Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Manifest posted:

Someone at my local shop traded an army of bronze marines in, and it's reaaaaally boring looking.

That's my worry, I'll paint up my overly repainted test marine later for goon approval checks before deciding. (Same process that turned my green dark eldar into white ones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

richyp posted:

Speaking of metallics I grabbed some Forgeworld armour kits and am tempted to start a new marine project. I've been looking at the Minotaur's but am not totally convinced that an all bronze looking marine will just look a bit too flat.

Should I do this or does someone have any other suggestions on cool looking marine paint schemes I should look at painting instead?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/downloads/product/pdf/h/Horus_Heresy_Painting_Guide.pdf

FW released guides for four of the Space Marine Legions. I'm doing World Eaters at the moment and loving it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, that copper experiment was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. This is going to be pretty interesting once I get to the weathering stage. Between the heat scoring and the corrosion effects where the sulfuric acid and hydrogen sulfide in the rain on the planet the tank is battling on has reacted with the bare copper(In places where the weathering sealant has worn off), it will be really interesting.

Now I just have to pickup/mix the appropriate paints and make custom washes and I think I can pull it off... I hope.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Hellbeard posted:

I've never played Silent Hill but it sounds cool. :downs:
Here's another update.

Looking good! Do you have a plan for them, or are you just making a squad of 1:35 Bundeswehr for the hell of it?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

HardCoil posted:

Looking good! Do you have a plan for them, or are you just making a squad of 1:35 Bundeswehr for the hell of it?

Thanks! They're 1:72 actually. A really great scale for historical/modern wargaming because you can get awesome models of vehicles and stuff for cheap.
They're for a young German miniatures company what asked me to make them. Hopefully they will be cast and everything and that will be awesome.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Fearless posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/downloads/product/pdf/h/Horus_Heresy_Painting_Guide.pdf

FW released guides for four of the Space Marine Legions. I'm doing World Eaters at the moment and loving it.

I may give the Astral Claws ago, as I've attempted the main legions/chapters at some point or another and they would probably have a lot of Mk IV gear around the time of the Badab War.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

I may give the Astral Claws ago, as I've attempted the main legions/chapters at some point or another and they would probably have a lot of Mk IV gear around the time of the Badab War.

Something like this hastily re-painted Blood Raven but less boring

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
'Hastily painted', gently caress you. That would take me like 12 hours to even look half as good :mad:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Creepy Goat posted:

'Hastily painted', gently caress you. That would take me like 12 hours to even look half as good :mad:

It was a quick tester, even for me (just under an hour going from the post timestamps). Using a big brush something like:
code:
- Drybrush everything grey
- Light drybrush everything leadbelcher (just enough to deposit some of the metallic flakes over the grey)
- Blue shoulder pads and gold trim
- Couple blobs of silver on the edges of some of the armour and shoulder pad trim (the flash shows them up nicely)
- Wash the whole thing black - Hairdryer it dry
- Paint a couple of light blue lines on the edge of the shoulder pad. And fill in the crevices on the armour in thin black.
Don't think I bothered cleaning the brush at any point, so that would've saved some time.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
My hands are just far too jerky for highlighting, I spent about 3 hours painting over my attempted Blood Red highlights on four terminators with Red Gore, then re-highlighting them over and over because I constantly wiggled the lines or the tip brushed against an adjacent area.

I am good at mud/dirt weathering though, it helps hide the lovely paintjob :shobon:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Creepy Goat posted:

My hands are just far too jerky for highlighting, I spent about 3 hours painting over my attempted Blood Red highlights on four terminators with Red Gore, then re-highlighting them over and over because I constantly wiggled the lines or the tip brushed against an adjacent area.

I am good at mud/dirt weathering though, it helps hide the lovely paintjob :shobon:

Try blending, if you're having problems with edge highlighting. I wasn't too pleased with the edges on the last one, so I did another one using some blending instead. It's a lot more subtle and will look better with another layer or too to hide some of the flatness, but here's how I did the next one.

(A bit slower than before because I was photographing it stage by stage, but still pretty quick)

Also, note to self, don't prime in really cold temperatures as it textures the paint.

code:
Dry brush everything metal

code:
Mix some silver into the metal, 
unstirred, pull the paint vertically across the model to get a gradient from bright to dark. 
Paint the other base colours.

code:
Wash black

code:
Repaint larger metallic surfaces with the same approach as above, do the same with gold and silver on the trim.
What I'll probably do, when I paint them properly is a combination of the two, as the newer one doesn't have the same level of definition.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Nice step-by-step :buddy: Your gold is really crisp, is it a vallejo colour? I've never got along well with the citadel metallics. Both the gold trim and green eyes really pop, green has always been my favourite for lenses/eyes.

I think I'll give that process a shot with my current colour scheme (dheneb and blue). Basecoat dheneb, drybrush bleached bone, wash ogryn flesh or watered down devlan mud, highlight bleached bone/skull white. Then I'll take your pointer and try blending the blue. I'm a messy painter so trying for that super crisp style is probably a waste of time.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Creepy Goat posted:

Nice step-by-step :buddy: Your gold is really crisp, is it a vallejo colour? I've never got along well with the citadel metallics. Both the gold trim and green eyes really pop, green has always been my favourite for lenses/eyes.

I think I'll give that process a shot with my current colour scheme (dheneb and blue). Basecoat dheneb, drybrush bleached bone, wash ogryn flesh or watered down devlan mud, highlight bleached bone/skull white. Then I'll take your pointer and try blending the blue. I'm a messy painter so trying for that super crisp style is probably a waste of time.

Yeah the gold is VMC old gold with some VMC platinum as highlight.

Don't worry about being messy, all of a models detail comes in the last stage, so when painting large numbers of models go for dry brushing and washing for speed then spend your time on the fun bit of detailing. I usually do 10 or so models at once to the stage above when I have some downtime then I'll go back and actually do the fun bit.

I've got about 500pts of Dark Angels based and washed ready to actually finish. The Astral Claw scheme above is just a quick base test that I'll come back to when the Dark Angels are finished.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
PaintVagrant just walked away with Master Craftsman at Warmachine Weekend! Hell yeahhhhh

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

richyp posted:

You sound like you're going through the same phase I am of trying to pick a founding legion to paint your heresy era marines as.
I've got some coming and I don't even have an army. I'm just really down to paint up some classic loving marines. At the moment I'm torn between doing them as Emperor's Children or Alpha Legion.
Either way I suppose I could use them if I ever decided to start a 40k army again.

Implementor
Oct 28, 2007
Just got into the hobby after reading a bunch of Dan Abnett's books. I picked up Dark Vengeance and started painting up the DAs. My only prior painting experience was with some minis for D&D from way back when, and they were terrible. I just finished my first marine and I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

Sorry for the phone-quality photos. I had a hell of a time trying to line highlight on a test model so I went with a mix of mostly drybrush and some spot line highlights. I wanted a more subtle look since my line highlights made him too tron-like the first time.

The parts that I'd like to make better for next time are the shoulder symbols--they were supposed to be a bone color but they turned out a little brown after washing with Army Painter soft tone ink (I think? Don't have the bottle in front of me). They are a little messy from my line highlights as well.

Anyway, wanted to share. Happy with him overall and excited to start the rest of them. I'd appreciate any criticism.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Manifest posted:

You sound like you're going through the same phase I am of trying to pick a founding legion to paint your heresy era marines as.
I've got some coming and I don't even have an army. I'm just really down to paint up some classic loving marines. At the moment I'm torn between doing them as Emperor's Children or Alpha Legion.
Either way I suppose I could use them if I ever decided to start a 40k army again.

I'm doing some night lords right now and my intent is to make it so many of them are interchangeable when the heresy stuff shows up.

Between Emperor's Children and Alpha Legion, I would take EC just because metallics and purple are badass.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

natetimm posted:

I'm doing some night lords right now and my intent is to make it so many of them are interchangeable when the heresy stuff shows up.

Between Emperor's Children and Alpha Legion, I would take EC just because metallics and purple are badass.

Ha ha Night Lords was the other chapter I had considered. They've got great color scheme.
How are you planning to make them interchangeable?

Crowleraptor
Sep 26, 2012
So I got my huge forgeworld order and this is my first time with forgeworld models, my big all encompassing question is "how do I fix it" ie; bent swords
Same process as fine cast?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, hold the bent piece under hot running water for a 10 count and then try to rebend it. Dunk it in a tub of cold water once it's straight.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Crowleraptor posted:

So I got my huge forgeworld order and this is my first time with forgeworld models, my big all encompassing question is "how do I fix it" ie; bent swords
Same process as fine cast?

If something is too warped, make them replace it.
The QC at forgeworld has gone to poo poo in the past few years.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

This is the kind of moment where I find myself hoping for a nice, long, rambling TheCosmicMuffet post about Forgeworld QC.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Thought I would add another weekend welp:

I dont know why I bother painting :smith:

These are pretty clearly silicone. I mean, there is painting and pigment involved, but it's mostly a different skill. My wife has done some of this stuff herself, it's used a lot in hollywood film prosthetics. You make silicone and you pigment it and add freckles and use texturing for pores and you plug in individual hairs with a needle tool and stuff like that.

See also: Ron Mueck.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Manifest posted:

If something is too warped, make them replace it.
The QC at forgeworld has gone to poo poo in the past few years.

What do you mean the past few years? Its always been terrible.

Crowleraptor
Sep 26, 2012
So I'm not hugely annoyed the quality seems to be pretty good aside from some bent auto guns and swords, shouldn't be too hard to fix.
My major annoyance, which is probably a bit of stupidity on my part, is that I didn't realize the mkIIb didn't take the regular door replacements, so I got some chaos ones that don't fit

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Crowleraptor posted:

So I'm not hugely annoyed the quality seems to be pretty good aside from some bent auto guns and swords, shouldn't be too hard to fix.
My major annoyance, which is probably a bit of stupidity on my part, is that I didn't realize the mkIIb didn't take the regular door replacements, so I got some chaos ones that don't fit

You're pretty lucky then. The legs on the Mk IV armour are about 2-3mm off from the front to the back with a nice seem running across all the ribbing. 1 of the heads is pretty deformed and a couple of torso's are out of alignment. Took a lot of cutting and filing to get them looking reasonable.

Still better than some of the DKoK I got a few years ago though.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I swear to god if ForgeWorld wasn't affiliated with 40k it'd have gone out of business a decade ago.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

These are pretty clearly silicone. I mean, there is painting and pigment involved, but it's mostly a different skill. My wife has done some of this stuff herself, it's used a lot in hollywood film prosthetics. You make silicone and you pigment it and add freckles and use texturing for pores and you plug in individual hairs with a needle tool and stuff like that.

See also: Ron Mueck.

The cast is made from silicone, he sculpted the mold out of pottery clay.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Oh mighty Painting and Modeling thread, what do you think of my Word Bearers Chaos Lord? Do you have any suggestions on where I should take it next? Is there anything here that doesn't work or could be improved? Do you have any suggestions about my technique?

Also the book sigil is a work in progress so it looks a bit naff until I redo it. Any suggestions about that would also be appreciated.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AgentF posted:

Oh mighty Painting and Modeling thread, what do you think of my Word Bearers Chaos Lord? Do you have any suggestions on where I should take it next? Is there anything here that doesn't work or could be improved? Do you have any suggestions about my technique?

This is photo related, not painting related, but I think your camera is too close to the figure. Try backing away a bit then cropping it later. You might want to prop it up on something so you can leave the camera in position/focus when you rotate the figure.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Manifest posted:

Ha ha Night Lords was the other chapter I had considered. They've got great color scheme.
How are you planning to make them interchangeable?

Well, if you read the fluff, the Night Lords were already pretty much rogue before the heresy even broke out. They were also into adorning themselves with trophies and other terrifying stuff. There are also sects of them that reject chaos even though they are rogue. You could have very chaos-looking Night Lords during the Heresy and very vanilla looking Night Lords in 40k. I'm hoping I can make some groups that could pass for either.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
A little progress.

There's some kind of preparation for a leg drop rig but as it looks I might just carve down and go from there. Not happy with the shoe soles either so they'll probably get a good resculpting at the end. I'll add the cargo pocket later.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cross-posting from the 40K thread: I have a metal model of Abaddon that has Kharn's head on it for some reason. Can any suggest a head from a bitz site that will look similar to the original, or in the same sort of look?

Hellbeard posted:

A little progress.

I love seeing these works in progress, they keep reminding me I need to get on the ball with even using my casting supplies. Do you have any pictures of your stuff after people have painted them?

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Thanks to everyone who has recommended LA Totally Awesome for paint stripping. That and an ultrasonic cleaner has allowed me to destroy very paint job in the city.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any links to tutorials explaining how to make and use a cheap wet palet? I figure I will be experimenting with mixing paint as I try to make realistic heat weathering for this tank.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any links to tutorials explaining how to make and use a cheap wet palet? I figure I will be experimenting with mixing paint as I try to make realistic heat weathering for this tank.

I just grab a tupperware lid, line it with a few layers paper towels then add water. Just lay a piece of wax paper down on top of the paper towels and keep them moist. To keep the paint just put the container back on the lid and keep it upside down.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I use a lovely one I made out of a shallow bowl, with a wet paper towel folded into it and a sheet of wax paper laid over the top. I've heard the better thing to do is get a tupperware container, like sandwich sized, and cut a sponge to fit before adding water and covering with wax paper. That way you can re-seal it and keep paint wet for days.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I thought you were supposed to use parchment paper, not waxed paper? Wouldn't waxed paper be worse since it's not (as) porous?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Probably but I didn't have parchment paper in the house. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

ANAmal.net posted:

Probably but I didn't have parchment paper in the house. :v:

Same here, it seems to work well enough. :shrug:

• Locked thread