Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love the poo poo out of Stevie Wonder playing "Superstition" on a fire escape on Sesame Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Bay of Blood, a Mario Bava "classic." No idea what to expect.

Slasher movies owe their existence to Bay of Blood, almost moreso than Halloween. It owns, Mario Bava owns, etc

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

WickedIcon posted:

Slasher movies owe their existence to Bay of Blood, almost moreso than Halloween. It owns, Mario Bava owns, etc

Yes, especially Friday the 13th which lifted scenes directly from it.

Black Christmas was way more influential on the genre though than Bay of Blood.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How often do they add new seasons to old shows? I'm totally hooked on Law & Order (yes the original) and suddenly realized to my great horror that they only have 8 out of the show's 20 seasons available. I'm almost half through that already!

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

How often do they add new seasons to old shows? I'm totally hooked on Law & Order (yes the original) and suddenly realized to my great horror that they only have 8 out of the show's 20 seasons available. I'm almost half through that already!

Usually Netflix uploads the complete series of TV shows up to the last/current season and keeps them for quite awhile. It depends on who they're getting the rights from and how much they're willing to negotiate. For instance, you can watch all of the new Doctor Who up to the current season on DVD, but only a few of the original serials. Sometimes Netflix will only buy a handful of episodes and slowly upload the rest like they did with G.I. Joe. And sometimes they'll just randomly take certain seasons down and put them back up again like what they did with The IT Crowd.

Normally I'd say just wait for Netflix to buy the rights, but it seems like they've been stuck with 8 seasons for quite sometime. It's possible that Netflix will renegotiate for episodes when the contract expires, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. If you're in serious need of Law & Order, I'd either seek out the DVDs at a cheap price or buy the remaining seasons digitally on Amazon.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Major content dump in the past couple of days. I'd recommend:
The Boys From Brazil Nazi hunter Lawrence fuckin' Olivier chases down Doctor Mengele in a quasi sci-fi movie. Sounds awesome? It drat well is. Well worth watching.

Interesting. Would pair nicely with Marathon Man, featuring Olivier as the Weiss Angel, a creepy Nazi fugitive with a flair for torture. Also on Netflix streaming.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Conversation goes great with Marathon Man.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
All three of those movies are some of my favorite things from the 70's.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Rock-a-Fire Explosion is getting taken off soon, so I thought I'd give it a watch. It is incredibly sad and even a little horrifying, although I don't know if the director was trying for that or not.

The saddest parts are hands-down the ones with the owner of the company that built the robots, sitting alone in his mouldering factory waiting for the order to come in for more robot performers, waiting and waiting in darkness and silence for the success that seemed so certain when he was young. The scene where he tells the story of how Showbiz Pizza cut him loose is terrifying, because you can tell he plays that story over and over in his head, wondering what else he could have done to save the livelihood and careers of his friends.

I guess it all just really communicates a sense of what it feels like to believe that things aren't how they should be, that a mistake has been made and this poor guy's approach is to sit around and wait for somebody to come by and correct it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jack Gladney posted:

The saddest parts are hands-down the ones with the owner of the company that built the robots, sitting alone in his mouldering factory waiting for the order to come in for more robot performers, waiting and waiting in darkness and silence for the success that seemed so certain when he was young.

It was pretty sad, but not because of a "success that didn't come". I got the impression that the guy was pretty well-off after the whole Rock-Afire thing, and for his various other inventions, but the sad part was that the guy peaked early with the Rock-Afire Explosion and then just completely faded into obscurity along with the animatronic band. The sad thing was the unused, dusty workshop that looked like a tomb, like a time capsule from a post-apocalyptic alternate 1980's, with faux-wood paneling and a warehouse full of old robot parts. But I didn't feel like Aaron Fechter was personally suffering, financially or otherwise.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Der Shovel posted:

I also streamed a bunch of the Law and Order this past summer and can confirm FrostedButts is rights: it's been stuck on the same season selection for a long time.

Resurrecting this from a couple pages ago since I really like Little Shop of Horrors

LaptopGun posted:

The 1980's movie of the Broadway musical adaptation of the original movie Little Shop of Horrors expires in a couple hours. The special effects for Audrey 2 look far better than any CGI you'll see today and it's got a couple major actors in hilarious bit parts (I won't spoil). You will still have to go to Youtube for the original very much unhappy ending though.

(My original post)

GonSmithe posted:

Or buy it on blu-ray, which just came out!

As for it expiring, it was gone for a while and suddenly came back. I don't expect it to be gone for too long, honestly, but you should seriously watch it anyway. It's amazing.

I have not caught the BluRay yet. It certainly is awesome Warner Bros spent the money to restore and reconstruct the original ending. I had not noticed the film boomeranging on and off streaming, but who knows. I know Bonnie and Clyde has had some recent activity and it looks like this week the original Terminator is off streaming (the mother of all on again/off again movies on Netflix). Edit: correction Terminator is back on streaming again.

wrinklepuff posted:

And Levi Stubs from The Four Tops voices / sings for the plant...I had the tape growing up...poo poo was my jam.

When I first saw the movie years ago, I had no idea the voice of the plant was such a famous singer. He really did a great job. I should seek out the Broadway cast album for the musical to hear the original Audrey II actor: Ron Taylor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Taylor_%28actor%29 You may remember him from a boatload of movie parts and TV show appearances. Such as Bleeding Gums Murphy from the Simpsons and a memorable character from the second season of Twin Peaks (I'll leave it at that).

Another thing, Twin Peaks is obviously on streaming if you dare. :psyduck: :drugnerd: :suspense:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't remember that guy at all from Twin Peaks. Then again, I think all his stuff was post-resolution of the Laura Palmer murder, which is when the show went from :suspense: to :regd09:. I'm still mad I bothered watching the rest of it... No, the last episode absolutely does not make up for it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The finale of Twin Peaks is pretty much the best finale of a TV show ever, and I hated season 2.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Don't forget the film. I mean, if you just watch til the end of the Laura Palmer plot the film will still mostly make sense, but there's certain points that only make sense if you've seen the finale.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Haven't seen it yet, since Netflix doesn't have it (yet Amazon Prime does?)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The finale of Twin Peaks is pretty much the best finale of a TV show ever, and I hated season 2.

Thank god for this post. I started watching Twin Peaks on a whim and after about 5 or 6 episodes into the second season I started regretting that decision. The first season was SO good.

The music cues crack me up.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Fire Walk with Me is amazing. It's like my second favorite thing about Twin Peaks after Miguel Ferrer's character.

foodfight posted:

Memories of a Murder belongs on that list. I've still never seen another movie that can go from comedy to dark police procedural so deftly.

This made me think of The Untold Story: Human Meat Roast Pork Buns. That's more of a comedy police procedural combined with a dark serial killer movie though. Anthony Wong is excellent as always. But it's not on Netflix.

What is on netflix is the glorious The Fog of War, an Errol Morris joint that consists of a single inteview with Robert Strange McNamara. It's doesn't redeem that monster entirely, but it is an interesting meditation on the banality of evil and how statistical analysis can be used to justify objectively terrible situations. Also you get a dope Phillip Glass score.

They also have Morris' The Thin Blue Line, which pretty much gave birth to the entire "crime reenactment" genre and has some great editing and imagery.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 5, 2012

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I second that Robert McNamera documentary . A high school class used a good portion of that documentary to illustrate rationalizing evil and coming to terms with horrific consequences to actions and decisions. Ill have to rewatch that sometime, its been almost 10 years since i saw it and the interview haunted me for a while.

david_a posted:

I don't remember that guy at all from Twin Peaks. Then again, I think all his stuff was post-resolution of the Laura Palmer murder, which is when the show went from :suspense: to :regd09:. I'm still mad I bothered watching the rest of it... No, the last episode absolutely does not make up for it.

Thompson only appeared in 2 episodes and it was season 2 anyway. I only figured out it was him when I was researching the musical and saw his credits. I have mixed feelings about Twin Peaks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

It was pretty sad, but not because of a "success that didn't come". I got the impression that the guy was pretty well-off after the whole Rock-Afire thing, and for his various other inventions, but the sad part was that the guy peaked early with the Rock-Afire Explosion and then just completely faded into obscurity along with the animatronic band. The sad thing was the unused, dusty workshop that looked like a tomb, like a time capsule from a post-apocalyptic alternate 1980's, with faux-wood paneling and a warehouse full of old robot parts. But I didn't feel like Aaron Fechter was personally suffering, financially or otherwise.

I guess that's what I meant: the guy's not in financial distress, but he seemed to eager to make his mark on the world when he was young. He mentions "solving the gas crisis" as the thing that made him be an inventor in archival footage, and then again as something he'd like to do in the present. I do think part of what makes his situation sadder is that he might have the luxury of being able to keep up his tomb of a factory and preserve it in that condition. When I talk about success, I mean fame and ongoing active application for a brilliant mind, like he thought he'd be going on to bigger and better things forever and he just never had his chance.

moller posted:

What is on netflix is the glorious The Fog of War, an Errol Morris joint that consists of a single inteview with Robert Strange McNamara. It's doesn't redeem that monster entirely, but it is an interesting meditation on the banality of evil and how statistical analysis can be used to justify objectively terrible situations. Also you get a dope Phillip Glass score.

They also have Morris' The Thin Blue Line, which pretty much gave birth to the entire "crime reenactment" genre and has some great editing and imagery.

I can find Thin Blue Line, but Fog of War doesn't seem to be up for me. I'm using the PC version of the site.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

even beyond the red room/black lodge scenes, even the "normal" scenes have such a slow, drawn out pace along with a disconnected, parody level soap drama style. twin peaks was always lynch's peyton place, but the pacing of the finale is so deliberate, contrast it to the slow but graceful pilot, the change in aesthetic is crazy

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Jack Gladney posted:

I can find Thin Blue Line, but Fog of War doesn't seem to be up for me. I'm using the PC version of the site.

Drat. Terribly sorry. I think it used to be there. I'm bad at this Netflix thing.

You can still get the DVD but who does that. Last I checked the whole thing was on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8TOJy3eO1A

So since I failed on that, how about Dead Man, Jim Jarmusch's psychedelic western about a drifter mistaken for a poet, tobacco, and Iggy Pop? It's no El Topo but I'd say it's worth a watch. I haven't seen too much other Jarmusch, but it seems to me that he is sort of polarizing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

moller posted:

Drat. Terribly sorry. I think it used to be there. I'm bad at this Netflix thing.

You're not lying. It was up last week on either the US or Finnish version of Netflix instant, because we watched it.

EDIT: Still up in Finland.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Two Worlds posted:

even beyond the red room/black lodge scenes, even the "normal" scenes have such a slow, drawn out pace along with a disconnected, parody level soap drama style. twin peaks was always lynch's peyton place, but the pacing of the finale is so deliberate, contrast it to the slow but graceful pilot, the change in aesthetic is crazy

Twin Peaks all around is just loving awesome. I could've went into a deep depression when I had no more to watch. I wish Lynch would make another movie or TV show or something.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

RizieN posted:

Twin Peaks all around is just loving awesome. I could've went into a deep depression when I had no more to watch. I wish Lynch would make another movie or TV show or something.

He guest starred on the last season of Louie, which was pretty great. He may have also directed? His episodes were very Lynchian.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea I forgot about that show, I always start watching it after my wife falls asleep and I can't sleep, but then forget about it later on. I'll have to check those episodes out for sure.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Netflix has 17 seasons worth of Top Gear (U.K.) for your viewing pleasure. I am likely late to the party, but I started watching in the 17th season and have loved this show quite a bit. Looking forward to pouring over the previous 16 to see all the shenanigans these Brits get into.

DrPeepers
Apr 11, 2004

traveling midget posted:

He guest starred on the last season of Louie, which was pretty great. He may have also directed? His episodes were very Lynchian.

Netflix has Season 5 of Psych, episode 12 "dual spires" which is a spoof episode of Twin Peaks and brought back all the nostalgia I had for it. It even has a ton of the twin peaks original cast and a bunch of inside jokes, definitely worth a watch.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Since I started watching the X-Files, with has been in my queue since day one, I also decided to finally watch Fire in the Sky which felt vaguely related.

I had already seen the abduction scenes on YouTube (more on those later), but I wanted to see them in context. The movie is a "based on true events" yarn about a logger (Travis Walton) who gets abducted. Nobody believes his crew mates when they decide to tell their story, the town starts turning against them, Travis shows up 5 days later with amnesia, there's some guilt about his pals leaving him to get snatched, blah blah. Fairly boring melodrama.

The only reason the movie is at all notable is the scenes aboard the alien craft, created by ILM. drat. :stare: Whereas most media portrays aliens as very futuristic, cold, and even sterile, these aliens just don't give a drat. Their weird pseudo-organic ship is filthy as hell; filled with forgotten rotting corpses, dust-caked hallways, and piles of random discarded junk. Rather than clean surgical procedures, their experiments consist of man-handling the abductee, smearing big globs of sterilizing gel (?) into their mouths (probably mostly to shut them up), and crudely jamming instruments into their throats/necks/eye all while they stand around looking bored, waiting for their shift to get over so they can go back to watching space-football and knocking back some brews.

This is not a very good movie, and the cool parts are probably only like 10 minutes total, but that is by far the most horrifying abduction scene I've ever seen. :tinfoil:

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
I went on a triad movie kick a little ways back and found Vengeance to be exactly what I was hungry for. Johnnie To directing, which has always been a green light for me.

A retired French hitman turned chef comes to Hong Kong intent on getting revenge for his murdered daughter, her husband and children. If you don't know To's style, it's archetypal Hong Kong crime: Bullets, blood and over the top scenario staging.

There's a few To flicks on netflix. Exiled is a bit more over the top, but has a fantastic finale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

traveling midget posted:

He didn't direct, it was just an acting role. And he gave back the check because he felt bad that the crew of Louie was like three guys.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

david_a posted:

but that is by far the most horrifying abduction scene I've ever seen. :tinfoil:

I watched Fire in the Sky once almost 20 years ago when it premiered on network TV and still have nightmares about those abduction scenes. I was somewhere between 8 and 10. Sometimes when I'm alone in the dark I'll have a random image from those scenes pop into my head and I feel legitimate terror.

When FitS first showed up on netflix a couple years ago just seeing the poster triggered a nightmare. Movies don't tend to scare me, aside from loud noise jump scares startling me occasionally. But aliens that even kind of look like grays and I'm terrified.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
On Streaming, after watching Buffy for a while now(and Angel), I'm thinking that neither series measure up to Firefly. I don't know if it was just that better talent was hired for that series or what. Does Wheedon strike any of you as inconsistent as well?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Whedon strikes me as being bad crap that only :spergin: like, but like that's just my opinion mannnnn

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The quality of Whedon's work depends entirely on the power of the premise. Buffy was a fantastic movie, but the show is kind of weak because how much can you write about a high school vampire hunter? Turns out, a shitload, but it got stale before s01e01. It's high concept, which works for a movie, but not so well for a show.
Firefly is a great premise, Space Revolutionaries, and there was a lot of material to write about, and a lot of backstory for the characters.
Dollhouse was bizarre, with a whole bunch of terrible episodes and the occasional masterpiece. The premise allowed for basically any story to be told, since the characters were effectively blank paper dolls that could have other stories' characters printed onto them, but unfortunately he went a little crazy with the metastory and instead of making it a strange, elaborate psychological horror thing like most of the show suggested, he turned it into a weird Mad Max + mind zombies thing.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 6, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

The quality of Whedon's work depends entirely on the power of the premise. Buffy was a fantastic movie, but the show is kind of weak because how much can you write about a high school vampire hunter? Turns out, a shitload, but it got stale before s01e01. Firefly is a great premise, Space Revolutionaries, but it probably would've gotten bad by season 2. Dollhouse was bizarre, with a whole bunch of terrible episodes and the occasional masterpiece.

I don't know man, the whole space cowboys thing with unlikable characters was done better in a freakin anime.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't know man, the whole space cowboys thing with unlikable characters was done better in a freakin anime.

Yeah, but for what it's worth, people tend to agree that it's the best anime ever made.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
That's a bit much. Outlaw Star's really not that good.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

To be fair animes don't have set budgets or Fox interfering with the show.

With a better budget and freedom to do what he wanted I think Whedon could've made a great show with Firefly. He had a great set of actors to work with. But we got "two by two, men in blue!" and whorehouses made out of corrugated tin instead.

But hey the episode with the crazy space guy who takes over the ship is a sci-fi classic.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

That's a bit much. Outlaw Star's really not that good.

I wish more spaceships fought things with pistols and axes that they held in their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Firefly was a boring show. I watched the whole thing and I can't tell you a loving thing about what I watched. The show was just stuffed to the gills with nerd pandering poo poo. No wonder nobody watched it.

• Locked thread