Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Skizzles posted:

How have you stayed sane thus far? I couldn't do it. :(

Haha, I never did claim to be sane. But, really I'm at the end of my rope with this place, and have to look for something else soon. There are dogs that do well in daycare, even in that set-up but they are the minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

We also had a completely blind and deaf dog that came in for boarding for weeks at a time that would just walk the fenceline howling sadly.

:( Poor thing.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

You just described where I work. The squirting is totally counter-effective, and my boss has openly admitted that it is to 'make us feel better.' My other coworker just screams at dogs and alpha rolls them while I'm like :stare: . Yea I need a new job.

You know, I would take Cesar Milan followers any day after dealing with people who just smack dogs in the face when they're annoying. At least in the alpha rolling case, the people are probably just misguided and still believe they are doing "right" by the dog. I have no idea how smacking a dog can be justified.

I have worked at two daycares in the past and my experiences pretty much echo your experiences. Especially with the doodles. However, at the most recent place the shepherds were the worst for me. No one really monitored playtime well enough or kept the dogs busy enough, so when people dropped off their super energetic, under exercised shepherds, the dog went off and made it their job to be a jerk to all the other dogs. There were some that would target the smaller dogs (why they were allowed with the large dogs, I don't know), ones that would just barkbarkbarkbark all day and then ones that would target the shy dogs so much that the shy dog would hide under chairs terrified. None of the coworkers saw a problem with all this behavior so day after day these dogs were allowed to act this way, and then when I had to deal with them and actually tried to maintain a safe/calm playgroup, it was impossible.

Edit: First place got up to 50-60 dogs with 2-3 employees at once by the time I left. Then the second place started as 10-15 with one employee, and was up to around 25-30 with one person when I left. I believe they are working on getting a second employee over there now though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

cryingscarf posted:

You know, I would take Cesar Milan followers any day after dealing with people who just smack dogs in the face when they're annoying. At least in the alpha rolling case, the people are probably just misguided and still believe they are doing "right" by the dog. I have no idea how smacking a dog can be justified.

A lotttttt of people use alpha rolls or slaps/kicks ("touches") to vent aggressive feelings toward their dog, justifying it because ~dominance~

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Fraction posted:

A lotttttt of people use alpha rolls or slaps/kicks ("touches") to vent aggressive feelings toward their dog, justifying it because ~dominance~

Very true. I think thats how it was at the second daycare. It started with the alpha rolling thing when fights happened but slapping a dog when it jumps on you or spills water is more immediately effective and "satisfying" so it transitioned into that. Thankfully at the first place I worked with Cesar Milan people who were honestly trying to do well by the dogs, they just happened to fall under the wrong mentor when they were learning. (Lesser of two evils and all I guess.)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Robo Kitty posted:

:( Poor thing.

We all felt really bad for that dog. He was a 14 year old Samoyed and I'm pretty sure he was an outdoor only dog. His owner tended to bring him in whenever the weather got bad and said he'd pick him up in "a week or so I guess" and never brought him with any food or beds or anything. The lady who worked morning shifts said she was always worried she would find him dead. Poor old man. I always gave him extra beds in his kennel.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I'll give a light tap on a dog's butt to break its focus if it's so involved in a thing I don't exist to it anymore, but it hardly counts as a smack (I smack them harder when I'm just drumming on their sides and giving them hard pats)but I see a lot of people who SAY they are doing this actually just smack the poo poo out of their dogs and if someone did it to one of mine at a daycare I would raise SO much hell. (I would also never take a dog to a daycare in the first place, so,)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm leaving Max and Pistol at a doggy daycare that also does boarding for a week while I'm gone at Christmas (poo poo that reminds me I gotta get Pistol in for an evaluation ASAP and hope they still have space over Christmas :ohdear:) Max never tries to start poo poo at the dog park so I think he'll be okay. The only thing I'm worried about is if another dog tries to start poo poo with Pistol because he's shy and a complete pushover that Max will go into super protective mode and bite that dog.

Y'all are making me worried. The owner of the place has Australian shepherds and ACDs of her own so hopefully she knows what she's doing.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

cryingscarf posted:

I have worked at two daycares in the past and my experiences pretty much echo your experiences. Especially with the doodles. However, at the most recent place the shepherds were the worst for me.

Edit: First place got up to 50-60 dogs with 2-3 employees at once by the time I left. Then the second place started as 10-15 with one employee, and was up to around 25-30 with one person when I left. I believe they are working on getting a second employee over there now though.

We haven't had a shepherd pass our eval in a long time- they are usually way too nervous and/or understimulated, and the result is a mess.

We also don't have many herding breeds because they police the other dogs too much. We do have a really sweet heeler/ border collie cross who is the mellowest dog, and hangs out with the shih tzus and yorkies all day, sleeping. But, she has little dogs at home, so that's what she does best with. How she ended up as anything but a terror based on her genetics, I don't know, but she's :3:

Sometimes she also comes on "Lab-day":

Her owners are allowing her to get stupidly fat, though, which is a shame.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Y'all are making me worried. The owner of the place has Australian shepherds and ACDs of her own so hopefully she knows what she's doing.

This is a definitely a good sign.

Edit: ack, double post.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

I'll give a light tap on a dog's butt to break its focus if it's so involved in a thing I don't exist to it anymore, but it hardly counts as a smack (I smack them harder when I'm just drumming on their sides and giving them hard pats)but I see a lot of people who SAY they are doing this actually just smack the poo poo out of their dogs and if someone did it to one of mine at a daycare I would raise SO much hell. (I would also never take a dog to a daycare in the first place, so,)

I am the exact same. We give the dogs really hard whacks when we are being playful and drumming on their ribs, or getting them all riled up. But they know its fun. If things get real and someone gets a swat they know they've been bad and get all pathetic.

If someone else swatted my dog? Its on.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I only have experience with three doggie day cares over here and they've all been all right. The one I was talking about previously is run by someone I befriended at chicken camp and who I know to be knowledgeable and pretty skilled in reinforcement based training. She only takes in a few dogs per day to guarantee individual attention. Another place I know of because someone I know takes her dog there on Fridays. It's run by a bunch of clicker trainers who are very VERY committed to +R only training and they carefully screen the dogs they take in. They'll also only take dogs if the owner is willing to commit to the daycare for a longer period of time, so the dogs won't stress out because of new dogs coming and going all the time.

The "worst" place was where we took Rho a couple of times when he was an annoying teenager and both me and my partner were down with a cold at the same time or otherwise unable to provide Rho with the attention that he needed to be tolerable. It was a nearby pet shop where they'd take in a couple of dogs per day IF the dogs were compatible and comfortable together. Rho would play there with another dog for the day and we'd bring back a happy, tired puppy. Pi had to also stay there for a day once because of some unexpected stuff and since he's not good with other dogs, they did a kennel and rotate with him and the others that were there that day. In the end, Pi and Rho got to play together and someone was there to take them outside. It wasn't ideal by any means, but it got us through that day when none of our usual go-to people were available to help.

I don't think doggie daycares are run as a main business by anyone here. They're mostly very small scale affairs that trainers etc. take up as a side business. It's also usually pretty expensive. I think my friend charges something like $40+ per dog per day. Based on my own experiences, I'd have less of a problem leaving my dog(s) at a day care than boarding them while I'm on a holiday. Even the nicer boarding facilities tend to be noisy and stressful for dogs and my dogs aren't even used to being kenneled.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah it sounds like daycares are much better over there, I'm not surprised.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

If things get real and someone gets a swat they know they've been bad and get all pathetic.

The more you know! :eng101:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

We do have a really sweet heeler/ border collie cross who is the mellowest dog, and hangs out with the shih tzus and yorkies all day, sleeping. But, she has little dogs at home, so that's what she does best with. How she ended up as anything but a terror based on her genetics, I don't know, but she's :3:

That sounds for all the world like the reincarnation of my childhood dog. Border collie/heeler, slightly nervous but sweet as anything. And lazy.

Admittedly, other dogs unnerved her, but she was usually exposed to the neighbour's big bitey dog and my crazy aunt's pack of insane tollers.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

This is a definitely a good sign.

She says she tries to put all the herders together in a play group so they can all herd each other and not be the Dog Police Force with the other dogs and get themselves in trouble. Or if there's not enough herders for their own group she puts them with mellow dogs that give no shits about little dogs running around enforcing their arbitrary dog rules.

Max's only consistent dog police behavior is breaking up other dog fights, he never starts them. I'm just worried he's going to jump into a fight between two much bigger dogs and get himself hurt. I haven't had Pistol long enough to see what, if any, weird heeler things he does (I'm sure he has some and they just haven't surfaced yet).

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Superconsndar posted:

I'll give a light tap on a dog's butt to break its focus if it's so involved in a thing I don't exist to it anymore, but it hardly counts as a smack (I smack them harder when I'm just drumming on their sides and giving them hard pats)

I do this for my deaf dog when she's into something that I don't want her to be.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I'll give the Feldbutt a tap if he's focused on something I don't like, like licking/chewing a spot on his leg or rear for too long. But I don't smack him.

The place I used to work at had us use squirt bottles. Every time the dogs started mouthing each other too hard, or would bark or run around, we gave them a squirt.

Why can't us goons just start up our OWN daycare/dog training place? :allears:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

Blood everywhere (goon blood)

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

I'll give the Feldbutt a tap if he's focused on something I don't like, like licking/chewing a spot on his leg or rear for too long. But I don't smack him.

I do this with my dog too because he's gotten pretty obsessive about licking and chewing on his paws until they look raw and gross. That or tossing a piece of kibble at his butt, because "What was I doing OMG LOOK FOOD :downs:". When in doubt, food distractions always work with him.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Superconsndar posted:

Blood everywhere (goon blood)

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD DOGS

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bash Ironfist posted:

I have a dream: Doggie daycare, grooming, training, and/or play park with an in-house coffeehouse. Need to take Muffin in for a trim? She'll be in back getting her nails done while you enjoy a latte and surf the internet. Can't have a dog at your place but love watching them? Order up a french press and grab a seat at the bay window where you can watch the romping in the park. I figure if you had the play park you could also have the fenced area come up to the side of the building where there could be a walk-up window.

I even have a name: The Perky Puppy

Alternate idea: Food-truck Coffee-and-drink-bar that makes the rounds to dog parks. Cups Near Pups.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

What do you guys think about grasps/holding when you're getting a dog's attention? I'll do a little gentle nose-grab (cupping the muzzle from above, not pinching or wrestling or anything) if a strange dog is about to get in my face. It seems to always work and they immediately want to be friends and then we are chill.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
That seems like a really good way to get bitten in the hand.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Does anyone know of any long lasting recipes for dog treats (cookie type) that I could make as a Christmas gift? My dad really dotes on his two Finnish spitzes and I think making him training treats specifically for his dogs would be an amazing gift. I could put them in a cute little container too.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Captain Foxy posted:

That seems like a really good way to get bitten in the hand.

Yea, I was just going to say. I mean it depends on the situation or whatever, but that's a really sort of threatening thing to do to a dog already on the defensive/offensive. Some dogs will back off, I'm sure, and go through a whole range of appeasement signals, but some dogs might not.

Personally, if a strange dog is trying to get up in my grill or whatever, and I don't like it, I ignore the poo poo out of it. Turn my back, and don't look at it or acknowledge it. Seems to work in most situations.

Sometimes I do hold my own dog's snout (firmly, but gently) in place to get him to focus on me though. He has such a high-prey drive that outside, sometimes I find it necessary in order to redirect him off of another dog or animal, when high-value rewards aren't doing the trick. But that's my personal rabbit muncher [dog], I wouldn't do it to a strange dog.

wtftastic posted:

Does anyone know of any long lasting recipes for dog treats (cookie type) that I could make as a Christmas gift? My dad really dotes on his two Finnish spitzes and I think making him training treats specifically for his dogs would be an amazing gift. I could put them in a cute little container too.

I don't know about cookie-type, but if you can get your hands on a dehydrator, the dried sweet potato chips/ discs are usually a hit.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

wtftastic posted:

Ooh if I get someone with a dog for PISS I'd love to bake some dog treats. :3:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

RoboRodent posted:

That sounds for all the world like the reincarnation of my childhood dog. Border collie/heeler, slightly nervous but sweet as anything. And lazy.

Admittedly, other dogs unnerved her, but she was usually exposed to the neighbour's big bitey dog and my crazy aunt's pack of insane tollers.

You know oddly enough my heeler/BC cross is my mellowest herder by far. Like, he has tons of energy and can run all day, but he can also turn into a lump on the couch for a couple of days if need be (and could even when younger) and doesn't have most of the craziness associated with either breed. Maybe the different neuroses cancel each other out and you get a normal dog. Hybrid vigor and all that.i promise that was a joke he is a cool chill dog through

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Lmao my stepdad has been yelling at football all weekend, and Moses has decided that it is Very Bad and he is deeply concerned that there is something incredibly wrong with him. When he gets loud Moses goes over to him and his eyes get all huge and he whines and paws his leg like "SHOULD I CALL SOMEONE" and then goes and gets me or my mom and is like PLEASE COME. PLEASE COME NOW.

No one will come with him to see that something is wrong and no one is listening to him and he's not sure if he's even real anymore. I keep trying to give him things to occupy him and he's really loving insulted that I think I can just make him FORGET that something is HAPPENING so now he's got a stick up his butt and won't look at me. :qq:

edit: oh now just after i hit post the dog starts yelling too now they are both yelling, if you can't save em yell with em

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 5, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Does your dad like Moses? I know you said your mom hates him, but your dad also owns that depressing chihuahua so I can't see him liking a bigger dog that moves around very much.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Baby Food Dog Biscuits

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups rice flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup brewers yeast
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tsp garlic powder
2 eggs, beaten
2 small jars of baby food (pick a flavour! Beef, Chicken, Veg etc)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp water
2 tsp honey

Preheat oven to 325F
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add all wet ingredients and mix with your hands.
Roll the dough out to 1/4" thick and cut out biscuits with knife or shaped cutter. If the dough is sticky add rice flour a teaspoon or two at a time until it is the right consistency.

Place biscuits on a greased or lined cookieb sheet and bake 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave biscuits to cool in oven for a couple of hours (makes them crunchy!).

Keep in an airtight container.

Brewers yeast adds a nutty flavour without nuts - it is found at health food stores.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Superconsndar posted:

Lmao my stepdad has been yelling at football all weekend, and Moses has decided that it is Very Bad and he is deeply concerned that there is something incredibly wrong with him. When he gets loud Moses goes over to him and his eyes get all huge and he whines and paws his leg like "SHOULD I CALL SOMEONE" and then goes and gets me or my mom and is like PLEASE COME. PLEASE COME NOW.

Timmy is in the well and I also hosed up this other dog on the way to telling you and his blood is in the well :haw:

Next Time on 'The Adventures of OFRN Lassie': The Hound Puppy Who Definitely Did Evil Things To Deserve What I Did To Him

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Peanut Butter Cookies

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup brewers yeast
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup dry powdered milk
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup canola oil
2 eggs beaten
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 325F

Combine dry ingredients in bowl. Cut in peanut butter then add wet ingredients. Mix with your hands.

Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut out treats. Bake on parchment paper or ungreased cookie sheet for 14 minutes.

Return treats to cooling oven to harden overnight. Makes 3-5 doz treats.

Store in airtight container.

I got these recipes from a friend of mine who makes them all the time, they came in a box with a few dog-shaped biscuit cutters.

iwik fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 5, 2012

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

No one will come with him to see that something is wrong and no one is listening to him and he's not sure if he's even real anymore. I keep trying to give him things to occupy him and he's really loving insulted that I think I can just make him FORGET that something is HAPPENING so now he's got a stick up his butt and won't look at me. :qq:

edit: oh now just after i hit post the dog starts yelling too now they are both yelling, if you can't save em yell with em

I love your dogs.
I love stories about your dogs.
They make me laugh out loud more than anything.
I want a moses and frankie and gumbo :( (well, no, but stories and pictures are awesome!)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I know, they just quit whatever they were doing that annoyed me and pay close attention. Hyperbole :)

Moses is amazing :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Does your dad like Moses? I know you said your mom hates him, but your dad also owns that depressing chihuahua so I can't see him liking a bigger dog that moves around very much.

He thinks he's stupid and bad because he does Activities and any dog that does Activities is stupid and bad, (his dog is good, because he never does anything) and he doesn't like MY dogs being in HIS HOUSE and a good daughter would have had the decency to get rid of all pets before moving back home, but he doesn't really dislike him personally. He's mostly nice to him as long as I keep him away from his precious little beanbag dog and don't let him get too exuberant in the house. He likes not-tiny dogs and has had them before (last 3 dogs were an irish setter, a cocker, and a beagle, all of which ended up grotesquely obese and died at about 10) but really he just specifically likes his own dogs and everyone elses dogs are bad and stupid, probably because they are capable of voluntary movement.

Captain Foxy posted:

Timmy is in the well and I also hosed up this other dog on the way to telling you and his blood is in the well

Next Time on 'The Adventures of OFRN Lassie': The Hound Puppy Who Definitely Did Evil Things To Deserve What I Did To Him

Would watch this show, show in which Good Dog gets vengeance on Bad Dogs (all dogs.)

Siochain posted:

I want a moses and frankie and gumbo (well, no, but stories and pictures are awesome!

Gumbo would have been such a cool dog if he had been my dog and if he had actually been named Gumbo :(

Alas, dog is floor lump. He got smacked and screamed at the other day for treeing a squirrel and telling the neighborhood about it because 1) That was mean, poor squirrel and 2) who taught you to make those sounds

I have mostly washed my hands of gumbo puppy because it is just too sad. He makes an excellent foot rest.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 5, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is a very specialized recipe because it uses spent brewer's grain, but if you know or are a homebrewer they will surely hook you up with some spent grain. Also if there is a local small brewery nearby they will also likely give you some because the stuff is a waste product that they normally have to pay to get rid of. Just double check that no hops are in the grain you get (they shouldn't be unless they tossed all of their waste products into a single bag or something).

quote:

4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter (all natural)
2 eggs

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them. Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 3 to 4 hours (or until they are really dry) to prevent mold growth. Store in an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.

I'm not sure why it is but dogs go absolutely gaga for these treats when I make them. Someone mused that maybe the dogs can smell/taste the protein content of the treats.

I modify the recipe a bit. Firstly I either use a dog-bone shaped cookie cutter to make individual treats, or I make little snakes because when you do that they look a bit like poo and what could be more appetizing to a dog than poop? Then I bake them long enough to set them, and transfer them into a dehydrator to dry for a long period of time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

iwik posted:

Baby Food Dog Biscuits

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups rice flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup brewers yeast
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tsp garlic powder
2 eggs, beaten
2 small jars of baby food (pick a flavour! Beef, Chicken, Veg etc)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp water
2 tsp honey

Preheat oven to 325F
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add all wet ingredients and mix with your hands.
Roll the dough out to 1/4" thick and cut out biscuits with knife or shaped cutter. If the dough is sticky add rice flour a teaspoon or two at a time until it is the right consistency.

Place biscuits on a greased or lined cookieb sheet and bake 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave biscuits to cool in oven for a couple of hours (makes them crunchy!).

Keep in an airtight container.

Brewers yeast adds a nutty flavour without nuts - it is found at health food stores.

You don't need the brewer's yeast or the garlic powder. Honestly, you don't need a lot of that. I've done it with just whole wheat flour, a pinch of salt, a couple of eggs and the baby food. Comes out to be about the same. :) And it's cheaper with less ingredients.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
My favorite peanut butter cookie recipe is gluten free, super easy, and wonderful for dogs. When I do it for dogs, I use brown rice flour in place of 1/2 of the sugar and carob chips on top if any at all.

Mix in a bowl: 1 cup of your favorite no sugar peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 egg, 1 cup sugar (for dogs sub 1/2 cup rice flour and 1/2 cup sugar), and a pinch of salt. I also add a dash of vanilla but you don't have to. Mix it all up until it is a dough that sticks to itself. Make balls the size of quarters and flatten lightly with a fork on a cookie sheet. Top with a Hershey's kiss for people, a carob chip or three for dogs. Bake at 300 degrees until golden on edges and whatever consistency you prefer. I like drier, crispier cookies for dogs and generally make them very small. Cool on a rack before packing them in your saddlebags and going longriding with your dog and draft cross.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I've got some leftover sorghum flour I bought for one recipe that I've been needing to get rid of. Would it be ok to use instead of rice flour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Yeah, sure. Should work fine.

• Locked thread