Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Have a link for that share plan? I was thinking about getting a 32GB Nexus 7 with HSPA+ when they come out.

http://redboard.rogers.com/2012/new-to-rogers-the-6-gb-super-plan/
I'm sure there's a million qualifiers and asterixes - I'm almost dreading calling them because of that... but it's mentioned in the second half of that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
What is the best (longest battery life mainly) smart phone that wind has? I am with them currently with a pay as you go flip phone and I get good reception where I live (Hamilton, Westdale area).

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Lexicon posted:

http://redboard.rogers.com/2012/new-to-rogers-the-6-gb-super-plan/
I'm sure there's a million qualifiers and asterixes - I'm almost dreading calling them because of that... but it's mentioned in the second half of that post.

Here's a fresher source: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ipad-dataplans#,Accordion1--acc1

Click shared plan. Offers 100 dollar credit with no term, so 2$/month for 10 month, then 12 after that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Here's a fresher source: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ipad-dataplans#,Accordion1--acc1

Click shared plan. Offers 100 dollar credit with no term, so 2$/month for 10 month, then 12 after that.

Great, thanks. Do you happen to know if they'll mail you a sim card, or do you have to set this up in store?

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009
Need some professional advice goons. I was mugged last night; and my phone was one of the items taken.

I have 3 (?) years left on plan; so I can't really switch providers. Seeing as my SIM card is gone now, is there any way to just buy a new sim card and a used phone?

I really don't feel like shelling out a couple hundred bucks for another phone and want to go on the cheap.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You can buy a new SIM card and have it connected to your account for $10-15, depending on provider. Pop it into any phone that is compatible with your carrier's frequencies, and you're set.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

What is the best (longest battery life mainly) smart phone that wind has? I am with them currently with a pay as you go flip phone and I get good reception where I live (Hamilton, Westdale area).

From reviews, the Galaxy Note 2, then the Galaxy S III, then the Razr V. The Blackberrys' have decent battery life too, but really who wants a bunch of end-of-lifed Blackberrys.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can buy a new SIM card and have it connected to your account for $10-15, depending on provider. Pop it into any phone that is compatible with your carrier's frequencies, and you're set.

Play up the sob story of getting mugged though and it may not cost anything.

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

So that means I could buy a sim card off the internet for cheap?
This is turning out a lot better than I thought

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Evilpiggie posted:

So that means I could buy a sim card off the internet for cheap?
This is turning out a lot better than I thought

Yup. Though I'd recommend you just go in person to a store. It's something they can do in basically 15 minutes, and you're guaranteed to leave with a working sim on your account.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Evilpiggie posted:

Need some professional advice goons. I was mugged last night; and my phone was one of the items taken.

I have 3 (?) years left on plan; so I can't really switch providers. Seeing as my SIM card is gone now, is there any way to just buy a new sim card and a used phone?

I really don't feel like shelling out a couple hundred bucks for another phone and want to go on the cheap.

Do you have homeowners/renter's insurance? Depending on the plan you could be covered...

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
Does Virgin Mobile have any sort of special-rate government plans? A friend here at work just got a pretty sweet plan with Rogers, and before I deal with phone support I was hoping to see if it was worth my time.

EDIT: In addition is anyone familiar with this Mobile Router? Looking to get one for my Wifi needs where no networks exist (One of my jobs, on the bus/train, etc).

fleur_de_leet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 5, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
For anyone who's in the market for a new phone!

Google's basically subsidising their new Nexus 4 phone to get it out there.

Great specs and unlocked pentaband HSPA+, so it'll work on all carriers including WIND and Mobi.

$309 for unlocked 8GB, $359 for unlocked 16GB.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

less than three posted:

For anyone who's in the market for a new phone!

Google's basically subsidising their new Nexus 4 phone to get it out there.

Great specs and unlocked pentaband HSPA+, so it'll work on all carriers including WIND and Mobi.

$309 for unlocked 8GB, $359 for unlocked 16GB.

We've been pretty much allergic to Android in our house, but that's a pretty good price. I'd guess with a contract that'd get knocked down to $0. May have to give that a serious look for the girlfriend, she's still suffering with an old Blackberry.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BGrifter posted:

We've been pretty much allergic to Android in our house, but that's a pretty good price. I'd guess with a contract that'd get knocked down to $0. May have to give that a serious look for the girlfriend, she's still suffering with an old Blackberry.

The issue is that the only carrier subsidy is with T-Mo in the States. As far as I know Google is not selling this one through any other carrier.

e: from the Android Phone thread:

bull3964 posted:

Yup.

There's actually a big of a stink going on with retailers right now. LG won't sell them the phone for less than $500. For stores that do subsidized devices, that's fine as they can still price it below google and the contract kickback fixes the rest. However, retailers that would normally sell it as a SIM only device aren't going to carry it because they would have to take a few hundred dollar loss on the phone to match Google's prices.

So it looks like it's possible that some carriers will pick it up but it would be cheaper to buy straight from Google. And even with contract subsidies it probably won't up cheaper than arguably higher-specced phones like the One X+ or S3.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 5, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

So earlier today I called Rogers and got a tablet data sharing plan added to my account. SIM Card is in the mail apparently.

Then tonight, I noticed that my iPhone had no service. I drove halfway across Montreal and back, and all the while: no service. My girlfriend's iPhone, also on Rogers is fine - so it's nothing to do with infrastructure. Moreover, her SIM card works in my phone.

I can't help but think this is related to me calling earlier. Unfortunately, it's too late to talk to the business hotline people, but I've logged into my online access and everything looks fine.

Anyone have any idea what in the everloving gently caress could be going on with my account? Goes without saying, but my account is in good standing, etc.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

They probably changed the SIM card of your iPhone for the one they're sending you for the tablet. Stupid mistake from them but well... welcome to Rogers !

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

TheSadPope posted:

They probably changed the SIM card of your iPhone for the one they're sending you for the tablet. Stupid mistake from them but well... welcome to Rogers !

For Christ's sake. They deal with this poo poo day in and day out. Should be a well oiled machine - particularly with all that money Canadians throw at them. :bahgawd: Rogers

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

For Christ's sake. They deal with this poo poo day in and day out. Should be a well oiled machine - particularly with all that money Canadians throw at them. :bahgawd: Rogers

"They" meaning Rogers as a company does it day in day out. In reality you have a bunch of call centre employees who don't give a gently caress, high turnover and a constant looming of YOU'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH NEW SALES that they really couldn't care less if it is done properly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Geektox posted:

So it looks like it's possible that some carriers will pick it up but it would be cheaper to buy straight from Google. And even with contract subsidies it probably won't up cheaper than arguably higher-specced phones like the One X+ or S3.

The Nexus 4 is higher spec'ed than either of those phones except memory. It won't have expandable memory.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

The Nexus 4 is higher spec'ed than either of those phones except memory. It won't have expandable memory.

Storage. :eng101:

The Nexus 4 has 2GB of RAM, double the S3's 1GB.

Full comparison here: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=5048

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

"They" meaning Rogers as a company does it day in day out. In reality you have a bunch of call centre employees who don't give a gently caress, high turnover and a constant looming of YOU'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH NEW SALES that they really couldn't care less if it is done properly.

No of course, and I'm not expecting any wage slave with a lovely job and an rear end in a top hat boss to give a gently caress about my first world problems. It's still on Rogers to come up with a system that's not so brittle that adding services can easily cause a loss of service elsewhere.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm probably gonna order the Nexus 4 right from Google. I have to go to a Fido kiosk to switch to a micro sim, don't I? :smith:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm probably gonna order the Nexus 4 right from Google. I have to go to a Fido kiosk to switch to a micro sim, don't I? :smith:

Just go up and ask for a sim. Probably a $10 fee.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now I see where telus was spending their money. I went from 800-1600kbps in red deer on my "4g":galaxy s2x to this on the lte note 2

I think this is faster than the fibre internet telus offers here

edit: yeah, telus's fastest optik internet here is 25/2.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 6, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Now you can hit your data cap in a half hour!!!

BTW those speeds are gone as soon as people actually start using lte.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

21 minutes, actually. But it would be an awesome 21 minutes.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Switched to the Rogers "$58 plan" (before additional fees)
300 min
MY10
Unlimited evenings(6pm-7am) + weekends
5GB

Voicemail + Caller ID extra.

I need to work on getting some account credits.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

MasterBuilder posted:

Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Is there a Canadian/World version of the Razr Maxx?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

D C posted:

Is there a Canadian/World version of the Razr Maxx?

All signs point to yes - http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_maxx-4666.php

No idea where'd you get one, though.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

grack posted:

All signs point to yes - http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_maxx-4666.php

No idea where'd you get one, though.

http://www.omegacell.com/products/motorola-xt910-razr-maxx

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Lexicon posted:

So earlier today I called Rogers and got a tablet data sharing plan added to my account. SIM Card is in the mail apparently.

I really shouldn't be surprised that in addition to the other fuckups - Rogers managed to send me a micro SIM not a nano SIM - despite the guy's insistence that he knew the difference.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Define "as soon as people actually start using". Both my LTE iPad on Bellus and my LTE phone on Verizon in the States have been getting that for months.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

mediaphage posted:

Define "as soon as people actually start using". Both my LTE iPad on Bellus and my LTE phone on Verizon in the States have been getting that for months.

He means that once devices utilizing the LTE band become more commonplace you'll start to see some slowdown like how you'll rarely get the advertised "maximum speed" on HSPA these days.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

less than three posted:

Storage. :eng101:

The Nexus 4 has 2GB of RAM, double the S3's 1GB.

Full comparison here: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=5048

The S3 has 2GB of RAM in North America

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I went to wind to change my phone to a Note 2 and apparently it is for new activations only. You can't even buy the thing paying full price, it is retarded :smith:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

That makes my blood boil. As a market, we really, really need to sever the link between service and device. Imagine a power provider (e.g. BC Hydro) prohibiting existing customers from buying a particular new brand of toaster. That's essentially what goes on in cellular in Canada.

This happened to me once with an early vintage iPhone when they first came out. I wrote a lengthy diatribe to the Fido ombudsman complaining, and they grudgingly made a "special exception". The best part: they forgot to add the device cost to my bill! I walked out of the Apple store having not paid a cent, and it never ever showed up on my bill. Sometimes their incompetence actually works in your favour.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Congrats on stealing a phone I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Congrats on stealing a phone I guess.

How is it stealing if they didn't bill me? Guy at the Apple store said they would.