in the shadowy midpoint of NSMBU’s fifth section. There you’ll find an extended riff on World’s Forest of Illusion, one of the trickier portions of that game. NSMBU’s forest has the same commitment to confusing the player with false exits and roads that go nowhere. NSMBU’s reference is made all the more direct by the fact that the screen pixelates when you enter the forest.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 4, 2012

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
Welp, that's me loving sold on that one. Now if only the music wasn't BAH BAH, then it'd be absolutely wonderful.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ok guys, you can put away all your fears about NSMBU now. The Forest of Illusion is back.

http://www.gamesradar.com/new-super-mario-bros-u-preview-8-ways-its-just-super-mario-world/

The game is basically New Super Mario World. Buy it if you weren't going to already.

:aaaaa:

Really liking the thought of them having the balls to infuriate casuals with false exits.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
The original NSMB had a loop-around exit thing, but it was in one of the optional worlds.

Regarding F-Zero, I think just having online play (with at least 20 racers, given MKWii did 12), would be enough of a reason for Nintendo to consider it. It'd be a great way to show the capabilities of their netcode, assuming they're up to it. Add more varied tracks, some roster changes, maybe even a battle mode or something, and you've got a great way to introduce a new generation to BOOST POWER.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Do you think they might consider going the other way with it? F-Zero X on the N64 was interesting in that the graphics were very low detail and the sound very compressed, but it ran at 60FPS with up to thirty cars racing at once which was pretty amazing for a non-Sega arcade racing game. I think its a series that could benefit from having (like in many online FPS) a low detail set of models so they can have some crazy multiplayer modes with a high number of cars to mess around with while still keeping things smooth.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

Do you think they might consider going the other way with it? F-Zero X on the N64 was interesting in that the graphics were very low detail and the sound very compressed, but it ran at 60FPS with up to thirty cars racing at once which was pretty amazing for a non-Sega arcade racing game. I think its a series that could benefit from having (like in many online FPS) a low detail set of models so they can have some crazy multiplayer modes with a high number of cars to mess around with while still keeping things smooth.

GX had high detail models for thirty cars and ran at 60fps(it was a Sega arcade racer though)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Yes, cause heaven forbid if we don't make every game easy and braindead enough for your mother to play.

You're acting like F-Zero GX wasn't oppressively hard.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Well would you look at that!

That said, the series hasn't really divulged into sci-fi so doing it now would seem really off.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lizard Wizard posted:

You're acting like F-Zero GX wasn't oppressively hard.

I'm not saying it isn't, but that wasn't the point of my post. Nintendo already has a family-friendly racing game called Mario Kart. Why should F-Zero also have to become a simplistic racer with no rewarding challenges? You turn F-Zero into what Craptacular! described and you're gonna alienate the few F-Zero fans Nintendo has left.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

alienate the few F-Zero fans Nintendo has left.

And this is why they won't come out with another fully-fledged F-zero game.

GX was an amazing game. Bullshit hard? Totally. But the quality was extremely high. No one bought it.

What're the chances of Metal gear Rising on Wii U? It's already multi-platform.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Well would you look at that!

That said, the series hasn't really divulged into sci-fi so doing it now would seem really off.

I think they could probably work in sci-fi as long as it was always subtle and mysterious and not explained very well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think they could probably work in sci-fi as long as it was always subtle and mysterious and not explained very well.

The Star Wars approach could work. Tatooine is very Zelda-like.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Star Wars approach could work. Tatooine is very Zelda-like.

True, but I mean, both Star Wars and Zelda fit Joseph Campbell's model pretty well. Does anyone really want to play a Star Wars adventure game with Link and Ganon?

I'm more inclined to see a steampunk Zelda than a sci-fi Zelda only because I think it fits with the world better. Zelda isn't something like Xenoblade or Phantasy Star where it feels comfortable to go into that genre.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Katana Gomai posted:

Yes, more remakes, gaming certainly suffers from a lack of those.

Well the Wii-U is going to be suffering from a lack of games, so :colbert:

They're not getting any of the other big releases until months after launch. Even then stuff is going to be pretty sparce even after they release everything we know of. So interesting stuff like those hybrid visual novels would be rather cheap to do and be bargain priced and you could get out the door quicker.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

Well the Wii-U is going to be suffering from a lack of games, so :colbert:

They're not getting any of the other big releases until months after launch. Even then stuff is going to be pretty sparce even after they release everything we know of. So interesting stuff like those hybrid visual novels would be rather cheap to do and be bargain priced and you could get out the door quicker.

Spring is basically always the season of gaming drought :ssh:

Important games come out in the summer or during the holidays. It's been like this forever. Spring is the time to chill out and enjoy all the games you already have.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 4, 2012

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

And this is why they won't come out with another fully-fledged F-zero game.

GX was an amazing game. Bullshit hard? Totally. But the quality was extremely high. No one bought it.

What're the chances of Metal gear Rising on Wii U? It's already multi-platform.

I remember reading that Kojima said he wouldn't simply port, but would have to create a Wii-U specific version of Metal Gear Anything for the system.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Spring is basically always the season of gaming drought :ssh:

Important games come out in the summer or during the holidays. It's been like this forever. Spring is the time to chill out and enjoy all the games you already have.

Excuse me sir, but Monster Hunter.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Excuse me sir, but Monster Hunter.

Oh believe me I know. But the guy was saying that after the ~release window~ (Which MH will release at the very end of) the Wii U would dry up.

But, I mean, it's always like that, not just on a console release but for gaming in general. April ~ June is not a time to release big titles. No more gift cards leftover from Christmas, and the much better summer season coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

True, but I mean, both Star Wars and Zelda fit Joseph Campbell's model pretty well. Does anyone really want to play a Star Wars adventure game with Link and Ganon?

I'm more inclined to see a steampunk Zelda than a sci-fi Zelda only because I think it fits with the world better. Zelda isn't something like Xenoblade or Phantasy Star where it feels comfortable to go into that genre.

I think that Skyward Sword was even going a bit into sci-fi direction. The spirit that helped Link, named Fi, was pretty much just an AI interface with the sword. She'd talk like a robot about the probability for stuff happening, and seemed like a computer program to me. And there were a few points in the game that almost felt like "technomagic". Like, the portal that opened up had a very gear-based motif, for example.

(Does this count as a spoiler for Skyward Sword?)

At any rate, I can only look forward to what they'll do with Zelda on the Wii U. I wouldn't mind a slightly more sci-fi direction, but I think handling it like some kind of technomagic rather than just spaceships and lasers or whatever.

• Locked thread