Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, he was born 11pm Tues, they were both discharged 12pm Thurs (which was a surprise to me as they were worried about things during the whole time and it looked like something would keep them in longer, as there were many issues and heaps of tests and staff checking up on things).
But by Friday morning things not good, a visiting midwife said go to the hospital, so less than three days old before we went back (and he was ~2 wks premature)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Greycious posted:

I'm really early in this, only about 6 weeks (don't really know exactly right now since I have a much longer than 28 day cycle, which varies quite a bit, my first ultrasound he said I was earlier than he thought based on my last period.) I just keep my fingers crossed after 12 weeks things will be much better.

And being sick all the time has left me having to start telling a lot more people what is up, even though I wanted to wait until 12 weeks. I really hate that. Especially since I'm at a higher risk for miscarriage.

Glad to know I should be able to take the prescription safely if (when) I'm desperate for some relief.

Looking back my post has some awesome typos since I did it on my phone.

The Motherisk site has a lot of good information about NVP (nausea and vomiting of pregnancy) treatment, especially with Diclectin (B6/Doxylamine).
Here's a study they did specifically about Diclectin and safety: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038813/?tool=pubmed
And here is their site with lots of info about NVP: http://www.motherisk.org/women/morningSickness.jsp

Here is a study on Zofran use in pregnancy showing no increase in miscarriage/stillbirth/major birth defects: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2004.00236.x/full

This is a site about hyperemesis that has a lot of information about various meds used for NVP: http://www.helpher.org/

Although the general advice is that it's fine to lose weight and eat crappy during the early stages of pregnancy (which is true for the majority of women), you should be aware that too much weight loss and excessive nausea and vomiting can have negative effects both for you (in the short and long term) and for the baby. There is also a study that shows that medicating early can prevent NVP from getting as bad, so that medicating early may actually reduce how much medication you require in the long run (or how long you need it for). I opted to medicate early in this pregnancy after needing IV hydration at 6 1/2 weeks with my miscarriage pregnancy. I don't love that I take more medication right now than pre-pregnancy, but I don't regret the decision either. I'm able to be a functional human being and even if I'm not gaining and weight yet (which my doc wants to see happening soon) I'm at least not skin and bone and I haven't had to go into the hospital.

As far as non-medication based options go, without meds, none of the stuff people typically tell you to do to help morning sickness worked for me. I was miserable all the time and eating/crackers/ginger/etc did gently caress all. With meds, I've still got nausea at least part of the time, but most of that stuff that is supposed to help actually does. I have the most success with making sure I start the day with some protein (eggs work pretty well even though most days I really didn't want to eat them), eating small amounts frequently (I keep apples, yogurt, and Jello pudding with me at school as snacks), and drinking pretty much anything but plain water, because my stomach still thinks plain water is the devil. I've tried ginger in a few forms and had zero luck with it. But I didn't like it much even before pregnancy so that's probably why. There are some decent studies showing that it does help, so its definitely worth a try. I think you can get it in capsules so you don't have to taste it.

Has your bleeding gone away?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Fo3, 12 hours straight of sleeping would have me majorly freaked out too. I'm glad you went to the hospital.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ceridwen you're a saint right now.

Thank you so much for the links to the studies. I ended up taking one of the anti-nausea pills last night and ate the biggest meal I have in the last week in a half (though it still wasn't that big, and it was still chicken nuggets and fries... :rolleyes:) It helped, for a little bit at least.

I've managed to go all day today without taking the medication..(although I probably should have this morning.) I guess I don't have to push myself so hard not to take it next time, especially with the medicating early info.

I'm not really sure if I've lost weight or not. I'm sure I will if I keep up the way I have been.

I don't like the taste of ginger either. But now that I'm pregnant ginger ale tastes amazing to me, and my usual favorite soft drinks; coke, cheery coke, rootbeer, taste disgusting. Still don't think anything more gingery than ginger ale would taste good. I did get the ginger capsules to try though.
I know what you mean about the water..I drink some to take my pills, and I sip it at night when I get in bed, but during the day when I'm at my worst it doesn't appeal to me.

I had some spotting last Saturday. Same day I managed to go into work for about 3 hours. Haven't had any since then! :woop:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

rangergirl posted:

Yup...I went to the ER last night, I need to have it out.

Sorry to hear that. It sucks to be away from your baby for a few days but it is a routine surgery and easy to recover from.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Greycious posted:

Ceridwen you're a saint right now.

Thank you so much for the links to the studies. I ended up taking one of the anti-nausea pills last night and ate the biggest meal I have in the last week in a half (though it still wasn't that big, and it was still chicken nuggets and fries... :rolleyes:) It helped, for a little bit at least.

I've managed to go all day today without taking the medication..(although I probably should have this morning.) I guess I don't have to push myself so hard not to take it next time, especially with the medicating early info.

I'm not really sure if I've lost weight or not. I'm sure I will if I keep up the way I have been.

I don't like the taste of ginger either. But now that I'm pregnant ginger ale tastes amazing to me, and my usual favorite soft drinks; coke, cheery coke, rootbeer, taste disgusting. Still don't think anything more gingery than ginger ale would taste good. I did get the ginger capsules to try though.
I know what you mean about the water..I drink some to take my pills, and I sip it at night when I get in bed, but during the day when I'm at my worst it doesn't appeal to me.

I had some spotting last Saturday. Same day I managed to go into work for about 3 hours. Haven't had any since then! :woop:

Glad the spotting has been better! And that you were able to eat a good meal. Honestly, depending on how your sickness goes it may even be that you just need to take them once in a while so you can have a little while of feeling better to help get through it. Mine is too bad for that but I've known women who got by fine that way. There is definitely a mental aspect to it as well, where you just need a break for a few hours once in a while so you don't get too down. Feeling sick all the time for weeks really wears you down. Some women even end up on meds just to deal with the mental aspects of it.

Feel free to PM me if you need to freak out about the spotting or morning sickness. I've just recently stopped bleeding finally at 14 weeks! I actually had a freak out today about how the baby was doing because pregnancy without spotting is so foreign to me!

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I couldn't keep down plain water at all either during my first trimester. What I found helps is to drink sparkling water instead and am drinking that pretty much exclusively with no problem. Also, I need to eat something when I wake up before I can drink anything or else I will still throw up.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ceridwen posted:

There is definitely a mental aspect to it as well, where you just need a break for a few hours once in a while so you don't get too down. Feeling sick all the time for weeks really wears you down. Some women even end up on meds just to deal with the mental aspects of it.

Definitely is. I've had a few bouts of just crying to my husband because I've just been so tired of feeling sick all the time.

Ceridwen posted:

Feel free to PM me if you need to freak out about the spotting or morning sickness. I've just recently stopped bleeding finally at 14 weeks! I actually had a freak out today about how the baby was doing because pregnancy without spotting is so foreign to me!
Wow, well glad your spotting is finally subsiding. I had a little more this morning but not too concerning, it isn't anything more than what I've already had.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
+1 to team Baby Benjamin.

Ours has developed a sudden hatred of the right boob just as my wife's milk was coming in. It looks like an engorgement issue, but Ben won't even try to latch on. Just completely refuses to suck from that side. Latches happily and easily onto the left boob. Any thoughts?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Does the milk kind of firehose out of there at first? I just let mine go onto the sink or a towel and then nursed after it calmed down a little. You could try pumping a little bit or hand-expressing just to lessen the flow.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ben Davis posted:

Does the milk kind of firehose out of there at first? I just let mine go onto the sink or a towel and then nursed after it calmed down a little. You could try pumping a little bit or hand-expressing just to lessen the flow.

If you don't want to waste it, one of these might be handy for you
http://www.amazon.com/Milkies-Milk-...=I2I7XUP3U2NE2U

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
We chose Ben as a name because it's classic, it ages well, and it's not common. I don't know any Bens and neither does my husband.

My point is if you goons are any indication, my son might not be the only Ben in his future classes.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Alterian posted:

That's a good idea! I had way more milk than I could handle back then, though!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Two weeks till my due date. My lower back is really bothering me if I lay/sit certain ways and my right hip/butt hurts a lot. I hope that means things are moving along. Sitting on my exercise ball is the most comfortable thing.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
On the subject of names, what resources have you all used as a reference to find the names you wanted.

We have a couple names that we are considering for our second son, but my wife has been making all the suggestions up to now.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Superdawg posted:

On the subject of names, what resources have you all used as a reference to find the names you wanted.

We have a couple names that we are considering for our second son, but my wife has been making all the suggestions up to now.

We just made a list of names we both liked and chose from that. We didn't look at books or anything.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Schweig und tanze posted:

We just made a list of names we both liked and chose from that. We didn't look at books or anything.

Yeah, that's what we did. Well, each of us made a list, and we went through each others' lists and eliminated ones we really didn't like. Most name books and name sites are so bloated that going through them is awful (and anything they say about a name's meaning or origin is quite likely to be bullshit). I do like the Social Security site, though--you can skim through names by popularity for any year after 1879, and narrow the search down to manageable chunks. You can also use it if you want to weed out names that have been super-popular for the last few years, or something like that.

Grumbling time: my goal for the next couple of days is to continue not having this baby. I have a Caesarian scheduled for Wednesday. Meanwhile, I get contractions on and off all day and my pelvis/pubic bone feels like it's going to disintegrate. My blood pressure was up at my Friday prenatal visit. It went back to normal after they had me lie down for ten minutes, so they sent me off for additional labwork and I'm supposed to be lying the hell down and taking it the hell easy. I'm so, so grateful that my husband was able to start his planned leave a couple of days early and stay home to wrangle the three-year-old Friday and Monday. My mom comes up tomorrow, too, so if I can just hang in there another half-day we'll be all set.

This baby has been a fairly considerate little guest, all things considered--not jamming himself up into my ribcage like his big sister did, for instance--but I think we need to establish a different kind of relationship.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Alterian posted:

I thought those would be awesome until I saw them in real life. They're huge, just so you know. This shows the size pretty well. http://raveandreview.typepad.com/.a/6a0105362badb1970b01538f26a35c970b-pi

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Hi thread! I've actually been here many times before/after the birth of my first daughter, but my old account got all destroyed somehow. I'm 26 weeks now with my second daughter.

Since we're on names... I really like the name Leah, but my husband swears she'll be the victim of horrible Star Wars references for her entire life. I've already pointed out it's not the same name. Is this going to be a cruel burden on her?

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Grumbling time: my goal for the next couple of days is to continue not having this baby. I have a Caesarian scheduled for Wednesday. Meanwhile, I get contractions on and off all day and my pelvis/pubic bone feels like it's going to disintegrate.

Tell your baby to talk to mine, I'd be happy for her to decide to exit any day now.
I wouldn't mind if she came out Tuesday, as I've already voted, though most of my husband's side of the family is rooting for Saturday, which is the Marine Corps Birthday. I'd settle for anytime between now and the 19th, when they induce me if she hasn't exited yet. I'd prefer not to be induced, if possible. I will try all of the old wives tales EXCEPT the oil, ugh.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Cathis posted:

Tell your baby to talk to mine, I'd be happy for her to decide to exit any day now.
I wouldn't mind if she came out Tuesday, as I've already voted, though most of my husband's side of the family is rooting for Saturday, which is the Marine Corps Birthday. I'd settle for anytime between now and the 19th, when they induce me if she hasn't exited yet. I'd prefer not to be induced, if possible. I will try all of the old wives tales EXCEPT the oil, ugh.

For the last couple of weeks I've been saying "any day now is just fine with me" and I'd been rooting for Oct 25th or Nov 6th for some family birthdays. But now that it's this close I just want to wait till my mom gets here.

Even though I feel a lot better lying down it's been pretty isolating. I'd hoped to spend this weekend getting some things done and spending as much good time with my daughter as I could. My sympathies for anyone who gets told to do serious bedrest for any period of time.

newts posted:

Hi thread! I've actually been here many times before/after the birth of my first daughter, but my old account got all destroyed somehow. I'm 26 weeks now with my second daughter.

Since we're on names... I really like the name Leah, but my husband swears she'll be the victim of horrible Star Wars references for her entire life. I've already pointed out it's not the same name. Is this going to be a cruel burden on her?

Oh, I don't think Leah is doomed for life. I'm sure the joke will be made more than once, but it doesn't seem to me like it's just begging for it. Were you planning on pronouncing it after the Star Wars name, though, or Lee-ah?

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 5, 2012

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Superdawg posted:

I worried about names more than anything else during my pregnancy. I'm sure there's some posts in this thread from last year with some proof of my name-craziness, too. I went into labor and WHAM, I finally knew what name I was choosing. My husband had the good sense not to argue with me, and I have no regrets about the name I chose (Nolan). On the other hand, I recently found the pack of index cards with the other names we were considering, and I think I was half out of my mind with some of those ideas.

One of the better books I had about names was "Bring Back Beatrice" which had a good collection of traditional, not off-the-wall names. Not everybody has the same taste in names, but I think it's good sense to pick something that has a predictable spelling and pronunciation.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Superdawg posted:

We both downloaded a couple of baby names apps that let you look through names alphabetically, by origin, by popularity, etc. It was the easiest way for us to find names that we both liked.

Now, we still haven't made a decision & are waiting until we meet our little dude to give him a name...but we do have a short list of names to consider.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

We had the lowest effort name-decision ever. I suggested Briar because I thought it was neat, husband immediately fell in love with it, and by the next day was telling everyone that that was her name (without telling me, haha). Our 'we can't decide' that lasted months was middle names. We ended up going with both of our mother's first names.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 21, 2017

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Our birth class instructor (doula) said it was well worth it. Plus it's only a few minutes and the babies going to be laying on your chest the whole time so why wouldn't you do it. *shrugs* We did it and mama got to hold him from the moment he came out til after I cut the cord.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Awesome Kristin posted:

We chose Ben as a name because it's classic, it ages well, and it's not common. I don't know any Bens and neither does my husband.

My point is if you goons are any indication, my son might not be the only Ben in his future classes.

I think we're up to 5 or 6 in the last 3 months just with goons.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

GoreJess posted:

We both downloaded a couple of baby names apps that let you look through names alphabetically, by origin, by popularity, etc. It was the easiest way for us to find names that we both liked.

Now, we still haven't made a decision & are waiting until we meet our little dude to give him a name...but we do have a short list of names to consider.

Thanks for the suggestions. We went through the same thing with my first son, but we went with our initial decision of my middle name and my father's first name, as kind of a tribute.

Every time I look through those "10,000 names" apps, I get inundated with just off the board names that I have literally no interest in even considering. I remember looking through the social security list last time, so I may pursue that again.

It's tough to use some names that we had in our list before, because they have been taken by new cousins in the family.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

Lullabee posted:

So, I'm writing up my birth plan, since I'll be 26 weeks tomorrow and want to have it done sooner rather than later. I'm not going too crazy controlling with it, but I did have a question -

Are the benefits worth it for delayed cord cutting? I'm not storing, and we can't donate (the father has leukemia), so it's that or just let it go to waste. I ask you guys because you'll be frank with me. :)

The world health organization seems to think it's a an ok idea.

It increases newborn haemoglobin and ferritin levels (although the haemoglobin does not persist past 6 months).
Delayed clamping wasn't found to cause significant differences in clinical jaundice. However, more babies with delayed cord cutting required phototherapy for jaundice.

From Abalos E. Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping of term infants on maternal and neonatal outcomes : RHL commentary (last revised: 2 March 2009). The WHO Reproductive Health Library; Geneva: World Health Organization.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
Hopefully this is alright but I have a bunch of newborn baby boy stuff I don't need, we are not having any more kids, and I am older (33) so everyone I know either is done having kids, has tons of baby stuff already or they aren't having kids at all. If there is a new goon mom who needs or wants anything as far as newborn boy clothes, swaddling blankets (velcro type), a Moby wrap or for the love of God a snow suit since I have 6 freaking snow suits I would love for the stuff to go to someone who needs it. Anyone interested let me know!

rangergirl fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 5, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You could always look into donating them to organizations like Planned Parenthood or women's shelters.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Had my first ultrasound today! It was very exciting seeing the kidneys and heart, and spine, and my god the little tiny feet. I got a bit emotional, as did Mr. Shrew. It's a boy :3:

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

rangergirl posted:

Hopefully this is alright but I have a bunch of newborn baby boy stuff I don't need, we are not having any more kids, and I am older (33) so everyone I know either is done having kids, has tons of baby stuff already or they aren't having kids at all. If there is a new goon mom who needs or wants anything as far as newborn boy clothes, swaddling blankets (velcro type), a Moby wrap or for the love of God a snow suit since I have 6 freaking snow suits I would love for the stuff to go to someone who needs it. Anyone interested let me know!

I've pmed you :)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

bamzilla posted:

I think we're up to 5 or 6 in the last 3 months just with goons.

It's been a top-20 name in the US for a while and has been top-50 for almost as long as they've been tracking. It's a cool name, always been a cool name.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Superdawg posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. We went through the same thing with my first son, but we went with our initial decision of my middle name and my father's first name, as kind of a tribute.

Every time I look through those "10,000 names" apps, I get inundated with just off the board names that I have literally no interest in even considering. I remember looking through the social security list last time, so I may pursue that again.

It's tough to use some names that we had in our list before, because they have been taken by new cousins in the family.

I know names that I like and would love to name our baby, but my husband hates all of them. He hasn't been able to make any suggestions of his own, so we got a baby name book with 50,000+ names and you're right it is absolutely way too much, most of them are the weirdest names that we would never consider.

Do you have any other family names you could use for the baby? It seems more fair that if one child has a name that connects him with family members that the other kid would too.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

Alterian posted:

You could always look into donating them to organizations like Planned Parenthood or women's shelters.

I'm pretty rural, we have no planned parenthood nearby and I'm not sure about women's shelters. I will donate anything left over to the Salvation Army but honestly that's a 45 minute drive and I'm lazy. Plus, I like to help out other Goons =)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm realizing our bedroom is going to be too cold for a baby. We turn our heat down to 55-60 at night for the whole house. I'm thinking about investing in a space heater to just heat our room at night. I need to get a humidifier too because I already get really dried out myself, I can just imagine a baby!

For baby names we looked at the Social Security list like other people have said and some websites. We both like older, classical names that aren't super trendy so it was easy to narrow down categories. Our boy and girl middle names are both family related so that makes it easy. Our boy name fits in with both my husband and mine's name and our girl name is from Greek mythology which both of us are really into.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

tse1618 posted:

Do you have any other family names you could use for the baby? It seems more fair that if one child has a name that connects him with family members that the other kid would too.

None that are worthy of any kind of connection other than blood. Most of my family is full of people I am not proud of calling family in public.

I am kind of strict with my naming though, since I want the first and middle names to "match" and sound "good" with the last name, while not having the first name being a "J" name. (I think J names, like Jason, John, Jack, etc. are just too common for my liking)

Everyone is always on my case, because my first son is Christopher Daniel and they are all saying it would have been awesome to be "Jack Daniel", heh.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Random question ladies.... Since Saturday evening I have been having sharp pulling pains in my lower left and right abdominal areas. It isn't constant, but it does happen frequently and the pain is quite sharp. I am 7 weeks 5 days. This is my only issue. I had an early ultrasound so I know it is not an ectopic situation. Any idea what could be the cause of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I semi seriously wanted to chose our boy name as a Jr. for my husband. The kid's name would have been J***** John Johnson Jr.

The other name I semi seriously wanted that would have been sort of funny would have been Moses Johnson. His nickname could be MoJo!