Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I'm extremely disappointed because I picked it up precisely to have a local co-op game and I thought "hey Dynasty Warriors was always good" and well I guess it never occurred to me that they would completely eliminate entire features for mysterious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Sarkozymandias posted:

I'm extremely disappointed because I picked it up precisely to have a local co-op game and I thought "hey Dynasty Warriors was always good" and well I guess it never occurred to me that they would completely eliminate entire features for mysterious reasons.

If I can suggest something, I'd say get Warriors Orochi 3. That is arguably the best pure Warriors game out there and everything in it is co-op friendly.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

The GIG posted:

If I can suggest something, I'd say get Warriors Orochi 3. That is arguably the best pure Warriors game out there and everything in it is co-op friendly.

Warriors Orochi was so much better than DW7 for me it's not even funny. Pick it up, it's definitely worth getting. (or Sengoku Basara)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
DW7:XL adds co-op to the main story mode. It kinda sucks that you have to get the expansion for that feature but its there.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiSb9Zs4LK0

Official trailer for WO3: Hyper for the Wii U. Shows the new characters, the card battle fighting game mode, and that the Wii U tablet can be used in co-op as a separate screen rather than split screening.

Double Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLu5ekLb2_4

I hadn't seen this but it's another trailer for DW7 empires. Shows a new weapon (some kind of gun/sword/jack hammer) as well as a ton of empire mode stuff. Looks pretty in depth with lots of options.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 2, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
DW8 Kongming you look almost the exact same as in the last game :argh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was gonna say "lack of competition keeps them from innovating" but there is Basara now too, so what gives?

It's especially annoying because the heavy-hitting guys like Lu Bu are around the last to unlock, but if you want to use them, you have to replay all the easier missions to bring them up to speed with your normal dudes.

EDIT: regardign WO3 Hyper: I hope KOEI takes the effort to improve the Stage Editor. It seems like it would have a lot of potential, but the options are so limited it hardly seems worth it.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 2, 2012

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I wish they would quit homogenizing the movesets. Lu Bu is a lovely piece of poo poo in DW7 and a lot of the characters just don't have the same feel they used to.

DW4 and XL was the best in the series. Everyone had their own poo poo and it only required tedious grinding and bullshit to unlock their super-powerful ridonkulous weapons.

Since I'm playing on 360 now I can't even BUY the content I want. I guess I'll look into Warriors Orochi 3 but it's just not the same.

At least Dian Wei still owns.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
DW8 character redesigns, I'm loving them.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is this new to you all?

From here and here (guy that works at Tecmo Koei): Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires will only be available as a downloadable version on PSN in North America. Europe will get the game on Bluray. Also, DW7E will be subtitled with no English dubbing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Yechezkel posted:

Is this new to you all?

From here and here (guy that works at Tecmo Koei): Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires will only be available as a downloadable version on PSN in North America. Europe will get the game on Bluray. Also, DW7E will be subtitled with no English dubbing.

Pretty old news, especially after One Piece Warriors.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think the news itself is new, but not the type of news. I don't think we're ever going to see a disc release for a minor Warriors game anymore in North America, just PSN until the big time releases like DW8.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Just to ask, are any of you picking this up in a few days when it hits the JP PSN?

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Sigh, so it looks like Dynasty Warriors is leaving the Xbox 360 for good then? :smith:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I know someone mentioned early in the thread that this might be coming to PC, but anything announced?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Sigh, so it looks like Dynasty Warriors is leaving the Xbox 360 for good then? :smith:

Just for the side releases maybe. Ken's Rage 2 is getting a 360 version at least in the UK, and DW 8 probably will too. It's always been PS3 only in Japan then they do a 360 port for the western release.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tithin Melias posted:

I know someone mentioned early in the thread that this might be coming to PC, but anything announced?

Nope. It was on Steam registry months ago, though.

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Remember we still got Warriors Orochi 3. We'll probably get Warriors games but only for big releases as have been said.

I think they're silly for not putting these games on Steam. If they're so willing to port to 360 just for a western release, why not also port to the biggest dd gaming service if they're so willing to embrace dd?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 4, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Remember that looking at Japan for 360 ports is not good since they don't get any. They only announce the 360 ports when they announce the localization.

That said Empires probably won't get a port. 8 most definitely will though.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember Zhuge Liang's ghost appearing in the second-to-last Jin campaign. And though it was pretty :psyduck: at first, I was disappointed nothing more was done with it. I was half expecting the entire pass to ignite on fire, but nope, he was in and out of there and there was no further mention of it.
It's a nod to an incident from an encounter in the novel when Zhong Hui had a vision of Zhuge Liang's spirit appearing before him to treat the people of Shu well.

... also, I just saw that DW8 Cao Cao looks almost the same as DW7's :argh: Zhou Yu and Sun Shangxiang don't... why do you!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I wish they'd bring back the event in Wuzhang Plains where Wei Yan rebels against Shu. I think they only had that happen in DW4.

I just started playing the Xtreme stages in DW7. Well...the name is accurate at least. Nothing like fighting ten officers at once, with one of them being buffed to max and immune to knockback, as well as being surrounded by six Juggernauts that are constantly respawning.

I don't even want to think about what these stages are like on Chaos.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I wish they'd bring back the event in Wuzhang Plains where Wei Yan rebels against Shu. I think they only had that happen in DW4.
DW6 did have the moment of "oh dear Wei Yan got himself in trouble Zhuge Liang had better fetch him lest Wei Yan defect".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Twelve by Pies posted:

I just started playing the Xtreme stages in DW7. Well...the name is accurate at least. Nothing like fighting ten officers at once, with one of them being buffed to max and immune to knockback, as well as being surrounded by six Juggernauts that are constantly respawning.

I don't even want to think about what these stages are like on Chaos.

DW7XL pays homage to this scene in history with Ma Dai's stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD6igI2-M2Y

But of course it ends all happily rather than how it does in history. Same for Xiahou Ba's death.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

This may seem a bit out of place but I picked up Bladestorm a while ago and my god that game is a lot of fun. Being a mercenary in the hundred years war is pretty fun when you know the outcome of the war ahead of time. I don't quite have a good grasp on the strong/weak against thing cause lance horsemen seem to kill everything super great even things they are weak to.

Maybe there's some command mechanic about marching with or ordering multiple squads around that I'm just missing but god drat riding into battle with a bunch of heavily armored ladies with an unstoppable charge and unbreakable armor is amazingly fun.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

It's a nod to an incident from an encounter in the novel when Zhong Hui had a vision of Zhuge Liang's spirit appearing before him to treat the people of Shu well.

So...why was it Deng Ai that encounters him?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

So...why was it Deng Ai that encounters him?
Zhong Hui wasn't in 6.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Zhong Hui wasn't in 6.

I think we are either getting wires crossed.

Deng Ai and Zhong Hui are in DW7 as playable characters. Neither were playable in 6. The second to last Jin mission had you playing Deng Ai as he cuts through the mountains, which is where you fight Zhuge Liang's ghost.

My question was if the story has Zhong Hui speaking to Zhuge Liang's spirit, then why in the game is it Deng Ai that encounters him?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

randombattle posted:

I don't quite have a good grasp on the strong/weak against thing cause lance horsemen seem to kill everything super great even things they are weak to.

Bladestorm did a really good job in making most of the weapons super fun, actually, especially since high level troops just naturally outdo the strong/weak triangle. I remember Poleswords being an incredible force of destruction against anything not on a horse.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Anyone know if there's a chance of Koei bringing over the Demo for DW7:E?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I heard eurogamer say that bladestorm was really good a while back. Is it worth tracking down?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uEDF8qtlk

Fist of the North Star 2 gameplay video. Kenshiro seems to move/attack much faster now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uEDF8qtlk

Fist of the North Star 2 gameplay video. Kenshiro seems to move/attack much faster now.
Maybe that's just a bad demonstration video but it still looks far less fun to play and look at than conventional Musou.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I heard eurogamer say that bladestorm was really good a while back. Is it worth tracking down?

It's pretty cool but don't expect it to actually play like a Dynasty Warriors game. I don't really want to spew a big essay in here about how it works but you should definitely at least read the Wikipedia article on it before you go looking for it. One thing I'll say that Wikipedia won't: bad bad framerate. If you're extra sensitive to that kind of thing you might want to pass on it. It was on 360 games on demand a while back, I assume it's still there and horribly overpriced as a result, but I had a pretty good time with it and thinking about it now I kind of want to go back to it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Unlucky7 posted:

I believe there's a demo on PSN. That might help (it didn't sell me on it though).

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe that's just a bad demonstration video but it still looks far less fun to play and look at than conventional Musou.

I agree. It looks really boring.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
A couple of questions:
Are any of the WO3 DLCs worth picking up?
Do I need to own DW7 for DW7XL to work?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Tequila posted:

A couple of questions:
Are any of the WO3 DLCs worth picking up?
Do I need to own DW7 for DW7XL to work?

1) I'd say the stage packs are worth it, though the last few or so are really phoned right the Hell in.

2) No, but having the Vanilla 7 unlocks some content form the get go and lets you play Musou Mode. (with Co-op)

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

The GIG posted:

1) I'd say the stage packs are worth it, though the last few or so are really phoned right the Hell in.

2) No, but having the Vanilla 7 unlocks some content form the get go and lets you play Musou Mode. (with Co-op)

Is there anything special about the stages in the stage packs?

So does that mean that the DW7XL disc has all of the content from the original DW7 on it and I will be able to unlock everything if I poopsock hard enough?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Tequila posted:

Is there anything special about the stages in the stage packs?

So does that mean that the DW7XL disc has all of the content from the original DW7 on it and I will be able to unlock everything if I poopsock hard enough?

To the first, the first I want to say 3-5 stage packs have unique dialogue recorded for them, but the later stage packs just have already in game battle quotes just copy pasted where appropriate, but some stage packs comes with music tracks to use and a few have weapons to unlock in them, not to mention each stage has some sort of interesting challenge in them.

And on the second, I'm not too sure, I just know that Musou mode isn't in the game without the original.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

tooooooo bad posted:

It's pretty cool but don't expect it to actually play like a Dynasty Warriors game. I don't really want to spew a big essay in here about how it works but you should definitely at least read the Wikipedia article on it before you go looking for it. One thing I'll say that Wikipedia won't: bad bad framerate. If you're extra sensitive to that kind of thing you might want to pass on it. It was on 360 games on demand a while back, I assume it's still there and horribly overpriced as a result, but I had a pretty good time with it and thinking about it now I kind of want to go back to it.

Maybe I'm just oblivious to it but I haven't noticed any bad framerates on the ps3 version. It is a strange game and not very dynasty warriors but I think it's pretty fun.

I also payed 5 bucks for it so really you can't go wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was only disappointed with Bladestorm because I was expecting it to do to my country's historical figures what the Musou games did to China and Japan's. I wanted a fiery broadsword wielding Henry V, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

I was only disappointed with Bladestorm because I was expecting it to do to my country's historical figures what the Musou games did to China and Japan's. I wanted a fiery broadsword wielding Henry V, dammit.
Yeah, that was my reaction too. It isn't enough to see famous historical people as NPCs, I want to play as one, drat it!