Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Are there any roasts/ varietals of coffee that don't make very good espresso? Or is it just a preference thing? I have had two espresso roasts and while they were really good I'd like to try something a little more FC+, but I know next to nothing about if it will be decent or not. Can I make espresso out of the same types of coffee that I like to make pour-over out of?

Some coffee is better as one as the other.

Augies has Kenyan French Mission (which is kind of a heirloom, one estate deal). Ok as coffee, but drat exceptional as espresso with just a touch of milk (macchiato or real cap) . Fruity chocolate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If anyone is interested in getting a Kalita wave pourover cone, Seattle Coffee Gear has a 15% off coupon for them right now. Enter KALITA15 at checkout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_uTdSz_G-0&hd=1

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Bob_McBob posted:

If anyone is interested in getting a Kalita wave pourover cone, Seattle Coffee Gear has a 15% off coupon for them right now. Enter KALITA15 at checkout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_uTdSz_G-0&hd=1
I'm tempted to pick one up because I like the flat bottom concept. However, I already have a Clever and a Bonmac dripper, so I don't know if that's really necessary.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just saw an infomercial for an aeropress knockoff that...wait for it...uses K-Cups as the coffee source. Thankfully, the website on the commercial doesn't load. Maybe this will dissuade people from buying.

In all seriousness, why the hell was this thing even invented? Jesus.
:ughh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Uhh...for people that don't want to spend the $200 on a keurig or whatever but don't want to deal with those messy grounds and measuring it out?

I'm really confused why this exists. I'm not gonna go buy k cups without a keurig...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I guess I was referring to the quality of coffee this thing will produce. But I see your point.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, for $30 that's a pretty good idea. Not defending the coffee, but the idea is pretty decent product-wise.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Yeah, it'll sell with the kind of people that nwin mentioned, I suppose.

traveling midget posted:

Looking for a good drip coffee maker, but can't drop $300 on a Technivorm?

Check out the $80 Zojirushi Fresh Brew.

• Stylish automatic coffee brewer with 1.5-liter thermal carafe
  • Stainless-steel carafe keeps coffee hot for hours
  • 1025 watts; electronic clock/timer with preset function; auto shut-off for safety
  • Clever brew-and-serve lid design; easy-to-read water gauge
  • Measures 15 by 12 by 9 inches; 1-year warranty

Seems to perform better with chilled, not cold, water. Fits the normal gold cone filter if you should want that. Enjoy!

Also, I got one of these. What ratios should I use? I'm assuming the 17.7 mentioned in the OP would work, but can anyone with one of these chime in with the ratio they use? Instruction manual has scoops instead of coffee weight.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Just popping in with a recommendation for UK goons: http://yorkcoffeeemporium.co.uk/coffee.html

Since I got an Aeropress I've been getting my beans from here as they roast to order. Pricey but the quality is great. Currently swapping between Sumatran Lintong as my weekday morning expresso and Australian Skybury as my weekend latte.

Has anyone here experimented with the inverted method of using an Aeropress? Any feedback or suggestions?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

hotsauce posted:

I just saw an infomercial for an aeropress knockoff that...wait for it...uses K-Cups as the coffee source. Thankfully, the website on the commercial doesn't load. Maybe this will dissuade people from buying.

In all seriousness, why the hell was this thing even invented? Jesus.
:ughh:

I recently saw an infomercial for a reusable K-cup. Their reasoning was "Look at all that waste from the K-cups!" All I could think is, "Then why don't you just get a normal coffee maker?"

Also, that coffee cup says "COFEE".

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

dema posted:

Just ordered one of these to control the power to my espresso machine:
Belkin WeMo Home Automation Switch for Apple iPhone

Hopefully it works well.

I've been using one of these with my Silvia for awhile and it works awesome. Totally recommend it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hotsauce posted:

I guess I was referring to the quality of coffee this thing will produce. But I see your point.

Oh, I was agreeing with you! I was just imagining why people would want it, that's all. My wife and I used to be on the Keurig train...then I realized that all coffee should not taste like that-that's when I came here and bought a CCD and started my downward spiral into coffee addiction. My wife still insists on using the Keurig though. She likes flavored coffees and just pours a million ounces of creamer in it anyways, so it never tastes like actual coffee. I got sick of having all that plastic waste though and spending all that cash on those K cups, so I bought some of those reusable K cups and it works well enough for her. I'd go back to a normal drip, but she only has one cup a day and it's easy enough this way.

As for me, I'm getting an Aeropress for my birthday so I'm pretty happy about that. Now I just need a hand grinder for when I travel and I'm set!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

ephori posted:

I've been using one of these with my Silvia for awhile and it works awesome. Totally recommend it.

Cool! I set mine up this morning. Super easy process and seems to work great.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Is this a worthwhile conical burr grinder?

http://www.amazon.com/GX610050-Professional-Conical-selector-Saintless/dp/B005FQ24XA/

It does not have enough reviews on amazon to really be sure.

The Capresso 560 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder also looks good but some of the reviews are complaining about non-replaceable burrs once they dull out.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

ded posted:

The Capresso 560 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder also looks good but some of the reviews are complaining about non-replaceable burrs once they dull out.

So the important question is: How many cups of coffee can you grind on one set of steel burrs? The answer is "more than 4 per day for 6 years."

Honestly, with a min of 10yrs on the burrs, I can't see you not getting your money's worth on a $90 grinder. Unless you do something stupid like put gravel in there, or try to use it for a commercial coffee shop or something.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ded posted:

Is this a worthwhile conical burr grinder?

http://www.amazon.com/GX610050-Professional-Conical-selector-Saintless/dp/B005FQ24XA/

It does not have enough reviews on amazon to really be sure.

If you're going to spend that much then you might as go with a Baratza.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Does anyone have the Bodum Bistro grinder? I can't seem to make a good pour over cup and I want to blame it on an inconsistent grind rather than my (likely) incompetence. I feel like I've tried every possible variation on grind size, quantity and temperature. Tried a variety of beans too. There always is this lingering astringency at the top of my mouth.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

geetee posted:

Does anyone have the Bodum Bistro grinder? I can't seem to make a good pour over cup and I want to blame it on an inconsistent grind rather than my (likely) incompetence. I feel like I've tried every possible variation on grind size, quantity and temperature. Tried a variety of beans too. There always is this lingering astringency at the top of my mouth.

I just ordered one from amazon canada for use with my aeropress. It was 40 dollars cheaper for some reason (a rare occurrence up here). If you don't mind waiting a week I can give my full report, but from what I've seen it has the best reviews for burr grinders in that price range.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Gay but Spooky posted:

I just ordered one from amazon canada for use with my aeropress. It was 40 dollars cheaper for some reason (a rare occurrence up here). If you don't mind waiting a week I can give my full report, but from what I've seen it has the best reviews for burr grinders in that price range.

Definitely interested to hear your take on it. My pour over technique is probably just horrible. I hope you have better luck than me. I haven't used my Aeropress in a while, so I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So the important question is: How many cups of coffee can you grind on one set of steel burrs? The answer is "more than 4 per day for 6 years."

Honestly, with a min of 10yrs on the burrs, I can't see you not getting your money's worth on a $90 grinder. Unless you do something stupid like put gravel in there, or try to use it for a commercial coffee shop or something.

Well then. I guess that answers that.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

geetee posted:

It's "not bad". Definitely not as good as anything from Baratza, but if you can get it for a decent price it's alright. It's fine for drip, pour over, french press.. obviously not espresso.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

ded posted:

Well then. I guess that answers that.

Sorry if my reply came of snippy. It looks a little snippy to me, scrolling up, and I have no idea why.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I asked about this in the recommendations thread, and they advised to post here!

Has anyone has any experience with the Aeropress?

We have a Rancilio Silvia at home and love it, but when we travel it's depressing to be stuck with bad hotel coffee. My husband's birthday is coming up, so I wanted to get him a fun toy to use to make great tasting coffee on the go.

I see in the OP Gravity endorses it (the cons listed aren't a deal breaker for me), so I'm pretty sure I'd like it, unless anyone else has a horror story.

I'm also confused by the pictures and trying to figure out if these are different or the same items, because when you search on Amazon you get different listings - the one listed as the "AeroPress by Aerobie" looks crappy in the pics, the one that says "AeroPress by Aeropress" looks much nicer, but I wonder if they are the same and just different shots/angles.

If they ARE the same I'd like to get the one that comes with the travel case (Aerobie) but don't want to get burned on a knockoff.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...2Ck%3Aaeropress

Thoughts?

See the difference in appearance:

Aerobie:

AeroPress:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I actually do exactly that-- I have a Silvia at home, and I take an Aeropress and a hand grinder with me when I travel. It rules, and is totally worth the trouble. Those Aeropresses in your post are the same. Aerobie invented it, so that's definitely not a knockoff.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Both are exactly the same. The bit opaque plastic ones are the new version, when the whole BPA scare made them switch to BPA-free plastic. The clear plastic ones are the older models that aren't certified to be BPA-free (most likely are fine, though).
Only the material of the plastic is what's been changed.

So yeah, get the travel case one if you're so inclined. Not a knockoff.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I liked my aeropress-thing back when I got it and used it a bunch. I've since switched back to french press, but I remember it being incredibly easy to clean. I think my method was unscrew cap -> eject puck -> rinse off -> dry. It's a lot easier than cleaning out a french press in my experience. I can't really speak about the quality of the coffee it makes since I was brewing probably the worst coffee money can buy in it, but it was easy to use/clean.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Am I going to get a decent enough "espresso" with good beans, aero press, and a Virtuoso with Preciso Burr? Is the Preciso Burr worth it? Should I go another route?

Really I'm looking for convenience. I love espresso, I can easily get a $2.50 espresso every day but it's not on the way to work and I'd much rather have the ability to make it at work.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Am I going to get a decent enough "espresso" with good beans, aero press, and a Virtuoso with Preciso Burr? Is the Preciso Burr worth it? Should I go another route?

Really I'm looking for convenience. I love espresso, I can easily get a $2.50 espresso every day but it's not on the way to work and I'd much rather have the ability to make it at work.

You will not get anything even close to resembling a fake espresso with an aeropress. It is just strong coffee.

Get a Virtuoso and a cheaper Saeco, that is the cheapest path to espressoland.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If you are after straight espresso, the reconditioned MyPressi Twist V2 is only $118. Pair this with a good grinder and you will be able to make some amazing shots.

The benefit of the Preciso over the Virtuoso with Preciso burrs is the fine adjustment for espresso. With the Virtuoso, the suitable range of adjustment for espresso may be only a few click from choking to gushing sink shot. Spend as much as you can on the grinder. Once you have the most minimally capable true espresso machine, the grinder is the most important piece of equipment.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
The cheaper saecos have that pressurized portafilter or whatever so they won't be picky about the grind, right (well, taste is a different story I assume)?

I'm tempted by the MyPressi, but I would need a good grinder for that, right? An encore is not going to cut it, I assume...

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

My office is getting Kean coffee as the bean of the month. This is nuts. I love Blue Tiger coffee service (note I have no idea how much this costs, probably alot).

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

For those of you who use a whirley popcorn popper, can/do you use it for both roasting beans and popping corn kernels? Basically, am I going to want a coffee-exclusive popper if I like roasting coffee and making popcorn on my stove?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I've always wondered this and probably figured this was the best place to ask: How does the coarseness of filters affect the taste of the coffee? There are a few coffee fanatics at tested.com who attacked the Espro for having fine filters on a french press due to that very reason. Can someone give me some insight on this?

I think the video was at this link: http://www.tested.com/videos/44355-quick-look-at-the-new-espro-coffee-press/

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It can definitely affect taste, but more than taste it greatly affects mouthfeel (which also does have some effect on taste). If you have a very fine filter on a french press it sort of defeats the purpose of doing french press coffee, which is to have all of those oils and suspended sediment in your coffee which leads to it's noted fuller mouthfeel. A fine filter is going to take a lot of that away.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

eggrolled posted:

For those of you who use a whirley popcorn popper, can/do you use it for both roasting beans and popping corn kernels? Basically, am I going to want a coffee-exclusive popper if I like roasting coffee and making popcorn on my stove?

I use mine for popcorn every now and then and don't have any issues with it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Sorry if my reply came of snippy. It looks a little snippy to me, scrolling up, and I have no idea why.

Nope it gave me the answer I was looking for. I didn't realize the burrs would last that long.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Is $25+ per lb the norm for green kona beans?

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
I finally pulled the trigger on a Hario Slim Mill and Clever Dripper a week or two ago. While the quality of my coffee has dramatically improved, I have an issue. My travel mug should be ashamed of itself. Can I get a suggestion for a travel mug with at least 16 ounces of capacity that's up to the task of carrying my coffee without spilling it?

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Glockamole posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a Hario Slim Mill and Clever Dripper a week or two ago. While the quality of my coffee has dramatically improved, I have an issue. My travel mug should be ashamed of itself. Can I get a suggestion for a travel mug with at least 16 ounces of capacity that's up to the task of carrying my coffee without spilling it?

I have had great luck with all of the Thermos, Nissan brand products. In the past, and maybe even now, they had a lifetime guarantee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Glockamole posted:

This might not have universal appeal but I was really excited about it when I discovered that I could just use my own mason jars with a nice washable lid: http://cuppow.com/

Whenever I think of metal travel mugs I remember the deathly stench that wafted out of my parents' mugs even right out of the dishwasher. Glass is so much easier to clean and it's really easy to replace. A whole flat of glass "travel mugs" is cheaper than a single travel mug at starbucks last I checked.