Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Seoinin posted:

Gamzee is turning... good?!?! *record scratch*

Wait, there's an update? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

In addition to being the most important character, Gamzee is also the best.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Sherrard posted:

In addition to being the most important character, Gamzee is also the best.

This isn't Highlander, you don't become the best character by killing the best character (Equius) :colbert:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Wow, objectively incorrect opinions itt RE: the best troll.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Seoinin posted:

Gamzee is turning... good?!?! *record scratch*

It's a possibility. Remember what the narration said when Karkat shoosh-papped him:

'And so calmed down his juggalo rear end was and would continueth to be for all time.'

Of course, he could just be calmly evil.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There was talk recently about how there's always a bigger villain behind what appears to be the big villain.

Gamzee's motivations are unclear and he's the most important character in all of Homestuck.

Clearly, Gamzee will replace Lord English as the main antagonist. :tinfoil:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There was talk recently about how there's always a bigger villain behind what appears to be the big villain.

Gamzee's motivations are unclear and he's the most important character in all of Homestuck.

Clearly, Gamzee will replace Lord English as the main antagonist. :tinfoil:

The most important character in Homestuck is the audience, who, you'll recall, also fondly regarded the miracle of a new beginning as that countdown approached zero. The second most important character in Homestuck is Andrew Hussie. When Doc Scratch was narrating, he claimed in his arrogance to have had more influence than the above named, who, in turn, had far more influence than the ostensible main characters.

The bigger, badder threat than Lord English is Mobster Kingpin, and Vriska was correct to surmise that this individual will not be relevant to the overarching story of Homestuck.

This is all, of course, just one interpretation. You might prefer one less dependent on metafiction. Or you might like to use it to give yourself the willies by combining it with the idea that Calliope and Caliborn represent Homestuck fans.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 5, 2012

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Gamzee is the loving best and I'm glad he doesn't have to worry about Kanaya trying to kill him anymore.

Even though he'd totally demolish her if they ever did actually fight

She crotch-punted him off a cliff before he even knew what hit him and then smacked down a godtier and bifurcated an enormous tool.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bobulus posted:

Well, Rose doesn't know Caliborn's name (no one does, it seems, other than his minions). So it wasn't there to be struck in the first place.

I maintain that we still don't know what Gamzee is going to do. He could have been hiding that info from Calliope or Caliborn or both. He's still a total wildcard.

She doesn't know it yet, but she also doesn't presently know about everything John just experienced in dream bubble land, yet she writes about it at a future date. It's not inconceivable that Rose knows the name later, when she's writing certain entries.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Luminous Obscurity posted:

She crotch-punted him off a cliff before he even knew what hit him and then smacked down a godtier and bifurcated an enormous tool.

They obviously weren't ready for it and now Gamzee has a cod-piece so he's covered. Also he's God Tier now.

But seriously Gamzee is the strongest troll especially when in murder mode, has psychic powers, and dealt the most damage to the Black King during the trolls climactic fight. He'd smack Kanaya down in a one-on-one duel and it wouldn't be close.

And because we're on the topic of Gamzee, there's something I was wondering. During Dave and Gamzee's conversation where he reveals that he made the kids' session terminal... How did that work? And why did he mess with John when it was Dave that he was raging at?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SteelAngel2000 posted:

They obviously weren't ready for it and now Gamzee has a cod-piece so he's covered. Also he's God Tier now.

But seriously Gamzee is the strongest troll especially when in murder mode, has psychic powers, and dealt the most damage to the Black King during the trolls climactic fight. He'd smack Kanaya down in a one-on-one duel and it wouldn't be close.

And because we're on the topic of Gamzee, there's something I was wondering. During Dave and Gamzee's conversation where he reveals that he made the kids' session terminal... How did that work? And why did he mess with John when it was Dave that he was raging at?

Gamzee instilled the fear of clowns into John that led Dad to shower him with harlequin-based merch which eventually got John's kernel prototyped with a harlequin doll that annoyed Jack enough to make him rebel which allowed him to violently derail the session. So by that token he is "responsible" for causing the kids' session to go terminal, although causality in Homestuck is a giant clusterfuck and just about everything that's happened is interdependent on everything else.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SteelAngel2000 posted:

It's true that those 3 clearly were caught off-guard by Kanaya so we can't really say that she could do that again in a straight-up fight. However, Gamzee dealing the most damage (other than possibly Vriska) doesn't mean he's the strongest or that he would win. Kanaya wasn't a raindow drinker at that point which seems to have definitely made her faster and more powerful. Even Meenah seemed worried to mess with Kanaya in the second walkabout due to her vampire speed.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Remember, Gamzee's God Tier outfit is assembled. It's entirely possible- even likely- that Gamzee isn't actually God Tier.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Remember, Gamzee's God Tier outfit is assembled. It's entirely possible- even likely- that Gamzee isn't actually God Tier.

That was the going theory, but it took kind of a hit when he showed up with wings in Ministrife.

Of course, they could be fake wings. It is a costume party, after all.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

They could also just incidental wings. Rufioh's got wings, after all, and he didn't God Tier. Stranger poo poo has happened.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cabbit posted:

They could also just incidental wings. Rufioh's got wings, after all, and he didn't God Tier. Stranger poo poo has happened.

Good point. In an alternate universe where Kanaya is the most important character in Homestuck, we'd be convinced that Kanaya is god tier because how else could she come back from the dead glowing like that.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Nephthys posted:

It's a possibility. Remember what the narration said when Karkat shoosh-papped him:

'And so calmed down his juggalo rear end was and would continueth to be for all time.'

Of course, he could just be calmly evil.

This remains one of my favourite updates for all MSPA. It's just so beautiful.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

It's true that those 3 clearly were caught off-guard by Kanaya so we can't really say that she could do that again in a straight-up fight.

She rolled up on the three most dangerous trolls and crushed all of them. No backstabbing, no trickery, she just marched up to each one and doled out a beating. How was that not straight-up?

It's easy to forget because Kanaya makes such an effort to get along with everyone and speaks so carefully, but she complains that being a seer or being maternal doesn't come easily to her. What is she good at? Violence. She handed out two beatings and a murder, and then reapplied her bloody makeup like it wasn't a thing.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mystic Mongol posted:

She rolled up on the three most dangerous trolls and crushed all of them. No backstabbing, no trickery, she just marched up to each one and doled out a beating. How was that not straight-up?

She kicked him off a cliff when he wasn't expecting it and he shows up again later like nothing happened.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Comic posted:

She kicked him off a cliff when he wasn't expecting it and he shows up again later like nothing happened.

Where are you getting that he wasn't expecting it?

He saw her coming.

They all did.

She wasn't very subtle about it.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 5, 2012

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

CidGregor posted:

He saw her coming.

They all did.

She was moving pretty drat fast; her victims only had moments to react. This is a different situation, from, say, a prepared duel between the two of them, or Gamzee dropping from a vent while Kanaya is busy chasing Rose down the stairs.

However

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's easy to forget because Kanaya makes such an effort to get along with everyone and speaks so carefully, but she complains that being a seer or being maternal doesn't come easily to her. What is she good at? Violence. She handed out two beatings and a murder, and then reapplied her bloody makeup like it wasn't a thing.

This is a really good post.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
The Kanaya and Calliope talk has made me realize something.

1) From Aranea, it seems that a Sylph's role is to heal or mend their role - to "restore" their aspect.
2) Rose insisted Kanaya come along, with the implication that she was needed (and the further implication that she'd be able to help "further" her race this way, meeting her initial goal.
3) Calliope is being foreshadowed as being intrinsic to paradox space itself, or at least a large parallel to paradox space and its machinations.
4) Hussie's a jerk to his characters, and Rose's dialogue seemed to leave open the implication that Kanaya may wind up choosing to do something else.

I'm wondering if Kanaya will be forced to decide between saving her species or saving Calliope - it would be a decision worthy of a creation myth, and it feels like we haven't had an earnest "hard choice" thus far. Endgame/nearing the end of the story might be where we begin seeing this sort of thing, as the final process of maturation for the characters that haven't been killed/doublekilled.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

CidGregor posted:

He saw her coming.

They all did.

Vampire speed. Notice that she does all that before the sunglasses fall back down.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Suaimhneas posted:

Vampire speed. Notice that she does all that before the sunglasses fall back down.

That just lends to the argument that she's a better fighter than them.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I was wondering what the term Dancestor means and where it comes from.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pester posted:

It's a portmanteau of descendant and ancestor.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Crain posted:

That just lends to the argument that she's a better fighter than them.

Yes? That was my point!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Pester posted:

Example: Meenah and Feferi are Dancestors. Meenah becomes Feferi's ancestor post-scratch, but she was technically a descendant of Feferi pre-scratch.

I guess Pre-Scratch Feferi and Her Imperious Condescension are also Dancestors.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Elysiume posted:

It's a portmanteau of descendant and ancestor.

There is no dancing involved, I am highly disappointed. :(

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Pester posted:

Dancestor is a combination of descendant and ancestor and refers to the changing relations between the pre- and post-Scratch sets of players (especially the trolls who we don't know who the genetic predecessor). For example in A1 it was an adult Feferi and teen Meenah for ancestor-descendant, but in A2 it was the other way. Basically each group sees themselves as the descendant and the other as teenage versions of their adult ancestors, which is kind of mutually incompatible, so dancestors. First mentioned by Porrim in the first Meenahbound walk around.

edit: majorly beaten, and with the Fef-Meenah example too!

As for anyone trying to figure out who's strongest- you can't really, not in concrete terms. No DBZ power levels here (despite the echeladder). Eridan can ko Sollux and kill Fef and Kan, but then vampire-Kanaya can gank Gamzee, Eridan and Vriska, but Vriska can go toe to toe with Bec Noir who can one shot pretty much all the other trolls, but still gets stabbed from behind by Terezi.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Color Printer posted:

I guess Pre-Scratch Feferi and Her Imperious Condescension are also Dancestors.

Aren't they one and the same?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm gonna assume Printer was referring to the adult Empress we see in A2, who is the adult version of Meenah, so no.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Radio Paranoia posted:

Well one is technically the title so I guess I kinda hosed that up there, yeah. :v:

(But yes, I was referring to the crazy A2 empress)

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Radio Paranoia posted:

... no? Post-Scratch Meenah is Her Imperious Condescension.

Did the Beforan Feferi have that title? I don't remember anyone ever using it to describe her.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So I've been rereading the comic. Out of boredom pretty much, and because I didn't want to catch up until I had reread the comic. It's kind of nice just reading it at it's own pace, not having unrealistic expectations or crazy speculation.

But anyway, I AM remembering why I stopped in the first place, so I might as well ask right now:

Does the comic ever give the characters anything resembling agency? Everything until the end of act 5 that I remember was pretty much all about failure, predestination, no one being able to affect things because all the time loops made things already happen, and more and more grisly death. It depresses me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So I've been rereading the comic. Out of boredom pretty much, and because I didn't want to catch up until I had reread the comic. It's kind of nice just reading it at it's own pace, not having unrealistic expectations or crazy speculation.

But anyway, I AM remembering why I stopped in the first place, so I might as well ask right now:

Does the comic ever give the characters anything resembling agency? Everything until the end of act 5 that I remember was pretty much all about failure, predestination, no one being able to affect things because all the time loops made things already happen, and more and more grisly death. It depresses me.

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer: After Cascade, as you know, the (living) trolls met up with Rose and Dave, and Jade/John are on a ship flying through a broken 4th wall. During this time, Jade and John are basically out of the loop and passing their time (and there is a lot of it, seeing as they're on the thing for three years) loving around on their planets.

Rose, Kanaya, and some dead trolls are planning different ways to stop Lord English.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It seems to be slowly moving in that direction, and it's pretty clear that breaking away from predestination is going to be a big part of any possible victory, what with LE's near-total control over the timeline.

In unrelated news, who wants a collection of 36 GameBro mashups?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Walliard posted:

It seems to be slowly moving in that direction, and it's pretty clear that breaking away from predestination is going to be a big part of any possible victory, what with LE's near-total control over the timeline.

But has a character actually performed an important action that was not later shown to be because the timeline wanted them to do it? I mean "slowly moving in that direction" and "talking about possible plans" don't sound like they've actually succeeded in anything yet.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Yonic Symbolism posted:

But has a character actually performed an important action that was not later shown to be because the timeline wanted them to do it? I mean "slowly moving in that direction" and "talking about possible plans" don't sound like they've actually succeeded in anything yet.

Let's keep things in perspective here. The kids and trolls are basically stuck on a vehicle (a flying meteor and a ship) for three years. They can't get off until they arrive. All they really can do is plan right now.

The dead trolls have more capability, but right now their plans are "build a massive army of idiots (failing because they're idiots)," "search for a dead girl (just getting started)" and "decipher a treasure map (requires more destruction because the furthest ring is loving stupid.)"

So no, they haven't succeeded yet. When they succeed, it will be the climax, and the comic will start winding down. Because y'know, they're building plans for defeating the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Yonic Symbolism posted:

All of the frames of reference by which an action can be deemed to be "predestined" are out of the picture, since the start of Act 6, to my recollection at least.